>Learn how to build a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>List your uses e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors include purpose & graphics pairing
>NO Speccy or "bottleneck checkers"

Secure CPUs based on current prices
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (OC'able on some MSI mobos)
>1600/1700 - for non-gaming; worse for gaming due to slower memory latency
>R3 2200G - Light 30-60fps gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2600/X - Good 60fps+ gaming & multithreaded work use
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper - HEDT

RAM
>NEVER use only a single stick
>8GB - For very light use, and/or if you don't mind closing programs regularly
>16GB - Standard amount. If you have to ask if you need more, you don't
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2800MHz+ is ideal. Check "more" for true latency formula

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570/580 - value. May have to lower settings in some cases.
>590 - current generation games on high/maxed 60fps+; better choice if you want the included games
>1660 - current generation games on high/maxed 60fps+; much more power efficient
> 1660Ti / 1070 / Vega56 / 2060 - higher framerates
1440p (WQHD)
>590 8Gb - lower, console-equivalent settings
>Vega / 1070Ti / 2070 - 60-120fps+ in most games on high/maxed
>RTX 2080 / 2080Ti - higher framerates
>Radeon VII - may be considered; needs cooler mod to run quiet
2160p (4k)
>RTX 2080 / Radeon VII - upscale or lower settings
>RTX 2080 Ti, but poor value.

Storage
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & HDD
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Prev

Attached: too tight oniichan.jpg (1024x563, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thehackernews.com/2018/11/meltdown-spectre-vulnerabilities.html
kaspersky.com/blog/35c3-spectre-meltdown-2019/25268/
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6rx9D2
thehackernews.com/2018/03/amd-processor-vulnerabilities.html
youtube.com/watch?v=CuoER1DwYLY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how the FUCK do I pick a PSU???

Why shouldn't you use only a stick of RAM.

Are you a monkey?

no im a dumb stinkin ape

Because when you have 2 sticks of ram they work together. Imagine your Ram only having 1 hand.

Because then it runs as single channel. More channels = more bandwidth. So, 2x4GB performs better than 1x8GB for any bandwidth-intensive uses (and benchmarks).

Still meming about secure CPUs, huh? Ryzen is insecure.

Out of 7 newly discovered attacks, as listed below, two are Meltdown variants, named as Meltdown-PK and Meltdown-BR, and other 5 are new Spectre mistraining strategies.

1. Meltdown-PK (Protection Key Bypass)—On Intel CPUs, an attacker with code execution ability in the containing process can bypass both read and write isolation guarantees enforced through memory-protection keys for userspace.

2. Meltdown-BR (Bounds Check Bypass)—Intel and AMD x86 processors that ship with Memory Protection eXtensions (MPX) or IA32 bound for efficient array bounds checking can be bypassed to encode out-of-bounds secrets that are never architecturally visible.

Spectre-PHT (Pattern History Table)

3. Spectre-PHT-CA-OP (Cross-Address-space Out of Place)

4. Spectre-PHT-SA-IP (Same Address-space In Place)

5. Spectre-PHT-SA-OP (Same Address-space Out of Place)

Spectre-BTB (Branch Target Buffer)

6. Spectre-BTB-SA-IP (Same Address-space In Place)

7. Spectre-BTB-SA-OP (Same Address-space Out of Place)

>Researchers demonstrate all of the above attacks in practical proof-of-concept attacks against processors from Intel, ARM, and AMD. For Spectre-PHT, all vendors have processors that are vulnerable to all four variants of mistraining, they say.
>The team also said since the vendors are working to address the issues, they decided to hold their proof-of-concept exploits for some time.
thehackernews.com/2018/11/meltdown-spectre-vulnerabilities.html

>secure CPUs
You just keep on meming, and I'll just keep on correcting you

>Moreover, even though earlier AMD had claimed that its CPUs were not exposed to Meltdown-class vulnerabilities, researchers discovered a variation of Meltdown (called Meltdown-BR) that was perfectly operational with AMD CPUs. So at this point, the CPUs of all three of the largest global CPU vendors — AMD, ARM, and Intel — are susceptible to both Meltdown and Spectre. Well, at least to some of the variations from both these families.
kaspersky.com/blog/35c3-spectre-meltdown-2019/25268/

>inb4 your source disagrees with me so it's bad :(((((((

Buy a good 650watt psu and call it a day. Evga or Seasonic. You can run a 9900k and 2080ti on 650, so it'll blanket cover you. Most people don't need more than 450watt. Just don't cheap out on it and your psu will likely outlive any component in your build.

