I recently came into possession of a Dell PowerEdge 2950 server for basically free. 16GB ddr2...

I recently came into possession of a Dell PowerEdge 2950 server for basically free. 16GB ddr2, and from what I can tell 2 core 2 quads. Having never had a real big boy server before I thought it would be a neat thing to mess around with to learn, but I've already installed arch on it. This thing is fucking loud and eats power like an American at a buffet.

ITT: Suggest potential uses for this beastie. The worse the better.

Attached: Feel The POWER.jpg (425x225, 16K)

dude arch lmao
btw i use arch

install gentoo

Install proxmox and a ton of VMs for random crap, you can run a home server with FTP/SMB/Plex on one VM, pfsense in another, etc.

Use the PSU fans to dry your hair in the morning

asuh dude lmao

no botnet pls

reasonable, probably the closest to what I'll do

this thing is under my bed and when I turn it on I can feel my fucking bed shaking. Great for white noise and sleep desu. Also heats up the room quite a bit on cold nights!

This but use Fedora Server Edition

There is a BIOS setting for low power mode, it doesn't really effect performance it just means it will run hotter.

Doorstop. You should have taken its successor, the R710 which has cheap RAM and CPUs, and takes SATA drives.

Use it to set up a spam bot.

>install gentoo
/thread

recycle, the waste of power is not worth running
>this thing is under my bed and when I turn it on I can feel my fucking bed shaking. Great for white noise and sleep desu. Also heats up the room quite a bit on cold nights!
Enjoy your electric bill
This but unironcailly.

Recycler.
Not even kidding, there's nothing really to learn from it and it's inefficient and loud. Better and cheap alternatives exist if you actually need something.

I don't plan on running it continuously, I mostly just want to use it to learn as I said, and I got it basically for free

This takes SATA drives as well as SAS

desu I think I'm just gonna end up taking the ram out. This thing is unbearable but it feels so good to have real server hardware

Trash server, bin it

> Have server
> What do

What kind of question is that you retard. Everyone has different needs and requirements. If you don't even know what to do with your equipment you should just give up.

well desu I really intended this to be more to see the kind of shitposts y'all could come up with about uses for a server but its been pretty disappointing so far

> This thing is fucking loud
> Having never had a real big boy server before
I can tell.
So, how about openstreetmap server. Or your own cheap 99% availability dedicated server - I mean you can rent it to people.

I don't get it. Do americans eat power at buffets?

>This thing is fucking loud and eats power like an American at a buffet
get on my level you pleb

>im too retarded to know what C states are

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 8.25.47 PM.png (674x806, 82K)

b....but user san, the environment...

>ton of VMs
For limited definitions of "ton", given the measly (for a server) 16 GB RAM.
>home server, FTP, SMB, Plex, pfsense
This probably doesn't make sense if you care anything about your power bill. A cheap Celeron single board computer would do these things every bit as well, and pay for itself in saved electric bill compared to the PowerEdge in a couple months.

Well of course it's going to eat up power, your server is pretty powerful. I suggest if you're into creating media, such as 3d and or 2d animations or videos, servers can help with that. I say your server can quicken your render speed by a pretty long time. Good luck with your server!

I'm not so sure about that. A quad core Haswell laptop i7 is about as powerful as a dual quad core Xeon workstation from 2008 in multithreaded workloads, and absolutely BTFOs it on single threaded performance. A modern Ryzen desktop is considerably more powerful than that laptop Haswell chip.

It's not really a big boy server. Your current desktop cpu is probably faster than a pair of 10 year old Xeons.

If he has 8 total votes then he can make 8 headless VMs with 2GB of ram each. For things like home routing, NAS or Plex it’s plenty

it's just a case
the case is the powerful thing on this crap

hang it on the wall or something

>>consumes 1000 watts at the wall for smart phone levels of performance.

great find. i guess if you live in the north you can use it as a space heater. the only useful thing about old servers is that they typically have robust ECC based ram so any data that need to be protected in memory you could fire this up to work with it.

Heat your house with it, that's about what it's worth.

Shove it up your ass. Sideways.

I have a mac pro that's similarly specced, I've used it as an HTPC and now I use it as a 2nd desktop for when I'm too lazy to walk upstairs. Never felt underpowered,

Is this the home server thread?

I found a bag of some fibre/lan cards and several fibre 'cables' at a flea market once, is there anything fun I can do with them? The card says HP 4 Gb FC & 1000BT Adptr, apparently from 2006 so not the freshest shit.

Attached: IMG_3068.jpg (2272x1704, 677K)

after a lot of googling the answer seems to be: nope

IP over fibre? removed from linux long ago
connect to a SAN? sure, but don't have one
set up a SAN (scsi target): not supported by the driver

eh, at least the Intel nics in them work