/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1552319833125.jpg (670x400, 462K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/redhat-performance/tuned
tuned-project.org/
chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/ /master/docs/linux_build_instructions.md
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32232
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

linux is gay get a life you losers

Old:

GNU/Linux*

what are some GNU games ?

is Linux good??

Red Eclipse is pretty cool.

you're gay, get a life loser

>sexually insecure teenagers
This site is 18+.

OwO wuts dis

Attached: sg.jpg (670x400, 290K)

Fedora is modern and secure. You should install it.

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

bsdgames

dunnet (in emacs)

it's a decent trannykernel, pair it with a good OS such as GNU

Attached: whats-gnu.jpg (500x373, 62K)

how long do you typically need to get decent at vim? I'm impressed by its capabilities and wanna make the switch but I don't have all the time in the world to learn.

why would somebody want to learn how to use emacs lite?

Run vimtutor. You have the basics in 10 minutes.

So im on 5.0
Nothing feels different

Lets say I buy a used laptop online that has Win 10 pre-installed on it. Do I still need to use a USB to install Linux/Ubuntu on it? I've never used anything besides Windows before.

Attached: 1522455365813.jpg (625x552, 52K)

You can use a CD if you want.

In short: yes.
In length: you can also use network and CD installs.

The confusion is that there are 3 classes of "init systems".

There's the POSIX model (SYSVINIT):
>PID1 just runs a bunch of shell scripts to start things the system needs, usually just under 1K lines each
>these scripts fork a bunch of daemons that allow you to mount the disk or whatever
>shell script is slow already but also they're each constantly forking ps and awk to check if it's allowed to start or if it needs to wait for another process to appear
>cron, dhcpd, etc are there own daemons that runs in the bg
>has concept of "target" -- of which there are 5 -- each inherit the previous and add new lists of services to boot
>adopted some RC features over the years
>>every daemon is "loose" and on it's own

PLAN 9 model (RC):
>you fork a daemon called RC that manages "runlevels" instead of targets with some new abilities
>runs op top of sysvinit as its own layer -- but some like OpenRC can replace and do SYSVINIT binary's job
>own set of service modules but cans still manage sysvinit scripts
>properly lists dependencies for daemons
>you interact with RC and it enables and disables modules in SYSVINIT based on RC's policies
>since RC manages the other daemons and runs in the bg, it can watch out for events, like one of its children dying and restart it
>can listen to hardware events, like a USB drive being inserted, and execute rules accordingly
>>every daemon is "loose" but under the watchful eye of the RC

Attached: details.jpg (726x437, 65K)

Will the new computer automatically start the installation process if I boot it up for the first time with the Linux USB already plugged into the laptop? Sorry if these seem like really stupid questions.

MacOSX Tiger Model (launchd/systemd):
>replaces RC and SYSVINIT
>no shellscripts, everything is represented as a service manifest with simple definitions that serve as rules for execution
>implements a service-backbone layer that any application can use for messaging (somewhat like 9FS, but socket-based)
>instead of having dozens or hundreds of active daemons watching out for events, launchd(aemon) receives events and passes it onto the program accordingly
>everything is a service, not a process (microkernel-model but in userspace)
>crond, mountd, etc, made redundant since launchd can provide the same abilities as a natural result of it's core functionality
>can boot services in parallel since every service modules is part of a dependency-tree
>can automatically start and stop things like the printing service or any daemon only as programs ping the socket instead of wasting RAM and starting everything at bootup
>way faster bootup since only what you need at that moment gets loaded (and in parallel)
>finally allows POSIX to match NT's Service Host "shared service processes" model
>>there's are no daemons (except for launchd), daemons(services) are only launched when launchd says they are

Honestly, the problem with the systemd project binaries isn't that they are "big" -- in fact the project is actually small since the systemd programs reduces the number of programs with overlapping functionality you have installed.
The issue is that distros are too lazy to support RC-style inits, which still have merit.

Attached: index.jpg (216x234, 5K)

runit = based
syswhatever = cringe

Yes, but you can use other installation media (CDs, other types of flash media, etc.).

Runit is the only true init system.
>btw i use void

That was informative, thanks user.

Open the BIOS, change the boot order first, or if you laptop allows you to select your temporary boot device from boot, do that.

Before that make a booteable usb with rufus and the iso of the distro you want.

Boot it into your pc, select Live Install, and do the installation process, it's braindead simple.

Trying to get void working, my wireless card detects networks around me, but won't connect to my home network when I put in the right password. What do?

Remind me why void exists.

See if you can use some other network (or your phone's hotspot) to connect to the internet to see if your wireless card's working. If it doesn't, try to get the proprietary drivers for your wireless card.
Void exists because someone wanted to make a GNU/Linux distro that worked in a way that they like it, much like any other distro.

>dedicated PCI-E Intel VGA cards coming this year
Will Shilltel finally fix the VGA problem with free OS?

netbsd guy wanted a distro around his package manager
it's still more unique than arch/debian clones

Linux is actually a kernel

a trannykernel

You're retarded.