And yet, still nowhere near as bad as Intel.

Try to pick one with a bit of headroom, usually 650W is largely enough. If you plan to OC your CPU, your RAM and maybe your GPU, consider getting a gold certified PSU, which means the current will have a better quality so you can have stable OC'd frequencies.

User reviews, mostly. That tends to tell you how often they tend to fail after 3-10 months.
johnnyguru reviews.

>reposting that garbage that got BTFO
Meltdown-BR is not a Meltdown class vulnerability.
Ryzen has been vulnerable to something like 3 out of 30 vulnerabilities. The other 30 all affecting Intel.
The Ryzen vulnerabilities are all fixable with

The OP should have a bit on overclocking

Fantastic OP. I bought the RX 590 the other day, and it feels just like I'm playing my Xbox, only looking slightly prettier. This should be the default OP from now on.

Should I get a rx 570 4gb for 220 dollars?
Mind you guys the price for a 580 is 290 here and a gtx 1660 is 357 dollars.

See if you can get a 570 8 GB for a little more, but not over 240 bucks.

Consider 2nd hand; there's a lot of people dropping their cards for the new Turing cards. Idk where you're from, but here in the US you can get a used Rx570 for $90-105 and Rx580 for $120-140.

Sadly it will cost 267dollars

Sadly from swedenistan so everything is expensive.

I mean what's your goal? Honestly for 1080p 60hz an Rx570 4gb will still be pretty damn good and I'm sure you'll be happy with the performance. Have consider if it's worth paying 1/3rd more for less than 20% performance increase.

570 4Gb should be like 80-85% the performance of a 580 8Gb so for 75% the price there. I guess that's your best bit with prices that bad.

I had it on another paste I was trying to make but it was too long. I'm not good at writing concisely.

Also, "Meltdown-BR" only affects 32-bit OS. Funny how a lot of articles leave that out, especially at your "perfectly flawless" editorialized source. What a joke. And some OS are already patched.
Meltdown-RW is also known as Spectre Variant 1.2. These new researchers really misnamed the fuck out of things.

>try to come up with a solid gayman PC with a gtx 1660 in canada
>come up with a build that's $1100
>would be $820 in the US
>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6rx9D2

Attached: 1461462210104.png (291x173, 4K)

Where do you live? Even in Russia 570 4GB by Sapphire is $185
Anyway, yes, if 570 4GB is cheaper than, for example, 1060 3GB, you should get it

Why does this guy do this?

Attached: Untitled.png (1344x635, 1.8M)

What's a good program to monitor temperatures on your rig?

I don't even want to try any more. Might just get a shitbox from Best Buy.

>$1111 CAD = $835 USD
Boo hoo it's $15 more. That's probably cheaper considering your taxes.
Seems like a really good build for that price except the case.

speedfan I guess.

I really don't know.

Did I do good Bros?

Attached: IMG_20190310_232847343.jpg (4032x3024, 2.74M)

It's okay.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 9K)

not really. should've gone with zotac or evga.

Try Realtemp, there is even a setting to have CPU and GPU temperatures as system tray icons next to your clock, set it to run on startup

I get paid tomorrow. tell me why I shouldn't buy 16gb 3200mhz cl14 b die ram for $180 instead of regular cl15-18-18 sub $120 ram

I am getting 37c with the card on idle and 79-81 on load and the fans are nice and quiet unlike the ebga 2060 I had.

Are these good temps bros?

