Why haven't you learned how to use the most powerful piece of software out there?

Why haven't you learned how to use the most powerful piece of software out there?

Attached: emacs logo.jpg (474x474, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/mnbNo
youtube.com/watch?v=JWD1Fpdd4Pc
triplebyte.com/blog/editor-report-the-rise-of-visual-studio-code
albinoblacksheep.com/tutorial/mspaint
emacs.dev
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I prefer solutions that don't require 3 keyboards with dual layer macros to do even the most basic shit.

You can slap a vim compatibility layer on it (if you like those keybinds) and it'll work without a hitch

theres NO reason NOT to use emacs

Yeah no reason. Except for actually having a job and wanting to get shit done instead of shitposting on Jow Forums about the church of emacs.

why do none of these editors ever have native support for alternative keymaps? the developers spend autistic amounts of time trying to make using qwerty efficient but you wont learn a new keymap where keys are in more efficient places?

but I already know Vim

What support are you looking for? Almost all Emacs (and Vim for that matter) bindings are mnemonics. I use dvorak without any problems, a lot of keys are even in arguably better spots.

Because I want to use a text editor, not a bloated piece of shit.

I'm waiting for it rewritten in pure ANSI Common Lisp, the superior most powerful language. I will likely wait another 30 years.
archive.is/mnbNo

Attached: Kizuna.AI.full.2240778.png (2966x2427, 1.28M)

M-x footcheese

Because I'm still learning to unfold the full power of Emacs.

do you realise how powerful it would be then? no programmer would willingly make their computer super skynet

Emacs is just straight bloat. I think GNU/Emacs will become an OS before GNU/Hurd. sam and ACME are far superior.

org mode is how i live, emacs is how i interface with my computer, and gnu/linux is the plumbing

it is unbelievably powerful

also, all the idiots calling it bloat are dumb and just ignorantly spouting memes from their win10/macos/kde/gnome DEs

Why try and make inferior software act like vim when I could just use vim?

Anything emacs can do that vim can't, can be done better by a separate program.

>m-muh bloat
>m-muh suckless editors

Bloat is having unnecesary features. Since Emacs only has the features you want, it isn't bloat.

Why wouldn't I just use the terminal to run my commands?

perhaps in pure isolation, but that's not how a computer is used. you don't have to leave emacs to do anything, so while it may not be best at anything, it is the best for everything

>sam and acme
>suckless editors
You have five seconds to run...

why bother starting up a terminal when you can just launch commands from emacs?

I cant get autocomplete to work on spacemace like in vim with ycm any tips? Should I just ditch spacemacs and start from scratch?

Yes you should
Spacemacs is bloat

Why not just use tmux and multiple terminal applications?

I'm gonna learn using it

Friendly reminder that Emacs is pretty much the oldest end user software still in common usage. It's much older than Vim (which is not the same as vi). It is the first piece of software for the GNU Project, and the GPL license was invented for GNU/Emacs. Emacs is most likely the oldest application software you can install from most distro repos.

If RMS didn't write Emacs, GNU and Linux wouldn't exist.

Emacs is basically a collection of text editing scripts that has been shared, refined, experimented with, and improved over 40 years by countless users. Of course nothing can compete with it.

I did. Its ability to easily manage I/O of the running processes is totally invaluable. I can take any program with a crappy inconvenient interface (ncurses-based, for example) that runs in a terminal and write a simple wrapper around it, which allows me to send any desired input to it without interacting with it directly. And parse and reformat the output in the way that suits my current needs.

I like the vimtards' confidence that they are using superior software.
educate yourself faggot
somehow emacs, which is bloat, has the same runtime size as vim...
yet emacs, the bloat you spoke earlier, has more features, more extensibility and is more agile to working on different environments, tui and gui.

exactly, that's why you are using emacs as a text editor

didn't have a good time with emacs. console lagged really hard, sometimes didn't even let me scroll. but i wasn't using it under ideal conditions (gui version on windows 7).
few months later i tried vim in xfce4-terminal on linux and instantly got hooked. my vimrc is getting to 100 lines
i guess i didn't give emacs a fair go, i'll learn it eventually.

because ed is the standard

Because the most powerful tool isn't always the most sensible one to use. Like using a nuclear bomb to kill a single person when you could just shoot them.

If I'm ever typing so much text to justify using something like this I'd rather reflect on how did everything went so wrong in my life.

>the most powerful weapon to bomb people is not the best weapon to kill one person
>thus the most powerful editor is not the best tool to edit files
is there anything dumber than vimtard?
it doesn't even come pre-installed on many distros.

lmao this
>The virgin "this software has a plug-in for vim keybindings"
>The Chad "Emacs has this software functionality available as a package"
Plus to the "muh minimalism" shitposters, emacs life is minimalist. You only have to use 1 (one) software.
You can even put emacs in your .xinitrc and use EXWM

No other editor will be as good unless it uses lisp as a language. This is a fact.
>features are bloat
Time to go back to cat-v faggot

Most people at my job uses emacs. c++ programmers

>slow
>bad semantic syntax highlighting
>bad and slow autocomplete even vscode faster
Why, Mr. Anderson, why?

Posts emacs logo.
Says most powerful software.

Well, which is it? Pick one.

dumbest nigger in the hood.
there are something like 100 different packages for highlighting and autocomplete,
most of them use llvm which is what everything else uses,
>bad

>slow
yeah, I run it on an asus eeepc with the atom clocked at 100mhz. i don't know how much slower your shitbox is.

see for yourself.

there's climacs, which is mostly common lisp

> there are something like 100 different packages for highlighting and autocomplete,
And they are all a piece of shit.
> I run it on an asus eeepc with the atom clocked at 100mhz.
Run and work different things.

wow, very specific vimtard arguments.
both on the code profiler and the different things.

