18yo zoomer here. What was life like before apple invented the smartphone?

18yo zoomer here. What was life like before apple invented the smartphone?

Attached: C88BFD51-6C04-48FC-95C6-3537D61746BB.jpg (1253x1620, 504K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CFLRN61zVpk
youtube.com/watch?v=bZQUy-YvRAE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Slow. People would try to type words on a number pad. (t9word) And screens were so foggy and low-rez that most internet sites were unreadable. Lots of promises, but not much practical use.

Do you not remember being younger than 10

You had to type the same physical button 3 times to get one letter you wanted to pop up.

You had to wait until you got home to google something

Your creeper pictures were shit quality

10 year olds don't tend to get personal devices anyway

true

was alot better less normalfags
now every brainlet can acess internet

Attached: 1547467764969.jpg (483x589, 78K)

How is OP posting then?

Basically the same. Except more boring. Instead of using your phone while waiting you would have... usually nothing. Maybe a book, dedicated audio player, something like that.

Everything took longer to do and you needed more things to do stuff.

The only good thing was the lack of expectation to always be available to talk to and to instantly respond. That and the lack of things like nonstop access to things like gambling.

>brainlet

There are people who will religiously tell you that Apple did nothing to advance the smart phone.

Attached: Phones before iPhone.jpg (480x360, 11K)

>was alot better less normalfags

Actually I forgot this but its true. Theres still communities out there for autists but the normies creep in little by little. This place was lost to the normie scum long ago and is dilluted with normie shit. Problem is same thing happened everywhere else. Eternal September gets worse every year.

I had a guy show me his Blackberry and insist "THIS is what Apple should be doing."

Attached: 140501_phones_before_after_iphone.jpg (570x257, 116K)

We has less normies and third worlders on the internet

Same it is now, but before the phone was a tool now it became a toy.

Nokias were better up to the iPhone 4.
Before that, flip phones with num pads and t9. Websites had WAP versions 20 years ago.
It wasn't really that bad.

Toy = Can actually get it to do practical things like tell you where you are on a map, and find files from a long list.

Jow Forums is clumsy on a phone even today. I can't imagine it on a flip phone.

texting was so much fun.
Nokia was the best of best

You had options and it was fun.

Smoked cigarettes, carried around spiral-bound notebooks.

What kind of shit phone do you use?

There are iToddler subhumans that think Apple did anything other than blatantly steal and market to gullible morons.

Attached: 1541576347544.png (615x353, 153K)

I miss nokia

Attached: 510U+EBg9PL.jpg (467x500, 46K)

Its pretty obvious what he's shilling for.

How do you not remember retard? I remember mos shit until i was like 3. t. 18 yo zoomer

Humanity was living in metaphorical caves before Apple pushed them forward by centuries.

if the lg prada was so great, why aren't they still around?

Apple is a marketing company, and they're damned good at it. Also, LG does still make smartphones, they just changed the name, that's like asking why Apple doesn't make iPhone 3Gs anymore

its all about a companies ability to play the market/consumer in the end. your hardware can be great, your software can be great, but if you can't market it to make people believe it's great, you are the lg prada. you'll be forgotten. when someone who CAN play the market takes your idea, changes it, and sells it as "the first of its kind, ever. period.". apple doesn't make good hardware, they dont make great software, apple is a hype machine.

that hype lets them sell shit hardware at huge margins, so they can keep the cycle going. its why linux phones, privacy centered phones, etc haven't taken off. it doesn't matter if you can manage put a 1080ti farm into a smartphone form factor. if you can't make people want it, who gives a shit.

Who the fuck are you even talking too.
All that crap applies to the masses, but people who are actually in see through the shit like glass, which is why apple is getting BTFO daily.

PROUD
C U C K

Attached: 1533905514891.jpg (768x768, 150K)

Cameras were legit terrible quality
You had to pay for GPS devices
Pay for song ring tones
Typing is a pain because number pad but I think QWERTY phones existed?

This.

