Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: groceries!.jpg (236x327, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

learnxinyminutes.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_time
chromium.woolyss.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

where did the loli OP pics go to
bring back the lolies

Here's a stupid question!

Looking to make my low-end PC running a "Free" Windows 10 OS as streamlined and efficient as possible, to hopefully boost gaming and general performance.
Any suggestion of programs that will comb through processes and allow you to halt random Windows 10 bloat-ware (Skype, Cortana ect) would be great, or suggestions to improve my performance are welcome.

I can give you Specs if you need, but to put it simply: I have a low end APU (AMD) and have a small SSD which has helped massively with running certain games.

I don't care if I have to run games at 30fps and I've accepted my place at "Low settings" for any game.

Attached: IWantYouToFixMyProblems.jpg (620x960, 95K)

Post speccy.
Install windows LTSB and disable telemetry, Defender and updates.

>using windows without security updates
F

>Implying windows is secure with or without updates
If you need them just install the cumulative update pack.
Even with no updates around windows update service uses a huge amount of resources doing nothing.

can you watch a 1080p youtube video on one computer and play multiplayer video games on another computer with a 5mbps down and 1mbps up internet speeds at the same time? or will i get buffering/lag?

This is a very broad question but any sort of input will be appreciated. In what ways can malware affect your computer's hardware? I have a junk laptop my old room mate let me have that is riddled with viruses and lord knows what else. I did a factory reset but it still doesnt perform as well as it should given its specs. What are some ways of trouble shooting what could be damaged? I imagine I will have to access the BIOS but I am a mere pleb when it comes to this stuff.

Is it a good idea to reinstall Windows 7 with only 9 months until MS pulls the plug on it?

I'm scared of Windows 10 and don't want Linux.

Attached: images.jpg (134x134, 6K)

So I'm wanting to finally go into programming but I'm not sure where I want to be; a computer engineer, network security, computer science, etc. It's a lot to decide so I was wondering what most people here are doing and if anyone has advice?

Just the two I thought might be important, and I also have that small SSD I mentioned, which I know runs faster than my older/shitter HDD.

That's an APU by the by

Attached: Specc.png (425x69, 4K)

>junk laptop
You said it's junk, it could be overheating which can slow down the cpu. If you're paranoid about viruses then DBAN your drive and flash the bios.

Void or Arch, and why?

My S8 just updated to Android Pie and I want to kill the man who made the lock screen notifications more or less iOS lite, is there anyway of changing it that doesn't include an app to change the lock screen back to how it was with Oreo?

Attached: WhatsApp Image 2019-03-14 at 21.27.44.jpg (778x1600, 58K)

Void if you want an installer and don't like systemd.
Arch if you don't care about these.

First, get a standard calculus text and dive in. You should also get linear algebra and discrete math books as well; make sure the discrete text is proof based.

Once you're a couple chapters in to your discrete book (you will want to have covered basic proposition and higher order logic, and basic proofs), you may begin learning programming and computer architecture. As a litmus test, if you don't know what this statement is

∀P((0∈P∧∀i(i∈P-->i+1∈P))-->∀n(n∈P))

you aren't ready to take the reins of a computer.

Now, forget what you do know about computer programming:

First, you learn boolean logic operations
then, you learn transistor logic
then, you learn how to build functional units from logic gates
then, you learn CPU design
then, and only then, you learn assembly language
then, after you have mastered assembly language (not dabbled, but mastered it), you learn C
then, after you have mastered C, you may learn the higher-level languages of your choice, but you will always use C and assembly as your primary languages because everything else is unnecessary bloat.

By this time you should be finished with your first wave of math and ready for the next: abstract algebra, analysis, multivariate and vector calculus, and, after you have progressed a way in those, topology.

Finally, you become familiar with topoi, and study the internal logic of categories
then familiarize yourself with (general) type theory, and its applications to programming. I also recommend studying how to reformulate mathematics in terms of globular categories for use in automatic theorem proving, because there is an inherent programming-like 'feel' to it.

What information does the CPU time of a process provide? Specifically, why does CPU time tend to be included in process monitors? In terms of resource management, I don't understand what benefit there is to knowing its value.

>Ryzen 2200
That is not a bad CPU.
Install windows LTSC instead because LTSB doesnt like Ryzen APUs.

Everything should be running smoothly.

I can't see why not, you could always download the youtube video's you want to watch beforehand so you don't clog up the connection and keep most of the bandwidth for you game.

You still have 9 months where you can practice with Linux in a VM.
If you can't get used to it, you can always use windows 10, I think it's pretty good honestly.

>So I'm wanting to finally go into programming but I'm not sure where I want to be; a computer engineer, network security, computer science, etc. It's a lot to decide so I was wondering what most people here are doing and if anyone has advice?

