Graduate with CS degree after years of pouring effort into it and having little/no social life

>graduate with CS degree after years of pouring effort into it and having little/no social life
>still not good enough
>employers expect you to recreate your own Google/Facebook clones from complete scratch and have over 75,000+ Github commits before they even begin to consider you for an entry level job paying 40-45k

what the fuck is the point in getting a CS degree that takes 5-6 years on average to complete if employers don't even give a shit and somebody can just spend all that time learning skills that are actually relevant to today's industry and building a portfolio that shows off in-demand languages?

Attached: 1549029327737.jpg (1200x676, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Ru6mvHeYSE&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What is this image?

A hoax

should've gotten an internship

>CS Degree
>American
You got what you deserve.

No, Ive worked in a chinese kitchen. They do shit like that

>No degree, only college education was in accounting
>work at mom&pop computer shop
>love my job and boss
>they love me because im super productive

Life works out, dont give up.

Unless you know someone working at the company. They will hire brainlets referred over top tier candidates. The saying "It's not what you know, it's who you know" is very true.

Maybe you should try networking, you never know who you'll meet.

maybe try applying to different places in different locations.
I had no issue finding a decent programming gig before I even finished my undergrad with not much to show other than a couple personal projects. My city is starving for technically skilled people though since most of the college educated people move away unless they work in the medical industry.

>The saying "It's not what you know, it's who you know" is very true.

THIS. I fucking hate it too. Nobody want to hire qualified people smarter than themselves out of fear you will take their job. So they hire dumb friends who don't know shit.

Honestly knowing people is far more important than knowing your shit. I used to think yeah those get fired after some time for being incompetent. Oh boy was I wrong.

imma minutt befoore kiuuling muiself
pplz help

Nah they dont want to hire complete autists who will sperg out or cause problems.
I have worked in jobs where one person makes everyone life hell because they are cunts.
It messes everything up.

That is why people hire people they know or people who are referred to them.
If someone within the company can vouch that the person they are interviewing is easy to work with then they will likely pick them.
If you know nobody and have no prior experience then you are a huge risk to hire because it could backfire.

If you don't have any connections that could get you a job then you need to get an internship or work shitty jobs for a while.

University is only worth for one thing nowadays, and that is networking. You try to get into the best (read: best reputation) you can, and you hunt down the children of successful/rich people. Ideally you should, through your contacts, be an intern at your target company (or the best you can get) before you finish university and slide into your first job straight after graduating. Then you build your network further and advance accordingly. No, there is no skill involved, and you thinking it is is why you're in your shit position.

do a backflip faggot

Meanwhile this guy born in 1992 is quitting programming and starting a youtube channel instead.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Ru6mvHeYSE&

I spent 3 years on my degree and my first job paid well over 6 figures.

Pretty similar here.
3 years on two AS's, got a job immediately at roughly 80k and 6 months later went to one 6 figures

See, OP? Even someone who does not understand what "over 6 figures" means was able to get a decent job (). You can do it too.

I know it's too late now, but part of college was meeting recruiters at career fairs your college had, such that you have something lined up before you graduate. That's how basically every else I knew in school, started their CS careers.

I got my CS degree a year ago. Had open source contributions, personal projects, good GPA. Couldn't get a job to save my life. A year later I get an offer, but it turns out to be an IT job in the government. They picked my resume out of a pile cause I had Linux experience. I decided to take it, and it turned out to be comfy as fuck. Low stress, no overtime, decent pay, good benefits. It was obvious those dream places weren't gonna hire me, so fuck it. Things are pretty good right now, and I've been told there's a lot of room for advancement in the near future since I'm learning really fast and impressing them. If you can't be the smartest person in a roomful of geniuses, be the smartest person in a roomful of average people.

Attached: 1548109920985.jpg (334x334, 34K)

I'd hire him to make my lunch.

You can do a CS degree easily on like 25-30 hours per week. Of course you should have been doing side projects that'll look good on resumes the whole time. Everyone who I saw drop out did it because of gaming addiction and I can only assume you're the same

There are no loose individual pieces of rice at the peak, this is clearly one solid piece. Nice try tho

>t. went to babby school

someone projecting their trauma through occupational therapy

Attached: 4hjh3kj634.png (1100x739, 1.25M)

Cs degree is a fucking meme, I hate this shit, I should have stuck to software eng. Or c.eng

I think it’s not hard for a cs degree stude t to make a facebook or github clone from scratch.

