>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>8GB RX 570, RX 580, and GTX 1060 6GB are standard choices
>GTX 1660Ti or RTX 2060 for very high framerates if you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>RTX 2060 is standard
>RTX 2080 for very high framerates if you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is standard
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: serveimage.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/FCcdV6
youtu.be/F92byoMgptU
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137263&
youtu.be/ng8Wa_jwwx8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fBHVQZ
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3407-intel-i5-9600k-cpu-review-vs-2700-2600-8700k
rakuten.com/shop/adata/product/AD4U300038G16-DS10/?sku=AD4U300038G16-DS10
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352067
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854068
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I plan to build a NAS that's relatively low idle power but can act as a file server, vpn and run plex to transcode 1080p. I don't want to spend much money (around £200 ideally before storage). I want the smallest form factor possible with no trade off in performance. What are your thoughts?

nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/FCcdV6
I want to play shooters on high settings at 1080p 60fps plus other games. Is this build good enough?

>that beige uggo noctua
>glass side panel
m8

Unless you want it silent on purpose don't bother with the cooler. Take that money and get a 2600 instead. RX580 will easily do 1080p/60

Athlon 200GE

New build, who dis?

9900k delidded, bare die cooled with a 120mm AIO.

5GHz all-core no AVX offset, rock stable at 1.215v. Temps hit mid 60s under full load, mid 80s under Smallest FFT Prime95 testing.

Cooler can handle 280w sustained without throttling thanks to the size of the case and massive fan forcing air through the entire thing.

Looks like I got a golden chip boys.

Pic related is my 9L case, I can't take photos as good as this.

Attached: kube.png (977x707, 725K)

Stock cooler on the 2200g can cool any temps the chip is capable of creating. Aftermatket cooler is completely unecessary and a waste of money. I have one clocked at 3.9 with a stock cooler, barely ever reaches 60c, let alone go over it.

But your build is fine. Maybe consider a ryzen 5 2600 as the 2200g wont last you long.

The 2200g is a good stop gap is youre waiting for ryzen 3rd gen

>No AMD shill in the OP

Maybe this thread won't devolve into shit flinging?

what? No. Where the fuck did you come up with that? The point is the VRM can handle a Ryzen 8 core at full tilt without throttling. This isn't Intel. Ryzen is actually power-efficient.

Mortar is one of the more expensive boards for z390 too, iirc. Nbd tho

Smaller than mini-itx compatible Ryzen 2400G and 2X16GB? To fit into an old 2001 Xbox shell
Also need a small as fuck PSU for it

Thanks. Is Athlon sensitive to ram speeds?

Yes, like any AMD CPU, especially with an integrated graphics

Corsair SF450 or SF600 for PSU, depending on wattage needs.

MSI B450I Gaming Plus, AC version would be best.

3200c16 2x8GB RAM kit. Corsair Vengance is good.

And a Crucial 1TB m.2 SSD because its cheap and saves even more space.

EVGA also make good small form factor PSUs

yes, although it only officially supports 2666 mhz iirc.
AMD APU's like the Athlon 200GE, Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G are both bandwidth starved and rely heavily on AMD's Infinity Fabric, which itself relies on the bus speed of installed ram.
So AMD chips benefit MASSIVELY from fast ram in a way we have never seen on Intel chips.

Different user but is 3000mhz ram good for the 2200g?

Should I go with 2070 for 1440 or is 2060 enough? I’m drowning in memes, I just want the truth.

Dunno, the shit flinging seems to come from those who think a game engine advances enough to utilise 8cores natively must be some kind of strange AMD specific technology

So you built it?

Yes.

>Not even one Intel low tier chip or the 9900K
>No AMD shill
Ok

yes, just make sure the CAS latency is 15 or lower.

Depends on the FPS and graphics settings you want to run, but from what I've seen the performance advantage of the 2070 isn't enough over the 2060 to justify the price difference. Kinda like the old 1080 vs 1070ti, or Vega 64 vs 56.

How are your temps? One 120mm fan AIO seems really unlikely, especially 5 Ghz. Do you use Der8auers delid die kit?

Show me an Intel chip below $300 worth buying.

>no i5 on OP
almost great OP at last, but fucked up there.

Thanks bro, as long I can find a PSU that can fit into a Xbox is all I need. I don't mind to remove the metal casing and protect it differently

>not even one bad recommendation
I fail to see the problem?

What can I stuff in my PCIe port for aesthetics that isn't a wifi card.

Intel 750 Series PCIE SSD
Buy 2, RAID-0 and enjoy speed

For aesthetics? I dunno. What do you have?

Everyone told me the same thing, that my temps should be impossible.

I'm using a Noctua NFF12 3000 iPPC fan, it runs at ~60% speed at 60C and 100% at 80C.

Yeah, using der8auers delid die kit and also his bare die frame. Here's a pic of the die before I put the cooler on.

I can do 5.3GHz stable at 1.36v, but voltage jumps up to 1.392v under AVX loads and it hits mid 80s which I do not trust at that close to 1.4v, so I'll prolly stick to 5GHz.

