I want a sofrware engineering job at Google

Or Uber, Amazon, Microsoft,...a big tech company. I want muh 100k starting so I can live a comfy upper-middle class lifestyle.

I'm a math major and I'm set to graduate in ~2 years. I entered college as a CS major so I took 3 semesters of CS classes(included C++, Java, object oriented programming, data structures, algorithms). I took some CS classes in highschool and I got a 5 on the AP Computer Science A exam.

Is there a book or program or something like that I can work through that will pretty much guarantee that I have the skillset to be easily hired by one of these companies by the time I finish college? I don't care how hard it is, I'm willing to put in the work and dedicated 100% of my free time in order to do so.

Before you ask, I switched majors because I didn't meet the GPA requirement to get into the engineering school (it houses the CS program). I didn't meet the GPA requirement because I was lazy, barely did my homework, did everything last minute, pretty much skated by what I learned in high school until that didn't become enough.

Thnx

Attached: hire_me.jpg (696x392, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

geeksforgeeks.org/
Jow
stackoverflow.com/questions/562303/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Kys pajeet

Do some kind of personal project like making a game or something. Also

>math major
>not getting any job @ 300k starting
Stop lying.

Yeah, there's a manual. Hold on for a sec

Here it is. I hope I'll never work with you. Fucking non-programmers thinking they can do programming job because they graduated in maths or physics. Why don't you just stick to "DATA" "SCIENCE" you uselesee piece of shit

Attached: 71jRvBEDNmL.jpg (952x1360, 146K)

>I'm a math major
$300k starting, any job you want

That sounds really open ended. I'm looking for something more strictly defined.

Based. All I have to do is work through this book and I'll be good enough to get a job? Do I have to have a project or something as well?

Someone please explain this meme to me. This MIIIIGHT be true if you have a PhD and are researching for Google or something.

Key word, MIGHT.

It's fake news.

>It's fake news.
Figured. The only reason I'm even thinking of following this path is because I don't think I can get a job with only a BS in Math. I don't even LIKE programming. I'm only about to sell my soul for the income.

Why was your algorithms and data structures a separatr course and why is there oop while having separate courses for java and cpp. Wtf. Or do you mean you covered that stuff?
Those topics are literally 2 units of work.

t. Sociology graduate

I personally am a neet and hate it and all my efforts keep trying to force me into being stuck this way sometimes.

I covered all of those topics

C++ and Data Structures was one course.

Java and OO programming (and some multi threaded programming) was another

Algorithms was it's own course (fun fact, the particular one I did was taught by Leonard Adleman).

For AP computer science in highschool, I learned Java and OO programming.

>comfy upper-middle class lifestyle
Nope its a hard job..
If you still want to grab cs take any c or java books make sure its have hardwear info also.. and just watch the documentations youtube videos whatever the fuck they are all over the web

Be a nigger faggot or cut your dick off and become trans. Job 100% guatanteed.

Attached: 1548610886549.jpg (1037x783, 188K)

Btw if there is a way I can make 80-100k starting out of college with JUST a BS in Math and a shit GPA, I'm all ears.

It needs to be stressed that I fucked HATE programming. I'm just going deeper into it because I have some experience, I want a job, and I'm willing to put in the work to be good at it

While you're still in college
1. Try to get an internship with one of those companies.
2. Have at least two projects on your resume.

Also read Cracking the Coding Interview and do exercises on leetcode.com

>All I have to do is work through this book and I'll be good enough to get a job? Do I have to have a project or something as well?

I'm neither user that previously commented. But if you know the algorithms and techniques used in that book you should be good enough to get your foot in the door.

Creating a personal project will help be successful long term in the role. Try to pick a project that hits these points :

>learn version control software like github/gitlab
>learn a project planning software like jira
>make your code as clean and readable as possible, comment intelligently when necessary
>write documentation as you go along, try to make it clear enough even pajeet could follow along
>hit multiple different layers in an application stack.
>feel out whether you prefer front end or back end development.
>try and collaborate with a cs major at your school, see if you even enjoy working with these people in the first place.

>I don't even LIKE programming. I'm only about to sell my soul for the income.

