Android Q Beta available

Is out for pixelfags
plenty of privacy related stuff: android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/03/introducing-android-q-beta.html

Attached: file.png (1139x1600, 608K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/android-q-new-features/
xda-developers.com/android-q-toggle-dark-theme/
twitter.com/topjohnwu/status/1105947979679191041
developer.android.com/preview/download
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

whores bunch of WHORES

gsi?

Wow, it's nothing.

I was on Nougat for awhile because I couldn't stand how everything looked on P/Q.
If I wanted an iPhone I'd buy one instead.
Unfortunately I had to update for security reasons.

Q stands for?

xda-developers.com/android-q-new-features/

>they omit all the stuff about privacy
it is honestly the most interesting stuff they have added, like passive biometrics

Dude, I just installed my first Pie rom yesterday, come on.

I hope it is not Quiche
that shit is nasty

This is all I care about

Attached: _20190313_135246.jpg (1080x391, 68K)

did they put the old volume sliders back?

Queer

No official name yet, but Quindim seems to be the most popular guess.

tldr:

>New permissions to access location in background and to access photo, video and audio files.
>Background apps can no longer jump into the foreground.
>Limited access to non-resettable device identifiers.
>Sharing shortcuts, which allow sharing content with a contact directly.
>Floating settings panel, that allow changing system settings directly from apps.
>Dynamic depth format for photos, which allow changing background blur after taking a photo.
>Support for the AV1 video codec, the HDR10+ video format and the Opus (audio format) audio codec.
>A native MIDI API, allowing interaction with music controllers.
>Better support for biometric authentication in apps.

>those round corners
yikes.

>API29

Nah, I don't want to lose Magisk access.

All I care about is the system-wide dark mode.

quark

>Pixel 1

Nice, but I'm on beta and didn't get anything.
Is the update only available in america or something?

It's been that way since Pie and I hate it, looks even worse if you're using dark mode.

you need to enroll on each new beta

imagine doing free QA and being a good little google botnet drone in the year of our lord 2019

Ask away:)

Attached: Screenshot_20190313-174030.png (1554x2048, 281K)

post cool shit

>Privacy
>Google

Pick one.

lmao android fucking sucks now, they're just changing shit because they need to do something to keep their jobs. They perfected android with 6.0 marshmallow and then they kept fucking it up again.

as if any device is capable of actually decoding it yet

Root is already possible using Magisk.
Most modules are incompatible unless you change the maxapi value, though.

Attached: qroot.png (511x439, 68K)

Surprised I can actually enroll my first Pixel

Attached: Screenshot_20190313-225646.png (1080x1920, 142K)

Oh fuck.

xda-developers.com/android-q-toggle-dark-theme/

It's not even available by default, you need to turn it on using adb.

they made everything pitch fucking black and removed the option to switch between day and night mode from what I can see :(
They also changed the file picker to a material theme. I'll post it after I black out sensitive info.
They also released the beta right in the middle of the devs giving Photos a dark theme. It's hilarious. You can tell someone in management pushed them to get it done by this Wednesday to keep tradition. :)
In other news, not much else changed. The enter button on the lock screen when you put your PIN in changed to an icon.

Attached: Screenshot_20190313-175707.png (1080x1920, 145K)

It’s pitch black as it lowers power consumption on OLED screens

For some reason Files just... doesn't work at all when you're not in the file picker. But yeah.
I know, and I respect that Google is finally pushing towards making making phones OLED ready but you literally cannot switch between night and day mode, and the way they made it makes it seem as if you put your phone display in negative. They didn't execute it right.

Attached: Screenshot_20190313-180151.png (1080x1920, 104K)

Did they do anything to recents screen or is it still bad?

>Could not enroll

Nice.

It cracks me up. It's literally 50/50; some things are dark and some things aren't. They could've at least hitched in a couple of box color property changes to at least make it blend in, but nah. Google is a strange beast.

Attached: Unehwhxjtitled.jpg (1080x1920, 165K)

How's the battery life in this?
I remember when the first Pie build started coming out there was some massive battery draining.

Attached: Untitlcudjcjeed.jpg (1080x1920, 122K)

Where?

It looks ugly as sin, man.

Still bad. In the past year or so, it's grown on me though. I kind of like it now if only for the fact I can copy and paste shit without having to enter the app itself.
Haven't noticed much difference in batt. drainage but it's certainly charging A LOT faster, even at higher percentages. That may just be placebo and it's always charged that fast.
Do you have a Pixel or Essential?
:(

Attached: Screenshot_20190313-181840.png (1152x2048, 484K)

cool
thank you, lad
I am installing the emulator, because I want to give it a go, and I don't own a pixel device

It's not.

twitter.com/topjohnwu/status/1105947979679191041

How many people are even on Pie?