Pick a language that you feel interested in (maybe you know about C# from Unity or Python from Ren'Py for example) and just start learning it, that's what I'm doing although I'm learning a language that is more aimed at web development (javascript) since there are a lot of jobs here that request it.

Most languages work around the same way in terms of content (as in what basic building blocks are inside of it) but some things are different between them. In Javascript you have your primitives (basic information like: strings (words), numbers, boolean (true of false), null (empty) and undefined (different kind of empty), variables (var, let and const for javascript), functions (make it do something programmatically like count from 0 to 1000 and print every odd number to the screen), arrays (multiple variables in a single list) and objects (think arrays but with a name of the content for each variable).
A lot of languages allow you to add premade program segments called libraries to it and call on them to do certain things.

Have a look at this so you can see how a lot of languages are structured: learnxinyminutes.com/

I think it's best to look up what kind of languages are being asked for the jobs you want to do.

How long it's working on something and taking cpu process time away from other processes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_time

No.
5Mb would be enough to affect both.
And 1Mb up its only enough for one PC.

I have a lenovo Ideapad 110-15IBR. I realize that its memory and cpu are soldered but would it be possible to change out the entire board? Does anything else fit it?

Attached: babiesFirst.jpg (406x500, 24K)

>236x327
Sashga OP

Attached: illust_21581856_20190314_164349.jpg (421x585, 121K)

is there a difference between pip3 and python3 -m pip?

here. My psu is 255W. So is GT 1030 the best option ?

I think that's as good as it gets with such a low power PSU.
Is there a chance you might be able to get a 400 watt PSU ?
You'll have more options for upgrading then.

Alright, so I set up a server running Openvpn, and It works, got the signing and connections working, its great, but when I'm on my work network, my phone just downright refuses to connect to it, at first I tried switching ports from the default to 443, thinking it could have been a firewall issue, but still nothing. What am I missing? I know other VPN's work, but is there something I configured?
(I talked to my employer and he's fine with me doing this, so long as the work network doesn't have to change

Attached: NordVPNHere.jpg (474x315, 10K)

Is Windows 10 meaningfully better now than around release? Have they improved the amount of options buried under worse UI? Is the UI more consistent now? Do they still push Candy Crush on you? Is themeing support for it comparable at all to the userstyles available for 7? Do they still break on every update? Etc.

Setting up a new PC and wondering if it's time to give up on 7 finally.

What is the rest of the build like?
You have 2 options a GT 1030 or a RX 550.

No, No, Hell no, yes but you are supposed to use the enteprise versions that come without it, no, yes see 1809 deleting files without asking.

What I did was start with a low level language, (C/C++) that way, you have a feel for the hardware, and the massive scope that programming can provide, and it makes going to higher level languages (Python, Go, Ruby, arguably java) easier.
learncpp.com/
Is an amazing guide, even if you have 0 programming experience, the lessons walk you though setting up a compiler, and encourage good habits, and you don't need to login for any of the content (except commenting, but that's not really required) which is a huge plus for me. As far as what you want to do? Depend's on your interests

He is using a SFF build with a proprietary motherboard so no easy PSU upgrade.

Also if you are making a new build get windows LTSB or LTSC(and run cumulative updates) because while you can install 7 in a new build you have to do lots of manual fixes to get it working.

Why not use this opportunity to switch to Linux?

What's the easiest way to download videos from twitch?

Is it possible to run a 64 bit gentoo kernel on my 32 bit processor? Can I just recompile it or something to work on 32 bit?

Youtube-dl.

No.
Might aswell buy a new PC.

What cpu are you using that isn't 64 bit compatible ?

Intel 1600 or something, its my old T60.

>it works

Thanks, for some reason I didn't think it would for twitch

Attached: 1353629756837.jpg (240x320, 29K)

Attached: Godd.jpg (1200x1800, 345K)

Youtube-dl works in all sites that have a video streams in them.

user upgrade your CPU to a x64 one, Any Thinkpad C2D CPU is $5-10 tops.

Is there a way to custom add sites in Adaway on Android to be blocked?

For example a T7600 is $3-4 which is a 64 bit CPU, also way faster than your Yohan U1600 (?).

>4
I plan to eventually, just looking to have gentoo on it for now.

Disappointing news, but thanks for the heads up. I didn't really expect them to turn it around but I thought there was some hope at least :(.

I already do/have used Linux for years, and this machine will have an Antergos install alongside the Windows one. Just too inconvenient for me to only use Linux unfortunately.

You can also buy a T7200 for cheaper.
You are really limited when it comes to OS choices this days if you have a x32 CPU.

Just install the x86 version for now, but to answer your first question you cant.

>1
Where'd you find a $3 T7600? I only see them for 30.