>Why'd you make two posts at the same time?
Cleaner / clearer that way. One for each source

>Ryzen has been vulnerable to something like 3
This post lists at least 4. Anyway your "out of my ass" credibility (as determined by your namefag post history) is absolutely zero, so
>Meltdown-BR is not a Meltdown class vulnerability.
>Ryzen has no serious hardware flaws which CAN NOT be patched AT ALL and none which kill performance.
can be ignored without source.

>your single dubious source
I already inb4'd that , so you have some come up with some other non-argument. Kaspersky is one of the foremost security companies in the world, while you are a just shilling, jobless, probably substance abusing namefag with an agenda of promoting your pet products.

I have two buckets. Bucket 1 has a few holes in the bottom, and Bucket 2 has a few more. Which one won't leak?

Poor taste, little consoletard. Should have gotten a 1660 for less money and more power. (Far less wattage, too.)

Almost no performance increase for 50% increase in cost

because he's using electrical arcs to drill holes, it probably creates a fuck ton of high frequency noise that he's trying to cut out with that ferrite ring

>Ryzen has been vulnerable to something like 3 out of 30 vulnerabilities.
Rating: False
Evidence: 13 Critical Flaws Discovered in AMD Ryzen and EPYC Processors
Source: thehackernews.com/2018/03/amd-processor-vulnerabilities.html
>Security researchers claimed to have discovered 13 critical Spectre/Meltdown-like vulnerabilities throughout AMD's Ryzen and EPYC lines of processors that could allow attackers to access sensitive data, install persistent malware inside the chip, and gain full access to the compromised systems.
>Moreover, researchers also claimed to have found two EXPLOITABLE MANUFACTURER BACKDOORS inside Ryzen chipset that could allow attackers to inject malicious code inside the chip.

Attached: Ryzen vulerabilities.png (728x380, 17K)

your money, senpai.
Though 50% more for RAM is a lot. If it's $60 more on top of $1000 total build cost, that's a 6% total cost increase for a ~10% performance increase which isn't bad.

That's fine.

>source
Wikipedia page on Meltdown, SuSE, Redhat, and Ubuntu blogs, etc.
Meltdown are attacks which abuse flaws in privilege checks of architecture.
Meltdown-BR does no such thing. It abuses a flaw in an instruction on the OS level of some 32-bit OS. It's not a hardware flaw abusing hardware privilege vulnerabilities, thus it's not Meltdown. If you weren't an ignorant and tech-illiterate twat, you'd understand this yourself without needing to be spoon fed.
>source above says 4 for AMD
It says 2 of the new ones. Plus 2 of the previous ones. Ok, 4 *total*, not 3. If you're saying it's vulnerable to 4 of the 8 new ones, I don't see where it says that unless you're counting "all four versions of mistraining" on one vulnerability as 4 vulnerabilities.
There are also a lot of other non-Meltdown and non-Spectre vulnerabilities affecting Intel CPUs such as Spoiler. I think it's closer to 40, and not 30, now, compared to the 4 for AMD, those 4 of which are fixable in OS and microcode with near-zero performance impact while the Intel performance impacts are well documented (having to disable HT *entirely* is a big one, which is why I at least did recommend the 9700k for a while until it kept coming up as more and more hardware security vulnerabilities still).

You're the one with an agenda when you have to lie and use editorialized sources to use as trolling ammunition.

>Ryzenfall
AAHAHAHAHHA clearly trolling okay, got it. I mean it was clear before, but still.

AHAHAHA BTFO'd again. Just keep laughing as I point out how stupid you are

The main point to remember is that any PC connected to the internet is vulnerable. Doesn't matter what hardware or OS you have

>if people have administrator access and PHYSICAL ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER they can "hack" you!
AMD fixed all of these in 2 weeks, even though they weren't serious. Many were ASMedia vulerabilities, which again required physical access and administrator access.

That CTS Labs was a blatant smear campaign and the biggest joke on Jow Forums for MONTHS.
It was such a prevalent source of memes that I'm sure mods remember it and I think you really fucked up making it clear that you're trolling by posting it as some false claim that Ryzen is "insecure".