You will fail

>You will fail
What makes you think that? As I said, I'm willing to put in the work. I failed at my first attempt because I hardly did any work and always started projects that were assigned a month before hand 24 hours before the due date. In addition to that I gave up too easily. This time I'll work hard and start as early as possible so I have time to get good

>Btw if there is a way I can make 80-100k starting out of college with JUST a BS in Math and a shit GPA, I'm all ears.

Fix your GPA and become a financial quant you stupid nigger

My GPA is ~2.26. There is no way in hell I can fix that in 4 semesters.

You're another one of those faggots who wants to get into coding for no reason than making money. We have enough of people like you who fuck up the code base constantly. Basically FUCK OFF WE'RE FULL. Get a job at a bank or something.

You will fail because you hate it. I am not some faggot who believes you need to love your job, but you absolutely cannot hate it. You say that you're willing to put in the work now, but that's because you've done nothing. This is all abstract.

I tried working a sales job for that sick commission check. I hated lying to people to make a buck, so I never practiced, so I never got good. I eventually left the role for a technical one and got good at it because I enjoyed it just enough to practice.

Gahahahaha RIP.

I used to enjoy coding which is why I took classes in high school and even attempted to be a CS major. However when you're hit by project after project after project and you spend hours debugging and seeing
Segmentation fault core dumped
over and over again it gets to you. Coding was fun when it was a hobby that I did whenever I want. When I was given deadlines and shit it lost it's recreational value.

>get a job at a bank or something
Negro, what bank will hire someone or even let someone intern with a BS in Applied Math and a 2.26 GPA? At least with software engineering you don't really need a degree. You just have to know your shit and prove it and you have a job.

>You say that you're willing to put in the work now, but that's because you've done nothing
I used to put in a lot of work which is why I probably know enough to get an internship. I do have ~2 years of experience with CS after all.

Damn, my man really came here to laugh at me.

Well, you can start by reading a book.
You can start with:
>the c programming language by Dennis Ritchie
For the algorithms:
>Introduction to algorithms third edition

You can find both books on the internet (pdf version) for free.

Feel free to visit:
>geeksforgeeks.org/
For more books recommendations
>Jow Forums-science.fandom.com/wiki//sci/_Wiki
If you want more, feel free to try some problems on: TopCoder, Codechef, hackerrank, CodeForces, LeetCode.
By the way, some of this websites are used for students who prepare for IOI (International Informatics Olympiad), also for competitions made by Google (hash code, Code Jam) and Facebook.

Also, check this:

For C:
>stackoverflow.com/questions/562303/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

and for C++:
>stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

>I want this
>I want that
>I didn't meet the GPA requirement because I was lazy, barely did my homework, did everything last minute, pretty much skated by what I learned in high school until that didn't become enough.
Though I believe that it's never too late to unfuck one's self, part of said unfucking includes knowing that you should put the work in.

You will fail at something you hate, find something you enjoy and aim for that

>math major
laffin at u

> Is there a book or program or something like that I can work through that will pretty much guarantee that I have the skillset to be easily hired by one of these companies by the time I finish college?
HRT, makeup and women clothes.

It isnt even pure math which at least has their ivory tower. This guy did APPLIED math.

Can someone explain the google tranny meme for me

>Someone please explain this meme to me
Go into finance you fukking tard. Go be a quant and you will make even more than that with bonuses.

>it's never too late

Attached: 1549480446049.jpg (638x558, 64K)

I managed to unfuck a 2.4gpa. At 3.0 now but it took a few high 80s and 90s. I might get 3.3 by the end.

You Americans are lucky to have all the experts in one place. Being taught by the you have no excuse to be failing or doing poorly.

How do I enter the field? If it pays well and they take my 2.2 gpa having ass I’ll do it

Okay we get it you're shit.

I honestly don’t think I’m shit. I was just lazy and fucked around. I have since learned from my mistakes and developed my work ethic; however, a complete stranger can’t see your work ethic. They look at quantifiable data like GPA. My GPA doesn’t reflect my abilities.

Same desu

American programmers has no excuses to suck, honestly.

I don’t get the pic

If you want a job at Google just cause of the money you are unlikely to get it. Deep interest in computer science much more likely to motivate you and keep you on track.

guess what the other applicants had worth ethic, before you. so you still have nothing on them.

