/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: just_open_source.png (854x386, 137K)

>/dpt/ shitpost OP makes a /fglt/
stop man, nobody cares about yegor

good job pointing it out to show how little you care

A menace to all the generals on Jow Forums, makes the thread very fast right at the bump limit. First he posts the yegor, then some cringy memes and then completely irrelevant shitpost images.

say no to yegor OP

What cute name should I give my Kali install?

>guy in #voidlinux irc openly admits to using Jow Forums

Attached: .png (1000x700, 101K)

Hey guise, brainlet here. I installed Fedora LXDE on an old asus eee pc 1005ha. Live CD worked just fine, but I wiped all the hard drive to make a clean install, and now it won't boot up. I did the automatic partitions from the liveCD installer.

I have yet to try other disks and distros, but any suggestions as to why wouldn't it be loading now? Screen is just black with an underscore ( _ ) character just tilting.

Something may have gotten screwed up installing your bootloader or EFI vars. Like if the EFI partition was trashed and it did a non EFI install.

A quick way to check would be in BIOS set legacy boot mode and retry. See if grub shows up.

Thanks for replying. I tried to find legacy boot in the boot menu, but nothing of the likes showed up. At best I restored o default boot settings and tried that, but didn't work. Using the LiveCD gave me the option to start media from local drive, with graphic limited mode enabled, but didn't work either.

I just checked that laptop is a bit old, it probably isn't even EFI. Not really sure, when you say tilting _ you mean it's just a blinking cursor right after the BIOS? Do you see some text(grub) flash by before it?

I have Arch up and running on my laptop with KDE Plasma, but I was looking at getting into a window manager.

Thoughts on wm's? Recommendations? Should I rice it?

reminder to use pngquant for screen caps

i3 or awesome

for i3
workspace_layout tabbed
hide_edge_borders smart

why does dns resolution often become slow and unreliable when i have qbittorrent open? how would i debug this?
i've already lowered the limit for open connections to 100 (the default was really high)

Is it just DNS or all network traffic? The only DNS torrent uses is for the torrent trackers and it's not that many. Run ping and open the client, see if you start dropping packets and get higher latency.

>Is it just DNS or all network traffic?
hard to tell when everything depends on dns
using "ping --numeric" so it doesn't try to resolve the domain, i get high latency and some packet loss for a few seconds when i open the client, but after that it's normal until it starts seeding a torrent
there's little packet loss and i still get some dns failures when it's not seeding

kali
:3
seeuse transmission instead, come back with results, or use a local DNS forwarder

Don't be just a consumer. Write useful free software for your system or help others do it.

Attached: 14199384838690.jpg (222x227, 20K)

herbstluft
i3
awesome

kairiuwu

hey guys I have installed arch on a thinkpad.
I installed TLP because I read it is good for battery life.
But ever since I installed it and enabled it, the laptop takes half a minute to shut down or reboot. It just goes to black screen and hangs there for 20 seconds. Before, it was almost immediate.
Is this normal or have I messed up somehow?

Yes, it's just blinking cursor right after BIOS! No text flash whatsoever. Screen is broken so about 1/10th of it doesn't work on lower screen, so no idea if there's text there.

What do I do? do I attempt to install it with an old image pre-EFI? Should I try Arch? I noticed there were some distros called eeebuntu, but they are discontinued.

Gonna put puppy linux on one of these tomorrow, was going to do it tonight but remembered it still had the thermal paste from 2004, so I spent a couple hours learning to guts. Laptop was $10 from work surplus, and a new battery's $7 on ebay. It was immaculate inside, not so much as a single cat hair on the radiator fins.

Some article online recommended Bodhi so I grabbed that too, but after reading more I think Puppy's the one for me and my new latitude.

Attached: dell_d620_gesamt2_02.jpg (800x600, 50K)

I would just try to install something else, arch is fine.

You can use any distro on it, choice on software is what matters. With a light DE (xfce, lxde, mate) or a simple WM setup it will work just fine.

xargs or GNU Parallel?

I'll try with other distros and see what happens. What worries me is that the LiveCD worked just fine, so the same issue could arise with other distros just as well, where the actual boot is the issue despite of the distro working from external media.

>can't open file 'exploit_camera.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
what am i doing wrong? i put file in same directory as python is.

