/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Jeb! Edition
Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: JEB.jpg (1200x955, 269K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/163580240881
ebay.com./itm/Lenovo-T540p-20BF-S1TV00-15-6-Laptop-2-60GHz-Core-i5-4GB-500GB-HDD-Windows-10/132945031088?hash=item1ef4242fb0:g:UGsAAOSwIbtcRjHQ#viTabs_0
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lolis

who here librebutts

Attached: librebutt.jpg (4032x3024, 1.44M)

reposting question from last thread
Recently bought a T510 off of eBay, tried loading an OS onto it but whenever I try to boot on to a live cd to install, it reboots.
It also reboots whenever I try to plug the AC adapter in, but it charges
The weird thing is that at first, if I unplugged the adapter, I could boot long enough to install arch, but after rebooting I got stuck in the boot loop.
Tried a reinstall with Manjaro, also on live cd, same deal.
I'm afraid I might have fried the mobo because when I first got it I bought a cheap chink adapter that didn't work, replaced the adapter and now it charges but only when it's off.
what do?

X240, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd, 9 cell for 210 euro
Or cheap out and grab a bog standard X230, 4gb ram, 320gb hdd. Throw in an extra 2gb ram I still have around and buy a 20 euro 128gb ssd and be done with it for about 140 euro in total?
What do?

i'd go for the x240 + x250 touchpad and FHD screen

Can all Thinkpads take either the 90W or 60W charger, if it'll physically fit? Do I risk breaking something by feeding the wrong model too much power?

all thinkpads have dogshit audio
shit laptops

no, it'll only draw as much power as needed

X240's didn't come with 9 cells, user

But go for the X230, it's just a better laptop

yes they can
i use a 135w chink ac adapter for all my thinkpads aside from the t440p which is docked all the time

Is there any reason at all to use a 60W charger, then? Does it only exist as a leftover from before Lenovo produced the 90W one?

now there's a good OP! Jeb! 2020!
nice T60
works on my machine
X230
can W520 the 170W charger be modified for use on a 65W-accepted Thinkpad?

>Is there any reason at all to use a 60W charger, then?
They're usually smaller and a bit cheaper than the 90w ones
>Does it only exist as a leftover from before Lenovo produced the 90W one?
It matters on some models, for example a stock iGPU T420 works fine with a 65W adapter but a T420 with the nvidia dGPU and/or quad core processor needs the 90W adapter

>can W520 the 170W charger be modified for use on a 65W-accepted Thinkpad?
No idea about the genuine charger but chink chargers usually come with the typical plug every thinkpad from that era has which lets you do this

I just bought a t42p last night. 2.6 ghz and am gonna add a 240 gig ssd on it. Questions I have are:

What battery should I buy for it that looks natural and doesn't bulge out like your grandma's crotch when she picks you up from daycare. And is affordable?

Should I upgrade the ram? It already has 4 gigs but I'm not sure if I want to add another 4 gig of ram or 8 gigs of ram. Can I add an 8 gig stick if the other slot is a 4gig stick?

Lastly, what os should I put in it? I don't really want to use windows anymore but linux takes maintenance. Which linux os Variant has the least maintenance??

x201 cutest thinkpad!

Attached: 155041442480623.jpg (1740x2320, 3.12M)

>linux takes maintenance
Not really. If you pick a normie distribution like Ubuntu you don't really have to do anything but occasionally update your programs, just like Windows. It even has a graphical interface that'll tell you when you need updates and let you install them from there.
I'm not sure what DE Ubuntu uses now, but I didn't like Unity back when that was what they used so Xubuntu is my go-to now.

The biggest issue with Linux is really program compatibility, and even that is mitigated with WINE.

>t42p
>2.6 ghz
>sata ssd
wut

I really really really don't want to use ubuntu.
I just dont.
Is arch linux or debian any good?

Sorry, t420
Ssd, you know. Like, a hard drive but without moving parts?
>>catch up user :3

Arch is great but might require a bit of maintenance. However if 13 year old me could do it you can probably also do it

How do I maintain it?
Like, once Ive downloaded it onto a flash drive, how do I boot it to an ssd and then how do I maintain It?

Yeah but I'm 12 So checkmate

the t42p is a thing too you dumb nigger and it uses IDE drives not SATA
also for your original questions
6cell
yes
debian/fedora/mint/opensuse/solus or just use ubuntu you faggot

What do you recommend? I mean, what have you used and found to work.

>I really really really don't want to use ubuntu.
>I just dont.
But why? It doesn't seem like you're familiar enough with Linux that you'd dislike anything about it that couldn't be easily changed by a different desktop environment.

You're not going to get nice graphical interfaces and you will have to learn to use the terminal to fix shit. But pretty much everything is fairly well documented online. And there is a slight risk that something breaks when you upgrade stuff since it's bleeding edge rolling release but that has only happened to me once and even then I only had to downgrade the package so YMMV.
The installation might be somewhat tricky since they removed the beginners guide so I would recommend that you do some research before making your choice.