All you've done by posting that is made it clear you've been trolling Jow Forums for MONTHS despite your claims of ignorance otherwise. A lot of your other posts in the past were borderline, maybe could be given the benefit of the doubt. But when you repost the CTS labs shit? LMAO. This isn't /b/; trolling is against the rules here.

Your whole tactic is to exhaust people to keep making the same false claims over and over hoping you exhaust all the people who are willing to call you out on the bullshit. Hopefully you get banned (again?) now that you've made it completely obvious you're a concern troll.

Attached: firefox_2019-03-15_03-40-59.png (997x399, 68K)

This is referring to legacy parts, but I'm trying to upgrade an older computer before I give it to a friend or flip it. It supports the LGA 1156 socket, so would the best CPU be the Nephalem i7, or the Westmere i5? Thanks.

Waiting patiently for Navi

Attached: serveimage.gif (500x282, 931K)

>Your whole tactic is to exhaust people, to keep making the same false claims over and over hoping you wear down all the people who are willing to continuously call you out on your same lying and manipulative bullshit every thread
Was laughing too hard to write that one. There, fixed.

Anyway, you should have stuck to posting benchmarks from dubious sources instead of such blatant trolling that you resorted to lately.

Why do you want to upgrade that? You'll spend more in energy bills than you'd save getting an ancient $100 Core i7-880.
But check the motherboard and the best CPU it supports.

I did check, and it seems to be a toss up between the two CPUs I mentioned. From what you've said, the Westmere i5 seems to be the best option, then?

nice COPE

Attached: satanica.jpg (209x241, 9K)

I want to upgrade my GPU. I have a stock 2600 on a Seasonic 520W 80+ Bronze PSU. Will this PSU be enough for a Vega 56? And if so, is it worth getting the Vega over a (slightly cheaper) 1660 Ti, the other card I'm considering?

I also kind of want to get a cheap Freesync screen, and those don't have DP so wouldn't work with an nVidia card. But the inefficiency of the Vega is slighy offputting.

going amd on both cpu and gpu is a terrible idea. To this day, Nvidia gpus remain the superior choice for weak singlethread cpus

Get the 1660 or 1660ti

Best option is $80 R5 1600, $50 board, $45 RAM. For just a bit more money you get a CPU that's 3x the performance and 3x the perf/watt. Nothing worse than 24nm is really worth it anymore. Those older Intel CPUs are also especially crippled by the security patches.

And the fuck? There are more than 1 i5 and i7. You didn't look well enough.

Yes that PSU will be fine.
You should try and get Vega56 on sale. It's still been going on sale for $250-$280. I wouldn't pay like $350 for it, no.
You can underclock Vega56 to 1660Ti performance and it's not that much higher power consumption at that point.
1660Ti is still a good option if you can't find Vega 56 sales, though.

This is the first time I see this, I'll look into it, thank you.

>You should try and get Vega56 on sale.
I'm not in the US, but it's been on sale from time to time here as well. I'm not in a hurry to upgrade so I'll wait a week or two to see if a good deal pops up.
I have never overclocked a GPU, but I'll look into it, it seems really worth it with Vega. I'm still not sure how undervolting would be good for performance, but I'll do some reading.
Thank you for the reply, I was mostly wondering about my PSU.

Just don't buy blower Vega56 and don't pay so much more than a 1660Ti. It is a bit higher performance than a a 1660Ti, and you can save some on a DP monitor, but still.

Under/Overclocking on Vega is easy. It's built into the driver software. They also added an auto-undervolt in a recent driver update.

Redpill me on the 2080ti over the 2080.
Haven't been up on hardware in about four years.

I just want to play Escape from Tarkov at 2k at over 60fps and my 970 is pegged at 100% usage at 45 fps on minimum settings.

Attached: lgTp6yU.jpg (1350x900, 318K)

Get the cheaper card and put your savings towards a 7nm nvidia card. There's little reason to pay $1200 for a 14nm card now that 7nm is on the horizon

>2080Ti
Costs 3x as much as the 1080 cost for ~1.8x the performance.
>2080
Costs 2x as much as the 1080 for ~1.425x the performance.

