I'm looking to buy pic related for a file server at home. Are these good for that?

I'm looking to buy pic related for a file server at home. Are these good for that?

amazon.com/Intel-BOXNUC8i3CYSM1-Home-Mini-Windows/dp/B07HHB2YLG

Attached: 313INypkRiL._AC_SY400_.jpg (417x198, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

topics-cdn.dell.com/OPT9020SFFOM-v1/images/GUID-2A806749-CADF-414D-B2CE-54B5FBBEAE19-low.jpg
amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GB-BRI5-8250-Compact-Graphics-Microphone/dp/B07CX171DG/ref=asc_df_B07CXH7DPS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309773039951&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6931593999691353216&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031326&hvtargid=pla-599566725084&th=1
in-win.com/en/ipc-server/ms04/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You want something you can put multiple hard drives inside, allows you remove or insert drives in a single action, supports ECC, has ECC RAM, has a lock that prevents physical access to the drives without the key or combination, and is resistant to fire, flooding, tornados, and drive bys.

not really if you want storage

just get a QNAP

Only if you're hosting a very small amount of data, since they have at most an M.2 and 2.5.
You can attach external storage to them, but it's not a very elegant solution.
These are better for HTPCs and unobtrusive word processors than file servers.

Get this instead.

Attached: 1535947711896.png (782x546, 233K)

Don't get the small form factor one, unless you want to yank the cd drive, get a raid controller, and use two 2.5 drives in raid1. There's not enough space for anything else in there.

jesus that's bigger than my couch, you do realize it's not the 1990s anymore right?

>70069671▶
>
> jesus that's bigger than my couch, you do realize it's not the 1990s anymore right?

Which makes your pee pee smaller than the tip of a pencil. Fuck off faggot.

It depends. The NUC's are decent and low power. Put an SSD in it, and a couple of USB drives attached, and yeah, it'll do alright.

If you really just want file storage, get a NAS.

If you want an actual server, something like the Dell PowerEdge T110 ii or HP ProLiant ML310e G8 should be easy enough entry. Keep in mind that both of these take ECC unbuffered RAM.

I picked up a Dell T110 ii (Xeon E3 1230v2 / 32GB / 4x 2TB) for $200 + $30 shipping a bit ago.

>Getting anything shintel

SPOILER Alert.

Attached: hp 705 g1.jpg (458x458, 25K)

>Anonymous 03/06/19(Wed)18:46:53 No.70069649▶
>
> Don't get the small form factor one, unless you want to yank the cd drive, get a raid controller, and use two 2.5 drives in raid1. There's not enough space for anything else in there.

>
>Don't get the small form factor one, unless you want to yank the cd drive, get a raid controller, and use two 2.5 drives in raid1. There's not enough space for anything else in there.

4 USB ports on the front, boot from a SD internally. Isnt that the DEFINITION of a FILE SERVER. If he wants speed to play movies ( not mentioned ) then he can drop a pair of 2.5" drives inside.

topics-cdn.dell.com/OPT9020SFFOM-v1/images/GUID-2A806749-CADF-414D-B2CE-54B5FBBEAE19-low.jpg

Do you even imageboard? holy fuck.

>win10

Make sure you use a new drive and toss that old one.

just buy a raspberry pi

this. i do this, then again im only hosting 6 gigs of files.

Only if you don't have much to serve. I'd go with another Synology myself. Very little fucking around with it once you spend a day or two learning it and looking shit up.

That thing can barely run an OS nevermind run as a file server. They're also not meant to be run 24/7 taking a certain load. You'll burn the fucking thing out...

well for mine i just use it as an http server and use syncplay so me and my online friends can watch movies off it and i can share random files and shit, its not under constant load. but if you want fucktons of space for hard drives i'd make a cheap am3+/am4 athlon build in a fractal node 804 case the fucking thing can literally hold like 20 full size HDDs

Do this only if your electricity cost you an arm/leg or if live in a car so you have no space or if you want to be a retard.

i dont see why you have to hate on the rpi, its a great machine i've had mine running a mumble server for years and not a single issue.

Rpi is a great machine, if your electricity cost an arm/leg or if you live in a car and don't want to use a laptop or if you want to be a retard.

none of the above is true for me. It's a great machine regardless. It runs memeian headless like a champ. This isn't fucking android OS we're talking about here. You don't need a fucking desktop environment or even an X server.

See that makes more sense and is more feasible.

a mumble server probably isn't too bad, if it's running well and keeping up then good.
but some people are trying to run media and gamer servers off those things while keeping them online 24/7 and it's just too much stress for a micro

yeah ill agree with you there since it doesnt have an actual heat sink unless you mod one on.

>1 10tb 3.5
>1 pcie x4 for a pcie ssd (1tb ofc)
>still keep based DVD drive, replace with blu-ray for maximum base
>its super smol
>super comfy

plz stop slandering based and delicious sff obtiplegz

Attached: Sonic Energy Drinks.png (640x623, 390K)

Absolutely fucking not

way too expensive for what it is, you can do better user

OP here, I used a Synology NAS about 5 years ago and it wasn't enough for my needs so I just built a PC and have been using it since. It's basically used for basic file storage, torrents, Plex, etc. It's getting up in age and it's a big tower, so a nuc is something I am seriously considering.

What did you mean by this falaman?

You need to get the Gigabyte BRIX Bri5:

amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GB-BRI5-8250-Compact-Graphics-Microphone/dp/B07CX171DG/ref=asc_df_B07CXH7DPS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309773039951&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6931593999691353216&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031326&hvtargid=pla-599566725084&th=1

Do not

Out of the 5 of those I bought 3 had motherboard issues

in-win.com/en/ipc-server/ms04/

Best compromise might be a case like this, a relatively small ITX box with 4x 3.5 hot swappable drive bays, it also has a 8x version that's about twice the size. I'm seriously considering one myself.

Attached: 234070.jpg (1000x593, 124K)

> no remote interface
> no hotswap
You'll be fine with a Microserver of any gen.