I just got lucky with being able to do 5GHz at 1.215v, which gives me a SHIT TON of thermal headroom.

Attached: deliddis.png (953x1269, 1.87M)

Sweet thanks user.

That, and one of those direct die waterblocks. Seems easily acheiveable with good binning.

M.2 raid card. Then install 4 half TB M.2s for raid 0

u won the silicon lottery m8

Expensive tho... But useful

Mein brudah! I have a Mac Pro 2,1 and wonder what to do with the 3 extra PCIE ports, 12 half TB raid-0 here I come

From my googling the record for 5GHz stable is 1.18v, so I am pretty damn close to that. I think average is like 1.3v?, which still isn't bad but would be significantly toastier.

Feels nice to win something for once in my life.

Envious. Good to see you make the most of it too.
Maybe if you jump into a time machine and go back 12 months to when the 8400 was still a good buy. These days there's not really any place for any i5.

>120mm AIO
>mid 60s
doubt.jpg

>9400f
>9600k
>not a good buy
they are both better than ryzen

only if you're drinking kool-aid at Intel shareholder meetings.

Lucky, me it is the reverse. If I dare to touch anything out of my Xeon programs like Firefox won't launch

>Thinking about buying a new computer
>Get curious and look up when I built this one
>Ordered the parts in December of 2013

Is that good? Average? I feel like it's been through a lot with me. I replaced the graphics card in '15 and the PSU which had been from a previous build in '16.

Honestly it's been kind of a hunk of shit sometimes, mostly owing to my own incompetence putting it together. I was thinking I'd just pay the extra for the new one to be pre-built.

Attached: 1523978612124.jpg (300x300, 20K)

Not if you count the bang-per-buck
Ryzen is a smarter choice

I'll take a video for you senpai. This voltage is fucking magical.

Also note that mid 60s is during a gaming session in VR, with streaming and recording.

I get low 80s at max stress loads, AVX smallest FFT Prime95.

>9400f : $170
>2600 : $165
wew

Now that you got your first fuckups out of the way, any future build is only going to be easier and better. Would be a waste to scare yourself away and revert to prebuilts at this point. It's like riding a bicycle without training wheels for the first time and then mounting them back on.

>b-b-but mah average FPS!
youtu.be/F92byoMgptU
Not even tech Jesus recommends them as a gaming CPU

muh cherrypicking

2600 is $155, 2600X is $169. Nice try though.

Skip to the summary.

I have a weird thing going on.

I test a fuckload of games that push my GPU hard (an RX570), I test furmark, and most of them reach the target temperature fine, setting the fans to a level that is not audible.

But then there's this fucker, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and it decides that it's a perfectly good idea to try to keep the card as low temperature as possible while ramping up the fans to the point they're almost maxed out. So it's not reaching target temperature at all and instead it's doing that bullshit. It thinks target temperature is like 10-15c lower than normal. At 3100RPM not only it's unbearable, it almost sounds like the fucking thing is going to explode so I'm not fucking with it.

Anyways, any reasons why it would do this or fixes? Why would it happen with one specific game when way newer or more demanding titles are not doing this shit?

I only picked the Mortar because it's the same mid range board for both. I have one. I think they're reasonably priced for what you get.

That only really applies if I'd been riding regularly though. Not riding once and then having to keep fixing the bike because of the multitude of miniature ways in which I crashed.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137263&

Vega 56 at $260 w/ 3 games shitty blower model gogogo before it's gone.

youtu.be/ng8Wa_jwwx8
Show me where the i5 gets much worse 1%/0.1%
wew 5 dollars cheaper!
>2600x is $169
nice lie

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fBHVQZ
already have 1tb ssd + 32gb usb to plonk in there
>want to be as lean as possible in regards to money, efficient in terms of noise/heat dissipation and not too big, i'm willing to spend around £1000 if its comfy asf
>immediate use: 2D visuals (mainly editing scanned in drawings), photography, music production & sound design (sample based, heavy use of plugins), shitposting
>future use: 3D visuals, animation, GIS
will eventually upgrade from 2400g to another AM4 and a GPU but no budget for those as of yet
for context currently using a dell inspiron n5050 with xubuntu
: _) thanks
enjoy this sweet puffer, its on me

Attached: GFPufferYellow.jpg (600x409, 22K)

Just man up and buy the parts. Save some cash and get exactly what you want

a pointless aside: im 24 and only just (1 month) taught myself how to ride a bike, its liberating desu
i used to dream of riding a bike quite frequently but was always so embaressed, now im over it and making myself ride every day and legit it feels the same as it did in those dreams

Attached: generation.jpg (909x976, 124K)

I’m building a pc and my last computer is bricked. What’s the cheapest way to get windows ten without another computer?

peak of 88C with a peak of 295W, after 10 minutes sustained testing.

Attached: p95.png (1657x1050, 295K)

Honestly wow. I love riding my bike. Can't imagine my childhood without riding.