Attached: 1545549551653.png (868x834, 232K)

That is ridiculous:

Prada announced: December, 12 2006
iPhone announced: January 9, 2007

Are you suggesting that Apple designed the iPhone and had it ready for demo in UNDER A MONTH? The Apple announcement showed thorough and accurate details of how the phone actually worked. And it wasn't like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=CFLRN61zVpk

She struggles with the scroll bar and even needs help unlocking it. The thing does not have multitouch - the heart of what makes an iPhone great.

If anything, the LG Prada is probably why people thought the iPhone would fail.

Better.

Back to your shitting street Pajeet.

Attached: 1529793068004.png (854x1046, 544K)

You had to carry a backpack full of black and white MIPS shit.

>the prototype hardware running a beta version of an entirely new os more than half a year before release was buggy
Wow, shocking user.

POO IN LOO

Attached: 1548936531524.jpg (643x960, 255K)

Much the same.

see then see

point out where i praised apple you oxygen thief

> Phone wasn't ready to ship 5 months before it shipped.
Dumbfuck.

OMG, look at what a disaster this LG Prada was.

youtube.com/watch?v=bZQUy-YvRAE

Even though it has a touchscreen, it still defaults to t9word for sending texts! This is a YEAR AFTER the iPhone SHIPPED! And just look at what finally comes up for QWERTY.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 1.38.30 AM.png (910x903, 678K)

Did he steal those phones?

>Apple invented
Those things that you call "feature phones" these days were actually smartphones back then. We had O2-XDA running Windows CE, Palm PDAs/Phones, and Blackberries.
Mobile connectivity was expensive as shit, so people actually understood if you can't immediately respond to their calls/messages.
If you want to do anything more than calls and messages, you would have to wait until you can use your PC at home/work.

see then see

LG is currently hanging by a thread lately.
It's the phone every Youtuber and Reviewer but no real person owns one. A case of viral marketing gone wrong, because it's so obvious.

On the tech side it was frustrating.

Phones like Nokia E/N series and winmno had hardware and mostly software to do everything modern phones do these days but where crippled by missing few important features like push notifications and fast dormancy so modern services like whatsapp and being always connected in general where impractical.

>apple invented the smartphone
We had smartphones before apple. Mostly on Symbian OS. And those things were great, they had an actual software that is not vendor locked to the single market app and physical keyboard, so you could write message without having to look at the screen all the time, not to mention that you could write a message while it's raining outside

All you need to know is that before the iPhone and iCloud we didn't have leaked nudes of Jennifer Lawrence

phones were flip phone until 05ish then phones with slide out keyboards started becoming popular. But the software sucked. And PDAs existed and did basically everything smartphones do today. But instead of an app store like Google play you had to download it on your PC and beam it to your palm pilot.

The Internet was great, people actually had friends, way less sjw bullshit as there where no echo chambers. Apple ruined the internet and the world.

Attached: 1551603841648.png (1000x2000, 494K)

>The first iPhone was shit
and so were other "smart" devices at that time. All these "smart" devices didn't even have proper userspace / kernel land separation back then, and are prone to system crashes, but people just accepted it and moved on.

I had Windows CE PDAs with cellular. It'd crash after you ran certain apps and/or have certain amount of uptime. You have to unplug the battery, then plug it in again. Permanent flash storage was very expensive back then, so many early Windows CE devices came with volatile storage that'd get wiped when turned off. Meaning if the system locks up and you have to pull out the battery, have fun losing all your data and reinstalling everything.
Blackberries were slow as shit because everything was programmed in Java, and the OS would also crash from time to time, although less than a WinCE device. They were only reliable for emails, but people were more concerned with BBM.
Palm OS seems to be the most stable one, but I've only tried Palm Zire.
Then there was also Nokia with their Symbian and Maemo.

The iPhone actually pushed the development of modern mobile SoCs so our phones can now have all the nice things that used to be limited to server OSes (before they get brought to desktop OSes as well). Zoomers are probably too young to even remember that early Windows XP blue screens often.

Right now you are on the internet arguing about a 12 year old phone. Which of those people in this pic are you?

Used to bring my laptop on the crapper.

Chicks would still take pics you could fap too on facebook with their digital cameras.

