What is the supposed value of 'diversity'? Not a trick question, genuinely curious...

What is the supposed value of 'diversity'? Not a trick question, genuinely curious. You often hear that it's good to have people from different backgrounds, but what concrete change does this bring about?

Attached: 1521900926565.jpg (3063x3933, 1.48M)

Jow Forumstards are going to shrill this thread soon but don't listen to them.
It's about different backgrounds to contribute to technology.

For example historically no video games have been designed for women because lack of female devs.

Now that that's changed, we have plenty of female friendly games. Many of them are far better than male-centric games from a a decade or two ago.

Diversity is strength.

Attached: Pixel1550689673025.gif (500x670, 52K)

From a biological standpoint, the point of diversity is to be prepared for different environmental factors. Natural selection through genetic mutations occurring, and those genetic mutation being passed on to further generations due to their likelihood for surviving in given environments. That is why genetic variety (diversity) in a species is so important in geographical areas where there is a lot of variable factors.

We can also apply this in the context of humans, where societies that have populations which range in many different social/cultural backgrounds exist. Nurses are meant to serve an empathetic role in the health environment, but are typically characterized by white women. However, there is now a push for men to be interested in the field, as people are now recognizing there are some health-related psychological issues that only other men can relate to. If we expand this concept to America, where there is a variety of cultures and ethnicity homogenized into society, then the idea expands to black nurses empathizing with black patients, gay patients empathizing with gay patients, etc.

That being said, in an area where there isn't that much variability in an environment, diversity may not be as pervasive. (ie. East Asian countries, where the population is mostly Asian.)

You're asking in the wrong place, my dude. Try reddit.

No, I get that part of it, but what concrete change does this bring about?

>historically no video games have been designed for women because lack of female devs.
Why is this an improvement? Developing video games for women is like installing turn signals on a BMW.

>Diversity is strength.
Not if it is for the sake of itself. It's valuable if you choose people based on their merits, completing your team with talent and different approach to problems. Otherwise it will only bring you ignorant, valueless, demanding people.

If the product you’re marketing is to a specific demographic or set of demographics, it helps for the team that develops it to be that demographic. Different groups of people, especially people geographically isolated, use technology and products differently, sometimes very differently. Overwatch got its game to appeal to unheard of amounts of women for an FPS just by making the art/design team include more women.

promoting diversity isn't about promoting diversity, it's about hiring H1B visas for 40% of the usual pay and if they don't like it they can get their visas revoked.

Because you’re a company and want to make money? Why do you think games are developed?

But then diversity isn't good, only representation of the target audience. It would be downright harmful to have non-Whites or women working on your project that mostly White men use. Yet I don't see any companies saying "no niggers or women" when hiring.

fpbp
Jow Forumstards must be forced off this board

No, it got it from being an incredibly easy to pick up game, just like Tetris, Hearthstone or Candy Crush also are very popular with women.
How do you make money by making games for which the target audience doesn't exist?

>No, I get that part of it, but what concrete change does this bring about?
Not that user, but the idea is to have people with different personality types and backgrounds contribute unique ideas as well as innovation that could not be found if everyone came from the same place.
I don't know if it's true or not, but that's why it's considered a good thing.

To hire Pajeet for cheap as fuck

No, I get that part, but what 'unique ideas' is it that I would get?
I could see some parallels with people from poor backgrounds pushing to make your software run on low-end hardware, but the implementation in itself isn't any different, nor is it that rad an idea.

This is the correct answer
A varied team will contribute different ideas from radically different approaches to solving a complex problem. This means you have better chances of finding a really good solution that will keep you competitive in the market.

Yet most products market to a more diverse population than dev teams typically are, or at least a different population.

The context in which people use the word diversity falls into roughly two categories:

1. A euphemism for affirmative action hires
2. A genuine business concern for a disconnect between devs and end users (e.g. our Chinese web product arm is entirely white and Indian dudes)

Contrary to popular belief on this board #1 is usually not the concern of actual business owners. They want to make money. It’s usually the result of SJW HR people who’s end effect on the company is usually negligible, even in places notorious for leftism like Google (who actually publishes the racial composition of their workforce and you can take a look to see if it’s “””diverse”””)

It's worthless and we have to pretend it's good. China and Japan don't have diversity and in many ways are outpacing the west in technology.

Multiculturalism is a retarded, failed experiment.

>No, I get that part, but what 'unique ideas' is it that I would get?
>I could see some parallels with people from poor backgrounds pushing to make your software run on low-end hardware, but the implementation in itself isn't any different, nor is it that rad an idea.
That's not the way it works user. It isn't about specific ideas that relate to an individuals background. It's about general innovation that comes from peoples' brains being wired differently.
Any innovation that has ever existed can be considered an example of what I'm talking about.

