Is Jow Forums excited for their new laptop?

Is Jow Forums excited for their new laptop?

omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/pinebook-pro-linux-laptop-coming-soon

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.27.34 PM.png (748x606, 271K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.lacpdx.com/thinkpad-p52s-20lb0028/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no word on keyboard, into the bin it goes

No, I think I'll stick with my x200.

>no trackpoint

THEY HAD ONE JOB

If they could make this same form factor, price, and everything else with an x86 processor, the pinebook would be fucking awesome. The ARM processor that they include on these things are underpowered as fuck, and certain applications won't run on ARM based systems.

Isn't the point behind ARM processors is that they are highly efficient and really don't need that much power. That is if you are running native applications . I think more applications will be compiled for ARM architectures in the near future because x86 has sort of run its course.

Their performance is awful. The new chromebooks with arm have an 8 minute boot time for debian, even the native arm build.

Cautiously optimistic but trying hard not to get my hopes up too high.

Buy a chromebook.
>certain applications won't run on ARM based systems.
Maybe you should reconsider buying a low-power nu-netbook if you want to run your epic Adobe memes on your winshit operating system.

Attached: 1551213858781.jpg (1920x1730, 323K)

>Don't buy chromebook because Adobe has cucked me into using Windicks

I was actually just thinking about looking for a laptop to install Linux on because I'm getting a bit weary of my x220. I agree, though, put an x86 in it and let me fly

Better yet, put the Ryzen 5 2200G in it with the vega graphics.

If you're using the Adobe suite, and you're doing it because you're obligated to by work, you probably ought not be using a low-power dual core with a shitty integrated GPU and 4GB of RAM. Since you're getting paid to do so, you can not only afford to spend money on a proper dedicated work laptop with windicks on it, you can also write it off on your taxes as a work expense if you're an American, I have no idea how europe works because I'm not. The purchase of a proper portable workstation instead of a low-power netbook will likely contribute more of a quality of life for your professional pursuits. If you're using the Adobe suite for personal reasons like a babyducking loser, get lost, dumbfuck.

Either way, this laptop is not what you're looking for, and you don't belong in this thread.

Attached: dsfargeg.jpg (800x450, 52K)

Already have an msi laptop for adobe, but it would be nice to have one that's not made by a suspicious company that's got the dick of the worlds most intrusive country up it's ass

>that's got the dick of the worlds most intrusive country up it's ass
ARM is based out of Britain, which is a five eyes state. Rockchips are manufactured in China, which is a beast and a half in and of itself. That said: don't do personal things on your work laptop, keep your peas and potatoes separate. Maybe you ought to buy one but keep your work adobe usage relegated to its own gay baby jail on your MSI, and do your personal shit on the Pinebook? You're going to have to compromise something to get what you're looking for.

Attached: 1549986721053.jpg (268x188, 13K)

The whole fucking point is to use ARM, retard

x86 absolutely sucks for mobile applications, this thing will get similar or better batterly life out of a absolutely tiny battery

Jokes on you, this thing is packing a 10000mAh battery. If it doesn't get over 10 hours of battery life I'd be actually shocked. It's 90% of the appeal of the damn thing.

I'm excited for it, only thing really missing for me is a wwan modem, being tied to sketchy wifi is a pain, even with vpn's

Doesn't Adobe make native ARM ports of their software?

>4GB of RAM
>64 GB of eMMC storage
Trash time.

I have been reading some opinions lately, mainly persisting fallout from the Bloomberg fake Supermicro story, where people are saying that hardware spying devices are probably not something to worry about. Though it is possible it is far easier to create and distribute malware so that's the type of low hanging fruit that any bad actors would go for. How close to reality do you think this line of logic is?

Why you are using more than 4GB of RAM is beyond me
There is a 128GB option and an unpopulated M.2 slot

Why would I need to give up my XPS 13?

>2019
>owning a "new" laptop
its like you were born retarded

You can get adapters no?

You don't need pinebooks. Just get a RHEL ThinkPad from IBM

Well, I know IBM makes 'em and ships 'em with RHEL, because there are plenty of internal IBMers that have them. However, I cannot find them for sale.

But I did find a third-party :

shop.lacpdx.com/thinkpad-p52s-20lb0028/

They'll sell you one with CentOS 7.

There. Done. A decent laptop with Linux preloaded. Will be compatible and run well.

/thread
/shilling

>10,000 mAh battery

>chink chip design
Hell no.

You don't compile for an architecture, you compile for a platform. ARM isn't just restricted due to compatibility configurations, it's just shit on desktops in the same way that x86 is shit in embedded systems.

And what the fuck does "run its course" even mean? Diminishing returns are impacting pretty much everything, just because ARM vendors finally bothered to look beyond ultra low-power embedded systems and try to bring it up to spec with traditionally desktop/server-only architectures doesn't mean it's the key to kickstarting Moore's Law again, especially considering most of the current solutions in the higher end market for ARM are just nothing but brute-force solutions built around weak ass corespam.

I believe him. When I had a Laptop with 8 GB, I would regularly max it out from all the office applications, PDFs, and browser windows I had open. This was before Firefox became extremely bloated too.

If you can’t see a use case for one of these I don’t know what to tell you ther than maybe you’re not thinking even a little. Chat client appliance alone would be good use for it

If it's really $200 and has no hardware faults sure.

Why do we still have these dumb mini function keys AND the Fn toggle?

I bet 16:9 did this

It's as if you can't even think

no nipple
no good keyb
flimsy design, trying to compete with thin designs, also inherently bad design, but whatever sells right?

fuck people, srsly.
thinkpads are the only laptops worth their salt

Attached: 1546753989805.jpg (320x311, 17K)

This. No nipple, no buy.