Has some snakeoil DLSS which is blurry and looks and runs worse than simply upscaling. An absolute scam.
Has accelerated raytracing which isn't powerful enough so it either does nothing, and/or looks like crap, and/or is full of artifacts, and all the games which support it have been average at best and ass at worse.
Well regarded as the worst new GPU releases in 2 decades when you factor in the prices and bullshit marketing nonsense. At least Vega had price going for it at some point.

>I just want to play Escape from Tarkov at 2k at over 60fps and my 970 is pegged at 100% usage at 45 fps on minimum settings.
Vega 56 or 1660Ti are more than you need. Even a 590 or 1660 would probably work at 1440p for that game.

What GPU would be best for standard hd to 2k gaming on a budget?

1440p 60hz
nvidia; rtx2060 or used gtx 1070,1070ti,1080
amd: vega56

Going to build a completely new PC since my current one is getting close to 6 years old and all I've replace in the mean time is a graphics cards. I've got a question when it comes to monitors though, could I expect issues if I use monitors with different hz? I do want to buy a new monitor, but if possible I'd like to make a 2 or 3 monitor setup using the monitors I already have (even though the are all different models).

>could I expect issues if I use monitors with different hz?
yes, at least with nvidia cards, not sure about amd
You'll get flickering or stutters on the higher hz monitor when you're using one for gaming and the other for video playback

I see, thank you for the response. I'll try to stick with 60hz then, so I can use my old monitors.

Also what this user says holds true.

Spending over $500 on a 14nm when 7nm is so close is one of the stupidest decisions in hardware buying that you could make unless you make hundreds of thousands per year so spending $1200 per year on GPUs is nothing for you.

Vega 56, 1070Ti, 1080. Could be used.

There were thousands of posts on Nvidia's forums about people having issue with mismatched hz monitors. Like 60hz and 120 is fine, being the same ratio, but that they'd get microstutters with say 60 and 144. On AMD there is no such issue.
Last I heard, Nvidia was blaming Windows 10 for the issue, even though it doesn't affect AMD on Windows 10.
Some Jow Forums users claim it's fake and conspiracy though, and I've not really followed it since.

You could also downclock a 144hz monitor to 120 to match your 60 if you already have Nvidia. 72 and 144 will also work. Or 240 and 60 I think as well.

>Nvidia was blaming
Classic nvidia move. They never take the blame for anything.

Recommend me a good PC below 500€, are there some cheap but good models like thinkpad for laptop? Mostly for work and videos in full hd.
There are lots of suggestions from HP but I heard they are shit, and I dont think building one for that little money would make sense (althought you can convince me otherwise)

raytracing looks so good though

can't wait for that 21xx series

It looks trash even on a 2080Ti.
Rasterization looks better. youtube.com/watch?v=CuoER1DwYLY

POTENTIALLY, raytracing looks better. Sure, it looks better in movies. Not in realtime games, at the moment. 2080Ti is too weak at it.

Even the 2100 series won't be powerful enough. It's going to be at least 2023 or so.

Are those fans gentle typhoons?

Not him but no they clearly arent

>tfw fell for the Ryzen meme
Not using the stock cooler btw, have a hyper 212X

Attached: unknown.png (753x528, 58K)

>speccy
fuck off mate

>Uses Bitspower
>But still EK shit
Why?

As you should. Lmao'ing at all these impatient faggots buying 1660 Ti.

Look into AOC C24G1. 1080p VA panel with 144hz and Freesync for around $200.

>windows 10
>2400mhz ram
>2060
>speccy
gas yourself, dont reply i wont read it

It's not too bad of an offering for people who just need to buy a new PC now.

But for anyone looking to upgrade when they have something decent enough already, yeah it's dumb with 7nm mainstream well under a year away.