>historically no videogames for women

what is "the sims"? what is "cooking mama"? what is "the whole library of nintendo wii includind mad world and no more heroes"?

It all boils down to "everyone should have a better/equal chance"

kys retard

>diversity is strength

Attached: giphy.gif (480x368, 2.36M)

at the expense of the most qualified candidates because of someone's hurt feelings

A note of caution: this isn't to say that certain individuals or demographics are not capable of empathizing with other demographics, but generally speaking the best people to empathize with certain demographics are members of that demographic themselves.

It's reasonable to believe that a man can write a beautiful story involving a woman and for a woman to write a terrible story describing her own experiences as a woman. However, if there was a team of writers that set out to make a romantic movie about two college girls, and that team was composed of straight men, the chances of that story being good are not very high. Most of the the men would have to be individuals who were reasonably exposed to second-hand homosexual, lesbian, and/or female experiences to really propose any interesting or realistic ideas. If there was at least a couple of lesbian, homosexual, or female writers, they would be able to introduce insight into the culture or social tendencies of the target audience. Inversely could be said for straight male-centric films; it's a no brainer that you probably wouldn't want a feminist trans liberal director if your goal is to create a pro-military action movie.

I can give you one example from a book I was reading on AI in China.

Google had a problem marketing their search engine to Chinese people because they expected a different interface. When Chinese people use search engines they tend to treat them like shopping malls, entering a search and opening multiple tabs out of the search page and checking each site out. When Americans use search engines, they’re usually looking for a specific page. Consequently, lots of Chinese people were trying to use google and getting puzzled by the fact that URLs dis not automatically open a new tab and instead took them directly to the page they clicked on. The head of the Chinese arm for Google eventually got this and several other issues fixed, but it was a ton of work at the time, because Silicon Valley types tend to have this globalist there-is-one-true-software approach to design that opposes forking codebases for the needs of different demographics or regions - probably because few of their upper leadership is Chinese or even Asian.

Diversity of background!=diversity of thought. If you start hiring subpar people purely to increase the diversity you make your entire team dumber and less thought-diverse.
>Now that that's changed, we have plenty of female friendly games.
Developed by men. It's a market research thing entirely, who the fuck wouldn't want to make their audience twice bigger.

you do realize there are lots of women who play video games, right?

Shut up retard.

Because MUH FEEFEES. If some group is less represented somewhere surely it can't be the fault of that group, they must be oppressed by whites/men/Jews.
Actually it's funny how both the far right and far left hate the Jews. Really makes you think.

>Diversity of background!=diversity of thought.
Oh, you mean somebody's ethnic background doesn't determine how they think?

You racist!

No, there are not.

women and numales just love virtue signaling

Attached: 77a608a0.jpg (790x768, 99K)

Video games are still developed by men because that’s who the majority of qualified candidates are, however women are still more valuable *on the margin* because of diversity reasons and their (slightly/significantly/whatever) better ability to develop a product that appeals to women as well as men, like the case of Overwatch which I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I get the sacrasm but there are people who unironically think that people are entirely defined by how they were born - by their skin color, sex, etc.

You are worse than them to be honest. Why are you so angry, what are you talking about?

>If some group is less represented somewhere surely it can't be the fault of that group, they must be oppressed by whites/men/Jews.
This is the most astute rebuttal to anybody that complains that there are less people that look like them in a work of fiction.

"There are an infinite amount of reasons that someone did this that aren't 'The white men did this'". Or "The jews", for some reason the first one sounds less ridiculous to people

"Astute" being relative. It's just one inane platitude parrying another.

>For example historically no video games have been designed for women because lack of female devs.
One of the biggest PC game companies to ever exist was led by a woman.
She basically created the click and play genre with her own hands and many, many, many others.
Also her company published this small game called half life.

Attached: robertawilliams.jpg (258x300, 15K)

You don't need to hire women to make a game for women. In fact it's dumb as fuck - you get an input of just a few women when you could have simply done a research to cover potentially an entire country's population of women.

Watch the news.

The people in this thread are forgetting something. The following two propositions are mutually consistent:

1. A perfectly competent, utilitarian hiring manager will produce a developer team that is mostly male/white/Asian.
2. It is an asset to be a woman as a developer if the team is more male than the target demographic.

There are a lot of posts here that insinuate that if diversity was really valuable teams at google would be 13% black but that’s retarded - all it is is a small, modest financial benefit assessed along with all the other traits that affect how valuable an employee is.

Yes, some of those people being blond-haired blue-eyed Aryans with a funny logo on their shoulder, and some of those people being smug millenial redditors trying to sarcastically quip large corporations into doing their bidding.

I never said that. What I’m trying to convey is that given two equally competent developers, one male and one female, the male developer will probably do a better job creating a game for men, and vice versa. That it’s an asset to be Hispanic if you’re making TV for Hispanic people is so patently obvious I don’t see why it’s up for debate.

