>step one
dualboot win7 and mint
>step two
game on win7, mint for everything else
>step three
profit?

Attached: win7.png (1031x611, 377K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vwpkk&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop
microsoft.com/store/apps/9nb9srtl2kpt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

have you ever tried dualbooting yourself? in theory it should be a great idea but it's a massive pain in the ass restarting just to get back to work or just shitposting in 4chin, you eventually get lazy enough to settle on one os and delete the other one to make space
it just doesn't work

I boot from an SSD anyway, waiting ~30 seconds to get back to work doesnt bother me too bad, I just check my phone while I reboot.

OR install LTSB and use WSL for all the freetarded points.

honestly using a VM inside linux w/gpu passthrough seems like a more efficient use of your time

>step one
format your drive
>step two
install gentoo
>step three
run windows xp in virtual machine
>step four
gpu passthrough
>step five
plé gaym

Bollocks.
You kids have no patience these days

>step one
install win10 to comfy gaming
>step two
install a vm and use it on top of win10

Brb installing W7 on all my homes devices at OPs suggestion.

Attached: milk.jpg (570x597, 76K)

How does one do this?

google what that user said and you will know how

its got to the point where is is less hassle to run os on different laptops.

Dual/ triple boot s always fuck up eventually

Although I'm happy this exists, it doesn't make much difference in the long run.
LTSC is still worth using over 7 for the better memory management and driver support for 7 is dying whether you like it or not.
Ryzen already requires workarounds to install Windows 7 and eventually both Intel and AMD won't support it with their chipset drivers.

Our real only hope is DXVK keeps improving so we can use full linux installs for everything.

>more efficient use of your time
if that concerns you, maybe drop gayming altogether?

Why not just get a kvm switch and a lightweight computer/mini-computer for mint then?

>Ryzen already requires workarounds to install Windows 7
No it doesn't.
Not any more than having a RAID Array.
All you need are USB3 Drivers.

The workaround is for getting UPDATES on Windows 7 with a Ryzen, because M$ blacklisted it.

That's Microshafts fault

I takes 30 seconds for you?

this is nice and all and even though I've used 7 until 2016 I unironically think w10 LTSB is better than it in every way

I don't know about Ryzen, but Windows 7 will blue screen during install if the ACPI tables aren't filled in correctly. It's currently a really bad problem on recently released dell machines, and some other manufacturers.

The idea is that I spend 90% of my time on mint or whatever distro I feel like using at the time, then maybe once a week when I feel like gaming I switch over. I think dualboot works fine for 9:1 usage splits like that.

I've never sat and timed it, maybe 30 seconds to a minute? I really don't have a lot of apps installed.

In what way?

This

i do
i used to stick purely with linux because i found using wine was easier than booting into windows to play a game
now i only have windows around for solidworks, not much i can do about that, but i'm sure as shit not staying in windows just because of that
if anything, dualbooting is easier nowadays with hibernation and ssd's making switching really quick

agreed.

this but install Arch instead of a joke OS

the absolute state of Jow Forums. or perhaps it's just a street shitter working overtime

This 100%. It's why I permanently moved to Linux. Muh games don't even matter because there aren't any good games that you can't already run by default or in WINE/Proton.

>Dualbooting in the era of VMs
eewwwwwww

VMs add lag, the whole point is I use windows for gaming once in awhile and I didn't buy a 144hz monitor just to give myself 10ms of cursor delay
Wine doesn't always work and, for me at least, causes frame drops on high system load

Figure out Wine and you can game on Mint, too.
It's pretty good now actually.

Dual booting is ass. I'd rather not have to switch between OSes because I want to have a quick one.

fpbp, dualbooting is the definition of "sounds good, doesn't work"

>what is kvm
>what is pass-through

Attached: 1517639533771.png (218x231, 6K)

You run a Mint VM inside Windows, my friend

>he has a CPU with AMD SVM/Intel Vanderpool Technology HARDWARE-BASED VIRTUALIZATION ISA EXTENSIONS ("These instructions permit entering and exiting a virtual execution mode where the guest OS perceives itself as running with full privilege (ring 0)")
>he has an OS that can run the little remaining amount of software required for virtualization in real RING ZERO
>10ms
lol

Nah he's right

Whatever you do dont get a bad KVM switch that doesn't support mice with 1000 hz polling rates. I'm still mad.