Is this meme?
github.com/redhat-performance/tuned

obsessed

Looks like a convenience tool. From what I see it does tuning based on profiles, rather than you having to do them by hand.

What even is a meme at this point?

But does it actual do any real world performance gains?
All i saw was setting the cpu governor to "powersave" or "performance" in the profiles. Besides the governor is it just placebo or does it really do anything?

tuned-project.org/

It does network, hard disk and CPU tuning based on the workload/profile. They list examples for web servers, database servers etc. which makes sense, because the load generated by a database server serving 100k connections differs much than a dedicated compiler box, a rendering machine or a shitposting station.
Also kinda "logical fallacy" tier, but if it was pure snake oil, red hat wouldn't bother with it.

Should I create an account and send a friend request?

Attached: 1552325524211.png (720x1086, 292K)

no

But seriously, folks.
If you're going to have a coc forced on you,
wouldn't you rather receive it from a tranny?

>forced
?

Anyone tried Alpine?

Attached: 1504221034799.jpg (660x495, 114K)

Is pubg lite on wine not working yet?

Attached: 2448479_4.jpg (740x1345, 170K)

Browsing arch wiki as a totally new dude, in things like mke2fs(8), what does the number refer to? There doesn't seem to be a 7

Manpages section. Instead if man poo you do man 8 poo

So the steps are:

1) put Linux on a USB drive using rufus
2) put USB into new computer
3) turn computer on and follow steps

?

>mke2fs(8)
Section: Maintenance Commands (8)

want a Linux using, chink, gf, lads

Pretty much.

Section Description
1 General commands
2 System calls
3 Library functions, covering in particular the C standard library
4 Special files (usually devices, those found in /dev) and drivers
5 File formats and conventions
6 Games and screensavers
7 Miscellanea
8 System administration commands and daemons

You need a linux distro

>try to build ungoogled-chromium
>everything froze
should I wait more or just give up and install the regular binary?

Attached: 1552328245071.jpg (4000x3000, 1.97M)

I am going with Ubuntu. Is that a distro?

Ok guys, i need serious help.

I went with balls deep version and deleted w10 altogether. I have a desktop with w10 for games and audio/video editing, and i wanted my laptop to be for surfing - so i installed Linux Mint with Cinnamon (as recommended by others, a newbie distro).
Specs are: AMD APU A6-6310 with R4 graphics, 8gb RAM, 1tb HDD. I have open source AMD drivers and i can't install proprietary ones, not a single tutorial works for me

My use case for laptop is: videochatting, watching youtube, surfing/shitposting, listening to music - so i'm not asking much. I've been trying to set it up for 5 months now, but almost every use case has a serious problem.

1. videochatting
>sound is crackling/stuttering and no amount of alsamixer tweaking and pulseaudio killalls fixed it
>my headset microphone isn't working and no amount of alsamixer tweaking and pulseaudio killalls fixed it
2. watching youtube in HD/fullHD
>laggy 10fps, while on windows it played 1080p60 easily
>extreme temps and cooler noise
>battery drains in 15min while on windows it lasted for 1.5h
>these problems persist even with hw acceleration on in mozilla
3. surfing/shitposting
>this shit at least works without problem, if it weren't for this i would be back on windows already
4. listening to music
>doesn't matter if it's VLC, audacious, or yt videos, changing volume or skipping forwards/backwards causes audio to glitch/repeat

Can somebody recommend me linux distro that won't have these problems, or is it universal for every distro? I don't ask for much.

Things that i tried so far:
>pulseaudio and alsamixer tweaking
>turning on hw acceleration in firefox
>installing proprietary AMD drivers because apparently their support for APUs on Linux is shit (but didn't succeed)

Help, i'm considering going back to windows

Yes

Sorry, I guess I should have said the steps in order.
0. Download the distro you want.
1. Make a booteable USB with Rufus.
2. Change your boot priority from BIOS. Pic related, make sure Removable drives (or if you have your usb inserted already the name should appear) its the first one.
3. Save changes and Exit.
4. If everything its correct it will boot from your USB.
5. Install your distro from there.

Attached: boot-options-cd-first-599596b1845b340010bd4a99.png (768x512, 28K)

Can I use Battle.net with Linux? Google is giving me mixed signals

looks like you gonna have a good time! :)

Word of Warcraft?

Yes, but it's a pain in the rear to configure in Wine.

I would start looking at /var/log to see what drivers get loaded by the kernel and X, if theres errors, generally whats bein reported.

chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/ /master/docs/linux_build_instructions.md
>More than 16GB is highly recommended.

Interrupt the process and increase your swap.
Note:
-you can use a swapfile
-you can use more than one swap source, so you can create a 8GB swapfile and use it with your current swap
-yes, it will be fuckdamn slow since you only have 4GB. Consider using a precompiled binary.

this:

What do you mean?

Install NuTyX

You're gonna have a good time. All you need to know.

