Jow Forums approved monitors

What do you look for when buying a monitor? TN, IPS or VA? If you're someone that games alot but also use your PC alot in general what type do you choose? Also dead pixels seem to be pretty common regardless the brand and most companies have a shitty RMA process. Do you care if you get 1 dead pixel right off the bat?

tl;dr: choosing a monitor is hard

Attached: 338223.jpg (1200x900, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

community.acer.com/en/discussion/562263/vg270up-xv272up-flickering-issue-all-innolux-panels-affected-acer-please-respond
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That non-glossy/matte one from Dell. Current year edition.

For me, IPS or VA panel depending on the use case for the monitor.

Dead pixels on 1440p or 2160p, or larger panels are common and pretty much unavoidable. Most companies have pixel policies that support this, so unless your panel is particularly bad, you have no grounds to RMA.

I personally am using a 43" 2160p 60hz IPS panel and a 27" 1440p 144hz VA panel

I was looking for a new DELL monitor that would replace my P2415 4k 24" screen.

I tried the new P2419H and U2419H and they are both just pure shit. Backlight bleeing on P series is unbelivable and uneven backlight around the borders of the screen on the U series is a fucking joke.

It turns out that since DELL switched to Samsung from LG as their panel supplier it's been only getting worse and worse. I returned both monitors and switched back to my glorious P2415Q.

Attached: Blurred edge shadow.jpg (487x293, 34K)

va for gaming
if you do image editing then ips

i just take monitors out of trash bins you all need to get fucking good

Non glossy dell circa 2008. Dumpster edition

I'm looking for a 1440p 144hz IPS monitor. Which one should I get Jow Forums?

Attached: asus.jpg (1047x921, 426K)

The one you built yourself

Attached: 9aQ5-7jmuXsZ7uT3cS340-2bs.jpg (4032x3016, 2.96M)

Is the Dell S2719DGF good? Anyone have it?

What if you're looking for a 32" 4K?

It's quite solid. It's only a TN panel, but it is widely considered to have the best panel in compared to other TNs, doesn't have some shitty coating.

the P2415Q looks amazing, i have a P2414h myself

>What do you look for when buying a monitor?
>16:10
>IPS
that's all

Attached: w3g.gif (200x155, 2.91M)

I'd like to try to get VA when possible, the're so hard to find for general purpose monitors, the only time you see a bunch of VA panel is with the curved meme displays
I could just get a TV since pretty much all of them are VA, but the only ones worth buying are all at least 43"

Why not both?

Attached: monitors.png (476x146, 19K)

>the P2415Q looks amazing
it really is. Too bad the 2014/2015 series is the last of high quality that came out of DELL.

why 16:10?

because 16:9 feels way too cramped vertically

Are VA panels better now or do blacks still smear?

Depends on the model, VA panels on TVs have defiantly gotten better but since there isn't a whole lot of VA monitors it's hard to say

Office work/web browsing: IPS
Movies/TV shows: VA
Gaming: TN
Gaming (retro): CRT

when looking for a monitor avoid samsung panels at all costs. look for manufacturers that use AU Optronics panels.

I've got 2x 32" 1440p monitors. Both are cheap shit AOCs that cost me 400€ in total. One is IPS and the other is VA. The IPS panel has a richer colours although both are rated 100% sRGB. You really need quite colourful pictures to notice it though. VA panel has obviously better contrast, but the difference isn't really that big. Yea, the IPS panel has some glow to it and the black on VA really is black, but it's not that big of a deal to me. Both are good enough for me and a lot better than what I used to have. On paper it's 1200:1 vs 4000:1 iirc. I think the VA has maybe bit less light bleed, but it's not that noticeable with the IPS either.
The biggest con that the VA panel has going for it is that it's ghosting absolutely atrociously. It's like constantly playing Tron and videos easily turn into blur. It doesn't even need to be a fast scene. Even simple shit like camera panning causes the image to turn into fog. I guess that's what I get for buying cheap shit. The IPS panel doesn't have anywhere near as much ghosting and I'm pretty much forced to use it for videos. It's like watching compressed low res youtube videos from the -07 so the VA panel only gets used for shitposting on 4chins. I'm totally content with the IPS panel and would be with the VA too, did it not have such awful ghosting issue.