>Show me where the i5 gets much worse 1%/0.1%
The answer is going to be FC5. It gets posted all the time in these threads
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3407-intel-i5-9600k-cpu-review-vs-2700-2600-8700k

Cheap, V56 might actually be worth it at that price, even with a blower. An attempt must be made to undervolt or that's going to be a jet engine though

Possibly application profile in Radeon Settings

At this point, the R5 and i5 are about equal in new games, but the R5 has all the extra multithreaded perf combined with the fact that new consoles will have Ryzen. The only reason you'd get an i5 is if you wanted to have an upgrade path to the 9900K eventually, which is a pretty small number of people. Most people will be graphics card limited with either CPU

psst
for those looking for ram

rakuten.com/shop/adata/product/AD4U300038G16-DS10/?sku=AD4U300038G16-DS10

Is there around a monitor guide?

Its $169 in the microcenter close to me.

I've got a 1070 and I want to upgrade to a better GPU without spending too much money but getting a 2070 feels like a waste of 500€.
Should I spend a bit more money and get an RTX 2080, or would it be better to wait for 7nm Vega?
I somehow have a feeling that it won't be much cheaper than current-gen Turing GPUs.
I'm trying to be optimistic but something e

Attached: 1070ftw.jpg (500x500, 52K)

The Acer XV272U for under $500, or LG - 34GK950F-B if you have money to burn.
If you're on a tight budget, then what ever Pixio or Viotek meets your requirements

So I have a 2060, and I want to buy a ryzen 2600x. Should I buy a heatsink if I dont plan on overclocking?

>Should I buy a heatsink if I dont plan on overclocking?
nope, unless you have super sensitive ears the stock cooler is more than fine

First of all, what screen are you running/aiming for? Secondly, IMO the value of the 2070 just isn't there. It's priced between a 2060 and a 2080, but with performance levels closer to a 2060 than a 2080 (from what I've seen). I wouldn't bother with Radeon 7 as they don't really offer anything over a 2080 for the money, unless they sharpen their pencil on prices.
I'd probably just stick with the 1070 unless it's failing to meet a specific requirement.

thank you!

>I'm trying to be optimistic but something e

Attached: candlejack.jpg (259x194, 6K)

Did you scrape the STIM off or use rockitcool's quicksilver+polish?

>First of all, what screen are you running/aiming for?
1440p with Adaptive Sync.
My 1070 is already struggling a bit with that.
>unless it's failing to meet a specific requirement.
It's really fine but I'd like to sell it now for around 300€ and get a 2080 rather that sell it half a year later for a much lower price when Vega 2 releases.
Whaddya think?

Rockitcool's. No fucking way I was gonna take a razor to it.

Then you get hit by a car

>I'm trying to be optimistic but something e
but something tells me that VEGA 2 won't be that great.

What liquid metal did you use?

I get its fairly new, but what's the lowest price youv've seen the 2060 at?

I swear by Conductonaut, I use it on every device I own.

Both my laptops, my desktop NUC, and the 9900k machine.

Why does op recommend Gigabyte Aorus when Giganiggers lie about their VRM capacity and PCIe speeds?

I5 8400, i3 8100, for gaming only ofcourse

350 lol

Attached: 1530048125420.png (1920x1080, 3.24M)

shit happens maybe you'll have an aneurysm so what

>My 1070 is already struggling a bit with that
Fair enough.
>when Vega 2 releases
Unless I'm missing something, that's Radeon 7, and it's already here. Also, it's simply not worthwhile against a 2080, especially now NVIDIA supports Freesync.
If you have the money for a 2080, then selling your 1070 while it's worth something isn't a bad idea, and a much more worthwhile upgrade over a 1070 IMO.

should I just get it now for my first pc build then?

>vega 2
VII is the last vega product

Yes

Attached: relativeperformancegames19201080_1.png (500x1490, 96K)

It's hilarious how that video proves a number of games use over 6Gb, yet you keep claiming it doesn't by citing that video.

I can't tell if you're actually that retarded, or if you're actually trying to gaslight people.

A 14nm Athlon and there are mATX NAS cases which'll hold like 8-12 3.5" drives. The only problem is it's hard to find those cases for cheap... If you search NAS cases you get overpriced shit.

It's really the TIM that's the limitation on 2200G/2400G OCs.

No Intel chip is worth buying. There are multiple new security flaws every month. Serious ones every few months. The serious ones never affect AMD as it's more secure by design.

Recommending Intel CPUs is recommending someone build a new botnet.

Radeon VII is already out. The shitty fans make it a disappointment.

I'd imagine it's not 100% stable, it's just stable with what you've done with it. But that's fine really.

>posting averages to hide the fact that it gets maxed out with only a 1070 in some games
2600 is a far more consistent performer that doesn't let you down like poorfag intel 6threadlet CPUs.

>averages
xD

What's a good 1660 Ti to buy? I was just going to go with EVGA since their CS is pretty good.

get a used 1070, or a new vega 56. better deals, similar performance.

Mind is set on the 1660 Ti for the improved NVENC encoder. The savings isn't enough for me to bother with used anyway.

Mai ventus, zotac looks aight

Which of these cases should I get?

Fractal Design Focus G
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352067

Planteks Eclipse P300
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854068