Minix3-netBSD, A Free Reliable and Secure microkernel OS

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

I would like to introduce you to this operating system that contains a microkernel, that means it contains 15000 lines of code vs 15M+ in linux, the kernel is reduced to a minimum and drivers operate in user mode, so a driver crash will not crash the whole system, additionally, the system is self-healing, crashed drivers are restarted when crashed.
It is being merged with the netBSD project to create a very reliable and lightweight OS.

It is already usable, but on PC, lacks USB support for now, development throttled because of lack of funding.
A version of minix actually already runs on your computer all the time in the background, fully capable of creating a server on the internet, and runs below ring 0 privilege level, but the source is a secret... bleepingcomputer.com/news/hardware/researchers-find-a-way-to-disable-much-hated-intel-me-component-courtesy-of-the-nsa/

Master talks:
The Design of a Reliable and Secure Operating System by Andrew Tanenbaum
youtube.com/watch?v=oS4UWgHtRDw
A reimplementation of NetBSD based on a microkernel by Andy Tanenbaum
youtube.com/watch?v=hvkn0VcjVPY

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINIX
Official webpage
minix3.org/

Attached: 450px-OS-structure.svg.png (450x240, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINIX_3
wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=ddekitusb&s[]=usb
cs.vu.nl/~ast/intel/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>A version of minix actually already runs on your computer all the time in the background, fully capable of creating a server on the internet, and runs below ring 0 privilege level, but the source is a secret
Saying that isn't how you get people to like Minix.
Also, microkernels are a terrible meme that don't work in practice. Enjoy all of your copying.

Great thread! I like the idea of microkernels and think that they'll actually get somewhere in the near future. However, I did not have a very good experience with Minix3. Most of the pkgsrc stuff I tried would fail to compile, or fail to run once compiled (example: dwm wouldn't accept input, and i3 wouldn't compile).
Really I think minix3 in its current state is very similar to where Hurd is, which is to say stuck in the past and unlikely to change.

However, there's a lot of promising microkernel operating systems that could break the mold and bring microkernels outside of their embedded niche. Genode is an operating system framework with Sculpt as a primary implementation. It is compatible with a variety of microkernels including the highly secure and formally verified seL4. Fuchsia is a new universal OS, apparently rumored to be an RTOS, developed and supported by Google. Its kernel is known as Zircon, which is a fork of Travis Geiselbrecht's littlekernel. Lastly, Redox is a microkernel OS written in the Rust programming language, which hopes to take advantage of its safety features.

>terrible meme that don't work in practice
We're not in 1980 anymore, grandpa. Microkernels have progressed a lot since Mach.
See L4/seL4 and pic related.

Attached: QNX_201x_logo.svg.png (500x86, 9K)

Minix-netBSD is on the point to being a desktop OS right now! Minix kernel is being fused with netBSD environment.

Did you read my post? I said I tried it, and it didn't work. It couldn't run a minimalist window manager. I highly doubt it could even remotely function as a desktop OS.

Yeah it still needs a few packages to have chromium and hopefully we will have our more modern wms soon, not a big fan of twm either...

I would prefer GNU/Minix, thanks.

yeah dude I get it. You can post the wikipedia link for minix3. Good for you

why?
no problem!

>lacks USB support

Attached: trash man 2.jpg (631x395, 110K)

it supports usb on a beaglebone black, and one can hack usb on an x86 with DDEkit ( wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=ddekitusb&s[]=usb ) but it is not the best way...
Not having usb is a good thing, because usb is cancer, but not being able to plug and play your stuff you want to use on a desktop is not cool...

He can even do it twice in a single post!

Attached: Z4y1ieprhrAys3YgDZ14NrsqgsqKDTfi0du2jRrBlADrZJiOJuJLqiXci3cciqSA8PLWf5LOSe4JweBjaPFRXouHOI5lTTq9XqyP (219x231, 8K)

Minix is GOD

if it has USB, at least atheros wifi and intel eth drivers, a browser tjat works and a good fs+file manager it can work.

>using open source kernel designed for botnet
No, fuck you, piece of shit, intel/NSA (or Intel + NSA) shill

>USB doesn't work
>USB = bad
lmao, what a fucking fuck and driverlet

>A version of minix actually already runs on your computer
Not on my ryzen though

>botnet
>intel
>NSA
Tell me more

>MINIX is most popular OS in the world
You should be able to figure out more from this

>hybrid/micro kernel
this is why Windows is superior than Tr*nix

The fuck is Trinix?
Can only find french band and Indonesian CDN

Tranix aka Linux post CoC
Lurk more

Oh, sorry, I guess I don't think about trannies this much

Rent free.

Hurd of certain type of cattle

>contains 15000 lines of code vs 15M+ in linux
Those are called drivers, it's easy to talk about how light your os is when it can't do much. Also fuck Tanenbaum for making it easy for intel to ship their botnet and being proud for it.
cs.vu.nl/~ast/intel/
>If nothing else, this bit of news reaffirms my view that the Berkeley license provides the maximum amount of freedom to potential users. If they want to publicize what they have done, fine. By all means, do so. If there are good reasons not to release the modfied code, that's fine with me, too.
what a cuck

>what a cuck
family