There is nothing wrong with Debian but for some reason I've never gotten it to work properly for me but I think that's just some personal tardism

Any Ryzen notebooks that are business oriented like the thinkpad?

How do I justify spending money on a thinkpad when I'm a hermit who never leaves his house and has a perfectly functional desktop?

Laptop to use in bed

You won't always be in your house user.
They will find you. Best be prepared.

this, my thinkpad is a vn machine

How well would blemishes like this be visible when the screen is turned on? This one has a pretty decent price, but they didn't provide a picture with the screen on.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1200x1600, 215K)

Mine has a few of those but much smaller.
You can see them when the screen is lit and black.

Fug, that'd annoy me for sure. Thanks for the warning, senpai. I'll pass on this one, the price is good but not when I factor in a screen replacement.

>can W520 the 170W charger be modified for use on a 65W-accepted Thinkpad?
yes

Will people assume I'm a degenerate weeb because I have an affordable business notebook?

first and not last

Attached: tpad.jpg (1200x800, 196K)

I have an affordable business notebook with an Illya decal on the lid, works for me.
My country is full of weebs though so ymmv

I'm considering buying a 440s as a daily driver. Is it worth to buy an internal battery if the one I purchase doesn't have one? I was thinking about getting a 6 cell and an internal for infinite battery. Thoughts?

I was on the fence about getting a thonkpad, but now that i’ve seen this image, the choice is easy.

Attached: image.jpg (1024x461, 198K)

Just ordered a new motherboard and CPU for my T520 that will essentially make it a W520. Wish me luck /tpg/.

A485 and A285 use Ryzen

Why are they so much more expensive?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-12-10-56-04-866_com.android.chrome.png (720x1280, 325K)

preying on people's ignorance

NEET and enthusiast demand.

Also people don't know what a "modern" laptop is anymore.

Didn't get an answer in the last thread, so I'll post again.Is GPU failure on the T4x series a forgone conclusion? I really like my T42p, but I'm considering just getting rid of it before it inevitably croaks.

T4x-es had shitty solder jobs done to them when they were made, so yes they are susceptible to failure. If it freezes up on you from moderate use that means it's starting to go, and you'd need a BGA reflow done on the GPU. But IMO though if it's running fine then don't worry about it.

how much to bid on a t60p?

ebay.com/itm/163580240881

Works fine for now. My computing needs are light, so I was considering making it my daily, but I don't want to load it up with important shit if it's going to inevitably fail.

How easy is it to replace a t400 screen? I've had it for a while and recently dropped it and cracked the screen.

ebay.com./itm/Lenovo-T540p-20BF-S1TV00-15-6-Laptop-2-60GHz-Core-i5-4GB-500GB-HDD-Windows-10/132945031088?hash=item1ef4242fb0:g:UGsAAOSwIbtcRjHQ#viTabs_0
is this a good buy? It doesnt say anything about a bios lock

too expensive desu

Whats the deal with bioslock and computertrace?
It seems like they're almost never mentioned in the listing, so if the buyer is experienced am I right to assume these wont be issues?

>considering a distro without sudo
>The year 1999+22-2
Install gentoo man

Is the size really that different between the X and the T lines?

debian is the best OS

Thats actually a T60p, with 1680x1050 resolution.
Not too bad.
I really have no idea but as someone who has spent way too much money on thinkpads, I would say like maybe $75.

>considering a distro without sudo
wtf r u talking about? every debian install ive ever done has had sudo by default, so i am guessing youre talking about arch? in which case, im sure an arch user can also confirm that you are a faget

I put a jap keyboard into my T420, moved that keyboard to my X230t, then put that keyboard into my T410 (which works and is interesting), then put that keyboard into my W530 because that keyboard was weird to type with for some reason.

Attached: IMG_20190311_222527.png (1622x959, 1.68M)

If i'm gonna buy a ,t420, for the first time, what should i check for. Should i rub any kind of tests before buying? If so. Which ones?

inb4 arch is better

Collectors, answer me pls, I need something to move around

12" vs 14" or 15.6" screen you faglord just use a measuring tape

>a walk in the woods

he has good taste in literature

don't
the screen is garbage

What is libreboot and why would I want it?

We don't have those here in my country

Can I use any standard 2.5in SSD as a replacement for the SSD in my T430? I'm new to upgrading laptops and I'm not sure if its the same form factor as with desktops or if Thinkpads have some special form factor or slot that's required.

You don't want it. It's shit. Just buy a 30-series or other coreboot-compatible machine.

t. used libreboot on a T60 and T500 for a year. development has grinded to a halt, the current release is over 2 years old and full of bugs fixed in coreboot upstream ages ago.

