Every new hard drive I get fails

I have had at least five different, brand new WD sata hard drives in my pc over the last few years, and ALL have started to fail within months of installing them. Mostly failing by having a shitload of bad sectors and/or just not showing up as a device at all anymore.

Now contrast this with my OLD 1TB WD drive that I have run system on for years and years and it still runs like new. Is this the only non-defective hd on earth?

I have a good psu and have tried several acutally, I have fans an each drive, air separation space, dust cleaned out. They are not getting hot or being run hard.

The new ones just fucking fail for no reason every time. What am I to do?

Attached: 6331502_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550.jpg (550x546, 36K)

install a ssd

1: What operating system / file system are you running
2: Are you doing RAID
3: How active is the hard drive
4: What colour hard drive (WD only)
5: Have you disabled pagefiles/paging?
6: What hardware are you running (cpu/mobo/mem... etc)
7: Do you physically move the machine constantly?
8: Are the SATA connectors secured in tightly? I know some connectors don't clip in and can slide out and cause corruption quite easily.

>still using hard drives

Attached: 1483401246274.png (800x648, 59K)

1. Linux only with ext4 on all volumes
2. No RAID
3. Not all that active, sometimes I run VMs so that would be the most activity
4. They have been a mix, black, blue, green
5. No, have paging but also have 20GB of RAM so never really use the swap space
6. It's a decent last gen i5 with Asus P8875-V board, 20GB ram
7. Never move the machine or mess with it
8. Yes, these clip on pretty well with a metal latch thing

9. Also have no overclocking or other weird things going on

For 1, 2 and 4 TB volumes, yes I do.

Toshiba is the only option at this point. Everything else is dead or shit.

I honestly don't know what to tell you, but the only time hard drives have gone funky on me, are when I use any EXT formatting on Linux...
The only time Windows has fucked me was when it did a checkdisk randomly and seemingly overwrote my entire partition table for no particular reason

>not having a *permanent* storage device

check this out.

Attached: 1538940233711.png (895x368, 26K)

I installed this program and ran on my new 4TB and get the same thing actually.

Attached: smartinfo.png (811x365, 93K)

>new
>3k hours

Yeah I run the machine 24/7, that is a few months of use.

95% of the time not actually doing reads or writes

Tell me a drive should last more than a few monts. My old WD must have in the many tens of thousands of hrs

A drive should last for years, more than ten for sure.

If this is true you're really unlucky or buying fake/used shit. Do you check SMART data

Use red wd or ironwolf seagate

Retarded linux formatting did that to my drives. One of the reasons i returned to botnet

How did you diagnose this and come to this conclusion? Even if you use raw fdisk or parted the defaults should be optimal with the partitions aligned and all that.

>I have a good psu
are you absolutely positive? Is it like top tier seasonic? are you using the original cables and not mix/matching? also do you have a line conditioner? I bought one and it kicks on surprisingly often, like whenever the vacuum or microwave gets turned on, or during a bad storm.

other than that, assuming you aren't cutting power while the platters are spinning or while the head is reading, I have no idea. Maybe you could try replacing all your sata cables too. if you have ruled out everything else then you just might have hit the defective hdd lottery.

>Start_Stop_Count 148171
>Power_On_Hours 38177
>Power_Cycle_Count 6843

Attached: FxJvk.jpg (375x250, 130K)

>WD

>I have a good psu and have tried several
No you haven't.