>not only 2400MHz RAM but only CL17 @ 2400
yikes i didn't even know they made RAM that slow.
>Speccy
>2060 with a 1080p@60 monitor

wtf man
that's switch level of graphics tecnology

Read jonnyguru and don't buy a cheapo $50 unit. Also Seasonic is the most consistent good performer, but they cost a bit more generally.

What's wrong with speccy?

Are you blind?

Ye, I'm itching to upgrade too, but my 570 4GB is still doing more than fine at 1080p. I won't upgrade until games come out that are actually worth playing, and those probably won't release in 2019 anyways (Cyberpunk, RDR2).
I'm getting like >100fps in DMC5 and I'm pretty sure Sekiro will run just as well, fucking love this card.

>Hopefully you get banned
An old tactic. Can't win? Get rid of your opponent. You've admitted defeat.

>trolling is against the rules here
Only one who's trolling here is you. Fortunately we can go back through your namefag posts and easily find your trolling. Need I remind that you just said, a few posts up, "Ryzen HAS BEEN vulnerable to something like 3 out of 30 vulnerabilities," which is so easily disproven it's laughable, because even right above that post, there were four. Another 13 specific to Ryzen that I documented in the post after that, and of course even the picture you posted warns of Spectre, a whole family of exploits to which Ryzen is vulnerable.

Get fucked, retard. You are mentally deficient

stay seethed

I want to build a browsing PC, so i could cut off my work computer from the internet and just transfer downloaded files via USB, should i bother trying to build the tiniest monoblock possible, or should i just bite the bullet and buy a Surface Pro and reshape it into what i want?

Laptops need not apply, i want a tiny detachable keyboard.

Attached: 1543148747692.png (514x553, 167K)

>s-s-stay seethed

yep stay seethed

Nice anal fractures, shithead. Don't @ me

stay seethed

stay seethed

raged

My monitor died and I need to get a new one.

My machine is built for 1080p/60hz, so as much as I'd like to upgrade to high resolution or refresh rate, my PC can't really handle that yet.

I'm wondering what I can get in a 1080p 60hz monitor for the best picture quality? IPS? Is there a specific contrast ratio or something I should be looking for? Is 27" too big for 1080p?

gonna be honest and say you want a smart TV with a Bluetooth keyboard

I've been waiting for something capable of doing 4K @ 90 consistently. And 4K, HDR, 120hz monitors, for that matter. 2080Ti only tends to do in the 55-80FPS range except for super well optimized games and is overpriced and should be $800, anyway.

I'd imagine Sekiro isn't going to run that well because it'll probably be CPU bound. Dark Souls 3 took black magic to just run at 60, IIRC, it's so trash.
Capcom's new engine, on the other hand, is amazing.

Just get 1080p@75 and downclock it to 60. Takes less than 15 seconds. And/or, you know, use Freesync.

It doesn't look like you've applied thermal paste correctly.

Never heard of monitor downclocking before, is it just a matter of setting the output refresh rate to be lower? If I can do 60hz on a 144hz monitor then I might go that route.

Freesync isn't really an option because Nvidia. I haven't seen any "g-sync compatible" monitors at 1080p

4k monitors should be cheaper tbqh
would make high end platforms more desirable

I'm hoping to upgrade to a 1440p option by the end of the year but there's not many options to max a 120hz monitor so it feels really too expensive of a upgrade

Most Freesync monitors with displayport should work with nvidia

user is that build on PC partpicker or at least a link to the case?

Going to build a new pc, budget around 1500 euros BUT I'm not going to buy a new GPU until the new ones are out (will likely end up being an Nvidia card), I'll be using my current 1060 for the time being.
I plan to use the pc for 4k gaming and streaming to a 4k tv, at least in the foreseeable future (after having bought a new GPU). CPU will either be a R7 2700X or i7 8700k.
What are a good case and motherboard to pick for those specifics? I always have trouble with picking those 2 components.

Is the Yak 3 a Spitfire copy?

I would still be able to download/torrent things and have some typical software functionality.

ryzen is fine for 4k 60hz but you'll be fucked if you ever choose to get into high refresh gaming