How often do you guys actually buy a new laptop?

How often do you guys actually buy a new laptop?

Attached: confess.png (231x218, 6K)

Dunno. The 2012 MacBook Air was my first laptop and I have yet to replace it.

I had an Asus T100 for my first year in software engineering. Barely got me through, upgraded to a Dell i7 processor.

My first and only one, which I got in the summer of 2012 (Acer)

Bought 3 in the past 3 years for various reasons and i plan to buy 1 more before holding out until some cuh ray zee new breakthrough happens

4 years is a good time

Until its broken

i just take home the old one from work when they issue new ones to be honest

Attached: 1550098268591.jpg (480x648, 35K)

I haven't bought a "new" laptop, period. The first one I had to myself was a used X230 in early 2017.

I buy a new Thinkpad for every year of college. New to me of course.

First laptop was a second hand Dell D630. Bought in 2014 because it was cheap as shit.
Second was a Dell E6400, bought in 2015 because it was cheap as shit, but marginally less dreadful than the D630, which looked like a Kinder Egg toy.
The E6400 was a true tank, and survived much abuse and bodily fluids until 2018, when it suffered a catastrophic motherboard failure whilst playing Austin Powers on VGA passthrough to my parent's TV.
Third and current is a Dell E4300, which I got because it was e-waste, and so free.
It's identical to the E6400 apart from being slightly worse in every way.

Attached: 1550118854395.jpg (981x787, 108K)

When the stickers start peeling.

laptops are shit. youre a fool if you buy one unless for college.

Attached: 4e978ecdd20203fa24a879b3ee450018-d815p3g.jpg (3004x1567, 1.26M)

some of us leave our homes

bought a used 2012 thinkpad x1 carbon in 2017. Doubt I'm gonna replace anytime soon unless something happens to it of course. I use my laptop to shitpost, watch kinos and miserably fail at learning to program once every few months.

Mine have 4 years and i use it as my primary machine with openbsd

How often to you clean out the fans/dust?

never did

I'm nearing 4th year of ownership and I haven't done it once tbqh. I probably should take care of some of the nagging issues but I'm too scared to open it up

every 6 years or so

my w key is broken yet I don't plan on buying a new one any time soon

2006: Medion MD97000 (From Aldi in Germany, bought it on a business trip because German coworkers told me it's the shit)
2010: HP DV6-1149 EG (I liked the design, also dedicated GPU, numpad and core2duo for a very low price)
2013: ThinkPad T431s (company paid half of it and it was the only model available if I wanted them to pay half)
2016: Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air (because the T431s broke)

The Mi Notebook Air is still good. What bothers me is the slow CPU, the T431s was faster and I was a little stupid to buy an ultra-portable laptop because usually I don't do performance-intensive things on my way.

I might get myself some HP ProBook next year

On a side note, I don't use my laptops that much. My Mi Notebook has had a combined uptime of less than 1k hours in 3 years (and still runs Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)

I've bought like 3 laptops in the past 2 years...
I'm still trying to find my perfect Ultra Book

I'm thinking of buying a the new Vaio SX14...
Please stop me.

I have a T400 which I've been using since 2013, and I have no plans to upgrade it if I don't actually need it.

Usually I'll buy a new laptop every 4-6 years.

I'll open the laptop up and blow everything out and apply new thermal paste every 2-3 years whether it needs it or not.

Every three years a new Apple MacBook Pro. I use it 90% for work, so I can completely write if off from taxes. I get the most expensive one they have, so I can sell it for a high price after three years and get a new one again. Actually you guys pay me for owning an expensive laptop.

Attached: 2018-macbook-pro-980x620.jpg (980x620, 37K)

I don't hold a set time between upgrading. I just upgrade when my current laptop breaks and it doesn't make sense to repair it, becomes unfit for it's purpose or makes sense to upgrade it.

Just buying something new for the purpose of it being new (or ditching something since it's just a bit old) just doesn't make sense to me. How is this a confession thread though?

Attached: ee22ef1b480447961ace6c1b002368e52a43ee20-1.jpg (1125x1500, 962K)

Whenever I need a new one, my old Lenovo G500 shit itself so I got a MacBook Air 2014 just this year it's it's still running like a pro

never bought one, I would like to have one but you can always buy a way better desktop for the same price, so I never end up buying a laptop

Last serious laptop I had was an Asus with an i7 not sure the model. Gonna get some thinkpads.

I use my laptop for browsing the web, email, office software, working from the road, watching / streaming movies and TV, etc. All I use my desktop for anymore is playing video games every once in a while. I use my laptop every day and don't use my desktop even once a week.

My point being that 95% of what I use a computer for doesn't require a powerful CPU or GPU so the laptop having lower specs than my desktop doesn't really matter that much to me.

I picked up a basically brand new ThinkPad A485 with a Ryzen 5 2500u CPU for like $500 on ebay recently for a work laptop and don't have any complaints at that price.

My HP Notebook is still working and I don't plan on upgrading.

I haven't at all, but need to because the sound of the fan is getting annoying.

>10 year old Core2Quad @2GHz
>Still working fine for everything

every 3-5 years depending on needs and product development. Still on a 2015 rMBP that I hate at the moment, itching for a new windows machine but all of the top offerings from main manufacturers currently have some glaring flaw that makes all of them unbuyable. Razer, Alienware, Lenovo etc. Why the fuck is it so hard to put out something that doesn't massively suck in some way or another?

I still have my x220, shit barely works.
Probably gonna buy something else soon.

I don't buy new.

Seems like that's what happens when the marketing team dictates the release cycle instead of the R&D / engineering team...

The same thing happens with video games too, they're all released as an unfinished, buggy mess nowadays and all the consumer can hope for is that the developer will fix the bugs and add more features with patches after release.

bought one a long time ago. A asus something with an i7 4 gen. Changed the mechanical disk for an SSD but never really thought about upgrading. Unless you game on your laptop I dont really see the reason for upgrading.
Also I got like tons of 2018 model Lenovos and Macbooks from work lying around that I can just get for free. Still did not upgrade to that as I honestly do not give a shit as my old brick still does the trick.

Take Alienware for example, release the new AREA-M51 with desktop i9, 2080 etc. at $4000, yet with A FUCKING 1080p TN PANEL. WHY? WHY WOULD I SPEND FUCKING $4000 ON A DESKTOP REPLACEMENT MOBILE SAUNA TO END UP WITH A FUCKING 1080p TN PANEL?!
Yes I'm mad.

a fucking good cpu
and medium tier gpu

Once per life usually

because 4K is a meme

Every week

Well then why does it need a 2080 GPU then? Surely a 1660 would suffice for 1080p laptop gaymen.

Since 2007, I am on my 3rd which I bought last year.

Exactly, it's like some fucking idiot shat out the specs from a marketing meeting.
9900K?
2080 GPU?
1080P panel, yeah great! Everyone plays overshit and fortniggers on their phones so let's sell a $4000 laptop with a 1080p screen. I'm absolutely dumbfounded by it and I have nothing to do with the PC industry in any way apart from not buying their dumbshit product releases

Is it at least a 120hz+ screen or is it only 60hz?

Got mine in 2010 and it still works well, no need to buy a new one

this, fuck these consumerist whores ITT

based

>not being able to go at least a week without a computer