What is the cause of the resurgence of the vinyl meme?

What is the cause of the resurgence of the vinyl meme?

Attached: vinyl.png (807x540, 399K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vwrU8s-M-gc
youtube.com/watch?v=MlE77E7Z6Qc
youtube.com/watch?v=t5rE9bNN_fs&t=301s&list=LLiJ-U-nWl5t4wLKkyDn_GhQ&index=9
discogs.com/Black-Sabbath-War-Pigs/release/3183507
technics.com/uk/products/grand-class/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200g.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVJ-nc5P0o0
youtube.com/watch?v=6GPb6tkbzUY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the technology is there

Being able to pull it out, blow on it and play it without signing in to anything that requires your entire personal record is enticing.

it's trendy

Great point, but you can also do this by using MP3 files and no (((subscription """"services"""")))

youtu.be/vwrU8s-M-gc

Nostalgia.

But then why do all the hipsters buy vinyl now, even though they never used it in their own youth?

Generally have to be ripped from somewhere.

Analog audio provide a larger range of sound and a higher bitrate, so to speak

It sounds better and it also has a much more physical feeling than cds or audio files.

This.
We have optical vinyl readers, just press vinyls with digital quality levels and you basically have an analogue medium that will last forever

>God tier albums thread on /b/
>Post Black Sabbath War Pigs
>7 replies..It's called Paranoid you idiot.
>I'm pretty sure it's called War Pigs.
>I listened to it 5000 times, and like to look at album covers while listening.
>A few days later I go check out my albums in storage.
>Black Sabbath
>War Pigs.
>Check googles
>check wikipedias
>Turns out The album was going to be called war pigs, but paranoid was a hit single, so they changed the title.
>Although some were pressed, none were supposed to have been released.
>Try to find out what it might be worth.
>Guesses and shrugs.
>It's not supposed to exist.

Brainless morons thinking it sounds "warmer" or whatever the fuck the trendy term of the day is

Show pics

not even that it's just zoomers thinking it's cool

Maybe it's a bootleg? Also yea Black Sabbath was scared that people would get butthurt over making fun of police in the album title lol

Uber-boomer here. Started pic related in '87. Only reason kept is it is too expensive to '''''legally''''' reaquire it.
But, hipsters are totally insane. THIS DOES NOT SOUND BETTER!
But, I've made a mini-fortune selling mu doubles on Discogs. So, keep it up Zoomers, great meme!

Attached: IMG_20190310_165705.jpg (4160x3120, 3.17M)

People have realized the fraud that is digital "ownership" and have become bored with modern convenience. Vinyl provides the best balance between soul, quality and feeling of value.

I own a few records that I've recorded and manually de-hummed / de-clicked through some relatively expensive equipment because
1. I couldn't find other rips of the album other than CDs
2. For every one, the CD release is much worse (ie clipped and dynamically compressed because modern """remasters""" are all that is available.)

...I shouldn't have to fucking do this shit because vinyl has WORSE potential dynamic range than redbook standard allows for, producers are just idiots who think people are even more retarded and can't just turn their fucking volume knob to make a song louder and compress the fuck out of everything from the get go. I even compress the vinyl rips to 256kbps AAC since that's transparent, it's al in how shit the master is and modern CDs are horrible for it.

Haven't even looked at it in a couple years.
It's in a cardboard box with a hundred or so LPs.
All mint and put in vinyl or some kind of plastic sleeve (satin sleeve trademark) instead of the paper as soon as they were first played.
Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who etc.
Only a couple are original distribution judging by the dates.
Apparently, if they got scratchy, the guy replaced them.
Estate sale.

>it sounds better
deaf retard detected

studying for the RED interview as we speak. I can't fucking wait to have vinyl recordings on my person wherever I go

Attached: image.jpg (489x499, 119K)

To quote xkdc, mostly the inconvenience and the expense. It makes for a somewhat enjoyable hobby, letting non musical fags enjoy music without havign to actually sit down and listen to it.

millennial != zoomers, pal. zoomers wouldn’t even recognize a record.

can you post the album cover you’re referring to?

i have a RED account
there are only a few things that they have that aren't on rutracker. the only upside to RED is that everything is neatly sorted to a standard while everything on rutracker is a shitshow that requires manual tagging, which takes a lot of time, but if you read the comments on any given torrent on rutracker and check the log files, you are very very unlikely to encounter a "fake" lossless or hi res file.
those russians don't give a fuck about order but they'll chew your head off if you upload a fake upscale.