Jow Forums prefers a headless command line based monitor with no monitor. By typing commands perfectly and using a series of error beeps with the manual you can significantly reduce your idle ram usage

I bet no one here who has an ips monitor that cares about color calibrates their monitor with a colorimeter.

Use your eyes and judgment , using fancy toys is retarded

Jow Forums help me decide
Two listing for decent monitors near me
One for $250 for two 24" 1080p ips monitors that come with a monitor stand
Thinkin ill run those vertical to the left of my main 1440p monitor

Or for $300 theres a 31.5" 1440p monitor i could replace my current 1440p main and just have two 1440p monitors
Maybe the old one vertical

Attached: 79356444_614.jpg (614x614, 25K)

I have a Acer V223W - why would I change? Are DVI ports dying?

That only applies at 1920x1080 and below. It isn't really cramped at all at 2560x1440 or 3840x2160.

your eyes can't maually calibrate to gamma curves, you're talkinga bout RBG calibration, I'm talking about RGB, 1D LUT and 3D LUT calibration which you can't do without a calibrator

Attached: 1535190750358.png (432x401, 11K)

Where do you get the screens? I've found laptop parts but can't seem to find much for actual monitors.

>not being projector master race

I certainly don't, but my IPS screens look nicer than TN anyway in terms of colors, plus the improved viewing angles are very nice to have with 3 27" screens. The sides of the side-screens would look like utter garbage on TN, not to mention that 27" monitors are generally large enough that even if you stare at them dead on the viewing angles to the corners will cause some noticeable color shift.

the point was getting an IPS monitor because you cared about better, more accurate colors and not going all the way with buying or renting out a colorimeter is dumb.
Once you calibrate using a colorimeter, it produces an ICC/ICM file for your display color calibration loader depending on what settings you've used for your tone curver, target luminance, white point etc. and the accuracy depends on the amount of color platte and time you're willing to spend on calibration measurements.
Color reproduction has its own industry and getting a monitor capable and a measuring device is just the start. 3D LUT files should be used for your games using reshade as lots of applications in fullscreen usually overide your GPU's gamma table.

I think more people just cared about the fact IPS has better and more colors than TN more than anything, worrying about color accuracy is like worrying about how flat and neutral your audio system is

>the point was getting an IPS monitor because you cared about better, more accurate colors and not going all the way with buying or renting out a colorimeter is dumb.
Yes, and I disagree with the point. Not only do colors look better to the eye even without calibration, but IPS panels have other benefits (like viewing angles) which are important to me and my use case. I don't need color accuracy to the point where I have to measure and calibrate for it, but I also do not want a monitor which looks like shit to my eyes and displays different colors in the corners compared to the center because its viewing angles are complete garbage.

I buy IPS because it has benefits which are visible in practice with the naked eye, without using a colorimeter.

Are G-sync and Freesync interoperable?
Are there monitors compatible with both?

No and no, but FreeSync works both on AMD and NVIDIA while GSync only works on NVIDIA.

Thanks, so what's the point of GSync monitors? Is this technology superior?

It doesn't need to be true color accurate to the color space.
When you buy a colorimeter or measuring device, you calibrate to YOUR own tastes. I already said there's many gamma curves which can't be calibrated manually, using just luminance, contract and RGB values limit to what you can do. You'd want a colorimeter especially with HDR content.

nvidia marketing shill. at this point, theres no real difference. just buy a decent freesync monitor so that you can use both nvidia and amd in the future.

isn't the refresh rate for this capped at 30-90 for freesync? that means that gsync is also capped at that frame rate, correct?

It is superior, according to NVIDIA at least. In practice I don't think you could notice the difference between a good, properly functioning FreeSync monitor and a GSync monitor. The thing is that NVIDIA has pretty high standards when it comes to slapping the "GSync" label on a screen, while FreeSync is kind of all over the place in terms of refresh rates it supports, flicker and shit like that. NVIDIA also did not support FreeSync until recently (2 months ago or something), so up until then you only had GSync as an option for variable refresh rate on NVIDIA.

NVIDIA also has a list of FreeSync monitors which they brand as "GSync compatible", which just means that those monitors supposedly passed their testing while others failed and weren't good enough. All FreeSync monitors work with NVIDIA cards though, but some might have issues like random black screens, flicker, brightness issues and probably other shit. If you're going to buy a FreeSync monitor for use with NVIDIA you should do some research to make sure the model works properly (a lot of them do even if not on the list).