>bash can't do floating point arithmetic
Yes it can.
echo "scale=1; 3.1*6.3" | bc

That's not bash doing the math. It's bc.

>echo "scale=1; 3.1*6.3" | bc
...and echo :o)

I got this shit man

awkset() {
declare -g $1="$(cat

>echo | cat using nonstandard syntax
based bashist

I'm attempting to use a 4k (3840x2160) monitor on my new gentoo install. The problem is xrandr and KDE both see my single monitor as two sepperate displays, listed as DP-1-9 and DP-1-8 (see pic)

Any ideas to resolve this? I had the same problem on Arch too. The monitor works out of the box with Ubuntu, so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Attached: screen.png (2287x1435, 623K)

$ printf '%.10f\n' "$((10**10*1/42))e-10"

Attached: 1523399409378.jpg (600x315, 22K)

>printf '%.10f\n' "$((10**10*1/42))e-10"
very nice, thank you!

I'm a brainlet that just wants a *nix environment to do some development.

I haven't used linux in forever, but I tried a few distros a few days ago (ubuntu, manjaro, solus, mostly). I had an awful time with getting stuff to justwerk. I couldn't install chrome/ium on solus without freezing (apparently a known issue), manjaro seemed to get hung up as well, ubuntu seemed the most brainlet friendly, but I soon learned linux isn't very great for a bilingual environment. (Japanese/English) Also, laptop battery life/performance was pretty horrible (has that gotten better?)

Is there something I'm missing that would solve my issues? I don't really want to pay apple tax and become itoddlerbtfo, but I just want something stable with good support for laptops, and get good support for Japanese language input.

install gentoo

what is the best antivirus for linux?

GPL version 3 or later.

Why cant i use copy paste cut or open any gui commands when caps lock is on?

because your clicking uppercase

Its the keyboard.
Many other bind dont work either, but there is no separate caps lock on binds that i know of

no idea bro

Arch BTFO

Are there any good like ups/usps/fedex/etc trackers for Linux? Preferably something i could sync with my phone.

There's like a billion shitty ones on Github, so I paid for a popular one on the Google Play store called Parcel Track that was supposed to have a website that it synced to but it never updates itself so it literally does the opposite of tracking my packages lmao

posted in the last thread but it died

Attached: 1552014825371.jpg (452x540, 39K)

what's the best monospace font with distinguishable 1 and l?

I've been with linux only a week now and what I've noticed is that when I want to post images to Jow Forums, the window opening only previews images but not webms, and I cant change the size of the thumbnails either?

Is this a thing with the window manager and do other wm's preview the webms to theright as well?

WM is mutter

When I boot up kde i get a black screen

Earlier I was using it like normal then it freezes, mouse wouldnt move, etc. so i restart and now it's black. all my panels gone etc

what do

>best monospace font
dejavu sans mono

Screenshot of what I mean.
Webms dont have a preview and I cant enlargen the icons in that window.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-08 15-55-32.png (863x658, 132K)

This has been a problem for over 10 years. If you use GNOME you just have to accept it.

install the filechooser patch from a decade ago and stop this meme

GNU Free Font

>10
You mean 20.

I ended up reinstalling it, but I noticed the boot partition by default came with /dv4 or something like that, so I changed it to /Bios boot and it worked!

so I just got a new nice dell xps laptop and was sure I wanted to run Debian on it. I've spent the whole day trying to get audio to work, to no success.

I'm thinking of giving up and going Ubuntu again. What's the status of the botnet in Ubuntu nowadays? Easy to at least try to disable?

fuck

So I've made a few scripts to make my life easier, but they all rely on READing and input after the script starts. How can I put my input in on the same line that I call the script? Like the way most commands on the system use.

echo "$1"

Will echo the first argument

echo "$@"

Will echo all of them

here is a stupid simple question:
When I create a VM, I have to go through the process of connecting to the network with the command
nmtui

How do I make it so the VMs just are connected/share the same network?

Thanks friend.

I just reinstalled gentoo on my t430 and I can't get WiFi to work.

install ubuntu

Advertisements are forbidden.

Same guy. Is there a difference in performance and resource usage between a script being called from .bashrc vs one being called from /usr/bin. Like is .bashrc memory and /usr/bin hard disk.

Is it possible to connect Ranger or vifm instead of a GUI file manager to GUI applications that need it (e.g. firefox) ?

