Are any modern laptops not shit?

Are any modern laptops not shit?

Attached: 1552243954646.jpg (480x648, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/en-au/work/shop/business-laptops-ultrabooks-and-tablets/latitude-14-rugged-laptop/spd/latitude-14-5414-laptop
mntre.com/reform/
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/c201.html
pine64.org/?page_id=3707
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Thinkpads
while being worse than the old ones, they're still one of the best laptops you can get

Thinkpads are chinese though.

yeah
most modern laptops are

got something against chinese? bet the shit where you are writing are partially chinese

Citation needed.

Macbook Pros.

Sure, they ruined the IBM Thinkpad brand.

> bet the shit where you are writing are partially chinese
You lost that bet.

Where do you think they make Apple, Dell, HP, Sony, Acer, and Samsung laptops?

OP asked for not shit laptops.

Winnie the pooh

Great build quality, great screens, great track pads, and MacOS is a great OS. They are great.

Look mate, we're looking for laptops that aren't shit, okay?
This thread wasn't made for you, Jing heng huanson.

Seriously though, pretty much all laptops are made in China these days. I don't know a single brand that makes them elsewhere. Is there even a single company that doesn't make their motherboards in Chinese bugmen factories?

Except they overheat, keyboards die suddenly, screens die, and have no ports.

>dell.com/en-au/work/shop/business-laptops-ultrabooks-and-tablets/latitude-14-rugged-laptop/spd/latitude-14-5414-laptop

They don't overheat, and a percentage of any laptop model is going to fail, that's just reality. Dongles do kind of suck, but there's always some tradeoff for being on the leading edge.

>They don't overheat,
Maybe your base model i5 doesn't, but i9 models overheat and throttle so bad they don't ever approach their design GHz rating.
>and a percentage of any laptop model is going to fail,
And the number in Macbooks is disproportionately high for a supposedly "High-end" computer which should have a QC a bit better than a $300 Walmart special.
>that's just reality. Dongles do kind of suck, but there's always some trade-off for being on the leading edge.
There's no "leading edge" on removing features people use and replacing them with patch solutions like dongles. Lenovo manages to put 2 thunderbolt ports on most last-gen Thinkpads, while retaining ""legacy"" ports like USB-A, full size HDMI, MiniDP, Ethernet, etc.

>leading edge
ok, what exactly is leading edge?

4x 40Gbps ports that substitute hdmi, displayport, gigabit ethernet, eSata, USB 3.0 , among others.

Thinner, lighter, fewer ports, higher definition screens, bigger batteries, smaller motherboards, and the highest end CPUs currently made along with smaller cooling solutions and the most aggressive thermal throttling code ever written.

the huawei matebook 13 looks great but
>huawei
can they be trusted? I'm leaning toward the xps 13 since they have excellent linux support

Thinkpad 25 was the last non shit laptop. They’re all gone now and selling for more than new used already.

My Acer Swift 1 running Lubuntu 18.04 is good.

>Great build quality
>MacOS is a great OS
What the fuck am I reading? I know this is bait but don't confuse OP.

Define "not shit". What do you need?

Yes, specially those that use intel processors. Spoiler Spectre variant. Will be exploited via javascript, so your web browsing security is compromised.

The MNT Reform is looking pretty good.
mntre.com/reform/
There's also the Asus C201
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/c201.html
More free than even a librebooted ThinkPad thanks to free EC firmware. Drawbacks are soldered on WLAN card that needs blobs to work, and similar problem with gpu acceleration because of mali GPU. The latter is being worked on. Former is being ignored as far as I know because everyone just gets a usb wifi dongle that works with all free software. I think it'd be nice to fix those couple issues, though.
Getting to less free/cool stuff here, but there's the Pinebook.
pine64.org/?page_id=3707
There may be more that are decent, but that's off the top of my head. I've got a few ThinkPads and I would not recommend them anymore. We need to stop supporting these anti-freedom devices even if they are built fairly well and have some cool features like docking stations and pointing sticks. We ought to leave x86 behind. ARM is not ideal, but it is realistic. We'll hopefully see some RISC-V laptops in the next 5-10 years, but for now I think it's better to be on ARM stuff than x86 stuff. POWER and MIPS may be viable too, but they are a lot less common.

Unironically buy a gaming laptop. Everything else is an ultrabook meme. I.e slow as dogshit.

Hardware speed does not matter at this point, and you're probably not getting good power usage with that kind of laptop either.

MacBook Air

Attached: 1551970044588.jpg (248x326, 21K)

Generally speaking, only business laptops have the life span, build quality, etc, all laptops used to have.

less ports an thin bezel bettr eeeoiiiiiiiaahhhh hurrrr

Attached: retardedwojack0.jpg (474x390, 27K)

I'm getting either lenovo legion or Schenker XMG A517-M18zdf. It's time to stop being a corelet and a 60Hz-let. Don't give a shit how they look and don't really care about the GPU. The state of non-gaming laptops is absolutely atrocious.
Did Wirth's law stop working overnight or something?

I'm serious. What's wrong with MacOS?

It's literally a worse Linux with no hardware support.

>Are any modern laptops not shit?
Since when laptops were any good? Laptop is a portable computer for a simple tasks, just like a tablet. Desktops are workstations.

Dell makes good midrange laptops.

poorfag detected
If I could afford a macbook I would never touch linux again.

Sorry, butterfly keyboard
Breaks within days unless it's a 2015 MacBook or earlier
Fuck outta here

You would because macbooks have absolute dogshit build quality.

This guy YouTubes.

Yes, mbp.

MacBook Air is good too. The non retina one is fine if you are poor.

Oh so on what are you typing exactly?

Based