PowerBook?

Does anyone here daily a PowerBook, share some experiences here anons

Attached: lookscomfy.jpg (683x1024, 351K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dz/ir_black_emacs
github.com/kostafey/organic-green-theme
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I own quite a few PowerBook G4's. Debian Sid makes them quite usable in the current year, but I always wind up missing the trackpoint on my Thinkpad, so I go back to that.

Attached: IMG_20190314_083915758.jpg (3072x4096, 1.73M)

>Huurrr duurrr I use old as fucking technology

Attached: 1550952636707.jpg (400x400, 26K)

Attached: 1541727890485.png (400x1650, 367K)

/thread

The color theme is rather comfy.

no sorry, I've always been straight.
it's weird now that I am thinking about it. The only one who has a macbook at work is the gay guy.

Odd are you still use the wheel on a daily basis user.

yeah I would like to find it too, looks like some mix of blackboard and railscast hmmm

I guess that's the default terminal theme for OSX / default .Xresources or whatever it is called on OSX.
It looks familiar at first glance.
I don't know where to find the theme tho.
And I'm not autistic enough to look for png captures and grab the hexadecimal colors from there. I used to do that stuff when I still riced my desktop but I "grew up" / got bored of this.

haha me too user, had the same problem!

I settled on ir_black, reminded me of those old Snow Leopard days when I was starting to code on my parents iMac. Switched to Emacs tho, but I still fire up Sublime or BBEdit for ol times sake just to have fun :)

>ir_black
do you use this one github.com/dz/ir_black_emacs ?
I use moe theme because it comes in light and dark, and I use a shortcut to toggle between light and dark theme

yes yes, slightly modified it, mode-line, company etc etc... As of light themes I use organic-green, I was never a fan on light themes, always wanted to pull my eyes out, but this one is different, it is really nice when working in bright environment

github.com/kostafey/organic-green-theme

yea yea moe is nice one, but too much colors for my taste, I don't like rainbow-puke-like themes

Thanks for the recommendation.
But low contrast themes look like garbage on my memepad display.
Light themes are useful when the sunlight reflection make my display otherwise unreadable

I have one just like that. I haven't turned it on in probably 5+ years though. That pic is basically what my average workflow looked like.

TextMate was great, it was the (Mac-only) precursor to Sublime Text. That's where a lot of Sublime's features came from, like multi-cursor support, the entire snippet format, etc.

I want to get into this sort of hoarding

based

I stopped dailying a dual 450 mhz g4 tower in 2012. My 1.33 ibook g4 (fuck me, they were cheap but now i need to replace the hdd) is almost usable with tenfourfox and umatrix. Sadly the titanium ibook is broken (something on the power/charging bit gets warm enough to make that side of the laptop painfully hot)

Attached: G4s.png (815x612, 380K)

Windows user spotted.

>iDIOTS

Attached: 1548748163309.gif (500x491, 376K)

I'm waiting for them leave the state of 'too old to be useful, yet too new to be retro.' Maybe they'll be worth something one day. Who knows.

Attached: 15525882721826291375753051526040.jpg (3072x4096, 2.48M)

I mostly just use a 1.67GHz PowerBook G4, but I also have a 12" G4 that is only the 867MHz model. I use a G3 Lombard for OS 9, and I have a 1400c, too.

>too old to be useful, yet too new to be retro
This is painfully accurate for a lot of old crap I have laying around still.

I have a 12" G4. Got it almost for free to play with PowerPC assembly and OpenFirmware.

Hold onto it if you can. I used to own tons of cool old stuff that I threw away too soon, and eventually wound up being worth something.

Do you use the 1.67 GHz model for day to day tasks?

Jesus, how new are you? Its always the newfags who dont understand the board culture and yap stupid shit out of context

>those ports
Apple used to make consumer focussed functional products

>it's a mactoddler manchild thinks he or his manchild fruit toys will ever belong on Jow Forums episode

Attached: 1535386126721.jpg (1280x720, 140K)

Apple never made functional products

Attached: 1544937945462.jpg (1632x1224, 309K)

Yes thank you for proving that apple never made functional products by showing us an apple product made after they started making the battery's non replaceable you fucking stupid zoomer

The only thing worse than a mactoddler is a macboomer.

Attached: 1529102007219.png (686x955, 468K)

thanks for proving his point by using images with filenames starting in 15/uploaded after 2017. stay retarded.

Attached: 1259289759220.png (295x200, 6K)

Lmao based

Bought a powerbook G4 in 2005. I miss that keyboard. It was a great laptop. After it stopped receiving updates i threw Lubuntu PPC on it. It ran great til I sold it in 2012. Back when apple was awesome.

powerbooks are cool mate
name another way to use a powerPC at a reasonable cost you fucking brainlet

Attached: 1552419336445.gif (480x368, 2.36M)

The Apple III was a failure in the sea of successful mac products in the 70s and 80s.
Your point?

based

If this is what it appears to be (an A1181), it was a model that did have a removable battery.

>zoom zoom thinks Apple was always bad
>probably doesn't know what NeXT or POSIX is
Winbabies go back to

Attached: cheshire cat smug.png (516x501, 430K)

Realistically speaking how much will a gentoo install take on a 700MHz iMac G4? Rescued one from the curbside a few months ago and I haven't got around to doing anything with it besides dusting it, fixing the cd drive, installing 10.4, and getting a keyboard for it. It's an early model so finding fully compatible distros has actually been pretty tough.

The last good mac had a Motorola processor in it

>classic mac
>good
MacOSX on PPC was peak Apple.

I hate apple, however, I would buy one of those ppc old computers, just for curiosity.