That's why I need to know what to read up on. There are a lot of html/javascript "programmers". But good programmers who are strong in concepts like data structures and algorithms are rare. From my understanding, that is the meat of computer science. If I can self teach that stuff and understand it like the back of my hand I'll blow my competition out of the water. At least that's what I think

>I used to put in a lot of work which is why I probably know enough to get an internship. I do have ~2 years of experience with CS after all.

You said you failed out of CS and did a piss poor job the first time around. If you did terrible because you hate the subject and still hate the subject, why would you ever think you'll be successful in this subject?

>I honestly don’t think I’m shit. I was just lazy and fucked around.

Pro-tip : There is no difference.

>My GPA doesn’t reflect my abilities.

Great, so go back and re-take the classes you failed and then it will reflect your "abilities"

in my experience, most big company interviewers are either elitists or trannys : the elitist wants you to think uncreatively and assumes his solution to the problem is the best one and will consider any questions towards his method 'arrogance', he basically just wants his dick sucked. the tranny usually has colored hair and will ask you abstract questions that have nothing to do with the work itself, he basically wants you to admit that you're a tranny too and let him suck your dick.

i flip-flopped from jobs a bunch because nothing felt satisfying and working for a company that owns everything you create is demoralizing.

i now make a living off poker and programming is now a fun hobby again.

You're GPA refelects your abilities. Accept it and get better or work you way up in the industry by proving yourself.

>100k ... comfy upper-middle class lifestyle
>in silicon valley

Attached: 96187e73f20317da6256658657b392da[1].jpg (512x422, 28K)

>You're GPA
>refelects
>work you way up

1.9 GPA detected

I interviewed at uber, shit was easy but the interviewer fucked me up. Wouldnt wanna work there anyway

100k isn't a lot of money in the cities those jobs are located in. So by all means, go contact some hiring managers on Linkedin and tell them you are willing to work for 100k.

Do you like math? What subjects are you studying or plan to study?

>but the interviewer fucked me up.
how

No you don't.

I used to work for M$.
Now I work for a private company. I make the same amount, $120K

I can go into work anytime before 10AM and I leave at 4Pm which allows me ample time to work on my side business.

Seriously, I live with less stress now than when I did at M$

Anybody done Google Summer of Code? Is it worth it?

Attached: 12345knk1n3k.png (278x351, 113K)

Why did you go into an industry that's been saturated for like 15 years?

I used to work at Microsoft too and it was extremely comfy and laid back. I worked from 8:30am to 3:30pm everyday and no one cared.

Nice larp. Nobody makes 120k at Microsoft.

retard alert.

Retard alert.

Interns make nearly $100k at Google...
L3 (lowest level software engineers) start at minimum $115k, $20k-50k starting bonus, and $25k-$50k stock per year. If you have competitive offers you can negotiate much higher starting stock packages.

*rolls out whiteboard*

Mhmm, user, it seems you went to.....community college? I'm gonna need you to solve some simple problems.

So you want a starting/junior programming job?

You MUST master the basics of programming, and be able to implement your programming knowledge using any language. That means solving problems without relying on any particular syntax. If you cannot separate programming syntax from programming concepts/algorithms, then you will need to go back and focus on the basics.

After mastering the basics, you want a starting job. Let us look at languages that will help you launch your programming career. And NO, you will NOT be earning $300k/year when you are just starting, but you may do so if you persevere.

1- Java. Enormously popular, Java is everywhere, and everyone wants a Java developer. A must for Android applications.

2- Javascript. It runs most of the internet! A must for website developers, (with CSS and HTML.)

3- Objective C/Swift. The languages that power Apple gadgets. A must for iOS applications.

There are more languages in high demand, but they require more experience. Master the following to expand your horizons:

-SQL. Because data must get stored.
-C. Real programmers point to this language.
-C++. For classy, objective programmers.
-Python. For high-paying sssoftware engineering jobs.

>WHAT OTHER LANGUAGES ARE IN HIGH DEMAND?
Other than what was mentioned above: C#, Ruby, and PHP.

>I WANT TO WORK WITH HARDWARE DIRECTLY. WHAT LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Machine code. Good luck, friend.

>WHAT HUMANLY-READABLE LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Assembly. When it comes to programming, Assembly is the apex predator.

>I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE LATEST NEW MODERN not-a-fad LANGUAGES!
Take a look at Rust, Go, Hack, Scala, Julia, Dart, and Erlang.

