How did MS go from great visual design like this to what we have today?

How did MS go from great visual design like this to what we have today?

Attached: Windows_XP_SP3.png (800x500, 275K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TfzEPtLPnP4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

user... I have some bad news...

t. zoomer

XP was a great OS but visually it was dogshit. why do people like that look? aesthetically it's like Playskool: The OS

>Same question

Attached: Vista Desktop 2018.jpg (1200x900, 154K)

Nostalgia

you may not like it, but this is what peak desktop looks like.

Attached: moxfm.gif (1024x768, 47K)

Those mount and unmount buttons, clickable with a mouse! Why can't software be this simple and easy anymore?

It's actually quite simple

Old design:
Programming drove the aesthetic

New design:
Aesthetic drives the programming

The divide between those who appreciate the older styles and those who don't is the same as the divide between those with a natural affinity for computers and those without one.
I am not joking in the slightest, because there are styles I see even in new desktops today that have a very "computery" feel, and even give me a strong urge to start programming or something.
Then there's styles that just feel like I'm looking at a piece of contemporary art and has nothing to do with computers at all.

I firmly believe that if you don't "get" what I just wrote above then you are in the later category. No offense, but it shouldn't come as a surprise to you that IF I'm right, you'd be oblivious to it, because it's not something you ever see or hear about in our culture. Why would it be? Modern art and design is not driven by the type of people who fall into the former category.
I think those in the later category will always believe it's nothing but nostalgia, but it's really not. There is genuinely another "feel" to the older style computer design that is timeless.

Attached: Arena_(web_browser)_screenshot.png (329x383, 11K)

XP was fucking shit, 2000 was the pinnacle of Windows evolution

>fisher-price os was great visual design

90% of 2000 was NT, and still exists today in 10.. for real work anyway... Although they're working hard to hide it.

based aeroposter

Strong explanation.

It wasn't good design, it is based on the Teletubbies which was popular at the time of release.

this makes sense. it's exclusively women and basedboys who work in the tech design field these days (they even look alike). they fire up their abstract design tools and create things with a mindset not unlike that of advertisers.
then the poor programmers - well, many of them are onions leftist javascript faggots, too - are tasked with bringing that "vision" to interactive life. I don't know much about them, but apparently there are tools that will let you mock up interactive mobile applications which are surprisingly functional before a single line of code is written.
so yeah, everything's gonna look more and more ridiculous and artsy and non-masculine the longer this goes on.

Attached: 1552620209099.jpg (600x487, 51K)

I kind of have to agree with this, because I've been thinking about it.
Basically, I like my machines to look like machines, not furniture. When you give me something like a Mac or a Surface I'm afraid to even touch it because I don't want to break it, like it's a god damn art piece. For the price, it may very well be.
I don't know. To me, as a workstation, something like pic related is far more enticing. It looks utilitarian.

Attached: PC2006.jpg (300x252, 13K)

>not the classic theme

That case looks like a campfire to me. Probably has a Prescott Celeron in it too.

UI:

Windows 95/98/ME/2000 > Windows Vista > Windows 7 > Windows XP >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Windows 8 and 10 shit

SOUL

SOULLESS

I disagree sir

WHERE DID IT GO SO WRONG Jow ForumsROS

Attached: win98se[1].png (640x480, 17K)

>Collecting information about your computer
>Estimated time remaining: 94 minutes
I guess even the NSA was on dial-up back then

Attached: 1375161363447.jpg (320x179, 6K)

/thread

XP was a shitshow before SP2. it was basically ME with an NT kernel.

It's because things used to be designed with some level of functionality and specificity of purpose that wasn't just a jack of all trades or a bullshit webapp thrown together in golang

Function should drive the aesthetic rather than its programming, but that didn't used to be a thing requiring a distinction

Attached: 812Te191ZfL._SX569_.jpg (569x569, 81K)

Your words are correct but your picture is wrong.

Attached: FZX6NQLFVDDPYKG.LARGE.jpg (739x557, 51K)

Attached: A E S T H E T I C S.png (3072x768, 668K)

God bless you user, Windows 2000 was an still is the pinnacle of computing

Not really, just the pinnacle of Microsoft computing.

iphone/apple

SMARTPHONES.

A little history of Windows UX.

Attached: 1342515825240.jpg (2786x3018, 1.85M)

What do you suppose is better than Windows 2000?