>When you buy a colorimeter or measuring device, you calibrate to YOUR own tastes.
Yes, I'm sure you can do that. That however does not mean that you cannot benefit from an uncalibrated IPS screen, or that buying an IPS screen without calibrating it is dumb, as you initially claimed. You can like an uncalibrated IPS more than other options even if you can fine-tune it to suit your tastes even better with a colorimeter, that does not make the screen worthless without calibration in any way.

>I guess that's what I get for buying cheap shit
My friend had an expensive panasonic 4k VA tv and it was just as bad for ghosting.

>Most companies have pixel policies that support this, so unless your panel is particularly bad, you have no grounds to RMA.
*CRASH*
Hello? I just unpacked this and it seems to have been damaged in shipping. Can I get an RMA?

dont think so
just a normal 60hz monitor

im an idiot and meant to quote this one:

You can't fine tune it as much as having a colorimeter, you can't produce ICC, 3D LUT files, you can't measure luminance or your surroundings, you're limiting yourself without one. Its better to have one than not, also your application will display colors differently if you don't setup them properly from external applications like DisplayCAL.

>You can't fine tune it as much as having a colorimeter
Yes, you're right, but once again that does not make IPS monitors worthless without one. Your initial point doesn't really make sense at all, actually, since you can use a colorimeter to fine tune any monitor, not just IPS. It has nothing to do with IPS in particular and IPS screens don't need a colorimeter any more than other panels do. What you're saying applies to every screen, not just IPS.

>you care about color
>buy IPS
>No colorimeter for even better colors
dumb really

>you care about color
I care about what looks better to my eyes, not about measuring colors with numbers. Serious question, are you autistic?

>you care about graphics quality
>you buy 1080
>no Titan RTX for even better graphics
Maybe these people who don't buy colorimeters want to spend some money on nicer colors, but not excessively much for a little better still.

My Sony X900E is way better for motion than the previous BenQ 1080p VA monitor and both where quite expensive for what they are
For VA you really have to look at individual models if you care about motion, It doesn’t even matter what you pay for it
You can buy a cheap TCL TV with better response time than a model several price brackets higher

Yeah motion is something he's complained about for years, he's gone oled now and loves it.

IPS, no less than 27"

Is this the perfect monitor?

No, it's not 4k for one

Why would you want 4K in a 27 inch monitor?

Why wouldn't you?

A lot of scaling problems.

Refresh rate and colors.

Image quality brought about by high DPI.

Fair enough, although that is more of a software issue than anything else
I still see no reason to gush over 1440p anymore, it was relevant when you wanted something more than 1080p but 4k is coming around and in the future all the energy is going to be going into 4k, even high refresh rate

>Fair enough, although that is more of a software issue than anything else
Yes, of course it's a software problem, but you buy a expensive monitor and then you have to deal with this shit.

At this point
>IPS, since all the other technologies suck in comparison
>75hz or greater
>free-sync

Other than those three things I really don't care about the rest. Though, I do expect, like anyone else, for the monitor to have a fairly acceptable list of screen qualities. Such as gamma, color, contrast, etc.. Dead pixels aren't fun to deal with, however even just having a few isn't enough to trigger me. Nevertheless thats just me, I also don't care too much about anti-aliasing nor display scaling (meaning having physical borders in movies/games).

Recently ordered this
Did I do good?

Attached: 6AEB28A6-3785-4DA7-A4C3-21D7177ACE5E.jpg (1242x1691, 601K)

I'm using it for work and video watching btw

>dead pixels on 1440p are unavoidable
Stop buying shit brands. I have a dell 1440p with zero dead pixels.

GSYNC has better quality control due to it being a hardware standard that NVIDIA maintains.
Freesync is freeware, so the quality of its implementation is dependent on the monitor manufacturer.
So in theory GSYNC should be better but in reality they both do the same shit.

GSYNC is more consistent. Will a GSYNC monitor handle the 8 fps your shitty GPU puts out occasionally? The answer will be the same on all GSYNC monitors.

I got cucked I think

community.acer.com/en/discussion/562263/vg270up-xv272up-flickering-issue-all-innolux-panels-affected-acer-please-respond

Acer Nitro Gaming VG271UP

Works and looks amazing. Has 0 issues, little ghosting, no BLB, I'm happy with it... except one small thing.

