I'm such a a fucking distro hopper :(

Hey Jow Forumsuys I've been using linux for 2+ years now but I've never had a permanent distro to use. I like to play pc games and everyday productivity along with some pen-testing here and there but I don't know which would be the best distro.

Jow Forums you have any ideas?

Attached: 1434049813933.png (466x198, 78K)

Windows 10

ho homie, linux distros

Get the RHEL developer freebie and become one the strange asshat who uses it as a desktop system.

install gentoo.

Noob here. Are those all operating systems? Holy fuck. I've only heard of windows, MacOS and Linux

>no lubuntu

My work-provided laptop runs Debian so I just run Debian at home for simplicity’ sake

do you use lubuntu?

I have used it

Kubuntu

i have used KDE but im not a big fan of it

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

If you install gentoo I guarantee you will stop using anything else out of fear of wasting your time you've spent just getting it on your laptop

Use lubuntu then. Lxqt. Anything not gtk related is good. Or you can use no DE

Imma use it for my desktop

I sure will consider

No, install gentoo.

meh im still looking tho

Find whatever works best for you.
There are no best distors, some are just more suitable, than others.

Thank you everyone for the advice! I will be going now

>ty

Who are you quoting?

We ain't in the 90s no more nigga.
Install windows.

No one

i just like doing that for some reason

kek

They all share many major similarities as they are Linux distros (based on the Linux kernel) but yes, they are all different operating systems.

ok normalfriend

Fedora is good if you want an easy-to-install distro with easy encryption, btrfs, etc.
Debian is good for a simple, stable, well-supported distro.
Arch is good for the AUR, if you're willing to put up with the AUR, but it's a lot more difficult to install and manage
Gentoo is good for its speed, although a lot more difficult than Arch to setup and maintain
However, I've never used Gentoo or Debian.

Status for everyone!!

im going to go for Fedora then if that doesnt work, I will go for lubuntu

Thanks
and

>OP delivers
>mfw
There is hope for 4/g/

Attached: hopeful.png (1001x823, 806K)

CORRECTION

Status for everyone!!

im going to go for Fedora then if that doesnt work, I will go for lubuntu

Thanks
and

I use devuan when I can, like on my core 2 Duo librebooted desktop
I use xubuntu on hardware that needs the ubuntu "just werks almost as good as windows" magick

Parabola GNU/Linux-libre

I'm terribly sorry, but I would like to interject for yet another moment. What I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system, "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU needed, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really just distributions of Linux.

I switched to Linux Mint about 6 years ago and it's been my go-to ever since. It's comfy, supports all my hardware without a bunch of tinkering, and has long-term support so I don't have to reinstall unless I *really* want to.

But use what you like.

Half of it is just different Ubuntu flavours. That's not even distro hopping. Pick any distro and stick with it you moron

>install gentoo.
/thread

Honestly man, just get ubuntu and do the minimal install

Least headache and you get access to everything you possibly want, in the end it’s all Unix

Linux, the one and only true Unix
We are in every way Posix
We voice our yearning "Someday soon"
We won't need any other.

Then, tomorrow brings a new distro
It's better than the last you know
Another million bits that changed
All the hacks and tweaks we conjure up
They just get pushed into Posix
There's one thing that I know
The world will love it, all Linux

Then, there's other stuff we push as well
Others can work around this hell
With just a million lines of Shell
Now, as standards ape the one Linux
Everyone else just gets stuffed
There's one thing that I'm certain of
The world will love it, all Linux
We are Posix
World, you'll love my Linux
Linux, Linux

Manjaro with windows 10 in KVM

Antergos.

as a woomer who's used linux for almost 10 years literally just pick anything and customize it to your liking, literally the only difference between distros that matters to me 90% of the time is how long it takes to install and what package manager it comes with. pick a de/wm you like and stick with it

good solid choices, ultimately just get it installed and think about what you wanna do with it. the entire reason the stupid linux/windows debate exists is because nobody realizes that they have their own conveniences. windows will support the most software, linux will give you a nice customizable workflow. with customization comes risk of instability which is why brainlets go "linux is unreliable", like yeah it's like if you decide to add a turbo to your car there's a chance it won't be as reliable especially if you aren't quite sure what you're doing but who cares you want your boost

but none of it matters if you aren't doing anything, so do something interesting with whatever os you install there's more to life than watching anime and shitposting on this godforsaken website. make a game or something, contribute to foss, make art/music if you find decent tools to do that on linux, just do something man everybody has to have some kind of craft in life. what is life if you don't have something to constantly work at, something to study for and something to improve yourself. if you legitimately have nothing go pick up a musical instrument or something, practice writing, get good at woodworking basically anything and you'll be way happier that way

Attached: cons3.jpg (400x400, 22K)

based

CentOS for server.
Debian stable for laptop, but you have to add some drivers occasionally.
There's not much to think about, I found Ubuntu related stuff bloated and Arch unstable. As I know Slackware doesn't even exist except SuSe that's similar to it in some stuff. And never did Gentoo and Fedora in my life.

Linux distros, not DOS distros

>Arch unstable
Never ever have I had my install break on my in two years of using the same one.
How do you people break your arch install? This is even coming from someone who's in Uni thus uses pretty much every development tool out there for different technologies.

fedora covers everything you could ever ask from a modern operating system.

how about you say which ones you used and what you didn't like about them so i can give you my opinion on it?
new lubuntu will be based on lxqt so you might as well use kde neon or something

Windows 10

Then a Kali live USB for your penis testing

>fedora
It's the only reason systemd has infected every other distribution. Fuck Fedora.

Just use Ubuntu, or Mint.

Linux, by itself, is just a kernel. To have a functioning "Linux" system, you will need various components. To start "Linux", you'll need a bootloader like GRUB. It loads the Linux kernel, after which Linux starts a program called init. Traditionally, this was SysVinit, but an alternative called systemd is currently more popular. This 'init' program will start up the programs defined in the inittab. Many of the programs you interact with after the system starts up are GNU utilities. For example, the bash shell, or the GCC compiler. You probably also want a package manager to make installation of software easier.
A GNU/Linux Distribution bundles all these components and makes them easy to install. You can create a functioning GNU/Linux system by yourself, but using a distribution is a lot easier.

i really dislike lxqt. even lxde has greater merit in features, and as a basic set of gtk themeable apps to be used in a tiling window manager.
if you must use qt, i recommend lumina or even TDE as lightweight alternatives

>btrfs
i thought fedora nsd redhat were going all in on xfs?
redhat in particular seems to have a hateboner for btrfs

debian sid

this post was an experience

CentOS everywhere, best baremetal operative system, perfectly stable. Run kvm/qemu fedora if you need newer core libraries