What makes silicon such a good metal for chips?

What makes silicon such a good metal for chips?

Attached: wafer.jpg (187x251, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N7ut61pSLwk
youtube.com/watch?v=8W9CA1QENqg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The fact that it's a semiconductor

>silicon
>a metal

Wut

It doesn't, it makes it a good semi-conductor though. It can be switched off and on very easily with low voltages. So low in fact that you can put them in cellphones.

This linux cucktips video explains it better: youtube.com/watch?v=N7ut61pSLwk

Silicon is not a metal it is a metalloid.

What makes it nice is the fact that you can take a crystal of silicon and smash it with boron atoms so that every now and then there is a boron atom in the crystal lattice instead of a silicon atom. Boron has one less valence electron than silicon, so now your silicon crystal that has been "doped" with boron has "holes" where it can accept more electrons. this is called P-type doping. You can also do this with Phosphorus to make a "doped" silicon crystal with extra electrons. This is called N-type doping. Now when you put them adjacent to each other on the same crystal very interesting stuff happens.

not many materials can do this and even less can do it well

This one may be more relevant: youtube.com/watch?v=8W9CA1QENqg

WHERE'S MY 2THZ 512CORE/1024 THREAD GRAPHENE CHIPS?

because it's a semiconductor. Also it's literally the second most common element in the Earth's crust after oxygen so it's more practical than Germanium.

when are we GaAs'ing the jews btw?

Same reason why diamond is the hardest metal.

Attached: 2635568672_bec160eeee.jpg (500x376, 29K)

does p and n type doping stand for positive and negative?

>silicon
>metal
The absolute state of ''''technologist'''' education

pain and negativity

>not dragonforce

I'm really digging OP's bait thread. It's stupid but just enough to be a good giggle but without going too far to be obnoxious retardation.

Attached: Screenshot_20190129195837.png (1307x2048, 2.96M)

What a disgusting looking human being

I want to fuck that thing

silicon is a kernel

Get out.

yes

kek

No, it's an OS. Silica is the kernel.

Yes, if you have "extra" electrons, they can flow, thus creating negative current.
Same with "holes", positive current

Well not "current", I don't know technical English well. I think positive is called "conventional current", and other is just electron flow

fuck off cunt ,its triforce

Silicon is also a good material for anal toys.

Imagine being so gay you just start sticking raw unpolymered minerals up your butt.

Because if you add an e it makes boobies bigger.