Randomly. once every few days, once every hour - the screen flashes black and a barcode appears, this lasts about half a second. Interrupts games by flashing to a black screen.

I've had the monitor 11 days.

Wait for LG's upcoming nano ips monitors

should I warranty?

Refund?

I only have $400~ to spend

go 240hz TN or go home

>Ordered one of these today
Fugg

At the moment I am content with my 1440p 144hz TN Panel. It's a nice res to view content and a great refresh rate for the sort of games I play. In the future I would like to also get a 4k IPS panel to watch all my kinos on.

Attached: 1552610540533.png (1366x768, 886K)

For me most important are rgb coverage and resolution. 144hz is cool and all, but i'd rather have higher resolution with better graphics in games than additional smoothness.

Also, for desktop monitor - definitely IPS

same bruh

What sorta games you play? RTS? Singleplayer stories?

Is it worth refunding or trying to have this warrantied? It's $400 and I'm reading horror stories about Acer support.

my brother bought this acer monitor recently. 1ms response time, 2160p, IPS, etc.

The stand is made of hopes and dreams, no VESA mount and you can't even adjust the height or tilt.

my BenQ is shit, I have to unplug it regularly if I use the displayport, drain all power from it by holding the power button down, and then it will work. Stand is good though.

My £17 ebay AOC and 10 year old HP (no idea who really makes it) are perfect though.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-16_12-41-16.png (2560x1407, 160K)

Everything Acer I have ever owned has been fucking atrocious.

GET OUT. NOW.

Simple question here
For cheap IPS monitor, benq/LG/HP?

Attached: werwr.png (1087x1600, 1.22M)

I need a new monitor and the best my machine can really do is 1080p/60fps, so for the time being I just want to get a really nice 1080p monitor.

If I get 144hz, am I able to set the refresh rate to 60hz and have it function as a regular 60hz monitor for games where I can't hit 144?

Whatever gets the best reviews/response. However, benq is overhyped Bose garbage. You're simply paying too much for little improvement in comparison to other monitors. I bought a mouse similar to their fk1 version and mine was 40 dollars cheaper. Still works to this day too, with all the features and benefits that the fk1 has.

2012-2013 was the best year for Dell ultrasharps

But he specifically asked for a 1440p monitor

1440p is old haps
1440p is so irreverent that they have trouble sourcing panels and have to use 4k panels and limit the resolution to 1440p

>If I get 144hz, am I able to set the refresh rate to 60hz and have it function as a regular 60hz monitor for games where I can't hit 144?

Of course. Why would you want to limit it anyway? Just let the system output as many frames as it can.

rgb gamer tcon boards when

>want to have a nice second monitor for colors
>primary monitor is 144hz and getting a second one at 75hz will lower it unless I turn off a setting
>turning it off occasionally causes screen tearing

What do?

What scaling problems exactly? I have that exact monitor and have no scaling problems. I only have my browser set to standard 120% zoom.
Only problem with that monitor is that it has some IPS glow and the built-in profiles are shit

Should I buy the LG 32GK650F-B? It's for gaming,watching anime etc.

FUCK. I purchased this 2 weeks ago and thought it was a loose cable. Shit. I want to be lazy and ignore it, but from what I read it just gets worse. Think I can play it safe and ignore it?

Attached: 1536519104699.gif (220x160, 1.9M)

Just got and setup that new Acer ET322QU revision that comes with the adjustable stand. Color is pretty nice, and 32 inches is actually fine for 1440p, I was expecting some crustyness to the text or something but it all looks good. The only negative is the stand was very super fucking clearly used before and beat to shit in the under/inner side. Looks pristine once it's all set up and standing, but they pretty clearly had a surplus on these and decided fuck it, let's throw em on a ET322QU and call it a new revision.

Now I have a 32" 1440p ips, and a 27" 1440p TN 144hz. I think I'm set, lads.

Windows scaling, at least for windows 10, causes gamma issues in windowed applications. The only way to fix this is by setting scaling to default or 100 percent. Don't understand why this happens but I just deal with it.

>tn
>I think I'm set, lads.
Lol

For what it's worth, it's the sg2716dg. It's still nowhere close to my new one but as far as TN goes it's pretty alright.

I guess, but I could never deal with another tn panel again. After going with an IPS panel, with at least 75 hz, I can never go back to tn.

because screen tearing is the worst