If you can’t, you have sone learning to do.

you make $1,000,000+?

bad bait

It's a statue bro

Attached: I4eh1eZ.jpg (1536x2048, 486K)

can you deliver by the end of the month? you just have to do it simple like facebook, nothing too fancy

also, i only have $1200 but i can assure you'll get lots of exposure

Doing online CS now how do I portfolio?

Attached: 81ToBSq599L._SX425_.jpg (425x287, 16K)

Looks like this guy couldn't pass a piss test.

>bad bait
shitty bait

This is why I'm getting a job as a bus driver so I can sidestep all this bullshit and get a cushy cs job being glorified tech support at the garage except with a pension and benefits.

>he can't make a facebook clone
LOLOLOLOL fucking brainlet.

>boomer pension
Oh boy! I can't wait until I finally retire when I reach age 60! Maybe if I work really hard, they'll let me off when I'm 55!

I feel you, every interview I passed I felt like I had to put 100 hours more of studying in multiple fields.
And I'm not in the US, those weren't whiteboard interviews with algorithm problems. They were problems to solve but most of them were either to test how fast you could come up with a solution or just confirm that you know how a language works.
But I've had really precise questions on CPU and GPU architectures that I didn't know. I've had really precise questions on language theory, compilers and more...
I just felt like I wasn't cut for it, I still don't know if I am.

Laugh if you want but this one guy retired at his garage at 55 and had 2 mil in his pension

I can retire at 35 with 2 mil in real money.

Pick your projects in alignment with the kind of job you're going to aim for.
Pick a HTML 5 bootstrap theme and make a static website on your github.
Make it so that you can click on your projects to learn more. Make 2-3 paragraphs for each projects explaining everything you feel there is to explain about them.
Don't forget to add management shit here and there, "Following the waterfall model that me and my peers agreed on...", "We had weekly reunions as described in the Agile manifesto...", "As the lead developer I took the responsability to cut X out of the project for X reason"
It's not much but it shows that you know how to work in a team.

When you're explaining projects, try to always explain these three componennts:
What did you do to model the program before coding it (UML or whatever)
The biggest challenge met during the code (if you can include a design pattern you're golden)
Last but not least, what testing model did you use ?

You can lie about everything I mentioned above in an interview. But remember that if there's a public sample code on your github of a project you lied about, it would definitely not be a smart move.
If you can't lie about it, use the same guidelines to tell your employer what should have been done to get a better result.

"Just get a good job", if only it were so simple, many places demand experience to get the internships, I came across a posting that required 1 year experience for an internship. The way they get around this is to hire from top schools where they expect the students to be better, so then the advice becomes "just go to a top school", but then the advice might as well be "just be born rich", or "just be born really fucking smart".

i bet they had fun taking this photo

see

He said OVER 6 figures though, which can only mean 7+

you can't have fun taking a photo because it's a statue? they were taking it to fool people, like i bet they were trying to get the correct facial expression, posture etc to make it look real, i.e. they would have been having fun laughing and shit trying to make it look real.

If your CS degree turns you into a webdev, consider throwing it away.

I had a company who didn't believe that I did complicated SQL queries
during the interview they kept asking random SQL questions
I guess I fucked up when I couldn't remember what a left join was
its like are you cunts serious if I want to know what a left join is I'll fucking bing it

lol pussies get good

is it really that bad? was going to study CS in Frankfurt...
or is it just programming that is so saturated?

Attached: 14D48AAF-3DFA-4D73-8FE3-7DD533743407.jpg (900x1350, 584K)

did you just assume his gender

>his
did you just too?

Attached: aw hell yeah i like it.jpg (320x320, 16K)

Made me laugh

Agreed. It’s like marking points off for syntax as if I won’t see the fucking built in IDE checker call me out on it

Guess it depends on your expectations, i.e. if you are fine with webdev or not. Don't do it unless you have at least an inkling of programming interest. Euro that did a CS bachelor and then a master because why not. Uni was fun and studying here is free. Found work doing webdev within weeks. Certainly overqualified for it but you need money to live. Started low at 2700€/month five years later make around 4300 and I'm kind of enjoying it. YMMV.

An asian man in the process of dumping fried rice all over his floor.

Becausee they don't give a shit about the guy with a Google clone and 75,000+ github commits if he doesn't have a CS degree either.
But for real, the job market is a haggle. They always look for a chump that's overqualified and will work underpaid because that's how they get their bonuses. Once they get squeezed to fill the position now, they stop playing pretend and look at their actual job requirements.

You are certainly not wrong.

