Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QM1iUe6IofM&t=2360s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Unreal Engine C++ is not even like normal C++, its even worse

let me guess,
you like python.

>C++
>OOP
Don't confuse C++'s poor excuse for classes with OOP.

You forgot to mention RTTI, which UE heavily relies on.

What makes a vocal subset of Jow Forums so buttblasted about these two?

The fact that it leads to a mess of a system.

What exactly is OOP then? Encapsulated message passing between data sets?

yes and?

It would be better if it just had braces and wasn't written on top of C.

It's the first shit you get taught at compsci

>The problem with object-oriented languages is they've got all this implicit environment that they carry around with them. You wanted a banana but what you got was a gorilla holding the banana and the entire jungle.

>I find OOP technically unsound. It attempts to decompose the world in terms of interfaces that vary on a single type. To deal with the real problems you need multisorted algebras — families of interfaces that span multiple types. I find OOP philosophically unsound. It claims that everything is an object. Even if it is true it is not very interesting — saying that everything is an object is saying nothing at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=QM1iUe6IofM&t=2360s

Attached: 1539394135605.jpg (1024x1004, 60K)

C++ is a multi paradigm language. If reading a bunch of copy pasted quotes saying nothing more than "me no like OOP" has given you a distaste for it, then don't use it

What is the issue here?
Aside from the naming of the functions, what is the problem with enheriting nearly finished class so you can make your own functions?

real OOP is a cult see java, ruby, c#.
C++ is a multi paradigm language.

reach feature-parity first, which is impossible.
C and C++ are here to stay and there is nothing you can do, except if you have atleast 50 billions dollars to build the alternatives to pretty much everything worthwhile in existence starting from the language (rust is DOA).

>then don't use it

It's more about how certain people have taken its functionality and just run rampant with it. It's like a goddamn religion.

C can stay. C++ brings retarded ideas to the table.

I agree but it's here to stay because it would cost way too much to replace current C++ code.

>UE heavily relies on RTTI

well, that's a red flag for me.

go back to monkey-coding then.

unreal is chink tencent botnetware, of course I would not want to use it.

I have been saying this since the 80s. Duh. Wake up, sheeple.

TOPKEK

Attached: 1470088831446-1.png (640x974, 266K)

>C++
>naming your headers .h
why the fuck do they do this

>SICP

ahahahahahah

Why does it matter?

because C and C++ are not 1:1 compatible and .h is for C headers

.h is for headers

Unreal Engine's utilization of c++ is one of the worst there is.
It forces code to be extremely macro heavy and encourages bad code style to interact with the engine.
The engine is so bloated that intellisense takes 20s to update its syntax highlighting and because they use a unity build system you have to wait upwards of 10 minutes to recompile everytime you change a single line of code.
disgusting

Attached: D07U51DU0AEZynr.jpg (640x920, 55K)

>I find OOP philosophically unsound. It claims that everything is an object. Even if it is true it is not very interesting
what the fuck is that even supposed to mean? is OOP supposed to be some action-packed experience or something? its fucking programming

Default unreal engine code is dogshit

>OnHit(...) //called when projectile hits something
wow, thanks.

Attached: epic coding.png (1026x771, 40K)

Who gives a shit man? Nobody sensible would ever use pure C and C++ compilers in the same project.

Unreal Script was the best

Sure thing. Here's your source code bro

Attached: ForestGenerator_CreateGrid.png (1467x905, 319K)

do does you mom.

whatcha gonna do about the standard library? it doesn't even have an extension

Idk why you guys are so fucking retarded OOP is a key part of the industry to solve problems but there are currently fucking dumb ass infidels that think using OOP everywhere is good, it's not but OOP itself isn't bad it helps a ton by abstracting things like generic code, polymorphism and such it safes a ton of work and helps to write cleaner code (ding ding less costs to maintain the code) how can one be so dense here? open your god fuckin eyes and try it out for REAL

Jow Forums is full of contrarian morons, you won't get through to them.

you just answered yourself, there are the extension-less std:: namespace wrappers for libc

>generic code
>polymorphism
none of these are related to OOP, you can have those in every fucking paradigm.
Way to show how ignorant you are

What i dislike about OOP is the religiousness it's often surrounded in, like it's the only valid way to structure your code.

Also I don't like the idea that objects should be modeled according to real life things, that's often not reasonable in practice, but that's probably a problem not inherent to OOP itself, but to how it's being taught.

>none of these are related to OOP
you fucking retarded? these are key parts of every OO program

these are key part of programming.for the last 50 years.
Kill yourself Rajesh

What's the alternative? Can you even build large scale programs in game engines in a functional paradigm? First of all, is it practical? Secondly, what are the performance impacts?

What's the alternative? Can you even build large scale programs like game engines in a functional paradigm? First of all, is it practical? Secondly, how will it affect performance?

>itt: brainlet who can't understand OOP

Functional isn't the only alternative too OOP.
Large parts of game engines actually do avoid OOP. Objects aren't cache friendly, inheritance obscures control flow, etc.
The functional paradigm will not necessarily affect performance, it's just that the current functional languages aren't as bare metal/able to make up for all the abstractions.
Finally, Functional and Object Oriented aren't orthogonal.

The critical part of game engines are written in C-style procedural code by passing pointers to avoid copying data.

>What's the alternative?
Simple modular code written as an API in mind is inherently more superior than using any programming paradigm. The divide and conquer strategy of modular programming makes the code more readable and reusable.
There's a reason most API's use a C interface, it makes the code more portable.

Functional, OOP, and procedural code are only abstract descriptors. Frequently you might use many in one project.

It's still a flawed approach though, it brings in more problems than what's supposed to fix, you'll still end up passing pointers and references around to mutate state and avoid expensive copying anyways, the OOP paradigm only makes sense with immutable and shared data, but a that point plain functions are better anyways.

>t cnile

They didn't understand that cat-v are a bunch of retards and shouldn't be taken seriously.

C is complete shit, it has been so from the start and doomed computing for 60 years.
C++ isn't a good language either, but it's much better than C. Almost everything wrong in C++ is due to having to keep backwards compatibility with C.

>pairing data with functionality is bad because UE4 is a pile of shit
okay buddy