Aliexpress, you can find the T7200 in Ebay for $2-5 for something with faster shipping.

Where can you get older versions of chrome, the new update fucked everything up,
72.0.3626.121 is the version i'm looking for

I have a 24 inch 1080p monitor, if i play a 4:3 video, how much of the screen screen will it take up?

66% of the screen.

so a 24 inch wide-screen would show around the same size of conent as a 16 inch 4:3, meaning a 17 inch 4:3 and onwards will be bigger for old shows?

An user told me that if it has a sd card reader and if your card is formatted fat32 it can read any size. Is this right?

>read any size
Could you clarify?
Fat32 has a maximum single file size of 2GB, 4 if it has large file support, if that helps

>old mainboard died, got a new one
>but no CD
>Windows wont boot anymore

Which one of these drivers do I need to install to get the HDD to boot ?

The inf one ?

Attached: 29138918248542.jpg (594x482, 43K)

Anything I should know about Feedly?
I need a feed aggregator and this looks like one of the few that are still supported, have a nice UI, and support RSS (which seems to be dying...)

Attached: 1514573520161.jpg (716x716, 170K)

Devices like an mp3 player for instance say on the box it will only take sd cards with the maximum size of 32gb. But an user said you can use sd cards of any size if formatted correctly.

there's SD, SDHC and SDXC in order of release. They are backward compatible but not the other way around (like putting a ps3 game in a ps2)
SDHC went up to 32gb max
SDXC is what most new cards use and can be much larger

mp3 player might be SDHC so that'll be a no to >32gb but it might not or you could have other options

Well, I don't know for sure, but I think I can help narrow it down:
>Audio driver - obviously not for an HDD
>Realtek - they do semiconductors, so hardware & such, but Lan driver makes me assume that's for a wireless card, so we can nix that
>Appcharger seems to be some sort of (Apple?) charging driver, I assume you can get power, so we can ignore that one
>VGA driver - Makes me think of VGA analog ports, things that deal with video output
>ASROCK 3TB+ - looks kind of like bloat at first, but upon looking it up:
>"ASRock's new 3TB+ Unlocker utility is a shot in the arm for HDDs, delivering state of art storage technology with user-friendly software" - Keep an eye on this one, could be it
>Instant boot - Looked it up, it installs a tool on windows that can modify the bootloader (Or something similar), it needs a working windows machine, so that's probably not the fix
>OC DNA - only page I could find was in spanish, and deals with saving/loading boot (?) configuration
>OC tuner - deals with system optimization, from what I can tell
>Cyberlink - seems to deal with filetransfer, I say just skip this one, even after you get the drive to boot
>ASRock - all these deal with things not related to the HDD (SATA would be a good one, but there's only USB, LAN, & RAM)

With that, it comes down to ~3, I don't think I can confidently rule out the remaining, 3

Attached: Update.jpg (594x482, 46K)

Anyone else feel kinda powerless over your online privacy, feels like any measure I take just isn't enough, and even if they were there's tons of info the media giants have on me from when I was younger and dumber. Death would be sweet release from this paranoia.

Wow, thanks alot man for taking the time to go through all this

Guess Ive gotta try all 3, have to install them through commands so I cant really see what theyre doing but I guess I'll see it in the end

Thanks again!

>I am enslaved by machines. But, like most slaves, I know deep down that I chose my fate. I calculated long ago that I preferred a life with mobile phones and computers to one without them. The price is high. It includes the loss of privacy, the unceasing availability to outsiders, the time wasted on the internet, the books unread, the conversations which never happened, the views from train windows that I completely missed as I checked my Twitter feed. I am sorry, but I am not that sorry.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

if you install an apk from fdroid without installing fdroid can you still get updates without manually getting the new apk? my friends dont want to get fdroid and conversations is paid on google store

Since i started using internet i have yet to use my real name or adress on it.
There is a facebook with my name but my best friend made in back in high school but it has no photos.

What are some old GPUs that were popular before that are cheap this days?

8800GTX

Your welcome, but I will say this, consider getting a windows LiveUSB (computer reads & boots from a usb with windows, not the HDD), that way you should be able to get a graphical way to install drivers, if that helps. Installing drivers through a command line can be a massive pain, at least on linux

You'll need to install Windows first before you can install drivers.
Did the computer have Windows 10 on it ?
Do you have a key for that windows installation ?

