Is Visual Studio Code the best way to learn Python on Fedora or I should try a different IDE?

Is Visual Studio Code the best way to learn Python on Fedora or I should try a different IDE?

Attached: BBB07FEF-AB54-4442-9255-5C6CBBB87916.png (224x225, 2K)

You don't learn python by using a specific IDE

sure but it helps to have some feedback when things don't work

right now just focus on learning the language, then once you actually get good you can worry about the editor

ok where do I start then, do I get a book, do online tutorials?

Not an IDE but yes it's a great editor. If you're learning the editor is not so important right now.

The interpreter gives you feedback when things don’t work.

Find sentdex channel on YouTube, follow one of his python tutorials. It's gonna be a steep learning curve, but you will manage. This is how I started to learn python.
As IDE you can start with notepad++, which is free. I recently switched to Sublime because it has a decent file tree browser, which notepad++ unfortunately doesn't have

Use PyCharm unless you run a toaster. Has all the features you'll ever need, including a good debugger. Ignore people who tell you to use a text editor. And whatever you do, don't get used to jupyter notebooks, whenever you try to do anything serious with it, it completely shits itself.
Having said that, the choice of the IDE isn't really the most important thing.
Whenever you search anything about Python, make sure to use extreme skepticism if an answer contains the word "pythonic", >50% of the time it's a sign of a cargo cultist moron. Also use caution whenever someone mentions "duck typing".

cool thanks, I will check him out

get learning python the hard way book . all you need is notepad++/atom and the windows power shell.

If you want a text editor that spies on you, yes.

Jupyter notebooks are actually great when you do data processing and visualization dude

They're good for visualization, but they don't work at all for data processing. Unless your data processing takes a few seconds, I guess. Any kind of data processing I tried (on multiple different machines) ended up having like 50% chance of never finishing (even though it worked properly when running python scripts, and even in ipython; the processing usually took an hour or so).
And also they work poorly with git.

Yes. Make sure you're learning Python 3, avoid 3.7 and install 3.6 because a lot of libraries still haven't updated to the newest version. You'll want to install some things like pylint, pep8 formatter (idr the name) and whatever else VSC complains about not existing in the path in order to get linting working. Once you do, it's great.

I use Visual Studio on Fedora daily and agree with this user. Use vim and your terminal.
But yeah, if you want advice on a Python IDE, C++ is pretty good. Pycharm Community is better though and also FOSS.

Which libraries give you problems?

tensorflow

This motherfucker has never heard of VS Codium.

>Share data with law enforcement and third party companies if we have good faith doing so (i.e. constantly)

Fyi there was an issue on their github that showed that as soon as you enable their extension gallery you enable all of the data sharing. This was confirmed by Microsoft (this applies also to vscodium)

Whoever uses vsc is beyond retarded. Vim and emacs also have language server support i.e. the same intellisense. The only reason to use anything over vim/emacs at this point is because you are a monkey inbred with negative iq.

Best to install that on a docker image/conda environment

VS Code works perfectly and it does work as a mini IDE with its debugger & git features

hahahahahahahhahahaha never change Jow Forums

pycharm

Ed is the standard editor

Interedasting.. Never ran into that problem. I usually use pandas data frames to do some crunching (sometimes tables with >200.000 rows) and it just werks, even if the processing takes up to 15 minutes.

I do all in memory. But then again, maybe this is not the amount of data you are thinking about.

When you're learning a new programming language, you should use a minimal text editor, so you don't become overly reliant on fancy IDE features to do things for you.

Emacs

I use jupyter notebook

[spoiler]fight me[/spoiler]

Man I'm glad my dad forced me to use Emacs, imagine needing a "file tree".

based idiot

VS Code is very nice. Being available cross platform is a strong point.

vscode is a good editor.
But don't focus too much on the options it has and learn the language first
automatetheboringstuff.com is a good start

So tell me, in what way is a program debugging, and writing parts of your code good for the learning process.