Any good DAWs for Linux

Back when I was a windows cuck, I used to do some music production as a hobby on FL Studio.
I'm getting the urge to start again, but now I am on Linux.
What are my options? I need a DAW that
a) can handle vsts (I have purchased many synths and other stuff),
b) can handle samples from splice and
c) can handle midi keyboard

Is there anything like this on Linux, preferably open source, but anything will do really?
Or should I install Windows on a seperate drive and boot into that when I wanna make some music? I really hate this option and would like to avoid it.
I also had another crazy idea. Creating my own DAW that does the things I want, from an existing Open Source DAW. Is this even possible? How much time and knowledge would this require? I'm just a CS student.

Pic not related, is what I used to have.

Attached: apps.17717.13510798886194062.db3d89ef-da4c-436f-8be6-c7f8e2cdcfe8.a475827b-1a14-4d4e-bec1-6a280d5194 (620x620, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ardour.org/
github.com/psycha0s/airwave
clyp.it/wx3p53ep
clyp.it/bfn15e3l
clyp.it/xtunfs2g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pretty much the only DAW there is on Linux is LMMS, you could probably run FL Studio in wine though

Reaper

everyone itt is wrong. bitwig runs native and is made by ex ableton engineers. vsts are generally platform specific in a lot of cases but bitwig supports vst none the less

daws are all fucked up on linux due to vst's, I'd honestly recommend to not even bother trying to get everything to work.

LMMS all the way

None. Avoid Linux for DAWs. It's a mess and nothing works.

Dual boot or use VMware PCI Pass through or even wine

FL Studio in Windows VM
Unfortunately, despite how good Linux is, it's lackluster in the software availability department

just dualboot.

Reaper recently released a linux version

Ableton 10 works completely fine on Linux too through wine. The only real problem now are VSTs.

Music production is one area where Linux has poor software support. Sure bitwig runs natively, but there aren't any VSTs. Just dual boot.

>What is tracktion
>What is reaper
>What is bitwig

ardour.
lmms
cow plugins

they all suck

can't dualboot really. the way I do things is I do multiple things at the same time.
E.g. I type a bit of code, then swap to Jow Forums and post something, back to coding, then I swap to DAW maybe add a few notes, then swap to writing a bit of the essay I have due next week, then back to Jow Forums etc etc.
dual booting would kill me. Plus I have no intention of infecting myself, my machine or my music with windows cancer.
If people aren't willing to make their software available on linux, then so much the worse for them. It's not like my life depends on using their shit.
what's the difference between ardour and lmms? seems I am going to use one of these two. and they both are open source so I might learn something in the process.
these cow plugins sound pretty good btw.

Renoise

Attached: serveimage.png (1200x766, 36K)

>linux
>audio

Attached: 1470330487475.png (2409x2430, 283K)

Don't make music on GNU/linux unless you use mostly hardware instruments.

im running FL through wine and all my vsts work absolutely fine except quite a lot of text is missing
have Maudio vst suite working fine, all fruity vst work fine
overall the experience is quite buggy, issues with reg file but i think that is my fault and someone not as much of a linux noob wouldnt have an issue, FL has always been buggy for me even on windows but using xubuntu it actually performs a lot better on the piece of crap laptop im currently using
going to check LMMS though as its so far the best (and only?) completely free daw ive found

>If people aren't willing to make their software available on linux, then so much the worse for them

I guess they won't get any of the 0 dollars you were willing to spend on their software.

VSTs are the one thing missing from Linux. Theres ways you can bridge them over, but it doesn't always have good results. Theres FOSS vsts native to Linux but I've only found one so far worth using (Dexed) Fortunately, I use hardware and samples 90% of the time so the transition was easy for me to make.

>What is tracktion
Mess of a UI, no way to undo plugin changes. Changes standard shortcuts and UI designs just to be different.
>What is reaper
Good
>What is bitwig
Good but feels like its in a permanent beta status. Devs like adding all these new toys but ignore basic functionality like comping, GPU rendering, track freeze, etc.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>It's not like my life depends on using their shit.
and their lives don't depend on you using their stuff. sounds like a win win.

Retard

FL Studio is based. I have used it since I was 13.

t. Erik Arbores

no, its
t. guy who never made it past a useless hobby and a soundcloud account
its fun but it will never make me money

i remember using a pirated version of this on windows xp

1. ardour.org/
2. github.com/psycha0s/airwave
Most midi controllers work with Linux.

Your distro should also have lv2 and ladspa plugin packages or collections in its repository, make sure you install those, they'll generally cover most of what you need for utilities and effects. The amount of stability you'll get with Windows-native VSTs will also vary with WINE and a bridge like airwave; you could try setting up a virtual machine with Windows and piping audio or midi data over network using JACK and a VST host on Windows. Better yet would be having a separate rig running Windows natively and then piping audio/midi data from that.

Do you have ms corefonts installed? Might solve your missing text issues.

That's the only reason I keep Windows on my PC.

I have installed FL Studio on Linux and it barely works. I can't easily install some VSTs and I have issues with sound and latency. And LMMS sucks too.

Try Ardour, it has a native version for each OS

FL Studio runs on Android Linux

Just use Renoise, the most autistic DAW of all time (2nd being datamax)

Here's some tracks I did in Renoise

clyp.it/wx3p53ep
clyp.it/bfn15e3l
clyp.it/xtunfs2g

Attached: Capture.png (1920x1042, 225K)

Try Zynaddsubfx and Helm if you want some more instruments. I'm working on some new chiptune-type instruments too which I may release soon.

Ardour is subscription based and they make a good amount of money so there absolutely is proof that Linux users will pay for things. Stop buying into the Microsoft FUD.