>THOSE LATEST not-a-fad LANGUAGES WILL GUARANTEE A JOB, RIGHT?
No.

>I STARTED LEARNING [language x] BUT YESTERDAY MY [friend/lecturer/uncle] SAID TO SWITCH TO [language y]. WHAT DO?
You have already started, so stick. That other language will still be there when you are done with your current task.

>100k starting
>comfy upper-middle class lifestyle.

Attached: 1552428871183.gif (498x278, 1.69M)

Saturated?
Tell me about it.

I work at microsoft. I fucking hate it. Full of socially incompetent malicious backstabbing fuckbags. At least my ORG is.

Interviewing at amazon and google in a month. Wish me luck.

I got $98k/year about 4 weeks after I graduated with my BS. My GPA was good but I went to a bottom-tier college. I also had no internships.

If you hate programming though, then don't do it. You're not gonna make it in this career field without enjoying what you do. I think I got job offers because in interviews they could tell I live and breathe this stuff. Everyone on my team is obsessed to greater or lesser degrees with computers.

>Google

But James Damore...

Attached: xfyzl90gclez.png (777x1029, 662K)

Are you kidding me? The whole industry is cucked. I am the only white male (== evil) on my team. My org went to see the new marvel movie because it stars a wahmen.

We just get to choose what company fucks us. They all are equally shit. Get in, get the money, get out.

If anyone wants the strat for getting into the companies on the OPs list all they have to do is this: leetcode --> job --> leetcode --> better job etc. etc. until you work at the company you want to - that simple - I didn't graduate and work directly at Microsoft

btw I'm 27 my salary is 126k stock award last year was 45k bonus was 15k and I am not terribly happy because I have to see this assholes ever day. Very happy for life to change to something better soon

>If you hate programming though, then don't do it
I'm not the OP but how can I determine if I like programming or not? I've tried several times to learn it w/ different languages but I never stuck with it and I never felt strongly about building projects... I guess I answered my own question maybe

>I have to see this assholes ever day.
Are these people genuinely assholes or is it a culture fit thing? I don't really care if my team is gender fluid or gay or whatever, I'm not marrying them. Don't want people backstabbing me or playing dumb games and office politics though.

Attached: 1551591854769.jpg (1080x1036, 97K)

KEK!!!

I can't believe that the drones (population) didn't get angrier about this. I mean, if a nigger or a wahmen got fired for expressing radical-left SJW views then the whole earth would explode and we would have another pathetic #me2 movement.

Por Damore, I hear he has a new well paying job though, so good for him.

>I guess I answered my own question maybe
Yes, user, you did.
I was also like you, introverted so the idea of not having to deal with fuckloads of loud people each day made programming seem rather appealing. Always loved the web and creating stuff, so turning words into applications seemed even better. So I started doing tutorials and learning the basics. I took forever, it was all foreign, as a consequence it took over a year, whenever I had enough of a break I would find my way back to doing a little more when bored. Finally get semi-decent enough that I could pick a language and focus on that for a month or two to get good enough for an entry-level gig, but I can never seem to stick to it.....

At the end of the day we have to listen to ourselves when these situations occur. If it was truly an interest, a Passion, then you and I would be spinning up websites and apps out of our kazoo. However, since we struggle to stay the course then it's a clear sign that you are not temperamentally suited to this kind of work, even if you are intelligent and competent enough to do it under duress.

I'd love to know what other things you are interested in. I might be able to help.

>Don't want people backstabbing me or playing dumb games and office politics though.
I'm not him, but you hit the nail on the head. And mentally disabled people who believe in the gay gender fluid whatever(s) are the people most likely to backstab and bitch and fuck with your mind office politics, the two are mutually exclusive.

Imagine trying to work and those cunts/fags come up to you and ask you seemingly innocuous questions about your personal life and views, but really with the intention of trying to label you with some anti-patriarchal white-male demonising brand so they can laugh at you within earshot or talk derisively about your 'cis-gendered white male views'.

