Not sure if this is the place to ask but I'm just starting to learn Unity and C# and am wanting to make a Metroidvania...

Not sure if this is the place to ask but I'm just starting to learn Unity and C# and am wanting to make a Metroidvania or Megaman-X type of game. What do I need to make art and assets? Photoshop? I plan to use and make pixel art for the game.

Attached: PIXELART.gif (540x300, 2.76M)

Other urls found in this thread:

yarrninja.com/pixeltutorial/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

don't use unity

You arent seriously going to write a game like that if you just started learning C#. What you should do first is learn to make games using a game engine someone else wrote that allows for total customisation of the game. Photoshop is not necessary. It is sufficient but not necessary. Many other programs will give you the same results

this there are so many reasons not to use unity also on /vg/ is /agdg/ probably a better place

you will need 3d software
unless you learn everything about game physics and lighting to go with your newfound knowledge of c

whats wrong with Unity? I can't let all this C# knowledge go to waste.

>Many other programs will give you the same results

Such as?

It's an extremely bloated engine that is far overkill for a relatively simple 2d platformer. Look into Godot, monogame, SFML.net, FNA-XNA

whatever you make in unity you don't fully own that licensing and shit. use an engine which lets you own your game also unity is probably overkill anyway.
If you know how to program in c# you should be able to adapt to almost anything.

Try Gale.

how is every single piece of advice in this thread terrible
people make metroidvanias with Unity, Photoshop isn't that great for pixel art thought I think people use Graphics Gale these days

people make pizza with anchovies on it, it doesn't mean it's any good
Unity is bloated botnet

just because it's bloated botnet doesn't mean it's not any good

A metroidvania game doesn't need to be more than 100mb
Unity can't make projects that small
He won't own his own game
And afaik you can't make proper pixel perfect games in it, or they might've fixed that by now

>He won't own his own game

What do you mean by this? They'll demand a cut if I put it on Steam or...?

>A metroidvania game doesn't need to be more than 100mb

What about OP pic related?

size is irrelevant and Unity doesn't own your game

>What do you mean by this? They'll demand a cut if I put it on Steam or...?
>size is irrelevant and Unity doesn't own your game

If the game is on a proprietary engine, that makes you advertise them and they take a cut, it isn't your game.
I don't know what game OP posted, but given that we had metroidvania games on a fucking SNES I don't think a 1gb install is warranted.

Blender is used for making 3D units and animating them I believe.

you seem to be confused about what 'ownership' entails
stop confusing innocent people with your FOSS garbage

>program your own game
>can't even distribute it or make changes to it

you're allowed to do both

but we're talking about a 2D game.

Like others have said don't use Unity. Try Godot, it's great for 2D and pretty good for 3D. There is a guy on YouTube called GDQuest who does great Godot tutorials and 2D game art tutorials as well. Good luck. Game development is fun and rewarding!

Will my C# be useful in godot at all? Or should I just move on entirely to GDscript?

juse use Unity

for 2d...
on linux:
piko pixel, libresprite, tiled, grafx2
for the game: godot for an engine or SFML which has c# bindings if you want to code the whole thing yourself.
all of this is free shit.

windows:
gimp, krita,graphicsgale, tiled. grafx2
godot or sfml.
pay for shit:
aesprite (libresprite on linux)
pro motion

way to out yourself as a clueless retard
hollow knight, the best metroidvania out there, is made in unity

OP shouldn't listen to anybody in here since nobody here has shipped a game ever anyway me included. Especially not the people saying use unity.

I've shipped 3 games (not on Unity) and I'm saying he should use Unity

assuming you're not lying (why would anybody do that right?) how can you say that OP should use unity if you personally have not? unity is fine and all I just think fully owning your work is more important imo.

Because it has a huge track record of shipped games in the style the OP wants to make using the language the OP knows
Dont say retarded shit like "you don't fully own your game"
Of course you do
You don't own the Unity engine, but even if you don't use Unity your game will still be using things you don't own, even if you program everything yourself still have to interact with the OS you didn't make, stop huffing RMS's farts

OP here. I think I'm gonna keep using Unity since I feel pretty good learning it and am getting the hang of C#. And if I ever want to change engines maybe when I'm knowledgable enough I'll give Monogame a try as well.

Attached: axiom.jpg (1920x1080, 327K)

>even if you don't use Unity your game will still be using things you don't own
you really don't understand free and open source licenses do you?
I'm not talking about making everything yourself I'm talking about owning the source including engine code. owning as in you can do whatever the fuck you want with it.

I have just started learning c# and now I can write a world class game

pic related

Attached: is this you.gif (300x207, 1.86M)

Owning the engine code is an arbitrary place to draw the line, you own what you produced in Unity, the point is you're never going to own every dependency your program has

I hate that Linux universally doesn't have Unity.

what the fuck is your problem of course you can own every dependency your program has and no the os is not a dependency.
it is normal to own every dependency unless you choose to use proprietary code you have license or something like unity.

>the os is not a dependency.
lol
your program won't run without an OS, I'd say it's a dependency

But you're completely free to do both of those with Unity.

look man you clearly don't get. I'm just gonna leave it at that.

I do get it, I'm trying to make the point that "owning" all your code is an arbitrary position to take and not a practical concern
besides, you don't own the open source code you're using either, you're using it via a license in the same way you're using Unity, it's just more permissive

I guess while I'm here what are the best resources to learn art work also? Kinda like pic related? and art in general. I know I have a long way to go as I'm not particularly experienced at drawing or art.

Attached: COOLART.gif (960x720, 570K)

yarrninja.com/pixeltutorial/

I feel like we are just arguing about semantics and the meaning of words at this point.

If you're making a 2D game like that then it's even easier with regards to the progtamming aspect.

Oh boy. You're going to animate it but you don't have experience? It's going to take some time, like at least some years for you to animate something like mega man, that shit seems easy but it's hard as fuck. Anyways, best place to find learning material is youtube and deviant art, just lurk there and you'll find.
t. drawfag

OP can probably just make basic background stuff and a blue print of important things. Then hire in artists.

Honestly pixel art was fucking difficult for me, I'd rather do 3D or that 3D models in 2D thing. Till I can raise enough money for artists.

Another trouble is music and sound.