What is some good software for this? I have no experience with it before...

What is some good software for this? I have no experience with it before, since I have only ever used Unix and Unix-like operating systems.

Attached: dos.jpg (620x413, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freora.de/index.php?option=com_docman&task=view_cat&gid=30&Itemid=52
simtel.site/
ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/mtcp.html
brutman.com/mTCP/IRCjr.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Kings quest, and quest for glory.

Borland Turbo C++ for DOS

I don't play games. Sorry.
Oh, I've seen this before. Never knew what it was called. Thanks. I'm learning C++ at the moment, so this is good to know.

all Borland softweares, try them

it's free

>I don't play games. Sorry.
Then just use a normal OS, and Visual Studio.

I've tried them when I used to use Windows 95, and msdos. Can't remember anything about them though.

I normally use GNU with Emacs. Is that normal enough? I don't like Visual Studio.
Reflex by Borland looks pretty cool. Still runs of modern Windows, apparently.

>i have no experience with this ancient obsolete shitty cli oriented os
>because i have only ever used ancient shitty obsolete cli oriented os's

Attached: 1551866559646.jpg (629x800, 133K)

Well, they're totally different. But I don't see how Unix is obsolete today. It is still quite popular, even among consumers.

>I don't like Visual Studio
Why? Honest question.

Poo in loo iPajeet.

It's bloated and it seems to lag behind in terms of support for C++. I could get past the strange terminology it uses, but it doesn't seem like anything I would want to touch when compared to Emacs.

>it's bloated
Not a fan of features I guess.

I would rather add them as I need them. I don't like wasting disk space on things I will never need or want.

Anything more complicated than fizzbuzz is seen as bloat by neckbeards on Jow Forums.

>install FreeDOS with 16 Gb of RAM
>A-Okay
>try installing Windows 3 or Wind 95 with same amount of RAM
>Um please don't talk to me or my memory manager's driver again
How the FUCK does that even work?

FreeDOS doesnt utilise more than 64MB RAM, it ignores all the rest

Windows does not ignore and gets mad because it cannot comperehend anything above 256MB

No, it recognizes more then 64MB of RAM. But the point is in a virtual machine I can have 4+ Gb "installed" and FreeDOS doesn't complain about anything.

Use Win98, pretty sure there's a large RAM patch or hack you can do.

>Will eventually add the "bloat"
To each their own.

No, it doesn't mean I will eventually add everything. Some things are not, and will never be, useful to me.

I dont know about hacks but you can use Quarterdeck QEMM commercial memory manager from 1998 (its abandonware now) and then you get Windows 98 to work with 512MB RAM when it should have upper limit of 256MB

It will make your Windows more stable too

I think you can edit a few system config files so Windows 98 will see up to 2GB. Can't remember exactly, but I have heard this before.

freora.de/index.php?option=com_docman&task=view_cat&gid=30&Itemid=52

download the last file, VMM98SED.zip. Should allow for a 2GB or larger config in Win98.

Lotus 1 2 3
Arachne
MPXplay
DOSmid
Savepart
Doszip Commander
WCD
Ghost
uHex
Free Pascal
V8Power Tools
EtherDFS
MinEd
PKZIP (RIP Phil Katz)
NASM (80x86 assembler)

Feel free to look on simtel.site/ for more

I know you said you don't play games but DOSGames.com if you ever decide to look into it. X-Com, Jagged Alliance, and Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri come to mind as recommendations.

Obligatory: Vim

wangblows 3.1

Freedos is newer and is aware huge memory systems exist. 3.1 and 95 don't

Thanks. I was wondering what the best sites would be for this sort of software. Do you know of a good IRC client?

Surely, you're trolling.

God damn I hate zoomers

What? Can you get Irssi or Bitchx? They're the ones I like to use. But I'm used to Unix. Like I said, I have no experience with DOS.

ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/mtcp.html
this comes with IRCjr. Also consider JPirc (arachne browser plugin) and trumpet. leetirc if you can find it might be to your tastes.
brutman.com/mTCP/IRCjr.html

This has to be a troll. DOS is not a multitasking operating system, it doesn't even have a TCP/IP stack except third party commercial ones. You cannot get your faggot IRC clients for it.

What about this?

XCOM is kinda obsolete on DOS because OpenX COM repaired its bugs the DOS version never got rid off

(OpenXCOM rans on Linux and you actually need the DOS XCOM files to run it..)

DESQview

Attached: DESQview.jpg (720x444, 138K)

What about it? Trumpet is a third-party TCP/IP stack, as mentioned, you will need one. There is no bitchx or irssi. You're also gay.

Why are Unix users so goddamn ignorant?
Jagged Alliance runs on a gameboy advance and therefore you can play it on an emulator on Linux; Duke3D and Doom and Quake all have source ports and even Wolf3D with SDL runs on Linux. OpenXcom is fantastic, OpenRA, OpenRCT2, Open TTD, etc, are all great, and FreeCiv even runs on Solaris. Just because you can play a "Better" version elsewhere doesn't make the DOS version bad. There are people who unironically play Warframe, Paladins, Rainworld, nu-D44M on the nintendo switch, at fucking 720p or lower, at 30fps or lower, with horrible frameskips and poor frametimes, shit controls, tiny screen, etc. There are people who will play Farcry 4 on Xbox 360, despite the 512mb of VRAM severely limiting texture detail, draw distance, making bodies disappear if you turn your back, trees turning to 2D sprites if you're far enough away from them, etc, and it's still one of the best shooters on the platform. Should someone trying to use an xbawkz720blazeit avoid the game and go buy a Xbox1X, PS4Pro, Gayman PC? No. So don't tell someone trying to use MS-DOS to go use Linux because it's 999999% better for gaming.

That said, I agree with you, but the point remains.

OP give Keen4 a try. Or CornCob3d. Might remind you of TempleOS' flight simulator.

Listen up xigger I'm pretty sure it's for the novelty of "hey faggots guess what i'm chatting to you from DOS lol!!!" - not to use seriously day to day.

> Trumpet is a third-party TCP/IP stack, as mentioned, you will need one
Why is that such heresy?
I think you need to simmer down, son. Getting irrationally angry at small things isn't good for anyone,
>Why are Unix users so goddamn ignorant?
People who have never used an OS before generally don't know everything about it.
>I'm pretty sure it's for the novelty of "hey faggots guess what i'm chatting to you from DOS lol!!!" - not to use seriously day to day.
Yeah, it pretty much is. I've seen people do it before and thought it might be worth a laugh.

> stating the obvious

Attached: 11.gif (601x197, 32K)

i too don't give a fuck if OP doesn't want to play games either and heartily recommend Whiplash.

Attached: CMON STEP ON IT.webm (864x540, 2.94M)

Claiming bloat is the defacto
>No real reason
Reason

this is useless if you have no reason to switch from one task to another (do not have more than one useful software so no task switch is necessary)