Attached: smol thom.png (45x45, 6K)

They have fake nostalgia for something they never lived. In other words, they're hipsters.

I started collecting recently and I'm 21. I like that I can own a physical copy of music and not have to worry about data rot.

it's only a meme to zoomers
youtube.com/watch?v=MlE77E7Z6Qc

lmao just download everything from deezer
they can't combat it because 20+ devices use their old APIs

thanks for the info, I’ll use RUT while I’m building up my ratio at the very least. cheers!

vinyl sucks
youtube.com/watch?v=t5rE9bNN_fs&t=301s&list=LLiJ-U-nWl5t4wLKkyDn_GhQ&index=9

The resurrection happened a decade ago. Where the hell have you been?

There is a collectible and physical aspect to them in a world of digital music, it helps that vinyl never went away as turntables never at any point stopped being produced and the simplicity of a vinyl record means that the discs themselves are easy to produce

but I love it

Vinyl had some error in each vinyl make every vinyl unique and usually turntables use warm amps, error and shortcomings makes music sound "unique".

Got a Ziggy Startdust vinyl not long ago and I'd like to give it a listen as I have a FLAC version on my music player. What's a good record player for someone who's not really into vinyl collecting but still wants to listen to them in a somewhat good quality?

There is no record of it ever officially being called War Pigs or being pressed under that title.

Is this it?

discogs.com/Black-Sabbath-War-Pigs/release/3183507

Audio technica lp120

I ripped roughly a dozen albums about 5 years ago. open source program "gramofile" and audacity filter to remove a pop here and there between tracks. The records were in very good condition.
Just a turntable, a preamp, and patchcords for hardware. Uncompressed wav files, but I have flac copies on my computer. They're fine on my computer speakers, but burned to cd on a good stereo they sound a bit "boomy". I think that's because I had to use a borrowed turntable, and I don't think it had a very good cartridge. I found out my turntable was fucked up when I pulled it down from the closet. I suspect my wife's son had an unauthorized party.

I started buying them almost 15 years ago. I'm not sure if it was a hipster thing back then but whatever, a few albums I liked were too rare to be around online so records were the only choice. My buying grew from there and I have quite a few rare records, some worth up to $1000 that I bought for about $50 or less a while ago.

The master tapes of some albums have also been lost too so vinyl records are sometimes the closest you'll ever get to the original masters.

Attached: jdmbmw4.jpg (2048x1435, 1.25M)

If I remember it had the same album art as the standard paranoid album, but a different title of course.

Follow up. On further inspection, I see that's a live album, so no, that's not it.

HD vinyl will make vinyl great again

I just like the analog aspect of it. No objective reason to own one.

Attached: at120lp.jpg (3437x1720, 1.29M)

if I had a choice between vinyl or a spyware infested CDJ, i'd pick the former in a heartbeat

>Audiofools still in denial that Nyquist and Shannon proved them wrong 100 years ago

The loudness war. Vinyl typically has a more dynamic master compared to the fuckin ultra loud digital versions. All this remastering crap just meant studios churning out classic albums dynamically crushed and loud, only meant to be heard on Apple headphones. I have no problem with properly mastered digital. Vinyl is just almost always quieter and dynamic.

I learned to play that title track from internet tabs a couple years ago. I didn't know all the lyrics before that.
"He was the naz, with god given ass" made me laugh every time I tried to play it.

Lel.
This guy. Luv ya user!