But these chicks were also accessable because they didn't have hundreds of dudes hitting them up on apps.

It was a better time.

>find files from a long list
Is this actually what iToddlers deal with? All their files in a single massive fucking list?

Better. No instant messaging, no mobile email clients etc. Life hasn't changed much except that you're more available 24/7 which is really bad.

desu symbian was pretty comfy

Attached: nokia_x7_symbian_anna-820x420.jpg (820x420, 58K)

Phones were actually better then.
The biggest contribution apple did was popularizing app stores.
Before then, phones used the software that the phone manufacturers made and it was fine.
Obviously, I don't want to go back to a phone where I can't install good Foss apps, but back then, interfaces were effecient, the phones catered to the power users, and everything seemed to work together.
We had alarm clocks in our phones which was so useful, I still don't know why they got rid of that.
We had battery life for a week if you used it all the time, more if you didn't.
Texting was actually enjoyable and the phone assisted you instead of what we have today.
We also didn't have much to do on the phones other than communicate, plan and such. It was truly a simpler time.

A while ago I went back to an old Nokia phone and fucking hell it was amazing, everything you could want to do with a phone you can still do on this thing, it's comfy and the software on it was great

>before apple invented the smartphone
Right off the top of my head I remember the N95 preceded it by 1 year. And I'm very sure there were others before it, in the 90's even.

I had my first phone when I was like 9, dude.

Attached: Charcolatesmall.jpg (737x659, 132K)

The biggest and greatest thkng that happened in the jump to smartphpnes is that text messages would be saved and you could restore them back if someone called you.

You wouldnt how much time I
I wasted on my motorola getting calls that erased the sms I was typing.

Comfy
We were all playing shitty snake and car java games on our Nokia, some even multiplayer via bluetooth, sharing music that we downloaded on emule and limewire via bluetooth and infrared, listened to it through shitty 2.5mm jack headphones included with the phone, and texted our mom twice a month with an aweful T9 keyboard.
Plans were like 30€ a month for 60SMS and 30 minutes of call.

fun.
we actually spend our day doing things instead of taking pictures of food.

Attached: 1552454900185375738.jpg (750x728, 63K)

>the smartphone?

it's called the Parasite Phone and life was way better than the bullshit and horror that phone has spread all over the world.

degeneracy gone mad.

Symbian sucked balls for touchscreens. Nokia's software couldn't keep up with Android devices or iPhones. That's why they died in the long run.

Yes, but people who come to Jow Forums should't be thr kind that fall for this shit
I expect people here to call bs marketing out and seek the tech enthusiast products out
Unfortunately the industry has now moved towards not making tech innovation and just selling aestetics
Thats why my 2014 LG G3 is still perfectly fine as a smartphone
It's why my x230 thinkpad is perfectly usable as a laptop
If I needed renddring, compiling, gaming power I'd just upgrade my rig, thats where slivers of innovation are still left, in the pc parts
Even then gpus are now 'gaming' only and procesors are still barely any different in day to day use

Attached: HakaiShin.gif (847x432, 1.37M)

You can make a smartphone comfy if you want
Noone is forcing you to use social media
Get lineageos for os
Adaway as an adblock
Bromite for a browser
Clover for chans
Slide for reddit
Newpipe for youtube
Vinyl for music

You dont need anything else, youll avoid all the botnet and parasitic bs and get to enjoy comfy internet anywhere you want

it was better

phones had a button for certain things, and you couldn't change it. like a music button, a text messages button. phone would slide open and it was considered really cool. some people really liked blackberry phones, others liked the motorola razr

Attached: the memes write themselves.jpg (3074x920, 601K)

before smartphones you could walk down the street and, cctv notwithstanding, there was almost zero risk of being recorded or uploaded anywhere people could see.

Does somebody want to sell a Thinkpad x230t 3cell battery? I would buy it even when it's long dead.

Awesome. Symbian was King.
Windows mobile was a thing.
Blackberry existed.