It costs tax payers more money to integrate them just because some corporate faggot couldn't "supposedly" get anyone into a certain role of a job, yeah right my ass hole.

Diversity is code name for White Genocide, basically it's the Untied Nations Kalergi plan in effect, I forgot the UN Agenda's and which articles but they're in there clear-cut insisting that we for some reason need diversity and need to tolerate them because of it.

It's the globalist agenda to destroy the sense of culture, nation and race so the Zionists can create a one world government after the first-world civilisational collapse from the mass waves of immigration and strains of social welfare while they live in their personal ethno-state Israel with their duel citizen ships.

Anyway, don't know why you're posting in Jow Forums but I'm glad I came across this thread to answer it.

Attached: Kalergi Plan the UN and the banks.jpg (600x409, 59K)

Same poster, the reason why they want to collapse the state is because they want to give reason to become more authoritarian and then better forcefully implement the plan on the smaller numbers of surviving citizens.

Wrong, The male developer has a better chance of making a game for EVERYONE because male devs tend to simply be better devs on average.If you take a good female dev and a bad male dev the she is going to have a better chance instead. Again - an input of just one person doesn't matter when you're aiming at such a wide audience.

Whom'st?

Attached: 36573658735.png (540x718, 293K)

>because male devs tend to be better on average

Did you not read until the end of the first sentence of my post or are you genuinely retarded?

Second*

Better than you not reading my post at all. You absolutely don't need to be Hispanic to make TV for the Hispanic people. You merely need to be good at making TV. Division of labor, ever heard of it?

there is no value in diversity, its all just the hippy-dippy wet dreams of fags who have never lived in a "diverse" neighborhoods or taken part in any program.

This anons retarded, it's like he's trying to jack himself off about "labour divisions" while stalling off on an unbeknownst rant.

Attached: 2647246724.png (128x128, 32K)

Not an argument.

Attached: 264572467.jpg (506x795, 38K)

Still not an argument. So this is the power of diversity.

The actual fuck poster?

Attached: 42673456732.png (237x241, 52K)

You'll get digital back-pats on Twitter I guess. That's all that matters nowadays, right?

Lmao, noice bait

>we highly value diversity in our company
>only considers people with a computer science degree whom learned all their skills from the same few authors of some textbooks and those concepts regurgitated by Jewish professors
WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY MEAN BY THIS???

This is the worst b8 ever.

In theory this would be to contemplate things through worldviews besides the dominant one in the primary ethnicity. For example when dealing with death it'd be sensitive to contemplate how for example, polytheist religions see the afterlife.
In practice any different viewpoint will be buried and dissenting cultures be forced to change.

>You often hear that it's good to have people from different backgrounds, but what concrete change does this bring about?
Lower wages.

I know this is bait, BUT:
>For example historically no video games have been designed for women because lack of female devs.
That's simply because women have never been a target and they aren't interested, and to this day, there are very little women who play video games when compared to men.

This is a good answer, consider for example the irish potato famine

This sounds pretty on paper, but reality is that underqualified workers are letting much better ones out of the business. This only leads to decadence.

Who is white?

Attached: bait.jpg (680x649, 60K)

Lol. So this is what happens when you're retarded and fall for propaganda. Try reading what the Kalergi plan actually is. It's about white people mixing together to make one white race instead of having separate Germans, Brits, etc. Stop getting all you info from Jow Forums infographics you fucking retard.

cool ad. creative and compelling, without being blatantly misleading

Also nice "sources". Generic search terms and the one url in there doesn't even work. Fuck off back to Jow Forums

> diversity of skin color or gender is more important than diversity of thought or ideas

I thought people understood that it's the content of your mind that matters, not your physical attributes, but I guess not

I don't think it has anything to do with diversity - your regional division should be runned by someone from this region, especially when there is a huge cultural gap. That's fucking common sense.
While Sega of America had had the autonomy and power to overrule Japan on decisions within USA, they had the lead on console market, because they understood American market. No one thought to make them run Japan.

>150 engineers
Yes, except for the part that this could be computed on the basis of an organization with 400,000 or 400 engineers.

The world is a diverse place. Having a diverse staff means you have a staff who knows how to appeal to as many people as possible and therefore maximize profit.

The value is bullshit cooked up by corporation backed thinktanks to lower wages across the board. Stay jwoke.

Attached: jc denton in da fresh.jpg (437x665, 147K)

...women are naturals at computer programming...

Attached: computergirls.jpg (970x1337, 243K)

1 big calculator work just as fast as 150 engineers at solving some particular kind of calculations. the company size is irrelevant

Grace Hopper 1960s

>"it's just like planning a dinner, making women naturals at it"

pic related

Attached: BOOM_HEADSHOT.png (554x496, 235K)