/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Everything PHP

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: 1501602119972.jpg (1604x1213, 1.71M)

Other urls found in this thread:

storybook.js.org/
stackroboflow.com
stackroboflow.com/#!/question/11261
stackroboflow.com/#!/question/22890
stackroboflow.com/#!/question/4781
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I need to make a website for a local restaurant. What stack should I use and what should I charge? This is my first gig. Would learning wordpress just to do this easy mode be my best bet? I only know MERN stack and python rn. Haven't done any hosting yet.

I would recommend a static site generator together with a headless or maybe git-based CMS, but I don't really know any built around Angular.
I know for React you have Gatsby and for Vue you have Gridsome

Dude just get wordpress and slap a free theme to it.

they said to not say a word to the press, though.

Not but I'm about to start making websites for local businesses using WP.
Will people seriously pay you just for adding a theme to a WP site?

Is it a good idea to do web dev as a hobby?

user here that wrote about startup. A refresher:
>filled out initial application ~5 pages of information ~1 hour
>built a project for them ~1 hour
>spoke with hiring manager ~1 hour
Hiring manager said there would be two more interviews, which I was fine with. Then came 3 emails with different people for meetings. Scheduled 2 meetings on Thursday, another on Friday, then yet another meeting with CTO. I basically said fuck that(pay was horseshit -- minimum wage), no way I was going to waste time, so I didn't show up to the meetings.

I just recieved an email after about a week of since I ignored them:
>We're sorry, but after careful consideration, we're going to pass you up [...]
>pic related
Who the fuck does this company think they are?! They're going to try using this now as "we denied X amount of people", or whatever, when I clearly fucking ghosted them. Should I reply telling them this?

Attached: 1547797108619.jpg (472x840, 45K)

Sure, especially if you like building things and are capable of learning by yourself.
The web is a very interesting platform to build things on.

they probably just sent you the same template email they send everyone else

Maybe. I kind of want to out them as a shit company to not interview for.

People want websites all the time. They want changes to their current website almost as much. Once you get contacts, the website jobs just keep coming.

holy fuck. Starting a fullstack site, and I've forgetting most of everything.

How do you guys find local businesses/whatever to develop websites for as freelancers? Cold contact?

so long story short, I've finished coding a webapp for a client and they want me to install it, problem is, they're delaying my payment until a few weeks from now and I was supposed to give it to them and also get paid in a few days

what excuse can I use to tell them I need more time? I hate them but I don't wanna risk damaging the relationship by telling them the truth, since they pay really fucking well despite being so stuck up and volatile

Talk to people and make business cards. What do you do exactly?

Developing my personal website that will be used to also show off my skills for potential employers.
Right now I only have the frontmost page with intro + featured portfolio items planned. What else should I look into?

Thanks. I'm a freshman in college and am interning at a local company (in the business intelligence department).

Mostly was curious about the freelancing thing because I'm from a pretty small town and frankly a lot of our businesses' websites look like they're from the early 2000s.

So you don't want to give them the app until they pay you for it? Tell them that. What's the problem here?

Is there anything similar to Storybook for vanilla JS/CSS/HTML?
storybook.js.org/

im learning about loops this is too much for my tiny brain lol :( but i will keep trying >:)

Can someone explain shit like gridsome to me? I've normally built web applications in a monolithic SSR style - typical PHP application that checks a request, reads from a database, processes the information and renders it using a template. I've also built rest apis and used Vue to consume them. What exactly does gridsome introduce that the latter doesn't do - why would you want the interactivity of a VDOM like Vue, when you're not consuming regularly updating data? What does it solve that pure Vue + rest/graphql does not?

Attached: msc33.png (300x500, 83K)

It's just server side rendering, but for vue.
If you just look at the site it explains all the main points.

uh weblet here
if I do python -m http.server on a directory and want to show it on 4chinz is there some way to post link (IP) without exposing my IP? Is it actually dangerous to post my IP here, what can happen? If so is the only simple option to upload it to gitlab/bitbucket as website? I read they only support static sites, not sure what that means, if something works on the simple python server will it always work on gitlab as well or does the python one support more things?

