Is it possible to learn enough of Python in 6-8 months to apply for jobs then make good money?

Is it possible to learn enough of Python in 6-8 months to apply for jobs then make good money?

I'm tired of being poor and this is probably the fastest way out of poverty

Attached: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg (1000x438, 266K)

if you become a good programmer then yes.

No

Yes, also with other languages. The market is so flooded with dipshits that you just gotta sell yourself, then fake it till you make it.

Attached: 7b76e06eaa527909961f33113e6c76299085d77d2661607b290981e72d45419b.png (374x535, 100K)

>the market is flooded with dipshits
>therefore, you must become a dipshit yourself
Really cooking the noddles here

From what I learned it takes a long time to master a language anyway so it's best to know how they function on a basic level and basically ask google and master the language as you go. That could be bad advice so....
Python was recommended as the language to learn with the easiest learning curve, do you think that's true?

And yes, I plan to fake it till I make it. That cured my depression.

You're noodles are al dente already
>stay a dipshit, blend in
>get knowledge, jump ship to a proper company
If you're starting from zero the options are pretty good.

>Is it possible to learn enough of Python in 6-8 months to apply for jobs then make good money?
if you think its possible to land a job, let alone make a career knowing just ONE language, you're way further off than 6-8 months from doing anything remotely close to programming for money

I like your plan user, thanks for the motivation.
Then can I learn python and just make money as a freelancer?

I do plan on picking up more languages as I do this.

You could definitely get an internship, where you're probably looking at anywhere over 15 usd an hour and under 30 (though that heavily depends on where you live). But unless you have a crap ton of free time on your hands, are thoroughly motivated, and intelligent enough, getting a respectable full time job in that time is a stretch. Too many new CS grads, bootcamp kiddies and other people like you with a tech background.

If you fill us in on your past job/school experience and any tech skills you already have it'd be easier to judge.

I'm 30, dropped out of college at 22, been working in construction but it's been really inconsistent.

I've heard so much about the ability to work from home or being a freelancer. People have spoken both about the competition from 3rd world countries, recent grads, bootcamp kiddies AND at the same time I hear there is a lot of demand for programmers. It's really conflicting seeing people here struggle for interviews but companies asking more people to start programming.

how long did it take you to be a programmer?

As anyone here will tell you, there is only a shortage of good programmers. There is no shortage of pajeets and wypipo who think udemy will make them a software engineer.

You can be a developer without a degree, .NET etc. are easy if you take an internship but don't expect that godlike salary for being a code monkey. You basically need to be a god and prove yourself or have at least a bach in software or a similar field. Freelancing is a meme and so is working from home. Get a real job/internship and actually learn. You won't make that big number while being a web dev or something. There's no shortage of programmers, there is a shortage of smart, skilled ones. A degree guarantees you around 60k/yr even if you suck, but if you're good you can make great money.

And thus begins the 'grind' and depression a lot of CS grads etc. go through. It's a lot harder and a lot less well-designed than you would imagine. Anyone who tries to scare you off is only doing it to tell you, if you are mediocre you can get trampled, if you're good here's your 100k/yr job with remote work days and 30 day PTO

the problem with python is that it's the official language of normies/hipsters/stacey/trannies/zoomers and literally every other fag that jumped on "le coding will make me rich" bandwagon python is so stupidly easy to learn and that's why it's taught in colleges nowadays, in place of good languages like c and java like in the past.

but my friend told me there's 100000 python jobs!!!

python is a fucking disgusting language it makes me sick just looking at it

6-8 months yes but only if you fully apply yourself.

also you need to study CS subjects too: algorithms, data structures, database, engineering concepts

In the USA there are generally no internships. For the ones that do exist they require you to be a current student and they are unpaid (although you probably will get a stipend for travel and lodging)

This guy is pretty much on it. I would disagree on only two points: working from home is only a meme when you're starting. Junior work from home developers are a joke, but if you've proven yourself, no one gives a fuck where you work from. Until then, either youll go to an office, or you'll be mediocre.

Second, who cares what field you go into, you're most likely to be good at what you like. Don't let people here tell you there isn't money in X field (be it Web dev, or embedded, or AI, or whatever other meme you can think of), if you hate the field, regardless of the average salary, you'll get trampled. It's MUCH better to enjoy what you're doing and be one of the best in your field than to pick a certain field because Jow Forums told you to. There are Javascript developers that make 2X the average C developer salary, and vice versa. Do what you can see yourself doing, enjoying and excelling at for the next 10 years, or don't enter this rat race at all.

No, that is entirely false. I, and many, many developers I know have had internships, most all of which paid at least 5 dollars over the local minimum wage. In bigger cities, some companies average over 20usd an hour. And they're not only for students or grads.