Attached: af2.png (741x568, 29K)

Nokia 2100 interface, obviously.

Gradients make it look much better than the current windows design. "let's just make the panel solid black" is a shit design. It doesn't look dynamic or engaging. XP and Vista/7 design looked more real and less abstracted. It felt more like a UI for human beings and not robots.
Let's not forget icons. Flat/material icons are objectively worse than traditional ones simply because they give less information, especially to your peripheral view. If you had a whole screen of icons it would be much easier to find what you're looking for if it wasn't flat. I installed a flat white icon only theme once and it was impossibly difficult to use because everything looked similar. Everything looks too similar with flat design too, just not to that extent but it's still noticeably worse than non-flat.
Also, buttons. I don't have the image right now but an user once showed comparison between windows 7 and windows 10. It is significantly easier to figure out what's what on w7, what's pressed/enabled, separation between buttons/icons/panels, etc. simply because of the pseudo-3D effect windows used before w10.

why is it backwards?

Also where's Vista

You are absolutely right, except your explanation applies to Win9x/2k and previous iterations, not to Windows XP's Luna, and that's a fact. Luna falls in the later category you mention, it doesn't look professional or "computery" at all, it really is just nostalgia from babies first OS in the early 2000s mostly, and/or a lot of bad taste.

>everything old is good
Get with the times, faggot

Win2000 was peak aesthetics. Simple, serious, consistent and convenient.

>using the fucking Luna abomination and liking it when classic was just two clicks in the settings away
I bet you also enjoyed aero, you utter pleb kid.

Admittedly the general WinXP aesthetic is pretty fucking silly. Bright greens and blues is retarded.

>everything new is good
Now kindly project your faggotry somewhere else.

>because there are styles I see even in new desktops today that have a very "computery" feel
Can you name some? Interested in that.

Attached: whistler2257-1-1.png (800x600, 49K)

>70174995
YES YES YES YES
Finally someone with an actual brain on this website.
XP was a fucking masterpiece, it made use of heavy contrast, basicly consisting of the 3 primary colors (red, green, blue) and used them exactly where appropriate, accented with the best desktop background of all time.
It just looked so friendly.

Attached: beos5.big.png (640x480, 23K)

XP with Classic theme looks the same.

they replaced white people with pajeets

youtube.com/watch?v=TfzEPtLPnP4

I was actually thinking the same but didn't feel like making that distinction.
My memory of XP was always with the classic theme anyway, since disabling all the effects from XP back then actually gave significant performance improvements, and I think most people I ever talked to did the same thing.

why are those icons look like Windows 10?

Strong post user. I feel the same, that’s part of why I started making my own OS, to get back into that computery feel.

ME was good if you knew how to install drivers. XP was just a less stable and more bloated version of Win2k

Why you unable are write question proper?

Please do the kindly sir

It was before XP (whistler betas) they didn't really have much in the way of 3d icons yet let alone luna and this was preliminary anyway they were probably just placeholders

> great visual design like this
Wowie.

That design was shit too. But to answer your question every designer alive moved to the modern 2D, flat UI design when Apple abandoned the skeuomorphic 3D UI design in iOS. It was almost overnight.

Best Windows theme of all time coming through. It’s a fucking crime that they shipped XP with Luna instead of this.

Attached: C72A27D6-D078-4FCA-A889-7E6ABCD82F65.png (419x329, 11K)

They needed to compete with OS X

Details on your OS? I'm making one two, though we are probably going in opposite directions.

It’s a Unix-like with a builtin desktop inspired by the look and feel of Windows+Office circa 1997-2000. I sometimes post progress in /dpt/. What’s yours about?

windows is pajeet-ware now

Sounds Cool. I haven't really got anything to show for mine yet besides a few userspace utilities and a logo but basically I wanna just do everything how I see fit and how I want a system to be for myself and my own use, so it is not Unix-like and will not be compatible with any existing software. It will be GUI based like yours but with a more Vista-like style (not exactly but kinda, I know in my head exactly how it will look). I have a bunch of small ideas about ways to do things to fix things I don't like in existing OSes.

Awesome. I wish you all the energy and inspiration :)

There was no "programming" behind the XP design you dumb autist, it was entirely corporate groupthink schlock on every level

Attached: 3pka4zbzvi021.png (341x403, 16K)

Same to you friend, I will keep an eye for you in /dpt/

>now
>implying it ever wasnt

Are you the one with the librebooted W500 or the one with pink anime lolishit? Because both of those desktops look like shit

I’m neither of those. This is what I’m working on right now. The IRC client is just a few hours old so it’s not looking the way I want yet but you get the general idea.

