amazon.com/dp/B07D7PDLXC
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swappiness
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how can sleep

>there are people in 2019 that still have paging turned on and use hibernation
Fucking RAMlets.

This. Sleep mode is comfy.

>>that have paging turned on
what else am I supposed to use? segmentation?

just have your pc crash when it runs out of memory

Hibernation is mostly about saving battery on laptops, on desktops there is no reason to use it above sleep mode.

It's Windows retarded term for using a page file, don't get mad at me for them borrowing and misusing a term.
If you have more then 4 GB RAM there's zero fucking reason to even have in enabled, that shit only ever existed because Windows 95/98 were fucking retarded and only understood up to 1 GB of RAM and needed a page file to allow 32 bit applications to "see" more memory in protected mode. It's fucking 2019 with computers usually having 16 GB of RAM running in long mode. Such a feature is woefully antiquated.

Hibernation is always used by Windows 10 on shutdown
It's not full hibernation but it stores the OS components so they can be more readily loaded into RAM on startup
If you delete your hiberfil you loose this

That's "Fast Startup".
Nobody but brainlets use it, it's a buggy shit and literally makes no difference with SSDs.

You're an idiot, applications still use disk caching even if you have 32GB of RAM. Turning it off is a stupid idea and you shouldn't be anywhere near giving computer advice.

How can a zoomer be this fucking wrong? It must be the tide pods.

my mother would shutdown the computer if he saw a light

You're not disabling disk cache or paging. You just won't page pages on disk, just RAM.

I use Linux. It's not perfect but at least it doesn't have whatever the fuck that shit is.

Attached: 1339528754034.png (448x360, 47K)

Here's a running system with 32GB of RAM, programs open and no paging on disk.
It isn't magic.

Attached: file.png (223x167, 8K)

ok 2mb pagelet

If you had enough RAM, you wouldn't be using the pagefile to begin with, dumbass. All you're ensuring is you won't have it there when you actually need it, in case of a memory leak. Windows is just going to bitch about running out of RAM and gridning to a halt. All because you really had to have those 8GB of disk space back.
Stop giving advice about shit you're not familiar with.

To add to this. It doesn't even matter, Windows won't page on disk unless you're literally at 90% RAM usage.
Enabling or disabling won't make a difference with bigger amount of RAM if you're not ever even getting to that point anyways.

See

terry davis said virtual memory was the work of the nigger

what is page? why can't ms use actual terms?

It has both.

>what is page?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging

You're acting like Microsoft invented paging.

linux damages the brain
don't discriminate the poor guy

I have 32GB of RAM and never go above 16GB usage, yet windows always pages 4-5GB of data into the pagefile. If I disable it some programs have issues.

Delete system32

Attached: eeekkksss-deee-57cd460eae0c6.jpg (345x383, 17K)

>TURN OFF HIBERFIL.SYS
open an admin command prompt and type:
powercfg /hibernate off

But sleep and hibernation are two different thing. Sleep doesn't need hiberfil but instead it keeps RAM powered. If you unplug the computer completely, you lose your sleep data. Hibernation on the other hand saves RAM contents into hiberfil so it'll still work even if you unplug it, however it takes more time to hibernate/wake up than to sleep/wake up

>yet windows always pages 4-5GB of data into the pagefile
Should not happen unless you're way above 16GB. Have you messed with the default memory configuration?

>If I disable it some programs have issues.
Example?

no, it's left to auto.

you are fucking retarded and have no idea how things work

Seems like you only need Hiberfil if you live in a shithole country, and you have power cuts all the time. I turned it off.

It's called a UPS. You should have one anyways, no matter where you live or if you use hibernation or sleep.

>delete pagefile
Are you retarded, not only will this crash your computer when you run out of memory, it will decrease system performance when it is off. Fucking dumb nigger.

Even if a shithole country the cheapest shitties UPS could keep up sleep mode all day

jesus fuckin christ, the absolute state of this board
its like some boomers talking about computer stuff on facebook

It actually won't matter unless you're literally near the limit of available memory, neither in terms of performance or usability. There might be actually slight increased performance (as long as you stay under available memory) from the kernel and memory manager when not having disk paging enabled, but it would be unnoticeable in real world scenarios.
Anyone claiming otherwise is ill informed.