If you already know a language sure.
If you are just starting out, I don't think so. Plan 2 years if you don't half-ass it.

If you already know how to program in a few different languages, it is pretty much possible to pick up any new language in a couple of weeks (as long as the overall concepts are similar [eg: learning LISP will take for fucking ever because it's backwards ass and fucking weird])

Fucking shit that sounds depressing as hell but I understand you're being realistic and just warning me not to see this through rose-tinted glasses which I appreciate.

At the same time if I don't learn programming I don't know what else to do. I suck at talking to people so being good at sales is not an option, so the only option left for me to do is either become a good programmer no matter how long it takes OR become a good programmer because I cannot stand living in the shit conditions I am right now (even though I'm in the U.S.)
My approach would be to start with python then move on to learning stuff like javascript.

>Freelancing is a meme and so is working from home.
Don't listen to this fool. I have been a freelancer my entire career, and I work from home all the time. Sure, it took some effort to get here, but it's not impossible.

How does one find an internship if you're self-taught?

> Is it possible
Sure. You could also be an astronaut in 6-8 months if some nation takes you for their space program.

The question is WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY? There are enough university graduates and otherwise on paper better people.

>this is probably the fastest way out of poverty
Ya, good luck with that.

Learning a language's syntax and developing a comprehensive understanding of software development are two completely different things. It doesn't matter what the latest fad is you have to put the time in to be a competent professional.
Freelancing is a meme. People here struggle because they are dumb. The easiest way is to just do the normal way which is 4 year cs degree from cheap but respectable school, get internships, leverage those for full time. Then u can work from home.
This guy totally gets it. The pay isnt that great if u dont find it fun already. I mean u actually do work for 120k while you could be making a lot more in sales or 80k doing nothing as a project manager

Go to college and the professors have connections and will set u up...
Software dev internship is between 10 and 30 usd an hour
Freelancing online is a joke

python is basically the easiest language around, yes
i can be half asleep fucking around in idle figuring out program logic, whereas in c or java i'd be writing out stuff by hand and have documentation on hand before i even started typing (i can do the same in irb but i find python is easier to translate to c and java than ruby)
managers like having butts in chairs even if they cant supervise you (my current manager is in seattle, im in dallas), dont expect to be allowed to work from home until your manager decides you've proven yourself

learn PHP if you want quick cheap money.

Since we have a couple of people here who know their stuff do you guys think becoming a "bug bounty hunter" is worth it for money? Do you need to master a programming language before doing it? How competitive is it?

>Then can I learn python and just make money as a freelancer?

You'd never want to start as a freelancer. It grants you a huge degree of freedom but between stingy fucks who don't pay money they're contractually obligated to pay, and your own lack of skills, it's not something to take for a spin without professional experience.

Python's about as basic a language as you can get. The short answer is, 'yes.' There's a ton of entry level, front end work that can be done by someone who's put a month into a programming language.

The longer answer is that yes, it is possible, but you have to actually want it. There's a stunning lack of job security in coding if you have no ambition and just want some normie bucks doing the same coding any other trained monkey could perform. If you don't have the hustle to learn everything you can in any professional environment, and then jump to the next job as soon as you've put in your time (always try to stick to a company for at least a year) if you're no longer learning, don't bother.

No.
You'll probably be looking for bugs in closed-source software, so knowing a specific language likely will not help.
Actually not a bad idea, PHP is still extremely common. PHP is a bit unintuitive at times, but if you know it well, you have a lot of job opportunities, especially in higher ed.

Freelance work is just a way to make a living here and there, it ain't that sustainable unless you do it for many many many years. Not only that but reverse engineering and exploits is up there with some of the hardest things you can do with a computer and requires a significant portion of you life to even learn. If you want a code monkey job that has no security but pays mediocre, get a web dev job. If you want job security and good pay as well as have some time to dedicate to learning shit, learn actual software and maybe embedded systems development. If you're really passionate and have a lot of time, learn reverse engineering and make a naked guest mod for roller coaster tycoon. The latter seems the most rewarding to me.

>make a naked guest mod for roller coaster tycoon. The latter seems the most rewarding to me.
I've been wanting to get into reverse engineering for some time, any good resources for it?
I'd love to reverse SimCity 4 but that's a pipe dream, I'd probably do solitaire or something first.

I just want to thank everyone who has posted so far. It might not mean like much but I greatly appreciate this new info. I started wanting to be a freelancer but now I know I need to earn a job before even thinking of working from home. My biggest fear was learning a good chunk of a language then months later realizing no one is interested in hiring me.

