Is anyone here using Slackware? What is it like?

Is anyone here using Slackware? What is it like?

Attached: slackware.png (2453x2471, 1.19M)

I've used it briefly. It's good, but you have to manually manage packages, dependencies, etc.

Used it for a while. Comfy stuff.

like it's aware of the slack

The mother fucking titties

they should rethink the sets a little

Last I used it, it felt like a Linux distro trapped in the 1990s. I think they've added package management since, but it is still probably the closest to vanilla Linux you can get.

>probably the closest to vanilla Linux you can get.
[as a full distro, and not like.. Linux From Scratch]

you can easily use it as a LFS installer too if you make a list of LFS packages

I'm using it now. Been using it for the best part of 18 months.

There's a steep learning curve but once you're over that it's comfy and stable as fuck. I update once a week or so, there's no point updating any more frequently since Slackbuilds get updated every Saturday.

It's always had package management you simpleton.

time sink, that make even gentoo jealous.

Exactly how is it a timesink?

solve dependencies, and dependencies of dependencies, and dependencies of dependencies of dependencies...
>b..but package mananer.
so install salix.

>It's always had package management you simpleton.
lol pkgtool

>what is sbopkg

It was my go-to back in 2003-2004 when I was using shit hardware that didn't support anything else. It's decent, but the manual package management gets tiresome after a while.

tried installing 14.2 a year ago when i bought my ryzen system, couldn't install it. forgot about it for a while, heard they were working on a version 15, but it looks like its 1 guy(or a very small team), and with how long its taking to just do a new release i think theres no way hes gonna able to keep the repos up to date in any reasonable fasion. idk. i was eager to try it when i did because no systemd and its "l33t", but now im just thinking about how slow and outdated it would be compared to mint.

change my mind, i know mint is a babbys first linux.

>manual dependency resolution
>current year

I tried compiling a program on it using 14.2 and it told me that my GCC and CMake were out of date.

Just use Debian. If you must have the absolute newest drivers than Arch is still a good option.

You hadn't updated the packages then. You should already run slackpkg upgrade-all after installing a new release, just like you would run sudo apt upgrade after installing Ubuntu,

>Arch/Debian
>non systemd

pick one

i tried debian like 5 or 6 years ago and wasn't too impressed with it. lots can change, maybe ill give it another whirl.

not autistic enough to want to fuck with arch. maybe after i get some linux+, lpic, and rhcsa certs and feel more confident.

also, what said.

I see. I've gotten used to installing Debian minimal, Manjaro, and Arch where it connects to the internet to update the packages during installation.
Also, is OpenCV a slackpkg or am I going to have to install that from source manually?

It is what the Gentoo fags actually want to use but can't.

it's on slackbuilds.org, the slack equivalent of the AUR

Be me: Had an interest in learning about computers at a young age. Ditched windows for Red Hat (back then Red Hat was free) Managed to install Slack and configure Xfree86. Whoo hoo, I'm good or so I thought, then it came to installing software, I'm like wtf is a tarball?! Nonetheless I stuck with it, it was a hell of a learning curve..

Systemd is great. Not as good as SMF on illumos/solaris, but as good as it gets for Linux.

It's honestly a stable, easy to use OS. Works right out of the box and can be configured to your liking.

Having multiple internal hard drives and learning about persistent naming was the biggest challenge in computing I've attempted. I'm no Unix pro so I really had to want to learn it.

Using it right now, as soon as I get an nvidia card or alternatively amd pro drivers am switching permanently from w7(3d modeling)

Hi grandpa