I can't agree, if you don't really need it it's just wasted money because the battery ages and deteriorates even if you don't use it.

>not only will this crash your computer when you run out of memory
yes
>it will decrease system performance when it is off
Lol no. As long as you stay within the amount of RAM you have it will actually work faster. Until it crashes when you run out of it.

Hiberfil :DDDDDD

Attached: 1547658899795.png (197x205, 15K)

A surge protection lead provides enough protection.

What is a swap partition?

>I can't agree, if you don't really need it it's just wasted money because the battery ages and deteriorates even if you don't use it.
They cost next to nothing and a battery will last you easily 5 years when you don't have problems with your power in the first place, aka "don't really need it".
Cheap used but high end UPS, like ones laid off from companies, can be found on auction sites everywhere, even locally, unless you live in the middle of actually nowhere. Usually with batteries that haven't even seen much usage.
A DC/DC UPS is useful in any case.

You guys are so fucking stupid it hurts. Hiberfil.sys is used to let your computer hibernate and then turn back on faster than cold booting. If you have a HDD this helps significantly. Obviously you can turn this off if you have an SSD.

What you really don't want to do is turn off Pagefile even if you have lots of RAM. It's used to store programs not being used in the background/minimized and to extend the amount of system RAM available. Best case scenario from turning this off is some software won't work properly because it expects pagefile to already exist in order to function, worst case scenario your computer fucking crashes with no survivors.

You want at least 1-2 GB of pagefile and if it takes up too much read/write resources then it's best to get a separate HDD or even a fast usb 3.1 flash drive to run the pagefile from.

Something like this would be a perfect candidate for running pagefile from: amazon.com/dp/B07D7PDLXC

It's cheap, give you up to 24GB of pagefile for the 32GB version, and has faster 4KB random performance than a HDD. NVME MLC M.2 SSD would be better though.

Thanks captain obvious.
Go back to shilling Smach Z now, you're too dumb to take part in actual discussion.

Also protip for those still reliant on spinning rust: short-stroke and install your OS on a primary partition of 64KB block size/allocation unit size. This will squeeze out every last bit of performance possible out of a HDD.

Also protip for those still reliant on Windows: install Gentoo

>turn off hiberfile

sorry I enjoy my thinkpad not dying in my backpack overnight from being perpetually in standby

>even if you have lots of RAM.
>extend the amount of system RAM available.

>Best case scenario from turning this off is some software won't work properly because it expects pagefile
Example? Everyone fails to give one. Since it's not true.
Turning on disk paging is not the same as turning off paging entirely.

>Put the thing that requires a lot of I/O on a HDD
>Better yet, put it on USB, since the CPU will love the overhead
... SSDs have come a long way.

What idiot would do that in 2019?
It's on par with delete system32

That would be 4k, on native 4k disks. AHCI can queue up several blocks anyways, no need to force 64k.
Read/Write speed benchmarks don't translate well into the real world, stop believing in missoceptions.

some games built a shader cache up to the maximum allowed paged pool. so you are wrong

that's what I thought at first, that's how it is on Linux but windows is fucking retarded apparently
even with 10gb free it was caching 4gb on disk, so I disabled it yesterday after I noticed that

Attached: 1551945151679-g.png (804x566, 27K)

Basically any software that's reliant on using pagefile as a form of cache will have performance problems as it keeps attempting to generate cache on non-existent pagefile. Try running software and gaymes with/without pagefile, you're bound to run into some that will have some sort of problem.

The usual reason for the disk filling up silently like that is a bunch of cab_#### files in the system temp folder, caused by the fact that the cab compressor shits itself when trying to compress a 2GB+ log file. It generates several hundred megs of garbage weekly.
Turn off hiberfil on an SSD and reduce pagefile of you've got a ton of ram, sure, but if you've got a GB+ cbs.log file it won't matter. You're still fucked.

HDDs have insanely low number of IOPS they can perform, YES a huge 64MB of cache will LIE to the OS and say it has already written that 6 gorrillion 4KB blocks it was supposed to but in realize the HDD is sweating bullets trying to get it all done and be ready for the next set of blocks it has to deal with.

