How soon before 1TB of RAM is common in PCs?

How soon before 1TB of RAM is common in PCs?

Attached: Dall_Sheep_Ram.jpg (1400x933, 166K)

Why would you need a whole terabyte of ram user

Attached: Thinking Pepe.png (741x568, 29K)

10 years ...

>calculating six gorillion digits of pi
>2.5 chrome tabs
>ram drives
>whatever the hell i want

to run more botnets of course

consumer PCs won't be a thing by the time consumers need 1TB of RAM

then what the hell will they need 1tb ram for?

This is actually somewhat possible using m.2 NVME drives as pagefile. Wouldn't be as fast especially random 4KB read/write though.

Hmm. Well 10 years ago 8GB of RAM was on the upper end of what was common for consumer machines, nowadays it looks like 32GB is on the upper end for what's common in consumer machines. That's an increase in RAM of 4X over 10 years. Extrapolating that out we'll see 128GB of RAM in 2029, 512GB RAM in 2039 and 1TB of RAM in the early 2040's.

Won't ever happen because everything will run in the cloud

To hold all the extra bloat of future programs.

Currently 32GB is the new norm. Less than 1% of Jow Forums's user base could ever utilize 64GB. Not to mention the technology required to properly index and flush 1TB of ram almost doesn't currently exist.

/thread

Huh?

One of my professors was just saying today that facebook has machines in their datacenters with 1 TB of ram, so they are already here just not for consumer devices. I bet in a few years we will start to see consumer machines with ridiculous amounts of RAM, heck even 64 GB isn't outrageous these days for high end consumer machines.

I believe that increase is exponential, so in 2029 1TB of ram would be common

8gb is still most common, maybe not on g but it is. I am saying 2060,if ever

RAM mass storage drives when?

Imagine not knowing how ram works lmao

Already a thing with m.2 raid. Though it would just be virtual RAM.

You can just power it with a built-in battery.

most consumers had a gigabyte or maybe two back in 2009. Almost no one had 8 and 64 bit wasn't even an actual thing until Windows 7 came along.

On what basis do you believe that?
Don't you realize moore's law is dying?

to open 10 firefox tabs at a time

to open a modern browser

I had 4 gigs back then on my laptop. Anymore was pointless as I was still using 32 bit.

M.2 can only go up to 4GB/s. DDR4 can go up to 25GB/s

I hope never. Programs and shit is bloated enough as it is. Make shit more streamlined and "just works" instead of " oh lets add this little thing that 95% of the consumer base will never use"

to load the 15GB of javascript libraries needed to display a simple hello world application

yes exponential to the 2nd power, repeat doublings

Take MS Word. Aside from bloat and offloading more of it to the cloud what has really changed? Not a damn thing. You still open it up and type a document the same now as you did in 1997. Just gotta wade through more bullshit now than you did then.

You mean the base is two. The exponent isn't a constant. That would be a polynomial then.

>Currently 32GB is the new norm

it isn't.

>tfw you fell for the 1 TiB of RAM meme

Attached: 1471979335150.jpg (633x758, 38K)

if you keep using chrome not much far away

So I can open more than 2 tabs of Chrome.