>If you want a code monkey job that has no security but pays mediocre, get a web dev job
This is probably my best option to start out with since I really need decent money. I'll focus on getting a web dev job first but in my free time acquire what I need to do this:
>If you want job security and good pay as well as have some time to dedicate to learning shit, learn actual software and maybe embedded systems development

Thanks for guiding me man.

Python is easy to learn, but you're never going to get to do anything really exciting with python alone. It's gonna be a paycheck and not a whole lot else.

Opensecuritytraining has a bunch of stuff on hacking and system security. More interestingly it has a road map for "software exploitation", I'd recommend starting there. By the bye, their resources assume you already know how to program in C, but if you don't, no worries. Check out the Ashley mills (I believe that was his name) YouTube series on C. They're very thorough and well put together.

College is the easy answer, even just taking a college course at a community college could get you access to job fairs, connections and the like.

If that's not an option, then the only way is to not care about rejection. Make a list of all the local tech companies, send them your resume and a letter explaining why you'd be a good intern. Perhaps even send in hand written letters to your top 3 choices, that can go a lot further in 2019 than you'd think. Lean heavily on being directly prepared for that specific job. You're much more likely to have more success off the "college" path, for instance, most college kids can do basic Java app development, but not many have ruby on rails experience (thats not a suggestion, just an example). If you have a skill set that's catered towards a specific industry, you'll have better luck. But be warned, that does NOT mean you need to learn the latest meme framework, any senior engineer worth working under will pick someone with solid programming foundations and skills in your particular language of choice over an ability to hack together a project in the biggest current fads.

Yeah but you won’t learn how to problem solve with code and you’ll be fired.

If you're completely new to programming it might take up to a year to understand the basics. If you're a fast learner or spend more time attempting to learn you might get there in 6-8 months. You'll more than likely start w/ an entry level position, obviously, but if you stick with it, in 2-4 years, you should eventually make decent money.

I learned enough python in 2 weeks just fucking around in my spare time to build a bot that scammed idiots out of 180b isk in eve online. To answer your question, no, python is pretty much useless outside of scripting dumb shit.

False.

Web dev pays better than embedded (in the US), this is a simple fact that glassdoor and similar sites will confirm.

This is good advice.

Here's my advice: go to freecodecamp.org. Do the entire curriculum. I mean the entire fucking thing. It will teach you HTML, CSS, and a ton of Javascript. It will be difficult, and you will fail many times trying to figure out the answers to the algorithms questions. Don't look up the answers. Once you have finished the curriculum, develop some of your own personal projects, like a personal website, an API bot, a browser game, SPA etc and put it all on github. Then you can start applying to software jobs. At this point you should know enough programming to be a junior frontend developer. You should go to leetcode.com and start practicing a ton. Eventually after about a thousand applications and probably 50-100 phone interviews you will get an onsite interview and then hopefully land a junior position somewhere.

Also, from my experience, there are more jobs out there for devs who know HTML/CSS/JS or ReactJS than for python or any other language really. Python is easy to learn but it's mostly used in data science (analysis, regression, machine learning, etc) and you will probably need a degree in something related like statistics to be hired. The job market for programming will grow dramatically in the future, I have absolutely not doubt about that. Computers will absolutely revolutionize the planet and it's just barely begun.

Just one last think for OP. Programming is hard, it's competitive, but what you have is what many others, including me, had that made us power through.

Having nothing to lose is huge. Programming can be like any other technical task, frustrating as hell, rewarding, and tedious. The worst part of the stress and pressure of being told to learn learn learn. It can't happen overnight. For me, just to think on basics of algorithms and learn c#(my first language) took me 4 months and OOP can take years to fully, truly understand. I'm still amateur, I work in a technical field but just dabble in software for fun currently. Just go one step at a time. College can be well worth the investment if you do a transfer degree it's like 30k, basically as cheap as college can get. That gives you 4 years to learn and get internships, I would take like 4-6 months and figure out if software development specifically is what you want. It's very fun at first but gets really, really confusing eventually and that's why a lot of people really don't understand what they're doing with it. If college isn't an option or you want to try things out first Javascript/HTML/CSS is the most ideal route like the poster above. Just take it 1 step at a time, all you can do is learn bit by bit. For me the programming aspect is enjoyable, but all the stress and pressure surrounding discussion of professional programming and the competition is what seems to drive people mad. You won't get anywhere reading people arguing, you will if you just learn from the bottom up. I'd rather say I know a language that someone says is bad, than know none and constantly seek approval from some redditor who thinks x language is trash and y language is the future

a CS degree is a great investment if you know it's what you want to do for employment. Programming takes a lot more dedication and skills than the vast majority of other degrees/fields quite frankly. t. unprofessional programmer so don't listen to me