>what's your problem sir
>the thing that I'm doing is not getting done
>have you tried the other thing

even according to the vs code's official documentation, vs code in unable to even distinguish overloading in c++ but it's superior to the 100s of different profillers/parsers that emacs has support, even the llvm profiler that everyone else uses.
let me guess. >emacs bad

is there any competition between you retards on who's going to post the dumbest bait?

> dumbest bait
All this thread is bait.

Get a load of this pleb

Your job is probably serving coffee to the skilled programmers.

Attached: emacs-interview.png (854x642, 146K)

>the average emacs user

Attached: u6TRyb7m_400x400.jpg (298x298, 14K)

this seems made up

>the average emacs user

Attached: .jpg (415x629, 36K)

It's a joke. Look at reply No.940798

Attached: 4236524627.jpg (1280x720, 57K)

Because I'm a brainlet.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

xah is an autist, take what he says with a grain of salt

triplebyte.com/blog/editor-report-the-rise-of-visual-studio-code

emacs has some insane defaults though

elfeed and org are good though

If emacs was so superior it wouldn't be trying to be vim all the time.

And emacs is boat because you have to install a metric ass load of packages to get it up to base install vim functionality.

@NPC70168200
you literally only need ONE package to make emacs to work like vim
5/10 got me to reply

Key binds != text editor, stupid vim boy.

so how do people use this as a WM when installing a package fucking hangs the entire program for the duration of the installation?

No, emacs forks bash process and does async IO.

the terminal emulators in emacs ARE slow, there's nothing you can do about it, unfortunately.

>Being this retarded

Thats not IDA Pro, fag

Because it doesn't run Doom.

The whole point of emacs is extending it with packages and your own elisp code.

Which is fine and one of the coolest parts about emacs, but the guy I was responding to was acting as if comparing vim and emacs' executable sizes mattered when they are so drastically different before extensions.

Correlation != causation. Using Emacs doesn't make you better; better devs choose to use Emacs because they know it's better.

If you aren't choosing to use Emacs right now, sorry. You're one of the inferior programmers and switching to Emacs won't make you better.

Vim user:
>My editor's defining characteristic is its default key bindings
Emacs user:
>My editor's defining characteristic is its extensibility

Vim users are like people who choose to use a particular web browser because of the key bindings it has by default even though it doesn't support extensions.

I love how you don't understand that how you interact with your text editor is literally the only thing that matters.

It's super cool how you can do all sorts of non-text editing in emacs. But I have other, better, dedicated programs to do that.

>emacs
>editor
lol no

>Why haven't you learned how to use the most powerful piece of software out there?
But I know mspaint quite well, even the hidden features like albinoblacksheep.com/tutorial/mspaint those. I you who don't know.

>you don't have to leave emacs to do anything
Why should I care about this if I'm only looking for a good text editor? I can already do everything else I need to outside of emacs. I could see your point if it did everything else much better than dedicated programs, but I somehow find that very hard to believe.

This. Unless writing in ELisp actually rewires your brain.

Then just why not use vim at that point.

Can it do non-shitty font rendering in its GUI? Everything I've tried the last time I used emacs looked like blurry garbage so I couldn't really get into it.

its a nice OS, but it really lacks a good text editor. For now ill stick to vim.

I love how you think that Emacs is a text-editor.
Emacs is much more of a lisp-interpreter rather than just a simple text editor, and can pretty much do anything you need it to as long as you have a good enough understanding of how to program in elisp.

Why are you using vim if it's a bad text editor?

you might be right, ill guess ill just use nano

I'm sure emacs doesn't lack nano emulation either.

Attached: hardtruth.jpg (2332x912, 1.92M)

I have a lisp interpreter and a text editor I don't need one that does both poorly you stupid faggot

Do you use vim as your text editor? Then why are you saying that it does text editing poorly?

it's only as poor as you make it to be, retard.

What editor to use on windows 10

notepad++

Read the post again and apologize for being stupid

Whatever kid.

Claiming that emacs edits text poorly is equivalent to claiming that any text editor which emacs can emulate edits text poorly. So you are literally claiming that vim is a shit text editor in your post. Now reread my post again in case you don't understand something and apologize for being stupid.

check out

emacs.dev

Attached: 1552534552293s.jpg (250x250, 6K)

Why would I use eMacs when vi is already installed on every distribution?

Attached: 1532338557067.gif (500x375, 371K)

You don't use any programs not preinstalled on every distribution? And I highly doubt you even use vi as your main text editor.

Fuck you Jow Forums. I'm barely starting to learn how to exit vim and now I gotta learn emacs too?
I tried installing spacemacs it took me half an hour to do anything and I was constantly messing up.
When will I even learn how to actually program?
Fuck you retards. You are ruining my life.

Why even use the bloated garbage that is spacemacs? Just install evil-mode if you want vim emulation.

anyone here use spaceline with emacs? I tried to use spaceline-all-the-icons to get icons on the modeline but everytime I follow the implementation from the github it just gives me a blank bar for a modeline. I don't know if it has to do with me using EXWM but all I want is nice all-the-icons graphics on my modeline

I use vi[m] because I unlike most of the people on Jow Forums I actually interface with linux for work. SSHing between dozens of devices and doing things. Emacs is cool and all but its bloat and I'd rather not compile it on every single device, some of which I don't even have the rights to do that.

It's cool though, use your program and keep being cancer on Jow Forums by making threads about it. I don't give a shit.

Don't. Learn the real shit first. You're talking about doing car modifications before you learn how to drive.