>coreboot
Okay neat, what is coreboot? Google says coreboot and libreboot are bios replacements. I only know bios as the annoying thing I have to mash delete to get into when I want to boot from a flash drive or overclock something.

coreboot is a foss bios replacement
one obvious advantage is your computer will start much faster
also, you will no longer have a wifi whitelist, or any whitelist for that matter
then theres the security advantages, and the hackability
the real question is why wouldnt you want all that?

Yeah you can. You might want to get a drive caddy to go along with it but it's not necessary.

a guy I'm talking to has a x220, t420 and t430 for sale: x220 and t420 cost almost the same and t430 costs a bit more
I'm gonna use it for web development (html/css/js/node, go, c#), web browsing and I also want to watch videos at 720p, I'll probably do all that simultaneously
which one should I pick? their CPUs (i5-2520M and i5-3320M) are able to handle multitasking well? this will be my first Thinkpad
I'm inclined to pick either t420 or t430 because of their screen resolution (1600x900), anything I should consider about them like temperatures, battery life etc?

If you don't mind the size I'd say get the T430. Both the T420 and T430 will handle webdev and youtube just fine but the T430 has a much better gpu and you can also mod the classic keyboard into it

Anyone here hackintosh on their x230?

T440 checking in.

I'm not that worried about gpu
I know it's not its only use case but one of the main reasons I'm buying a thinkpad is to run away from games

>you can also mod the classic keyboard into it
oh, I can replace it with t420's keyboard? awesome! I heard it's a great keyboard

thanks user

No problem, I would still recommend the T430 since it has USB3.0 which the T420 only has on the i7 model IIRC (I know this is the case on the X220/X230 but I'm not 100% sure about the T420).
And even with the better gpu it's still not good so you're probably not going to be able to play very much on it.

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
I haven't done it myself but it seems fairly popular.

No prob my dude

Any ThinkPads without dogshit displays? I love my x201, but the TN low res display makes not want to use it.

Do ThinkPads have CIA/NSA/etc. backdoors?

Attached: 1502049818561.jpg (480x640, 111K)

Who else is /comfy/ here?

Attached: IMG_20190312_1046193.jpg (4032x3024, 2.81M)

Yeah, it's called Computrace and Intel CPUs.

I dont like that ox bullshit.

It’s not installed be default in Debian, friendo :^)

Based and not a square like those other peasant anons who can't afford a $30 laptop that actually has your privacy in mind. It's not for gaming, by the way.

Wrong. Pic related is.

Cute. How hard was it to find the nip keyboard? From what I've seen, they've become rather scarce lately. And nice 2hu.

Maaan I'd love to own one of those if they didn't cost as much as they do. Can't you swap the keyboard for any standard T60 (?) keyboard?

Removable on specific models like pic related.

Attached: thinkpad1.jpg (2136x1424, 1.19M)

>Maaan I'd love to own one of those if they didn't cost as much as they do.
$45 with shipping on ebay. keep your eyes open, some chinks have them from time to time
>Can't you swap the keyboard for any standard T60 (?) keyboard?
no need to.

520 and 530 have FHD 270nit 700:1 95% options which are very comparable to IPS besides the viewing angles, but still much better than a typical Thinkpad TN (220nit 300:1 45%)

definitely t420 or t430 due to the resolution

>wrong
posts x201, i do like the nip kb though gonna save up for one

it is if at the beginning you start with the expert install
and not the novice noobie install
it amazes me that people dont use the expert install, it really boggles my mind
i can only imagine what other options youre missing out on for you using noobie install

240x cuter

Attached: 1444940883373.jpg (3264x2448, 1.38M)

hai it's pretty cute, what are the specs? what distro you got on there?

Replacing soldered Intel CPU to a non-Intel? Also hows battery life on x200s and x201.

It's a X200 with a X201 head on it. X201's guarantee LED backlit displays.

But there isn't an open-source BIOS alternative for it!

No, installing a Libre BIOS that doesn't upload firmware to the ME. My X200 lasts me up to 9 hours (or maybe a tiny bit more) on battery doing my normal stuff.

Attached: 2019-03-12--1552399815_650x310_scrot.png (650x310, 14K)

ah okay, have you looked into the affs panels? they go into x200 lids but a pretty close to ips displays they have great colours/ viewing angles

I've bought three of them and they're close to impossible to obtain without imperfections at this point in time. They're old and they break and wear down easily, if they're not already worn down when you get them. Better to stick with shitty colors and bad viewing angles on a display that will last longer than me with its LED backlight and basically indestructible TN panel.

Nice, but I'm sure there are still potential spyware components within Intel which are out of reach of Libre BIOS, e.g EC firmware. Is the 9 hours with a 9 cell? Also what about x201?

Yes, the EC firmware is still proprietary and has as much control over the system as your HDD or SSD's firmware and built-in processor, or your wireless card's proprietary firmware.

9 cell, yes. I can't remember how well the X201 lasted, but it's not worth the upgrade if you can get a X200 for a better price.

>9 hours
wew my x201 only get 3-4 but it is a chink 9 cell