Man, Ziggy Stardust is an absolute fucking banger and has one of the best lyrics I've ever listened to.
Also the guys sighing and then saying that they had to break up because Ziggy was killed made me really laugh out loud

>The loudness war. Vinyl typically has a more dynamic master compared to the fuckin ultra loud digital versions.
Largely not true. Most modern vinyl are cut from the same masters as the CD/dig, except for some over-pricee '''''special releases'''''.
Completely true for anything pressed prior to 1990 or so.

Is the Crosley Cruiser really bad?

Never ever touch anything from Crosley.

Is there something else I could buy instead of that in a "similar" price range?

Infographic I made for /mu/ back in the day. Don't touch those pieces of shit.

Attached: crosley-not-even-once.jpg (600x1120, 115K)

Vinyls weren't brickwalled.

It has an average sound quality, the cartridge destroy your vinyls and the build quality is shit. If I'm not mistaken Crosleys are white label products.

>What is the cause of the resurgence of the vinyl meme?
fags

Yep. But guess what, you can make it even worse.

Attached: cringley and extra bass.jpg (638x579, 94K)

Do you people have any opinions on the Numark PT01?

Holy shit, I'm new to this and still learning about stuff but shouldn't that destroy either the needle or the vinyl?

I liked the guitar playing.
Mick Ronson I think. Not sure.

It will destroy the record yes. That's the Crosley experience.

Attached: crosley no returns.jpg (630x680, 181K)

>making the already too heavy arm even heavier
my god

Attached: 1392990210729.jpg (469x480, 28K)

>Mick Ronson I think. Not sure.
My vinyl credits say you're right. You have some good memory nigga.

Usual reason is people liking older music only to find that "remastered" CD's or digital music is of inferior quality overall to vinyl (after a listening comparison session).

For said older music for my Vinyl Rips have been of better quality compared to remasters.
(apparently this is due to a known shitty "loudness war")

Downside I found is modern vinyl re-presses (majority for my personal preferences) are inferior to first or earlier re-leased presses (typically from earlier 90s and before were usually good, past this the quality is shit or these so called 180G vinyl are considerably easy to break either due to poor quality of media material or bad packaging material damages the vinyl, most recent was The Who - Who's Next vinyl kept getting damaged by shitty inner sleeve).

That said I also have some OST soundtracks that are LP only (no CDs or known rips of good quality online).

What's wrong with the LP60?

>Numark PT01
Dude what? That's for DJ scratching. That's a terrible idea.

Your best bet is to go a second hand store or music store and get a record player from the 70s or early 80s. Get something Japanese too, they were the absolute premium in build quality and sound at the time. Linn and Technics are also good.

As long as it has a replaceable cartridge and adjustable counterweight, it should be okay. There aren't many good new turntables, most are just Crosley tier shit or start at well over $500.

No adjustable counterweight, so you'd run into the same problems like

>Get something Japanese too
This sounds interesting, any recommendations on this front?
And yeah, I noticed that most brand new turntables look like they were made by the same company and have the same problems. I'm gonna check out second hand record players.

Soul vs soulless
Digital has no soul

He played on Bowies pinups album too.
Bowie covering his favorite 60's tunes.
I loved Ronson's playing on that one, too.

i'm a zoomer tonnes of my friends got record players and records like a year or two ago. tonnes of other people at my college did too

Off the top of my head ranked by quality, though not all Japanese:
Linn
Marantz
Technics
Akai
Pioneer
Denon

Get one of these, buy a new cartridge and properly setup the counterweight and you'll have a hell of a player. Most places consider old record players to be worthless so you can pickup an incredible one for about $100 or possibly less. Linn is the highest quality one but they can fetch extreme prices.

If you buy a AT LP120 or another turntable from a similar price range you will find all types of issues that require various modifications to get around (particularly for material dampening to get around rumble from platter spinning around and also for tapping the main body or the plinth).

In the end if you are serious about listening to vinyl you have to go with a Technics SL-1200/ 1210 turntable and from there your only significant mods would be getting a good cartridge and headshell together (which simply plugs into the arm) and making the relevant adjustments (from there it is everything else that connects to the turntable that makes an improvement be it cables, amp, speakers, etc).

