Give it to me straight, I'm second year CS student and have many hobbies outside of CS...

Give it to me straight, I'm second year CS student and have many hobbies outside of CS, but don't have time anymore to pursue them. Before college I was a lot happier and a lot more creative, social, outgoing, etc.. Now I feel like I'm grinding my ass off everyday like a maniac and there's never enough to learn. I dropped my hobbies to really get good at programming etc, but I feel dreadful. Does it get better when you have a job? I don't want to program for 8 hours per day and then come home and do anything related to programming anymore. Sure it's fun and learning can be fun, but I fucking hate to think in programming sense, I feel like my soul is dying and I'm becoming a robotic thinker as a person.

What do I do? Manage my time better and do other shit also or what? I'm doing fine with programming, math and algorithms, data structures, networks, stats, etc.. Sure, you go to lectures and do exercises, assignments and get better.. but holy fucking shit, at the end of the day this really isn't fullfiling me. Really looking for advice guys. I'd rather be in army and pursuing to become a scout sniper and going to mission and write literature in my free time and program a little, rather than this fucking robotic lonely grinding, while being surrounded with completely autistic and robotic classmates, doing this only for salary. The only reason I'm still doing it is because I want to go into military after college and try to help them with my skills for few years.

Attached: 1549115289603.png (1795x1795, 878K)

>Does it get better when you have a job?
HAHAHA
NO
It is AWFUL. Chances are you will NEVER get to do any intellectually stimulating tasks, but rather end up maintaining some poop system that someone who was grossly incompetent invented a long time ago.

yang gang 1000$ a month

I'm not a fucking NEET mentality retard and had job for few years before going to college. You can yang gang suck my dick for 1000$.

I'd rather be thrown into pit fire with my mates in some shithole in the middle of nowhere, than sit on my ass at home killing time, because I have nothing better to do and don't know what I want to do with my life. There's nothing worse than unfullfilling NEET life.

most other jobs don't pay as much as programming and programming will get you around 100k after a few years. You can get more if you are a super star or live in an expensive area but w/e. Some company have good work life balance and you can work remote 1-2 days a week. Generally you don't program for 8 hours a day at work .

I understand programming is a safe carrer and will be a big safety in terms of building house, raising family and having time off, while being in clean office. I also know there's more customer work to be done than programming when you are good, but I think I actually hate writing code. I can push myself into doing it, but I never do it out of boredoom or to make myself happy to realx.

>programming will get you around 100k after a few years
in the current climate
the bubble cannot last forever

you still get $1000 even if you work retard.
that's why it's better than welfare we have now, if you work you stop receiving the welfare so no one wants to get a job

I should mention I'm not from US, but EU. Where I'm from 30-50k€/year allows me to live like king basically.

Just keep doing it. Trust me, if you quit and do some other shitty job you will be hating yourself when you hit your late 20s.

I'm not even from US, but do you fucking think I'm so shallow as a fucking person that extra 1k$ per month will make my life fullfiling enough for me to still not have carrer path problem?

Stick your 1k$ in your ass. You also have to be incredibly delusional, if you think you are going to get your chink elected. Even Jow Forums and whole Jow Forums didn't get Trump elected, no matter how much you might think you did. The fucking delusion some of you are living in is just sad to see.

You made me think, I actually wrote down on paper "How would I feel at 27, if I didn't finish college?".

I have 1 more year and 2 more years for masters, but still.. I get these doubts constantly lately and feel like I need someone to talk to, that would understand me I guess, since I'm not 18 year old HS fresh college boy.

At the very least, you're doing some skilled work. Would you rather be doing menial labor, or making some figures to invest into a potential early retirement?

The trick is to just work less hours. You'll just make more than most people by a wide margin AND you get to enjoy it.

Take a personality test and an aptitude test then look for vocations that match your style.

I'd be the perfect journalist and interviewer, since I like to write and go out to the pub, meet new people, make them laugh, tell few stories, make them open up about quickly, since they immidiately see I'm an easy going guy that likes to have fun and is open to talk about stuff and has opinions. Even others told me that, I can make anyone open up about themselves and make them laugh in couple of minutes. I'm also interested in various subjects and it doesn't matter if it's history we are talking, finance and trading, politics, women, or whatever. I have always something to talk about and stories/jokes/opinions.

