Manjaro Thread

Just got linux Manjaro on my Thinkpad t420s. Installed it after asking around and doing some research and I've found it to be really good.
>simple and intuitive to use
>stable
>host of useful programs
>based off of ark but not nearly of a headache
>pretty much no maintenance unlike other linux distros.

Let's start a manjaro thread. One of the best linux distros in my opinion!

Attached: images.png (220x229, 571)

Other urls found in this thread:

allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

babby's first linux thread

Nice bait user ; )

>Manjaro thread
your thread is bait though
no one uses Manjaro

Yeah, I don't know why! I mean, it is a bit niche, and has a not cool name, but I liked it better than ubuntu and mint. That's why I made this thread. To find people who do. See what they think.

i use manjaro and it's great.

just werks (tm)

Manjaro triggers the arch neckbeards.

>rolling release
>stable
And let us not forget how incompetent the devs are.

Attached: 1549430912249.jpg (669x960, 52K)

>simple
Have you ever installed arch?
>arch is headache
>pretty much no maintenance

Just go for antergos instead. It's pretty similar but its not that bloat as manjaro.

it's ok. I have one month and after years of using Ubuntu and Debian derivatives (tried Opensuse and Fedora too) I have to admit that is comfy in its own way.

I use it with i3 and with very few programs so I don't know how it will behave installing behemoth DEs like a full KDE suit or GNOME.

Yea its pretty good for what it is. I enjoy the comparison to Mint. Manjaro kinda is to arch what mint is to ubuntu. Although I prefer Antergos as it's basically a GUI installer. I appreciate manjaro.

A thread died for this.

Why not just use arch or antergos if you want to avoid the cancerous "arch way" installing? Manjaro is quite inferior to both.
>stable
I could fart right now and somehow the smell of it would get to their repos and fuck the next update.

Manjaro is nice (and I actually have it on a USB drive) and it just works. But I prefer Antergos as an easy Arch-based distro, despite having a shitty installer.

Unironically best Just Werks distro out there. Especially with i3. With KDE it was a clunky mess in my VM. I haven’t experienced any issues with manjaro after about 5 months of usage.

anyone with manjaro, how do you stop the monster that is baloo file?

No idea what the fuck that is bud

i think its the indexer. it uses up 6gb and doesnt park itself properly so it fucks the system up

Works on my machine

Attached: archcuck.jpg (1024x768, 398K)

Anarchy Linux does a better job of what Manjaro says it does.

This distro is a joke security-wise

I've used manjew for about 2 years with timeshift, and haven't needed to use it once. But to be honest, I'm not sure what this brings to the table against opensuse tumbleweed and debian unstable.

why

Dumb question, if I'm upgrading from manjaro 17 to manjaro 18 is it fine to just Syu or is it better to do a fresh install from a USB? I'm coming from Ubuntu and always did fresh installs between OS version updates with it.

Manjaro is the best distro. the DEs and kernel are always up to date and you don't have to reinstall ever. I recommend trying i3 out it just werks

Arch fags are just seething that Manjaro can do everything it can do but without wasting time on the install and Manjaro doesn't break every time you -Syu

>based on Arch
Enough reason already really. Furthermore though
>no SELinux
>no hardening compiler flags
Additionally, there was the whole SSL certificate deal where they literally told the users to set their system date back. They then proceed to excuse their bad security practices by claiming they're so busy with other stuff they can't maintain their distro.

1st isnt a reason
2nd only prtially
3rd idk enough About
4th ssl certs have nothing to do with security of an os

>Manjaro
>Stable
Manjaro somehow manages to be less stable than Arch (though I haven't had much issues on that front in Arch)

I don't understand why someone would pick a fake Arch distro over just using Arch.

>Just Werks ™
>Convenient utilities built in
>A bit more stable than Arch
>Easier to install
Fyi I had Arch but went back to Manjaro

>unironically installing the worst distro ever on a thinkpad
Fuck you OP, a thread & a thinkpad died for this

Because they're too stupid to read a wiki and copy/paste commands and cope with it using "well it shouldn't be that way to begin with!!!" even though Arch is built and maintained by people who subscribe to the "you should know exactly what's on your computer and what customizations were made because you made them yourself".

Then they go and "beautify" their desktops to the point of unusability for the sake of racking up (you)s in desktop threads and upvotes on reddit. But the actual Arch community has that exact same problem.

If you somehow break Manjaro you might be full on retarded

Wouldn't blindly copy/pasting commands into the terminal beat the purpose of knowing what's on "muh system"? What's so wrong with a gui installer?
>Inb4 muh bloatware

>A bit more stable than Arch
It's the opposite in my experience. Manjaro actually managed to be less stable by bundling the updates.
>If you somehow break Manjaro
"Breaking" Manjaro isn't the issue, but how they handle updates. Arch just werks and if there's an issue, there will be a message on their site. With Manjaro, every once in a while their update bundle caused some shit and you had to check their release thread to see if it messed something up. It's pretty strange since the intention is obviously to achieve more stability but it caused it to be less stable.

manjaro is literally garbage, it refused to work on my old pc (dissembled it and made a entire new one) it refuses to boot into the fucking install on legacy mode and i even tried UEFI and it still never entered the grub bootloader but nooooo, i had to enter grub rescue from my usb and use it to enter my installed OS and not even after the manual fixing i applied to the bootloader worked, it's the only distro it happened to me and i used the KDE version

>manjaro
Arch for the mentally handicapped.

>using manjaro
>unironically
allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/

>Built a gaming pc
>Didn't want to buy an OS that came to hate
>Gaming on linux is getting better
>Already used linux so no problem using the terminal
>Don't want to tinker too much to get things runing
>Hear that Manjaro just werks™
>Try Manjaro
>Things indeed just werk™
>Can game pretty well

I was ready to buy and install winbloat if it didn't work but now using windows is more painful.

Great OS, would recommend.

>Yet another arch cope
By his same logic, any non-rolling release is "unsecure"

I don't use manjaro, i never had, i use arcolinux and archlabls, but i don't understand why you can like manjaro, you havo the arch goods points, with the ubuntu good points, and can enjoy a disto wich is made to made the esiare to use
I understand, but there will be these guies who "hu it's no arch by hand uh I need to say it becaucase uh"
I understand
Just enjoy and have a good time user

Antergos installer is developed by literal drooling retards, and it shows, but it's still better than manjaro

Ok sorry i'm drunk, just ignore

>On a fixed-point release distribution, security fixes are backported into your out-of-date software versions to maintain stability.
>On a rolling release distribution, you just release the newer version of the software that comes with most security fixes (some backporting from the upstream VCS is required if a release is not made).

This means both rolling and fixed-point realese are secure, but this article say that manjaro hold update without backporting security update, so manjaro is unsecure

Attached: 1499832977535.jpg (583x435, 56K)

>not cool name
I guess that's the case if you're a mutt who doesn't know geography.

I run Manjaro on a laptop I rely on for work. It's held up perfect for over 2 years but during the last update I had pamac crash on me while updating and had to chroot and fix it. First issue I've ever had with updates and it cost me a few hours. Be warned: stick with terminal for updating

Now realize that Manjaro maintainers want to full out replace pacman with pamac.