>Step one
Install Arch/Solus/Litteraly fucking any distro with up to date graphics drivers
>Step two
Install Steam and Proton to play your games
>Step three
Profit more?

Absolutely fucking based, would much rather just run LTSC on my desktop and GNU/Linux on everything else.

Gaming KVM switches when?

>Wine doesn't always work
Lutris and Steam+Proton seem to work fine in most cases.

>step three
game on win7 vm with gpu passthrough, arch for everything else
>step four
grow up and out of games
>step five
profit

It's fine. I have devuan on a cheap SATA SSD since devuan is lightweight and fast, and W10 on an NVMe drive since it's a bloated piece of shit (somehow it still takes longer to boot than devuan). Switching OSes is trivial, takes maybe 20 seconds tops.

>step one
install win7 at home
>step two
get a real job and install whatever the fuck does the job for you on work machine (actually mint for me)

>profit?
now THAT was a meme *sips*

Attached: 1530993406100.png (380x349, 77K)

That's a problem with the APUs iirc 2600 and 2700 and X CPUs work fine after the chipset install

just install barrier

I have 2 dedicated computers, a mac for work and windows for fuckery. I also have an external bootcamp drive, and also a windows VM. I play some games on the Mac when I need a quick break from work.

Can you use an xbox one controller on linux through bluetooth?

I mean it would be weird if Linux was fine with it but 7/8.1 weren't

>mint brakes
profit?

>install Gentoo
>???
>profit

>using a VM inside linux w/gpu passthrough
this is what I do, works perfectly as long as you have the right hardware and configure it properly. there are tons of guides anyway.

>VMs add lag(...)I didn't buy a 144hz monitor just to give myself 10ms of cursor delay
if you go for a gpu passthrough setup and configure it properly there's barely any difference in terms of performance.

Alright I'll give it a shot

it's just that wine doesn't run my obscure eroges decently

I don't know.

I could install win7 perfectly fine on an XPS 9560, which had an i7700 series cpu.
I just upgraded last week to the XPS 9570 with i8700 series CPU and win7 throws the ACPI error during install.

Not sure what makes the difference, the laptops are so similar.

What reason do I even have to use any version of Windows beyond 7?
I literally can't think of a single reason.
Even security updates are pointless since 80% of CPUs on the market (Intel) have a major security flaw that exposes you to INSANE risk.

>What reason do I even have to use any version of Windows beyond 7?
when dumbcunt companies make their DRIVERS only available on the windows store. applications I can understand, but drivers are critical for getting hardware to run correctly, and making drivers exclusively in UWP format is aids

Which dumbfuck companies do that?

dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vwpkk&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

>This package guides customers to Microsoft Store to download the Waves Maxx Audio application

A 10mb .exe that simply opens a link to
microsoft.com/store/apps/9nb9srtl2kpt

You are all a bunch of fucking retards. You are on the technology board praising bums and hobos like Stallman and Terry yet you can't think outside of the box. Windows 7 will eventually have """"DIRECTX12"""" support because a Vulkan wrapper is already on the works (hint VKD3D - D3D12). You little fucking bitches need to understand that wine shit is windows binaries, you don't need a lot of effort to run it natively on Windows bypassing the dreadful need to install mega$hit spybot++10 run software designed for children.

Attached: 1552528475688.jpg (300x500, 217K)

Right now the only possible way that you can get hacked via IME is by a nation state who would have to expend a decent amount of resources to do so. They're not going to do it to spy on your waifu collection. Meanwhile security holes are a way that any script kidde could infiltrate your system. Do your updates.

What a cultural phenomenon...people getting this passionate about a ten year old OS.

>step one
dualboot Gentoo and OpenBSD
>step two
game on Gentoo, OpenBSD for everything else
>step
profit?

Dualbooting is easy and makes recovery of the other os easy from the still functional linux partition. However I tend to just have multiple machines, a Windows one for games, and a Kubuntu one for everything else.

Loonix is a meme. Dualbooting is not worth it unless you simply want to learn about linux.