I understand, and I feel that way too sometimes, but, the way I see it, is if I make it as hard as possible for companies like google, apple, amazon, ect to get my info, they'll just go with the easier info, the people that don't use adblock, enable javascript everywhere, never delete cookies, ect. We just need to make it so that in the eyes of data companies, we're not the easy prey. Sure they could still probably find a way to collect info, but their not going to as long as the majority keeps it easy

How do I make use of libraries that aren't in the C standard library? I'm learning plz no bully

They don't need your name for a ghost profile tied to an IP address, which is tied to your or your family's real name with your ISP

Its definitly a pain, I'll give the program a look, thanks

Long story short:
>old mainboard died
>Windows wont boot anymore with the new one (obviously)
>uninstalled old drivers through commands
>but Windows repair somehow cant fix it so Ive gotta chose the new drivers manually and install them without Winodws/safemode booting

Is there a way I can turn a wireless adapter into a bluetooth adapter

>Long Story short

I just realised I stated the exact same things in the post before, fuck. But its 3 AM and Im tired.

Its Win 7 btw

Can you turn a prius in to a semi truck?

Not the guy you're replying to, but I've always been curios about this, how does tracking like that handle dynamic IP addresses? Say I reset my rougher, and my ISP assigns me a different IP address?

I would imagine that the hardware of bluetooth and wireless adapters are too different to make the change on a software level.
Although depending on what your trying to do, there could be a workaround using a wireless adapter

No but you can sure as hell bring the same amount of cargo in one, with enough effort

>No but you can sure as hell bring the same amount of cargo in one, with enough effort
So a prius can hold 10-20,000 pounds of cargo at one time?

Will there be any substantial difference between two models of the same GPU Chipset?

i.e. Gigabyte RTX 2080 versus Aorus Geforce RTX 2080.

Is the /spg/ - Smartphone General the place to go if I want to ask how to customize my phone or ask stupid questions about my smartphone? Or is /sqt/ - Stupid Questions a better place to ask?

So I have this broken down gaming laptop I got from cyberpowerpc a couple years back. The hinge to the monitor is completely broken, and the keyboard is trashed. Other than that the system works perfectly fine and everything is up to date with a GTX 970

I don't want to throw it away, so I came up with the idea of using an external monitor and an external keyboard to basically convert it into a makeshift desktop.

What I want to know is, has anybody tried this before? Does it work?

Attached: good_night.png (555x394, 152K)

Never said all at once, just said with enough effort, the same amount of cargo could be transported, with multiple trips, for example.

I had a laptop that was similar, a toshiba satellite I think, screen died on it, but I refused to give up, after a few hacked-together quickfixes, the screen finally went dead for good, used a monitor + keyboard, and it did work, wasn't Ideal, but I didn't have a desktop at the time, so I could work with it

why is ffmpeg complaining? not using 2pass doesn't solve the problem

Attached: 1538344356783.png (1788x722, 501K)

Why not? Many businesses now go with this model, laptop workstation instead of desktop.

They have a dock though, I doubt your laptop has one... but its okay. Better you get something out of it than nothing at all. Just make sure you set the display settings to Monitor only once youve got it showing.

Im not looking at your screenshot. if you want our help post your command and error text as text

Just finished installing a fresh windows 7, I haven't done this in a long time, what drivers do I need to get up and running? MB, CPU, GPU, Wireless card, anything else?

It's a gaming laptop so he has an HDMI port and multiple USB ports for keyboards and monitors and mice. The monitor is actually still connected to the laptop itself and works, it's just that it broke off the hinges entirely it only hangs on a few wires.

That aside, it's good to hear then I'm not the first to try this. With enough finagling, I should be able to just press the power button and use the external mice, keyboard and monitor to operate the laptop.

Go for it I say, but I would check to see if you can safely remove the laptop screen (disconnect the wires, but don't damage them)

I have the tools to do that. I haven't considered doing it since it could be used as a backup monitor or 2nd monitor.

Chipset, Audio, Video
AND 4.5 NET FRAMEWORK.

How do I burn a windows iso to an hdd on ubuntu?

When it comes to RTX yes because NVIDIA have 2 different versions, the one that is meant to run at stock speeds and the one that is supposed to be overclocked. (A and Non-A chips).

>What I want to know is, has anybody tried this before? Does it work?
Yes, just disassemble it and clean and repaste it and put it under a cooling pad for durability reasons.

is duckduckgo a meme or is it actually a redpill? Here's a free hidamari for your troubles

Attached: Hidamari_Sketch BD_720 Yuno.png (1280x1359, 1.97M)

use 8.1

I think it's good and use it daily, it's basically a non-tracking wrapper around Bing and other search results.

should i sell my tcl 4k, and downgrade to a Panasonic 1080p plasma.

Panasonic is p42st30

tcl is the 43s405

Best bet is get Chromium, chromium.woolyss.com/

In the market for a new mouse, what's a good price point to ensure that it's an investment that will last me several years without losing any button functionality?

Can I sell the windows key that came with my refurbed thinkpad? It says "no retail value", but surely can be used by someone, no?