WTF IS THIS SHIT

so normally if i find an image on the web and i want to save it, i just click and drag it to my desktop (and move it later after i'm done with it). worked great for years.

but nooooo, now half the time i find an image, it's a .webp. what the fuck is this shit? can't upload it to Jow Forums, macOS can't open it in preview which means you can't hit the spacebar to look at it quickly, thumbnails don't get generated, so the only way to see your image is to open it in a browser. WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA!?!?

this is just another piece of google bullshit imho, like how they made youtube videos all load into your browser via ajax so that you can't just curl them or find the URL to download them. so fucking annoying that there needs to be development around youtube-dl (which i use often) instead of google just putting a fucking "download" button on yt. i fucking hate this shit, and this .webp thing is just another fucking piece of shit crappy move to require you to do everything in your browser so that Lord Google can know Everything About You™

Attached: 24823-picture1.png (587x604, 378K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developers.google.com/speed/webp/
github.com/emin/WebPQuickLook
twitter.com/AnonBabble

GNU/Linux doesn't have this problem

I use Arch btw

It does, because almost nothing can open it.

Works in Firefox, Feh and GIMP

>can't upload it to Jow Forums
4chen is garbage
>macOS can't open it
gayOS is gay garbage
>thumbnails don't get generated, so the only way to see your image is to open it in a browser
works fine in linux and windows 10
stay homo nigger

Attached: tr1e3.jpg (381x381, 87K)

Werks fine here, maybe you should reconsider your computing platform choices.

Attached: Capture.png (104x89, 19K)

>Firefox to view images
Bloat
>GIMP to do minimal image editing
Bloat, call me when KolourPaint gets webm support
>Feh
Literally who shit. Call me when default image viewers of relevant DEs get webm support.

GIMP and 5 dependencies = 117.35 MiB
KolourPaint and 55 dependencies = 179.20 MiB

>half the time i find an image, it's a .webp

Yeah, how random it is fucking sucks. There's also times when the entire google images page changes to this weird white background thing with images in a scrolling bar on one side and big image on the other side. There's a few other things they do, which is mostly likely just beta testing bullshit. It is puke inducing.

GIMP is a clusterfuck if you want simple editing, KolourPaint is easy and it takes less time to do basic stuff there. Also,
>muh dependencies
Literally irrelevant. You need 0B of dependencies if you're already on KDE or use anything else with KDE dependencies.

webp converter
developers.google.com/speed/webp/

>this .webp thing is just another fucking piece of shit crappy move to require you to do everything in your browser so that Lord Google can know Everything About You™
No, you're just a complete fucking idiot. webp is a new format, it doesn't have much software support yet. The support for it will trickle in and it'll be just like png and jpeg except it compresses better.

who fucking cares about better compression, when youtube makes it impossible for an average user to download a given video, and instead forces them to stream it over and over again every time they want to watch it? your argument sounds like some retarded google marketing shill, since obviously they make money off bandwidth-expensive traffic vs. using something bandwidth-efficient to deliver content to the users

Nice b8 OP

Every image viewer based on gdk-pixbuf and imlib2 can be patched to support it, others (like Gwenview) support it ootb. There's also extended support if a program can use libwebp as a shared library.

mpv opens them

Please try to know what you're talking about the next time you post.

I have never ever seen one of these. what websites are they used on?

user, you're retarded.
Poor support for a new format isn't a reason to call it shit. It's shit because it's a bloated format.

>2003-Present: Firefox devs adamantly refuse to include .mng/.jng support because it would increase the download size by 94kb
>2018: They add cancerous .webp support without a second thought

Attached: mng status in firefox.png (471x239, 26K)

It took 5+ years for webp to be added and they marked every ticket asking for support as WON'T FIX until quite recently

github.com/emin/WebPQuickLook
you can use this plugin for thumbnails & quick look

though i've only seen webp's like 3 times

yeah because they were afraid of Microsoft adding it to Edge lol

>WebP

Attached: webpiss.png (1920x1080, 1.72M)

>macOS can't open it in preview

Attached: 1549240929352.gif (540x304, 1.78M)

came here to post this

>without a second thought
They were vehemently against it, until Google agreed to add APNG to Chrome, but under the condition that both browsers "advertise" support for both webp and apng in the "Accept" header.

Install a webp plugin

fuck webp
they could have made it palatable to everyone but they decided not to
all they had to do was split it to imitate png/jpg and it would have had immediate adoption

One day, user, one day...

Yeah, it's just like webm! Why would you use webm over mp4 or avi or mkv on the web- oh

I dunno why, but when I first heard about it a few years back, I thought the idea of a unified image format was pretty cool. I guess being able to have everything in a single format was attractive, but then I realized they weren't just trying to have a single image codec that does it all. They wanted to imitate video container formats, in images. This is evident by the fact that while the lossy variety is a vp8 keyframe, the lossless codec is a completely separate encoder that they just call vp8lossless, but isn't actually part of any VP8 spec.

I'm sorry, but no. MKV I'm ok with because even though it can have any arbitrary video stream, "distributors" generally only use codecs that are already well supported, and you generally don't care what codec is used unless you care about GPU support. With images you want to know if the file is lossy or lossless, or whether it may contain animations. Personally I'm also in favor of throwing out "animated image formats", and just leave that to video files like webm.
There's the argument that it doesn't matter, the OS doesn't actually care about the extension, as long as it can identify the contents, but this neglects that there are people who are aware of image file extensions, that are careful of what formats to save their content in. You wouldn't, for example, want to save pixel art in a lossy format, because that would completely ruin it. Artists just know to save that kind of stuff as a PNG, but if WebP becomes relevant, you'd have to tell them "Ok, save it as a WebP, but don't forget to enable lossless, or it'll be fucked."

Having better compression algorithms are great, but you need to fucking consider how these files are actually used in the real world before you start breaking how people interact with files. It's the same fucking shit with Google trying to hide some sub-domain names like "www" and "m", without considering the consequences of real world usage.

just use mpv

Attached: webp mpv.jpg (2272x1768, 1.19M)

based

We have 2 standards this is why I always use:

Sorry, your browser doesn't support embedded videos.

If you’re on a Mac just use wget you absolute brainlet.