I've been unfortunately rather busy, but live thread updating on Maniwani has been finally polished off and merged. If you compare pic related to the original video I made on live updating (), you'll notice the dynamically-updated thread on the left now properly inserts and lists new replies made to posts in the thread, and post reply previews from dynamically-added posts also work as expected. I'll finally get a break from studies starting this weekend, so since I've already merged the changes, hopefully they'll find their way to Futatsu by the weekend.

Attached: 2019-03-14-031136_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 547K)

How do I learn "actual" javascript. All these shitty classes make you go through all the syntax, even the basics. Is that really all there is to it? Or am I missing something? I'd rather learn how to integrate JS with a website/framework like django.

That's DOM manipulation stuff.
But it's pretty useless to know how to grab parts of the DOM if you can't run any functions to do stuff to it. So, you gotta know both, obviously.

I personally would not share my IP address on Jow Forums, as anons are known for mischief. If some has your public IP, they can DDOS you or get your geo-location to varying degrees of accuracy.

A static website simply means you have a server that simply sends files when requested, and said files do not change. This is in contrast to:

- "Server-side rendering" which has a smart server to render the website on each individual request before sending it off.

- "Client side apps" which have the client do most of the afore mentioned rendering on the clients PC. Like serving static files, but instead of giving them say a hamburger, you are giving them the meat, buns, cheese, and saying "make it yourself"

Hope this helps.

Hope

Didn't link you because am goo brain in the early AM hours. Ref my previous reply.

Wait do people really use WordPress in 2019? What the fuck

>not having a job

If I wanted to make a webgame in 3d using canvas in 3d, what are some good engines/builds to look at?

>jobs that use WP

Lmao, That would be like having a job making video games in fucking RPG Maker, Fuck outta here you brainlet

Attached: 1538423458478.jpg (487x496, 102K)

Im employed dealing with PHP LMSs and even I cant imagine having to work with fuckin wordpress

>being a NEET

Attached: 1547507565488.jpg (480x480, 20K)

>WP tard roleplaying cause he knows nobody would ever hire him

Attached: 235252523525.jpg (590x393, 103K)

where's the line between web 2.0 and web 3.0?

Well yeah, but the syntax is 90% of what I've seen before, and as I said, all the courses start from the basics. I don't want to waste 4 hours on stuff I already know.

What are static websites that shit like GatsbyJS is useful for? Just websites that don't retrieve any data or do it only once and then don't update? Whats good this shit for lmao

Attached: 1541816120850.jpg (780x846, 53K)

you mean like any type of forum, imageboard, blog, shop, or landing page?

yeah i dunno why you would ever want those

And exactly what won't you allow to create them in a "normal" React app? Also forum and Imageboards update data everytime someone posts

if you dont understand a technology maybe you shouldnt shit on it and say "lol who would ever use that" because it makes you look like an idiot who doesnt know what a static site is

Please explain then for all of us retards

$14/hr. /wdg/. Top fucking kek.
>why did my website get hacked?

Attached: hire_them.png (592x432, 75K)

>Whats good this shit for lmao
You may not have realized, but Indians aren't really accepted here.

>jobs that use WP
Would be a marketing company, not a software company.

How Azure/AWS actually works? I have no knowledge about pricing and configuration. Which is the cheapest way, the rent a VM and configure my computer to host my site all by hand? Or there is a service that makes everywhere almost automatically?

Where can I go to learn more about it?

There are udemy courses for serverless

Has anyone using React Hooks on your projects now?

Are they even out

>React Hooks
yeah, makes code look cleaner and you can do some crazy stuff with custom hooks.

>Hooks
>hooks

why are they called hooks? aren't they just callbacks

It's specifically pre-rendering, not SSRing each request like would be a typical case with a Next/Nuxt site.
It basically aims to be the Vue equivalent if Gatsby.