Phones had 64 megs of ram, and they were faster than (((Android)))

Most people where not as fixated to their phones as they are today. Things actually got done and people where a lot less stressed

Attached: Steve_Cutts_Silicon_valley.jpg (1900x1094, 557K)

The same. We just used our phones for texting and did all rich media stuff on our clunky gray desktops.

he was right

it was freedom

Yes they do. All fucking zoomers do

They didn't

Attached: 812Te191ZfL._SX569_.jpg (569x569, 81K)

Your phone doesn't even have an accessible file system, ssh, or a terminal. Fuck outta here. Keep your toy.

>apple is a marketing company
this is such horseshit, any large company will try to do the best marketing they could do. most electronics manufactorers have a much larger marketing budget than apple, they're just better at it. i don't even like apple these days but the marketing argument is just sour grapes.

back before tim cook took over apple actually made overall solid products. yes they bought up tech (like any other large company) but they were good at buying the right stuff, making the right improvements and capitalising on promising concepts. they basically paved the way for several new markets and turned them from relatively niche gadgets/concepts to booming industries

> mp3 players
> smartphones
> the whole fucking app concept
> tablets
> digital music

again i don't like modern apple and all their shit practices, but they certainly had more going for them than just clever marketing when they grew into the fucking behemoth they are today

Attached: Screen-Shot-2013-11-05-at-7.29.24-AM.jpg (607x350, 30K)

Apple doesn’t make shit hardware. I fell for the android meme when I was young and stupid. When I bought my first iPhone I was infinitely impressed because unlike android it just werks.

Attached: 9C789629-629D-4A74-8FEF-F171ADA286F6.jpg (634x634, 55K)

HTC had the right idea before the iPhone
Never owned one, but all their windows mobile devices looked cool as shit back then

Attached: htc-tytn_00.jpg (500x433, 58K)

We slept better

>What was life like before apple invented the smartphone?

The Good:
>People had actual conversations instead of staring at their phone
>More social life, because no social media
>At concerts, sports games and other events people actually enjoyed the moment instead of being obsessed with selfies and attention whoring.
>No SJW culture, no overprotected childhoods

The Bad:
>Going on vacation without GPS was often painful, you had to deal with shitty, outdated maps and also needed someone reliable to read the map while driving.
>Getting information was kind of difficult if you weren't at home. No way to quickly check bus connections, opening hours etc. on the go. You just had to remember stuff...
The Ugly:
>You needed to carry lots of different devices to do the job a smartphone does. MP3 Player, cell-phone, camera...

Less pictures of thots with dog snouts on the net
Good times

I'm pretty sure the first nexus came out before the iPhone too

This doesn't even make sense. Apple has been marketing computers "for the rest of us" since the 1970s.

>Palm OS seems to be the most stable one
Palm OS was mostly stable because it deliberately limited what you were able to do. They knew the OS could not handle any serious multitasking, so you got single-task right up until the day it died. And even then it could be a buggy mess. I had a T|X PDA which worked fine, never gave me an ounce of trouble, but my Centro was just a disaster. Constantly crashed because they were just trying to make the Palm OS do too much.

I actually found the Blackberry that replaced my Palm devices was way more stable and reliable.

This is a pretty good summary, although I found that people used to shut themselves out more with newspapers and books rather than having actual conversations.

I had an HTC tilt and it was pretty garbage desu. Windows Mobile had a shitty UI and the touch screen response was pretty shitty since you had to physically press down on the screen with stylus. Also had an issue where opening and closing it can actually shut off the phone because it would it the latch for the sim & storage cards. Apple had the right idea for better touch screens and an intuitive UI but I still love having a full physical keyboard.

People thought texting wouldn't take off because it was so impractical lol

>You had to wait until you got home to google something
This, I used to keep a "lookup list" in my pocket notebook
Simpler times.

Fuck that, I had both a Treo 650 and two Moto Qs, I loved them both

Well I didn't. When I learned to read when I was 6 I always secretly read books at night when I was supposed to sleep. I already was a nocturnal person back then. The thing that changed for my was that I swapped my physical books to books and articles on my phone while still getting insufficient sleep.

iPhones have no market share in India; a literal fork of FirefoxOS is more popular
gargle on nigger cum you insufferable autist