Attached: 523EF704-78E3-4038-A51F-B29767F2592B.png (1920x1080, 719K)

Are you using GTK2 or something else?

Looks Amazing

i shed a tear :(
it's so beautiful

Thanks user!

It’s my own toolkit. Every pixel is home grown :)

Nice

It looked good with the Energy Blue, Zune or Silver themes.

My nigger

>2011
>94 year old grandpa can use his win 98 pc to play solitaire all day with no internet
>2019
>63 year old mom uses excel 40 hours a week and needs help with win 7/chrome daily
>keep a vm with full ms office suite and chrome for helping her over phone
>defeated by captcha constantly
>this website uses cookies
>website demand clearing cookies to login
>drm always online textbook subscription
>20 seconds waiting to turn page
its only gonna get worse when win 7 goes away

>defeated by captcha constantly

This suddenly makes me wonder if you could construct a captcha that would prevent NPCs from posting on the Internet

It's an offline install, user...

It's simple. Just have them type "FUCK NIGGERS" or "1488" into a text box. Very little programming knowledge needed but it's guaranteed to be highly effective.

XP is a weird blend of the two imo. It departs from the win98 style significantly, but still isn't really the modern feel that appeared in vista either. Also, there is something to what is saying. I thinkk this is largely why people like the SEL aestetic so much in the modern era. They appreciate that "computery" or retro kind of feel that was talking about. And it is kinda hard to explain unless you just kinda get it. Now that said. Windows98 was lacking soul completely imo. while it's closer to that retro style, it feels very "business" inlike the comfy window that posted, though I would argue that functionally Arena looks lacking. Very nice aesthetic though. I almost always go for dark themes or this retro style. Actually, would be interesting to see this aesthetic design applied to a dark theme... would probably have some interesting results. For the most part though, I do use modern software for the functionality. Of course, I also like to have "crazy rainbow neon syntax insanity" as some have told me, so maybe I'm not the most qualified to talk about design.

Attached: Screenshot_152.png (1471x1010, 78K)

summary: (((ui designers))) didnt feel like making anything that takes more than 5 minutes because vectoring skeuomorphism requires actual design skill which they dont have so they have to force flat design on us to feel better about their $200k arts degree. (((apple))) endorsed it so that's all they needed to go full autistic 5 yr old with design complexity

My question goes beyond that, why all hardware when from white/cream to black?

Microsoft was never good.

Attached: 1552684904293.png (378x356, 58K)

True but there were times where they were "better" as far as the bad scale goes. Looking back and compare that bad to recent bad, sometimes you prefer some of the old bad back.

It's deeply depressing what Apple has become.

olive was an excellent "professional" desktop theme, and while the default luna, especially in combination with the bliss wallpaper, was horrifically garish, the bright, but simple colors and gradients livened the interface without being horribly tacky (so long as you changed the wallpaper)
the calm blue leitmotif of luna was perfected in the "embedded" style, which brought to it a professional elegance luna sorely lacked.

i don't consider silver to be an improvement over luna, the chrome grille skeuomorphism is even tackier, and does not even have an approachable, calming color to offset its tastelessness with.
"energy blue" is the worst of both worlds, combining the garishness of luna with the tasteless chrome of silver
in the same way, "Zune" was a deteriorated version of the unofficial "royale noir" theme with tasteless orange highlights

everything old is new again, looks like windows 8

Just use VNC to control her PC dude.

They had to write the uxtheme engine for it. It uses bitmap skin segments, a real departure from the previous algorithmically drawn theme.

> Not the stock Vista

Attached: 1510818706350.jpg (622x621, 54K)

Attached: fg.jpg (1920x1080, 75K)

damn, vista looked like this?

looks like windows 8.1

Attached: windows-8-version-6.3.jpg (474x413, 72K)

Early versions of OS X looked ugly as sin. It took almost 10 years for it to look good.

The GUI on modern OS is not really the issue. It's the fucking websites that are driving me nuts. Just look at pic related, which is what a website used to look like. No 10 minutes loading all the javascript, videos, audios, ads, malware, popups and flash crap. Simple and straight to the point.

Attached: 4074747310_0704db6e59_o.png (634x750, 110K)