I can't get hired because i have a rape on my record when they do the background checks or ask if you've ever been convicted of a felony. What do i do user i dont want to go back to McDonalds i just wanna play vidya and have a cozy office job make 6 figures.

Nope
The rice acts pretty much like a liquid. It's all going to follow the same path.
It'll all fall back on the same spot so he'll be able to catch it

No it didn't, mr internet tough guy

Is having gay butt sex normal? I walked in on my son with another boy and dont know how to feel, figured there'd be a zoomer here to let me know if this is acceptable now? Might just kick him out till i make up my mind.

>you committed a crime once
>that means I can legally discriminate against you and never let you have a job
wtf is that logic

also don't rape
also post story

how many hrs/week? are able to work from home?

holy shit i cannot stop laughing

my negro, how much linux do you need to do know before you can write in on your resume. Like setting up servers etc..? or just daily use

Attached: 1492965333927.png (941x887, 199K)

>wtf is that logic

ask about 70% of employers that m8

40 hours. No work from home.

It's already almost impossible to compete in the job market and you think they should hire someone that literally raped another person over someone that didn't?

Yes, actually.

40hrs sounds comfy, too bad the stasi takes away half of your money
btw why did you get a master?

Imagine thinking this... Back to McDonalds with you.

Yeah, ~30% gets stasied away. About the master, when the choice is between a few lectures a week, pretty much unlimited free time, friends and fun VS working 40 hours a week... Remember the education is free, I have no loans, but to be honest it did cost me two years of income.

No thanks, I don't want to be your co-worker, you sound like a judgmental little faggot.

>t. also has a rape on his record and makes high five figures.

and then another 25% or so get stasied away as VAT.

>They always look for a chump that's overqualified and will work underpaid

This. Take for example Data Scientists.

In Job Posting, It says that PhD in CS, Math or Statistics. That's an overkill.

They also require decades of experience in technologies invented few years ago.

For example TensorFlow was invented 3 years ago.
Job postings seeking CS PhDs with "20 years of experience" in Tensorflow are not uncommon.

They complain about lack of qualifications, as an excuse to either reject you or hire you paying peanuts.

Attached: TensorFlow.png (220x183, 23K)

Anyone who can actually code and is not self employed is literally a moron.

>doesn't think he should be judged for raping someone.
>only makes five figures.
yikes.

This.
Nothing beats working from home on your own schedule folks. Working for yourself isn't that difficult.

what do you do? let clients hire you to make a website or something?

>having to do webdev and/or mobile

Attached: 1425171156891.png (334x393, 133K)

... Freelancing isn't working for yourself. It's still wage-cuck only less stable.
Launched my own independent software. Have complete control of the design and implementation.

I would rather be self employed and earn 50k than earn 150k and be employed. That being said it's impossible to earn less as a self employed coder unless you're stupid.

I build all kinds of web services. Bots etc..

How many active users do you have?

>thinking 150k is a lot
Are self employed fags really this pathetic?

I'm from Germany. 150k € per year is A LOT here

Not really. I know some people getting that in Munich with only a few years of experience.

I'm a pretty small operation. have just over 300 paying users at $60/month which puts me at 223k/year with the infrastructure cost being about 10k/year. The platform scales really well and that number is only going up.

>150k employed
>Germany
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
Why do you larp? Doctors are the highest paid wageslaves over here and you won't earn 150k even if you're a chief doctor. I only know one employed person who earns moreover than 100k. He went to uni with me and is an SAP consultant with years of experience before he went to Uni.

That's quite nice actually.

Thanks! Can't decide if I want to go into data science or Linux administration and engineering

it's a recipe from 1989, widely sold in street vendors Tiananmen Square.
If you want the recipe, search USS Liberty.

There is a big gap about what universities teach, and the market want. Non stanford unis are just decades behind industries's tech enviroments and needs.
Come on, i only started to learn a modern language like in the last semester and pretty much superficially.

Attached: 1540714394340.jpg (395x389, 34K)

You don't need to know that much, Just buy a copy of The Linux Command line and you're good. Aldo, avg ppl (evento avg t.i people) still think linux is an arcane, black magic operating system.

sounds super comfy tbqh

You didn’t do an internship. Internships are better than straight A’s, even if you are at some Ivy League school. You can try and get one now, if you can suck up your pride. Remember that “networking” isn’t a meme, and knowing people is how you get a job when you start out. My first job mainly had people who were referral based.

>my yearly pay is over 26,000,000 a year[spoiler]in Korean won/spoiler]