If you ever complain or call them out on it you get dragged into HR for charges close to hate-crimes for victimising a trans/gay/disempowered-woman/protected-class by some bull-dyke HR bitch who looks like she wants to eat you for your """toxic masculinity""""

>This MIIIIGHT be true if you have a PhD and are researching for Google or something.

it's very possible you just have to be top 1%. top quant firms will easily reach 300k total comp for new grads if you're a math genius. Two Sigma & Jane Street will pay similar salaries for CS new grads (think 200k base salary, bonus of 50% base salary guaranteed, signing bonuses, etc.)

>However, since we struggle to stay the course then it's a clear sign that you are not temperamentally suited to this kind of work, even if you are intelligent and competent enough to do it under duress.
I worry about this but I'm enjoying my math classes as a CS undergrad. If I'm like problem solving like math it could be okay... right?

Maybe graduate with a good GPA, make a could hundred thousand and try my luck at medschool and prep for 3 years on my savings?

if im gay and have a husband will I get hired on the spot? Serious sorta question.

>it's very possible you just have to be top 1%. top quant firms will easily reach 300k total comp for new grads if you're a math genius. Two Sigma & Jane Street will pay similar salaries for CS new grads (think 200k base salary, bonus of 50% base salary guaranteed, signing bonuses, etc.)
dumb reasoning because any talented individual can make boatloads. Warren buffet had a guy at lehman brothers who was paid millions yearly and made a mistake that cost nearly a billion dollars and almost bankrupt the firm.

i mean sure , but the idea doesn't come from nowhere. a significant amount of math majors go into those jobs i believe too, though not all of them are working at the top firms

You've clearly never worked at an actual company

I think the concept is that your wages are in proportion to how much wealth you can generate for your employer.

A PhD engineer at intel can make a 7 million dollar mistake and get paid 100k a year.

100k in silicon valley is not that much due to cost of living.

tfw making 110k less than a year after graduating

:^)

>110k less than a year after graduating
>a year after graduating - 100k?
what

Nice post. I've noticed there is a whole lot more down-playing of your groups tactics these days. For every time someone comes out with a story there is a SJW warrior who has had their Xanax for the day so they aren't screaming and beating their chests, and are thus able to calmly pretend that you would have to be insane to believe the rhetoric going around about the extreme left wingers.

100k is like min wage for the area. All the dullards think it is a huge salary, but you could live in the country, work at starbucks, and live a similar type of lifestyle as the 6-figure tech guy in silicuck vally

Serious sort of answer: Gay-activism isn't what it used to be. Now there are all these brave-englightned struggling trans-activists to content with. If you chopped off your dick or wore a skirt you would be hired on the spot. To even get a foot in the door as a special-protected-glass as a plain old vanilla gay man these days you need to virtue signal like an activist aristocrat.

Start off by obnoxiously talking about how your husband was recently fired from his old job because they found out he was married to you. Look the HR person directly in the eyes as if challenging them to make a micro expression which shows disgust or contempt for you being gay. Then drop in how you enjoy working with all people, and you're so inclusive, and ***Drawing from your own hardships with inexclusive people,and the challenges you went through before you got the right to marry, and knowing what oppression of teh downtrodden is like, that you will be able to bring a beacon of inclusivity to the organisation, then you will probably get the job.

But you have to work for it. After all, you're a male, and even worse if a white male, who has marriage rights. You're practically part of the cis-gender partriarchy..... Gotta earn your oppression credentials in 2019

user, if you do something you don't like, or can't stay engaged in, you will end up miserable and bitter and alcoholic within 3 years. That's a dark hole to fall into.

Any hopes of med school or anything else better will be so far out of your reach by then that all the money in the world won't make you feel better.

thanks, I like good programming and interesting projects like I like math.

I would probably hate maintain and patch XYZ on cloud platform ABZ and update BNZ

that book is too easy for most interviews now.
it's good prep work for leetcode and EPI tho

I am pretty sure most of my coworkers are hiding behind 20+ miligrams of Lexapro or something...they're emotionless drones hell-bent on 'climbing upward' through whatever means possible....it's depravity of the psyche... they stopped being able to smell the flowers long ago and now exist in a state of pure ego where their jobs are their only crutch on their self-esteem.

God I hate you normies that only want to program to make money.

Is there any easy way to move to America and make $100k each year?

You're welcome.

Don't go for a corporate job then. Develop your own app or something. Because your description is what 99% of programming jobs are. + also writing copious technical documentation

Where can you work at Starbucks and save $50,000 a year?