Anyway enforcing 64KB of block sizes greatly aids in random read/writes of files smaller than 64KBs since a low end 50 IOPS HDD can barely do 200KB/s of 4KB random but 3,000+KB/s of 64KB random.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-13-13-54-31.png (720x1280, 195K)

Ignore tripfags

For the most part I actually know what I'm talking about you sperg. I've been repairing desktops and laptops for years now. Sure I can't solder a cpu on like ahmed can but I'm still more knowledgeable and experienced than 90% of Jow Forums.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-13-14-05-41.png (1280x720, 425K)

>my mother
>he
something you wish to tell us user

>what is swap
to give linux credit it doesn't touch swap until about 40% ram usage. under that it doens't touch it. unlike windows that tries to be "smart" and starts swapping (use its pagefile) at like 10% ram usage. so you can have 32,64- even 128gb of ram and windows for some retarded reason will still swap background idle app's to its pagefile. even if your ram usage is only 10%. even if you back down and drop to 5% usage it will still keep them in pagefile.

linux though you can manual set your swappiness limit. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swappiness

>pic related
its windows

Attached: 1541436978264.jpg (350x350, 54K)

Modern hard drives ate 4k native. The blocks literally ARE 4k. Nothing to do with cache. Old ones were even less, 512 bytes or custom size around that number.
I don't understand how this is hard to understand.

>delete system folder kek

This isn't Windows 98. We are talking about NT here. Even though I'm pretty sure this applied to Win9k too.
Programs NEVER access the page file directly, they use the memory manager to access pages, the memory manager places them either in the RAM or disk. Paging exist WITHOUT a page file also, this has been mentioned several times in this thread already. Any software running won't even know if it's being paged into RAM or disk.
Please people, stop being so misinformed and spreading that misinformation.

When I do this it says
>Unable to perform operation. An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred: Function failed during execution.

What do?

Negro, do you NOT know what IOPS are and how HDD fucking blow because of how said IOPS they can perform?

This has nothing to do with IOPS. The disk is still accessing physically 4k blocks, no matter if the filesystem is 64k blocks or not.
SATA AHCI hard drives will read a file in multiple blocks anyways. This is a filesystem thing, not a hard drive thing.

The way you even don't know basic things about Windows memory management and difference between physical and filesystem block sizes sure shows you're experienced!
Let me guess, screwing in computer parts in some 3rd world or slavic shithole "computer" store?

Also the swap is on it's partition, not some sort of file that somehow keep growing in size.

Then why do C2D machines boot faster and launch software faster on OSs installed on 64KB block partitions than on 4KB ones?

Okay if this was true then why can't windows OS's be installed in page file and run directly from it including any software installed?

checkmate atheists

it theoretically could, it would be dumb though and too slow to be usable

Linux can use a swap file. What's up with pseudo-intellectual retards in this thread?

Could be placebo, could be because the (filesystem) block size fits the use case well. I highly doubt you've bothered to actually benchmark and compare yourself and rely on some "check out this read speed benchmark" online.

The kernel itself can actually be paged, even on disk.
Also

>What do?
install gentoo

I been using computers for over two decades and I don't understand now or ever, the point of "sleep" and "hibernation" specially in literally current year when you can fresh boot 5 seconds.

I also turn off the page file on windows, been doing it ever since I've had at least 4GB of RAM, Windows manages just fine on my usage. I suppose if you're doing something like video editing, high res photo editing or gayming it would be wiser to leave it alone.

Portable computers.
0.4 seconds is still faster than 5 seconds to boot, plus battery life and continuation of work how you left it.

>I also turn off the page file on windows, been doing it ever since I've had at least 4GB of RAM, Windows manages just fine on my usage. I suppose if you're doing something like video editing, high res photo editing or gayming it would be wiser to leave it alone.
Like it was already mentioned in this thread. There's literally no difference between it on or off as long as you don't use all the available RAM.

This. Both sleep, to close a laptop lid or the machine to power save and be able to continue in less than a second plus hibernate when the battery gets low without losing your work when you can't plug it in. Sleep and hibernation are technologies that got deported to desktop PCs but were developed for mobile computers.

Well thanks for making me a little smarter guys. Gonna go benchmark boot/software launch times and import/export of small sized files on the 64KB partition on a C2D machine. Though I could swear I've never seen it perform this fast even when I stripped windows 7 to the core services and no startup programs enabled.

>winblows
lmao