Why do people shit on these things so much?

Why do people shit on these things so much?

I dont get it. what is it about the 970s that cause people to become irrationally irate in PC building circles?

Attached: 61C6A833-51C6-4837-9A78-7EFB7A2D97C5.jpg (425x283, 13K)

I have no idea. I have a small one as my OS/core program drive in my current build, it was on sale for a good price and I figured "why not try it?" It's been great so far.

Something something SATA good M.2 bad

>Why do people shit on these things so much?
they don't though?

Jealous poorfags.

Only downside I can think of is that using one of these tends to disable a sata port. Not sure if it's a mobo specific thing but that's a common issue I commonly saw when researching SSDs.

There's no downside to it
Cable management is way easier using multiple of these bitches

which people?

I love them

I love that they've made sata ssd's so cheap now.

>pcpp part list includes m.2 drive
>NONO GET REGULAR SATAS THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE IN DAILY USE

If you're taking about the 970+ Evos it's because there's no real reason to pay 3-4x the prices that regular m.2s. you're literally paying a premium for the "Evo" badge

>using one of these tends to disable a sata port. Not sure if it's a mobo specific thing
Don't know about the Intel side, but on AMD it's usually: B chipsets = lose two SATA ports because there's less usable lanes; X chipsets = lose a PCIe slot OR a SATA port, depending on whether the SSD uses NVMe or AHCI. The latter may be a limitation of the AMD AHCI controller (6 channels), which could change with X570 but highly doubtful.

If you mean this particular drive then yes it's double the price for slightly better performance than just an evo 970

OP's one of those people who's a victim in scenarios that only exist in his head

Ryzen offers 4 lanes dedicated to nvme.
Ryzen has 24 lanes:
>2x8 OR 1x16 for the main PCI-e slota
>4 for nvme
>4 for the chipset

The chipset offers PCI-e 2.0 lanes and this is where the chipsets differ. But all Ryzens have 24 PCI-e 3.0 lanes that are independent from the chipset.

Some AM4 boards have a 2nd m.2 slot that is connected to the chipset. There you would have to choose between a set number of SATA ports or nvme.

Never heard anyone shit on them, so don't know what you are talking about.

They do however provide no benefit over regular SSDs beyond cable management as their write/read speeds are only relevant with file transfers between two NVMe drivers so their impact as far as system performance for the average user is little to none.

And if you are talking about the 970 Pro. It has a longer theoretical lifespan (which won't matter as you will replace it long before) over the 970 Evo and that's about it, it is almost double the price for no value at all.

Got my 970 evo plus 1TB last week, feels good.

970 evo is much slower, evo plus fixes that though. It's the best time to buy a TLC memory as Samsung moved to a new process but haven't moved to QLC garbage yet.

>much slower
>on already fast as fuck speeds which most likely you won't ever benefit from on your daily user
k user

You can read my post as 970 Evo Plus, it does not make a difference.

>970 evo is much slower

No, it's about 10% faster and you will not notice the difference at all. You could increase speeds on NVMe drives by a factor of 10 and you will sitll not notice it in any real world situation unless you copy between two NVMe drives.