However, programming..programming is fucking robotic field.

Like all things, it sucks in the beginning, and you have to put a lot of time in to be proficient. Once you get decent at it, it'll will come to you a lot easier. Just stick with it
t. 3rd year CS student who hated 1st and 2nd year but now that I'm no longer a brainlet it's enjoyable

haha just wait till you start working haha

ever wonder why the male suicide rate is so high? haha

I've been working 3 years before going to college, so I know how it is. However, I'd never kill myself, because I live in first world and am not some potato farmer in 3rd world shithole that can't even afford bread.
If you feel suicidal in first world, then you should really think about your world perspective and who your friends are. Unless you had childhood trauma that was never looked into, you shouldn't have excuse for your self pitying stupidity. I had it pretty rough growing up compared to 95% of classmates, unless their parents an heroe'd, but I'd never kill myself. At least go travel, do drugs, go insane in a good way if you wanna kys and then re-evaluate.

Change your study/vocation. If you need help making decisions or taking action, find a counselor and get them to tell you what to do.

>who your friends are
Don't have any

>do drugs
Illegal and no contacts

>go travel
That would be extremely stressful

Checkmate.

I know I'm not getting carrer safety in any other field, as I'm getting it with CS. I have few jobs pretty much lined up already almost.

You are going to kys, you have nothing to lose. If you have nothing to lose, how the fuck are you feeling stressful? Just don't go and shot innocent people, because you are feel sad or w/e.
Just buy shroom kit online and grow them under your bed you fucking faggot. Then read few philosophy books, listen to some McKenna and drop 5grams like a boss. I'm pretty sure if you go outside to some random party at club, you'll easily get contacts, unless you are too autistic to talk to people.
If you cam to conclusion you wanna kys, that should make you feel free in some way. And since you are free and don't give a fuck anymore, go Tyler Durden mode and build form there on.

The opposite is almost true. Programming computers is a very high fad, boom and bust arena. Plumbers on the other hand are always needed.

Change your major. Idiot.

What a patronising arrogant tosser you are user. You might have some work to do yourself.

Attached: ufkmepte1ru01.jpg (1024x1024, 54K)

If not software dev, I can always be web dev. There's literary two to three offers everyday on fb page I'm part of, seeking for web devs and other positions.

There's so many companies looking for people that can program in out country that I don't understand the "it's saturated meme", when one fb page gives me tens of opportunities every week. Not to mention if I actually used google and seeked out job.

Nah, I know how it feels to be depressed and as said, I went through some rough years myself also that my retarded parents put me through, since they had problems they didn't know how to resolve in a human way.

I'm just saying that as someone who felt in his skin for few months. Arrogant? Whatever, just trying to give him some insight so he doesn't feel bad and get's some motivation to live and breathe.

irl people say the opposite. not many people know computers in the general population

Where in the EU are you? Must be Eastern block if 50k a year lets you live like a king.

Good luck.

Attached: FN-AA443_view_s_P_20170504080542.jpg (749x499, 88K)

Build your workflow around learning. But also realize the way you've been taught to learn isn't applicable for your degree program. If you switch it up you'll have an easy time, but the transition learning curve is a bitch.

You might have to google around for some of this crap.
Read the PDF paper on literate programming in emacs. It's a famous one so it's not hard to find.

Watch John Kitchen's setup on reproducible research in Emacs using his sci-max Emacs distribution. It'll seem overwhelming but just try to keep track of the core principles for now.

Watch Jon Gjengset's video on his Rust development setup. No, you don't need to care about Rust. We're getting to a point where you'll simply have a very effective notetaking process that includes your CS / math principles. Luke Smith's LARBS might be helpful to look at for a simpler example.

Read the book Deep Work. Start going to bed and waking up at the same time every day. For me, the first 4 hours of the day are for deep work and coffee. These hours are usually before anyone else wakes up.

Try out Spacemacs / DoomMacs for their pre-configured and polished org-mode. The end goal is to have as few barriers as possible between deciding you should get to work and actually starting, while also minimizing cognitive load.