I knew to dodge these suitshitcase turntables from the start (only slight disagreement would be that some plastic stylus can be good, look up the newer Goldring cartridges such as the E1, although that is Carbon fibre rather than simple shit plastic and is of the lower end rather than high end).

>dat 1200 rip-off
the fug is that even allowed? Theres (admittedly) a fair few Technics copies but that is -blatant-

>serious about listening to vinyl you have to go with a Technics SL-1200/ 1210 turntable
this is with all due, horseshit as well. 1200/1210s were -never- audiphile decks, they are the equivalent of Land Rovers tho. Not unlesss you like listening to classic @ + 10% BPM or some shit. Theyre DJ turntables, for DJs

What's your opinion on a Sony PS-242?

Not necessarily the top end but with so many shit low cost turntables around they are at least the better choice and due to various design features (and overall solid build) it is not uncommon for them to outperform much pricier turntables (as seen in quite a few comparisons).

At the very least they are not shit (especially the MK5G and recent re-releases).

no, fairplay - but for the price you'll pay for one of those, you can do way better for 'audiophile' listening IMO. You want tank-build quality, however, Technics is your go to, for sure

>1200/1210s were -never- audiphile decks
now they are
technics.com/uk/products/grand-class/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200g.html

It's a fun hobby to tinker with the equipment, it sounds almost as good as CD, the giant discs look cool

I collect vinyl because I love supporting artists that deserve it.
That, and collecting it over the course of my life, I'll start accumulating tons of music in a physical collection. Kinda like what I like now compared to what I like back then, idk

R8 this loadout
>Pioneer PL-518
>Ortofon OM2 Blue w/ Ortofon headshell (ground wire on OG headshell broke off due to age)
>red transparent acryllic mat
>Realistic 42-2101A amp
Used it to rip new old stock YMO albums due to the modern masters being pure ass, just nice and clean and not overpoweringly loud.

I don't have much experience with Sony but it looks alright I guess. The only concern might be that it's direct drive which could lead to some distortion or rumbling. So if you can get one really cheap, that would be okay, but it's worth aiming for the other ones I mentioned since a day will come when you wish you had fronted up a little more money for something better.

and SL-1500C
streamed down version for quarter the price
m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVJ-nc5P0o0

it's fun to sit down and listen to an entire LP through and through. Sure you can just listen to mp3s all in a row, but it's like going to the movies vs watching part 1/10 youtube 240p.

the point is that you make an occasion out of it

>1200G
s'pose if everyone else was making poor 1200/1210 knock-offs, technics thought they may as well join in. Never seen one desu, till then, skeptical, remain

Great quality and fantastic sound with modern technology

youtube.com/watch?v=6GPb6tkbzUY

Do you live under a rock? Pretty much every player has an SL1200 repro on the market. The original is so old now it's not covered by patents or copyrights or whatever. Pioneer, Denon, Stanton, Audio Technica, list goes on... All of them have the 1200 in production in a form or another.

Vinyl is shit. If you're going to go analog the only good option is reel to reel.

Attached: 1547147687473.png (339x345, 187K)

Reel to reel is much rarer though.

Listening to vinyl right now AMA

How can your pathetic plastic disc compare to my flawless flac files free of rotational velocidensity?

Idk
I like vinyl

It has more soul than your cold, lifeless files that don't actually exist.

>I can't see it so it doesn't exist

Attached: 550.png (207x243, 7K)

Properly encoded digital audio is arguably superior to most consumer analog formats I just like the idea of an analog signal forming an unbroken chain from the studio to the speakers

Attached: 1551317723576.png (1110x953, 1.69M)

Some people are just ahead of the curve of what comes into fashion. I was a minimalist before it became an Instagram trend. I never saw the need to own much in life and now people are pretending they are enlighten like the buddha. The trends go away and all those hipsters will be 60 years old one day and be like "member when we used to listen to vinyl?!?". Just keep doing you, the NPCs fall in and out of trends.

hipster cred

I literally have one just so I can tell people that I have one. Also my friend's father passed away and he had a ton of old records that my friend wasn't interested in so I took them and needed something to play them on.