Networking General

Why don't we have a Networking general? I have recently installed Cisco routers in my office and these are fucking great. Everything is there in the config. You can do whatever the fuck you want. Are there any other companies that make routers with CLI like Cisco?

Attached: file.png (466x373, 53K)

bump

Networking is usually covered in /hsg/. Not enough interest for it to have it's own general.

No one cares.

How can I set a domain name for a host and then set it as the nameserver for all subdomains?

Op I think you're a masochist. I hate the ancient cisco cli. Seriously even their utm gui sucks

Juniper, but they don't have the same market share.

It's straight forward. You can only know after getting fucked by GUI-based routers.

the cli and the Cisco IOS in general is unix based, if you spend enough time in front of the terminal it starts to make sense

agreed for the gui, big clusterfuck

It's a mess. You cannot tell at a glance what's going on. It's not context sensitive. Many other vendors have parity between their cli and gui

I have a ccna so I'm not talking out of my ass

And I have been managing them for three years now. It's straight forward if you know what you look for.
>inb4 you are one of those guys that do "sh run" each time they make a change

I have a ccna I can work it, it just sticks and is sick in the past. Its like a coding ide that decided to never have colour coding or the ability to close down chunks of text by clicking on brackets.

Jesus if it takes years to get familiar with them then maybe just maybe they suck

Not years. I got the hang of it in a week.

I understand, I have my certs too.

Cisco is one of the top networking companies and they say that it's not about their hardware but their software. It is not pretty but it's not meant to be.

It gets the work done and that's that.

CCNA holder here. The cli is old but still gets the job done. There are nicer cli's out there like RouterOS's cli but even if IOS is stuck in the past it still works and the software is still pretty darn stable. I think it's one of the things that just don't need to change unless the way networking works does.

If only you could run an open source operating system on them.

All enterprise brands do.

What kind of router should I get at home - thinking about ditching the one my ISP provides but idk what to get. Should I get an ASA 5500 or whatever? Should I go for a Juniper box? Any thoughts?

Attached: 1552430211742.jpg (640x800, 114K)

Why would you get the ASA for home?

Depends on who made the router.
#ip domain-name foo.bar
#ip name-server A.B.C.D
I have never even tried serving up names on IOS before.

Mostly so I can dick off with setting up a VPN (so I can put it on my resume). That's why I was asking though, I'm not sure if I am missing out on much otherwise by having the generic router.

>Cisco
>not using vyos

My first thought is that an ASA 5500 isn't a router and you'd fare better with a 2921.

I meant set it with the domain registrar. Apparently I need to use glue records. Can I use glue records with a dynamic IP address?

I want a 10G network but I'm too poor for a switch. Can I do 10G on a bridge instead?

Attached: 71ps0Vo-eRL._SL1300_.jpg (1300x1300, 215K)