>Ranger or vifm

Attached: lmao.jpg (369x366, 24K)

No, if you don't want to patch your best bet is to drag and drop the file onto the file input box from your file manager.

I'm done with linux
I'm done with the small things that need constant fiddling
I'm done with shit that stops working randomly
I'm done with having to fiddle to make many games work
I'm done with shit that just isnt up to par and modern standards because devs don't condsider them a priority or go with "just dont do that" nonsense

See you guys in another ten years

One less retard using the system, the day just got better.
hit the fucking road kid and tell your gaymer windows buddies that Big Tony said "hi".

i want to transfer the mame 0.207 romset (12362 files) to another computer over 100mbps ethernet. i understand scp adds some overhead for each file. so, what is faster:
* transfering 12362 files over scp
* pipe them over tar and then transfer that with scp
* using rsync for transfer all the files

Not really, but you're better off writing external scripts and put them to your ~/bin directory than bloating up your .bashrc. Keep things organized; terminal work related stuff like rename scripts sit fine in your bashrc, while a magic 8 ball game should go into your ~/bin.

what's the total size of the stuff?

GNU/Linux*

67,9 GB but i'm not concerned over this, my question is related to the overhead scp creates for each file.

Not the guy you're responding to, but is there even a standard for user-level executable directories? I've seen bin, .bin, .usr/bin, .local/bin, .script, loads so other shit too.

BASED

There's no standard, but ~/bin is pretty popular, so popular that some distros put ~/bin in your $PATH (so the shell finds the programs) out if the box. To learn about /bin /usr/bin, etc run $ man hier

>scp adds overhead per file
>taring and untaring adds a lot of wasted time
>raw data amount is large for a 100M connection, almost 2 hours assuming a stable avg of 95Mbit/sec

rsync or a simple NFS share would work best in my
>opinion

If the files are big enough it won't be that noticeable over 67G.

Although even just the filesystem adds overhead with a lot of files, to say nothing about the network. I remember copying I think it was all the atari 2600 roms onto a slow-ish drive, total size was tiny like 100MiB but it took longer than a single 5GiB+ file because they were all 2KiB each.

>taring and untaring adds a lot of wasted time
are you sure about this? afaik there's no performance penalty when using tar on the fly, specially when the other computer is going to untar everything as it comes, not randomly. i'm sure my network is slower than whatever tar and disks can take. i'm saying tar only, no compression.

is there a ppa for linux 4.9 for 18.04

no

>try to rename Benis.sh to benis.sh in Android
>error, file already exist
>mfw
I'm so glad when I'm back at home sweet Debian. Why is shit like this allowed? How do people even work with this shit. Holy crap.
>mv Benis.sh benis.sh.bak
>mv benis.sh.bak benis.sh
Really? REALLY? WHO THOUGHT THIS SHIT WAS A GOOD IDEA

Attached: 1551871337770.jpg (1333x900, 80K)

it had something thinkpad in etc default tlp

xubuntu lts

don't even bother with that if you to view the pictures
use nautilus

Stop breaking systems.

>lts distro
>doesn't use lts kernel

Don't come back crying that your system broke.
Don't do PPAs.

android has case-insensitive file paths? I did not know that. weird decision, I agree.

Probably for the FAT32 storage device compatibility.

>don't fix your cd burner

>uname -rms
>Linux 4.9.161-1-lts49 x86_64
:^)

CD? These round millenium floppies?

what?

I have no idea who that is, but he's absolutely right in that tweet.

snowden was a plant to cut nsa funding
he never revealed anything but hype

Gotcha

Attached: 1551585922322.jpg (780x834, 58K)

What's next, Facebook screenshots?

You can set them as your default file manager by creating a .desktop file under $HOME/.local/share/applications to exec something like "xterm -e vifm", then adding the inode/directory association to $HOME/.config/mimeapps.list. These will not be used to select files for opening or uploading, but will be used for actions like "Open Containing Folder" from Firefox's download menu. More flexible apps could allow scripting of ranger/VIFM's "choose-file" options, but the Linux desktop is pretty fucked overall.

Debian has been adding $HOME/bin to the user's path for a long time, but the next release will be adding both $HOME/bin and $HOME/.local/bin

yes niggerfaggot
.local
that's the prefix you also want to use for make