Pixel 3 XL

Looks like I'm not the only one getting this message so I'll try again tomorrow.

android one devices are on pie since last year, apart from pixels
it takes forever for other vendors for some reason

Fuck.

You can flash it manually.
developer.android.com/preview/download

queefy miracle

Surprised the Pixel 1 got it. Probably has something to do with treble.

Quiche isn't a dessert? Is this an American thing?

-cries in non-pixel-

Hey user, how smooth does it run on the original Pixel?
I'm thinking about updating my work phone to Q, but I don't want to fuck myself over.

Blog update: reverting back to Pie. This is more half-baked than I thought it would be.

Well, other vendors have to customize Android for their own devices, like Samsung with One UI. It's funny because I don't think Google has published the Android distribution chart since October, and even then, the percentage of Android devices on Pie was so small (less than 0.1%) that it wasn't shown on the chart.

Wouldn't it look bad on Google if they ditched their flagship devices after two years? I know two years of updates is the norm for Android devices, but this is the Pixel line. Google has marketed it as a high-end premium line of devices. I figured that if they ditched the Pixel 1, consumers who bought Pixels before wouldn't be willing to buy Pixels anymore.

yep, rounded corners are the future.
what's next?

When they announced the first pixel, they straight up said it would get 2 years of major android version upgrade, and 3 years of security patch.
Also, it would not be the first time a supposedly ineligible Pixel/Nexus device get access to the beta of a new android update, only to be left out when the release version get deployed

Did they? I don't remember.
>only to be left out when the release version get deployed
Why would they do that? They have to put in the work to make the beta versions work, and I would assume the release version is pretty close to the last beta. Why not just finish it and release the final version?

Couldn't find the actual slide from the unveil event, but you get the idea

Attached: Screenshot_20190314-005457_Samsung Internet.jpg (1439x2692, 635K)

How important are security updates? I get that there are always new vulnerabilities being discovered, but as long as you don't download shady apks or something, you should be fine, right?

How long do they usually take to launch on non-Pixel devices?

Mmm yeah. Sloppy.

Attached: Screenshot_20190313_200547.jpg (1080x1920, 138K)

But does it fix the wifi problem in pie?

I have no problems on Pie.

Volume sliders are no longer physical buttons. Everything, including the wake/sleep functionality, is gesture based.

I'm on the Pixel XL

Attached: Screenshot_20190313-213900.png (1440x2560, 134K)

Qaiji Ultimate Survivor

Never had those issues myself with Pie. Might be device specific.

Queef cake?
Quocolate quip quookie?

>Privacy
>Using smartphones
Retard

This is really Jewish of them

I CAN’T WAIT TO UPGRADE TO ANDROID 16.3 CREAMY CUM CUPCAKE!!!

Attached: image.jpg (256x404, 128K)

ONOES MY ANDROID IS A YEAR OLD AND CANT GET THE NEW OS :((( LOOKS LIKE I HAVE TO BUY THE NEW SAMSUNG :^)

I'll bet the majority are still in Marshmallow or even Lollipop.

Pretty good so far.

But my notification area is white again for some reason.
Hate it.

Attached: Screenshot_20190314-080625.png (1080x1920, 126K)

It's noticeably slower and "swipe for notifications" doesn't work.
I do not recommend.

And NewPipe stopped working.

>they made it look like GNOME3
>rounded corners included

Attached: 1381413488622.gif (357x238, 2.2M)

I've heard that you can't swipe notifications to the left anymore to dismiss them. Why the change? In Pie, you could swipe them either way.

> In Pie, you could swipe them either way.
Only to the right.
To the left opened options for particular notification.

Ah really? I must be misinformed. I was watching a YouTube video about the beta, and I heard that it was different in Pie.

I'm guessing that's the reason Google hasn't afaik published any Android distribution charts.

I think the most common Android version is 7 right now, while 8 is the "current"
9 is 1%, basically pixel and Android one phones, and maybe some flagships

Which Clover theme is that?

>make phones with bigger screens just to subtract the screen real estate again in software
yikes

>New permissions to access location in background and to access photo, video and audio files.
>A native MIDI API, allowing interaction with music controllers
Pretty good. Wonder if this is a step in the right direction of reducing latency as much as iOS has.

Don't use gapps and use microG instead? Currently the best deal going.

Quake

I mean, good luck functioning in a society and having a job without one.

quaker oats

Attached: 1549060626317.png (844x507, 410K)

>Rounded corners
FFFFFUUUH...
>no notch
...Oh, oh nice.

It's both ways. A half swipe opens up the options

Nougat is godlike, can't blame them.

Magisk when?

Read the thread.

>9 is 1%
Judging from the last Android distribution chart Google published, it's even less than that. It's so small that it doesn't even show up on the chart. It's kind of embarrassing.

The round corners on Pie could be disabled by using some adb command. Any idea if it works on Q?

I'll stick to N then