Just keep in mind, that between
>pure Vue
>Nuxt
>Vuepress
>Gridsome
one isn't the best. While they have lots of overlap in what they can do, they still excel in certain areas.
With Gridsome or Gatsby it's pre-rendering a bunch of resources (often some kind of CMS content) into finished pages and components, that can be displayed right away in the browser.
For example a blog, where you pre-render each blog entry, a restaurant site with a bunch of info pages and their menu pre-rendered, etc.
Lets say the client or website owner wants to make a price change on a menu item. He can change the item on a headless CMS (like Contentful, Prismic, etc.) or even a hit-based CMS like Netlify-CMS, that lives directly in the same repo of the website and it will trigger a re-render updating the necessary pages.
All without needing an active server in the background, that would cause continuous costs and had to be maintained by someone, like you would with Wordpress.
>why would you want the interactivity of a VDOM like Vue, when you're not consuming regularly updating data?
It's just for (pre)rendering the initial view.
You probably still continue to use Vue just as normal. Lets say the restaurant page allows you to order some food, then the interactivity is still handled by it.

yeah I don't know either
>useState()
>useEffect()
the naming is pretty weird

Hi this is your mom now

>copy pastes your code
>redesigns entire website and charges 10 dollars for it

What do you do Jow Forums

Attached: IMG_1134.jpg (480x360, 26K)

Speaking of this, any idea where I can download websites templates. I had a huge pack found on a french pirate website years ago but I don't have it anymore and the website doesn't even exist anymore.

I want to live the Pajeet life.

Attached: 200w.gif (200x200, 44K)

s&s

>php peeps i follow
>always tweeting about projects they are currently working
>tweets about actual interesting stuff

>js devs
>gets into heaty argument with mundane shit
>muhh soft skills
>has pronoun in their bio

it really makes me think

Backend in general requires way more skill than frontend so you get less cucks

at work my giant projects overwhelm me.

feels like I need to work on 3 areas at once. I make changes in one area and that requires changes in other areas or everything breaks.

Not sure how to track this. Like I need to work on this one page, but I need to know what I changed so that I can change it on other pages, but if I go to work on those pages it makes everythting confusing.

holy fuck im never going to make it

in which way?

So React Hooks allows you to use state in functional components...Nice but...why not just use class based components if you need state?

Attached: 1547585670529.jpg (1113x640, 55K)

Welcome to software development. Touching one thing could break another.
This is why separation of concern exists.

You're a fucking moron.

he is right tho, making a basic simple site with React is piss easy

user still thinks he can make a website and people will flock to it and he'll make passive income. As if that's realistic these days

>I have implemented a backdoor into my code, if you copy my code straight as it is (I embeded the backdoor right into some vital parts of the project) I'll have remote access to your server and I'l be able to remotely delete your site.
>alternatively same as above but with an actual cooldown that activates on copy of the site and that wipes the whole site if you don't desactivate it.

Off course I have no idea how to do that lol, or do I, bash would be my weapon of choice, since it is also my only weapon in my case.

Attached: 1539462823216.jpg (1243x1143, 424K)

update: no I have no clue how to auto execute the thing, but I know how to make it so if you execute it it will fuck your shit up

Attached: 1531001932221.png (578x588, 588K)

html + css

Lets say i am making a website for a local restaurant/pizzeria/whatever, should the menu be loaded from a database or should it be hard-coded into the site? I mean a database is additional $$$ but easier to update the data with it instead of pulling the site, changing it, and making it online again

Attached: 367373467.jpg (477x477, 41K)

Yeah, well I have the technology director asking me what's taking so long yet I'm re-developing an entire product without even knowing the codebase. Also it was developed super shit, like there is a for loop that adds to a variable to count how many elements are in an array when count() exists lol.