>using meme os in current year

yeah that why I don't use macos or windows

mactoddlers btfo

Yeah sure, it's good enough for somebody who has never used Linux, my only advice it's:
Remember you can change your DE if you don't like your current one, pick one that fits you the most.

Check Linux Mint too, it works more like Windows.

how the hell do i set up a second monitor? im using arch on a laptop with both an integrated and a discreet gpu and if i plug the second monitor into the port it isn't even recognized.

Is there any way to migrate Equalizer APO or its Peace interface settings (e.g. with a simple script) to some linux system wide sound equalizer?

What's the output of xrandr?

What do you mean "system wide"? Like across PulseAudio and ALSA? For each user?

Not the same sound system, I'm pretty sure it can't work.

You can just configure pulseeffects or something like that. It will however not migrate to Equalizer APO or whatever else either, though.

Damn.... should I just have my computer dual-booted?

No. In fact, the only working multi-band eq is pulse effects and it's so fucking bad, unintuitive and bloated, that I suggest you just not using anything.

Attached: IMG_20190308_120329_987.jpg (750x549, 84K)

Pulseeffects is great. Maybe not fully intuitive because it uses audio terminology like "limiter" and "compressor", but who cares - you can learn it pretty easily.

pulseaudio crossover rack has multi band eq

In short, yes.
In long, that's up to you. You could learn and take the time to configure everything that's Windows-only through Wine to your liking/functionality, stick with games that already have GNU/Linux support, or just stick with Windows. (As a side note, OSRS works flawlessly through Wine without any configuration, if you need to satisfy the need for an MMO.)

I meant for single user but for most or every application.

Hey, I recently installed alpine (the standard ISO) onto my thinkpad x230 and I'm gradually trying to adapt. the most annoying issue I'm facing with it currently is xorg. I used setup-xorg to install the necessary packages and made sure the Intel video driver is installed and followed the Intel video wiki page. after adding exec i3 at the end of my xinitrc. whenever I startx, it starts i3 but only a very small terminal in the top right corner and its not actually i3, just a terminal. I had to work around this by relaunching i3 inside that terminal by typing i3 & to be able to run it in the background. but this is obviously not an ideal solution and I a pretty sure this could be fixed easily probably by a config change or installing a missing package. all help would be appreciated and I apologize for this poorly written question

Maybe you should have a primary Linux machine and a Windows gaming console. Makes a lot of sense to me, but it's up to you.

Although quite a few games do run on Linux anyhow, specific ones may not.

Try to use sddm or lightdm + awesome or something rather than startx. Not sure it will help, but try it to see what happens.

>unironically installing alpine
the memes went too far

Main game I want to play is Heroes of the Storm. Apparently there is this thing called Lutris, which allows ease of gaming on Linux.

Lutris might work well for you if you're just planning on playing HotS. There's also Proton, but I think that's a Steam-only thing.

>whenever I startx, it starts i3 but [...] its not actually i3
my magic ball says you mistyped the filename of your .xinitrc and it's using a default one that starts xterm

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32232

It got a gold ranking on winehq, which usually means it works good with minor graphical glitches or minor performance loss on the machines where the people voting for it tried it. Plain wine probably works, but if you want to use proton / lutris / playonlinux for any games, just use it.

I'm using debian stretch with xfce4
I recently updated from jessie and I noticed that my terminal is no longer transparent. I can get transparency back by enabling display compositing, which makes it so it shows what's underneath the terminal. However, before I updated it just showed the desktop wallpaper even if the terminal was placed over another window. Is there a simple way to get the old behaviour back?

sorry didn't mean to reply to anyone

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
eDP-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 193mm
1920x1080 60.05 + 60.01* 59.97 59.96 59.93 48.04
1680x1050 59.95 59.88
1400x1050 59.98
1600x900 59.99 59.94 59.95 59.82
1280x1024 60.02
1400x900 59.96 59.88
1280x960 60.00
1440x810 60.00 59.97
1368x768 59.88 59.85
1280x800 59.99 59.97 59.81 59.91
1280x720 60.00 59.99 59.86 59.74
1024x768 60.04 60.00
960x720 60.00
928x696 60.05
896x672 60.01
1024x576 59.95 59.96 59.90 59.82
960x600 59.93 60.00
960x540 59.96 59.99 59.63 59.82
800x600 60.00 60.32 56.25
840x525 60.01 59.88
864x486 59.92 59.57
700x525 59.98
800x450 59.95 59.82
640x512 60.02
700x450 59.96 59.88
640x480 60.00 59.94
720x405 59.51 58.99
684x384 59.88 59.85
640x400 59.88 59.98
640x360 59.86 59.83 59.84 59.32
512x384 60.00
512x288 60.00 59.92
480x270 59.63 59.82
400x300 60.32 56.34
432x243 59.92 59.57
320x240 60.05
360x202 59.51 59.13
320x180 59.84 59.32
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Tried to post a screenshot but apparently my ip range is blocked.

Do you have the displays hooked up to separate GPUs?