A wii, a ps2, a ps3, AmigaOne, any old Intel computer with ppc....

I had a G3 just for that reason, but it crashed suddenly one day while I was browsing the internet.

>Intel computer with ppc....
you fucking what

Yeah except none of those are a "real" computer. Why install a desktop OS onto a ps3 when you could just use one of these?
Apple hate has its place but these are a great (and one of the only) ways to try out PPC hardware without paying a shitload

I have a P-P-P-PowerBook, it's pretty comfy desu

Attached: power.jpg (1280x960, 135K)

What made the PPC actually good? I hear it's efficient compared to others in those days, is it true?

>old as fucking technology
Maybe you should brush up on your English before you start insulting people you retarded frogposter.

Attached: this_is_what_you_do_with_frogs.jpg (258x195, 12K)

PPC was a steaming pile of shit and took 5x more power to do the same thing as x86. It's hilarious how brain dead appletoddlers did a complete 180 from singing the gospel of PPC to completely shitting on it as soon as Applel switched to a real architechture.

Attached: 1531448750468.jpg (996x954, 319K)

>PPC was a steaming pile of shit and took 5x more power to do the same thing as x86

I'll take "things I pulled out of my fucking ass" for $6,000,000.
Efficiency went to shit with the G5, yes, but even then, I don't think it held a candle to how inefficient netburst was.

Keep street shitting Prakesh. BlowJobs went so far as to fake benchmarks to damage control the shitheap that was PPC, and by extension, macshit.

Attached: 1521803724198.png (610x1054, 160K)

I have an old titanium powerbook g4 but it won't power on, still want to fix it somehow someday

Maybe there will be a need for the older tech again one day...if we are to get away from the control of Silicon Valley.

The biggest kikes taking away your freedoms are Applel themselves. Their goal from the very beginning was to kill freedom. Jobs was literally a sandnigger.

Attached: 1541806227418.png (1378x1591, 711K)

Yes. And they used the NSA with the current crop of technology to do it. Not PPC or older Win9x systems.

Retro may be the only way to break the surveillance hold.

AAAYYYYYY SUP OP

Yeah i got a 1.67ghz 2gb ram Power Book G4 with a 64gb SSD running ubuntu mate PPC. Its totally usable as a daily driver. Got a few others in various states in storage. I take it out occasionally.

Still nothing beats my 512gb 2011 Debian Mac Air. I take it everywhere. My desktop x58 Xeon mobo died a few months ago and now i use it for everything. Hooked up to my Big TV and *tb drive. No regrets i have gone full Mac and am loving it.

Attached: IMG_6082.jpg (3264x2448, 1.61M)

see

Here is a better pic of this PowerPC beauty. Its remarkable to think how unbottnetted it really is.

Attached: IMG_6077.jpg (3264x2448, 1.32M)

see

>Retro may be the only way to break the surveillance hold.

This is another reason why I hoard ancient computers. I figure anything manufactured before 9/11 is likely free of deliberate backdoors.

This case is acceptable for Jow Forums since it involves using unsupported Macs past their prime with or without Linux. That sort of thing would trigger Tim Cock.

Just use Debian with a lighter desktop.

>macshit
>acceptable to Jow Forums
see

I was literally responding to him, you incel.

Attached: 1549883829812.jpg (766x690, 106K)

Real niggas remember this

>hoarding
>one small pile of laptops on one shelf
get on my level.
i have 2 whole rooms full of computer shit you cant even walk.
cool wallpaper

PPC wasnt good, but netburst was fucking awful, abysmal, so fucking bad that the "megahurtz myth" video exists because of it.

>Turning off hyperthreading
It was just for security, he knew about spectre and meltdown decades in advance thats how genius he was

>Its remarkable to think how unbottnetted it really is.
It's still vulnerable against Spectre, though.

last g4 powerbook was the best laptop i've ever owned, neck to neck with x220

Damn that's a pretty thing.
How come the bezels on the PowerBooks looks more modern than the MacBooks today

>PS2
Emotion Engine is a MIPS processor

>Yeah except none of those are a "real" computer
The AmigaOnes are

Because Apple themselves are sheep.
When PC makers said laptops need to be think to house all these components, Applel asked: how thick.
When PC makers said laptops need to be thin and more components need to be moved to the screen to save space, Applel asked how thin.

Attached: 1546022198784.jpg (499x356, 16K)

Those are overpriced, underpowered fanboy/boomer bait that just repurpose outdated industrial chips and put them on customized but pretty lame cases, so it's just adding up old Apple and new Apple's cons up.
Also the PS3 isn't a real alternative with the amount of (non-upgradeable) RAM it has even if it does have pretty decent clocks for PPC, you're going to get more out of it by applying the new softmods there are out there.

he's just aimlessly sperging about apple

Yes, it's my main laptop. My desktop PC is a 2GHz iMac G5.

see

Grow up, winjeet. Go play a video game to calm your autism.

see

HT on the P4 barely added performance, it usually harmed it

got any 1.67s for sale? been looking for one for a reasonable price ($100 or less)

Country?

US / Texas

Oh, I could have sold you one in Australia.

no worries mate

Attached: https___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_190311123719-kangaroo-attack.jpg (1200x675, 97K)

that screen looks pretty crisp

see

>70176534
> seething this hard over people tinkering with old crap
No (You) today, sorry.

>people

Attached: 1533096046030.jpg (996x954, 299K)

I could sell you one, but I think you might be be better off just buying one on eBay. I buy these things for roughly $15-$20 / piece in lots, when they're listed as being untested.

You can turn that feature off and boot whatever you want