At this point you can open a PDF in Emacs with org-mode next to it and take notes on the PDF, including working code blocks all in plain text. You can use org-agenda to schedule your whole life and use org-agenda plus org's pomodoro timer to automatically track all the work you do along with metrics. This workflow alone is enough for you to get through any undergrad with enough free time to start working on your own shit now. It's the workflow that makes PhD students more effective too.

Watch the above videos, try to emulate some of what's going on in them and then go back and watch them again. If you do this and put effort into it you'll get the hang of it all in a month or so.

Oh and if this just seems like a major pain and doesn't seem cool or neat in any way to you, maybe take the hint and find something else. You can benefit in many fields from what you've already learned, but if you want to continue in CS / Math then it's going to be all about workflows and consuming deep information quickly. I know you can do it, but if it's not for you that's absolutely fine. Just don't lie to yourself and get a painful CS degree that you don't even want to use.

Personally I think a lot of CS people who don't like the deep work part of it could do well by learning a bit of automation, 3d printing, and CNC (MPCNC) on their own time and starting a small business using modern open-source DIY tech. I'm personally working on an automated farm-to-table food cart in my free time, while doing everything down to a custom Pi-powered drive-thru with a screen.

You're perfect for sales. Literally do medical device sales or pharmaceutical sales or tech sales. You'll make more money than a programmer and even better since you're outgoing

it can be better right now. learn how to balance your priorities and manage your schedule.

kill yourself

no, that's not a sarcastic malicious reply, it's geniuine advice. with the miserable hellscape that the tech industry is, you may as well kill yourself if getting into it is your plan.

Attached: EH.png (1637x1024, 671K)

I don't want to sell bullshit products.

Nah, there's no way I'd ever find a reason ti kms. Sure, life gets you down etc. but nah, pussy, money, friends, family > killing my self.

>destroying your body for shit pay
inb4 something about working 70 hours a week and making 100k as a plumber

>mfw managing python 2.7 projects that someone decided to copy the dependencies to the repo ages ago and of course never mantain them
could be worse but fucking why

>bullshit
Gotta prospect my dude. I'm planning on taking my insurance exam for a company that sells insurance to 65+ boomers. Literally every company sells the exact same shit with a few differences here and there. No lead pays, training salary for as long as I need (within reason like 2-3 months tops), talking to different people, and such. Believe me, I've come into contact with plenty of shit sales companies. Can give some lessons on what to avoid if you'd like. Programming is a rotten job only enjoyed by nerds who need to have a superiority complex/literal autists. Be completely honest with yourself

it does not get better after you have a job and you cap out at $100k max in the city I'm in

if you don't enjoy it now it's not worth the grind

after 5 years I'm considering a change myself

>Does it get better when you have a job?
Fuck yeah it does. I was a 2.5'er and still have a CS job in the industry where I sit on my ass all day and reply to the occasional email in between shitpost marathons. Don't even need to come into the office too.

You go to work to earn a living not to have one.

Not him but I'm curious, what about it makes it so even 100k makes the job not worth it?

I have so much fun programming in java and python but learning C is unbearable and grindy. I literally have to force myself and I feel miserable and feel like waste of time
am I a brainlet?

Attached: 1508724710881.jpg (619x387, 31K)

no, c's just shit

taxes

no career growth (even if you become a team lead or whatever, then you just lost hard skills and only gain "people" / soft skills)

you could easily make more as a consultant or business major or risk management person

or better yet somehow learn to combine them

but I'm a capitalist stooge and only care about money

Yes.

I wish C was my first language
trying to learn it after learning Java feels so redundant

any tips on exiting the brainlet phase? im in year 5 and still feel fucking hopeless.

>What do I do?
Kill yourself. It's never too early

drop out and work at mcdonalds user, you aren't set out for this

welcome to real life
it's pretty shit

Attached: 1479624308177.jpg (1280x720, 176K)

I don't have the soft skills and will never have them
70k is a lot of money to me not to mention 100k
it's also false, netflix devs make 300k

my advice for you is to go work at mcdonalds for like a month. seriously. once you do that you will understand just how fucking bad working can be. i had to go back to uni after graduating with a worthless degree, and then working minimum wage. i'm 2-3 years older than the kids in CS, but good fucking lord their work ethics are so low. you can tell none of them have faced any real adversity. go work at a fucking gas station or something