So I remove a few page elements, great, well now I have unused CSS to remove that is the rest of the page layout so that has to be fixed, then there are 13 included js files with event listeners on those removed elements that I know have to remove, then there are php pages that require certain form fields that I removed that I have to go through and clean, all while upgrading all the logic because the new sdk doesn't support it. 3 different sdks. whaTS TAKiNG SO LOnG?

statically generate the new menu pages, whenever the data in the CMS changes

To the user that helped me yesterday, I changed the regex to @".*userId=(\d+).* and worked perfect.

This, make a mini CMS for menu adding and removing items, and having items be displayed in one or other category, and alter the order of items manually. Offcourse, charge them extra just for that, let them know what's up.

Would making a login page for the site that when accessed to be the employees gave them the possibility of changing menu items be a good idea?

Would be a must, since it's a security feature it should have, didn't think about it, but yeah, you should definitely do that.
Tell them there are two options, hardcoded menu, no change or change by request to you, and CMS that they can update the menu with.

off course one option is more expenssive than the other... and if they choose change the menu by asking you to, then you would charge for each change.

HOOKS + CONTEXT.API make using React fucking comfy which is something i'd never thought i'd say

Attached: 2838523985.jpg (602x800, 69K)

Yeah. Started to get serious about this and get on fiverr to see pakis and poos doing entire website work for the price of a pizza. Learning to code is a meme. I need to just learn how to copy paste instead.

Attached: IMG_1089.png (268x188, 11K)

Either start going locally around your town/region just asking people if they don't want a site or just find a job, you don't have to be a freelancer in webdev, the possibilities are endless

Can someone please tell me why the FUCK won't this simple todo list with Hooks + context work?

Attached: 25253253.jpg (1920x383, 273K)

>excited to start using firebase in a webapp
>turns out only importing the core functions and the firestore package already adds 360KB to the bundle
can't there ever be nice things?

Attached: 1536782087576.jpg (780x780, 50K)

just fuck off with that firefase and firefuck shit

wansn't the last thread enough?

rude

Firebase is shit but firestore is B A S E D

Attached: 1542803757601.jpg (640x459, 127K)

>rxjs
>reactive programming
what's the point?

being a reactionary

This is a site that uses a neural net to generate questions based on StackOverflow questions:
stackroboflow.com

Some of them are excellent:
stackroboflow.com/#!/question/11261
stackroboflow.com/#!/question/22890
stackroboflow.com/#!/question/4781

Shit, didn't mean this to be a reply

Well it's too late now, isn't it?

lmfao, good shit, keep us posted

Attached: 1550169903444.jpg (1920x1080, 219K)

Not my site, just reposting from hackernews

I have a question guys, i just got asked to do a mini project for a job offer but, i'm not sure about what this exactly means: ' for the Backend we prefer a functional approach as we don't maintain any state outside the Databases.'

it just mean that i store pretty much all the data on the db?, but what about the sessions?

You could be snarky and say
>I was absolutely banking on that minimum wage paying job for skills and talent that clearly deserves more
>Give me another chance and I'll pass up this other job offer I got that's gonna pay me right and I'll come crawling back to you guys
>I swears it

Ask them. My code test is similar. Very vague. I think they want you to ask questions because the worst thing about hiring developers is a lot are afraid to ask questions. Both places I have worked at have bitched about it and fired people who didn't ask questions.

>$40,000/yr
>remote
>erp dev
>40 hours per week
>actually only do between 20-30
>top-tier quality of life
>work is easy af
>all web-based, yet no web-dev
>tiny bit of server-side JS, but not nodefaggotry
>pretty much static
>skills for this sekret klub are extraordinarily transferable and salary rates skyrocket exponentially
>only dev in team
>tfw junior dev

>no web-dev
So you use WP then or what?

webdev retard here
How do I make sure someone can only download a file after they click a button on my website?
It's a gay ass website with a simple "download" button, but I don't want people to be able to download the file by finding it's address or something
Is it solvable by simply using permissions? If so, how should I set the file?