Careers with C

Hey guys, I am learning C as a first language and really enjoying. For the first time I feel like im actually learning something and not just dicking around like all the Python material I went through. I was curious if C is a good choice for jobs? I have heard people say that it is used for embedded systems but haven't been able to find a straight answer for what that might entail and where.

Attached: 300px-Dennis_Ritchie_1593.jpg (300x371, 20K)

99% of stuff in embedded is in C or C with classes. Just look in your local classifieds for jobs at non-software engineering companies.

basically this but c++ is very common as well, mostly due to nice compile time stuff (constexpr, type casting), namespaces, and enum classes
don't expect to be using any STL stuff in es though, strings.h for memset and memcpy is the biggest stretch ive seen be done

Bump. I’m also very curious what I can do with C or C++

Most places are going to prefer C++ over C unless it is a very Unix/Linux-focused shop. Even then, C++ is slowly sneaking into that sphere, even gcc is a C++ project.

I'd advise looking into C++11 if you want to do this for a job.

What other careers use C++ besides embedded?

i doubt you can get a job just knowing c, it's not the 80s or 90s anymore. remember that with modern telecommunications they can just hire indians to work for $1/hour

Desktop application development, financial tech, embedded, game development, audio/music production, vfx/graphics work, etc.

It sees very broad use.

Its good to know it. You will be more respected among boomer and geneXer chefs.

Medical devices. All software running on diagnostic hardware in your hospital.

>they can just hire indians to work for $1/hour
>C
>indians
I doubt that, but I agree that it isn't easy to find jobs for a junior in C

Do any of these pay well, and are they pajeet/codingbootcampbasedboy-proof? I chose C++ with hopes of going against the current trends and learning a skill that is actually valuable.

OpenGL for video games or writing testing software for companies like Qualcomm or any CPU/GPU manufacturer

I'm not the guys you're responding to, especially financial tech or graphics, and game development I only know by rumour (it's shit paid).

I've worked as a desktop application developer and web dev, and I'm currently working as a system's and embedded programmer, and the former definitively pays way, way, way better. But it is also highly dependant on the market where you live.

No one writes C to get a job. People use C because they're masochists

Desktop applications or web dev pays better?

there is no clear answer, won't hurt to learn both

The only two jobs I've had out of university were C jobs. The one I'm currently doing is related to open-source GNU/Linux software, and it's fucking great.

How to start with C/C++?

>OpenGL for video games
There are no more video games in 2019 that use OpenGL.

who the fuck is this hipster