/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - very high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1366049107494.jpg (1632x1224, 343K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2w9n7HReVQY
youtu.be/BnNl1lhFbzQ?t=318
vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=233145382711&category=27386&pm=1&ds=0&t=1552694395186&cspheader=1
pcpartpicker.com/product/Vpdqqs/nzxt-case-cas340ww1
pcpartpicker.com/product/g9rcCJ/cooler-master-case-rc912kkn1gp
pcpartpicker.com/list/DZBhzY
pcpartpicker.com/list/xV6pP3
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CVRTBVD?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title
pcpartpicker.com/list/zFZ9D2
pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na
amazon.com/Winter-snow-Solid-Laptop-Memory-Cooling/dp/B07KQT3F4Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?keywords=white nvme heatsink&qid=1552703346&s=gateway&sr=8-11
youtube.com/watch?v=ebFfH7LoiwE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why not the 9900K?

Are there any dangers of buying a preowned GPU? I don't want to get ripped off.

Pointless overkill for gaming, 2700X is almost as good for tasks like video editing. The only reason I had it listed before was that it has an iGP, while the 2700X does not

Just ask if the card has ever been registered with its manufacturer. If not, you can claim to be the first owner if it dies under warranty. Keep in mind that a lot of Pascal graphics cards could be reaching the end of their warranty period. For instance, the 1070 was released mid 2016, and graphics cards usually have a three year warranty

please respond

Attached: IMG_1013.jpg (651x655, 58K)

I was planning on getting a 2060 for 1080p 144hz but I just saw that a local store might have a vega 64 for only $40 more on clearance. Should I try and go with the vega or stick with the 2060?

Attached: (`・ω・´).jpg (512x323, 12K)

I bought a roccat raivo back when they were cheap, look for something similar material wise.

Bottom is rubber so it doesn't slide, top is a hard plate.

>got a large heatsink for the CPU
>its pressure strenght is huge
>feels like something will break
>actually fits correctly
>OS doesnt boot, mobo claims it was CMOS reset
>after much fiddling reenable windows
jesus that was a scare
now everything is working so i know it wasnt some weird ass crack i did on the mobo or some shit
im actually afraid of rebooting my PC now

after some research its equivalent to a 75% OC even without a OC
if you are thermal throttled that should be more

From a market place or refurbished?

Bought 2nd hand 2 times without any problems, make sure that you pick it up in person and see the card running.
Do not pay in advance if you are picking it up and if they send it do not pay the entire amount until you got it and have it running without problems.
Check about what the average 2nd hand prices are, do not easily fall for people approaching you with their cards and certainly do not impulse buy thinking you are offered a 'chance', it's all fish in the sea, be responsible cause it's a lot of money.

Ask why the guy is selling and what he used it for. In my cases it was a gamer who had a small monitor but wanted to go from an 1080 to a 2080, card was a year old and he wanted to sell cause he heard other people sell their old ones every time a new card comes out to afford it. He didn't really need the 2080 with that monitor but I wasn't complaining.

>mfw actually about to unironically mount my 2080 aorus vertically in my tiny case because aesthetics
ask me anything
youtube.com/watch?v=2w9n7HReVQY

are you sure theres space between the GPU and the wall of the case for it?

I'm using the cooler master vertical brace so it's quite close to the MB and back of the case. I need to cut out of the spokes between the metal ports on the case though.
youtu.be/BnNl1lhFbzQ?t=318

The 2060 performs about as fast as a Vega 64 with 100W less power.
No reason to go Vega, unless you're hankering for an extra 2GB of VRAM.

>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

This isn't a joke anymore. When I built my PC a few years ago, 120 GB was fine. I played Black Ops 4 recently and it was like 80GB itself.

does anyone have experience selling builds? i feel like it wouldn't be too hard since fortnite and shit is pretty popular nowadays

brainlet here finally gonna update my toaster
friends giving me an old rx470, was wondering what processor to get, mostly for gaming,
was looking at 2600, would it be worth it to wait for ryzen 2?

vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=233145382711&category=27386&pm=1&ds=0&t=1552694395186&cspheader=1

Is this a decent Gpu for $535AUD?

de=dusting your machine with an industrial air compressor at work
y/n?

Attached: death by jpeg.webm (1280x720, 2.52M)

As long as you don't burn the fan motors out and use it from a distance

Should be fine as long as you don't go full retard by getting too close and take care not to spin the fans with the air jet.

Alright!
Now to sneak in my machine during lunch break.

Attached: 1432574276060.jpg (1920x1080, 216K)

You just can't ask your supe to let you do it after work?

Big home improvement retail chain, plenty of red tape and SOP to do anything nonstandard with standard equipment. Safety violations, yada yada. I work that second job on weekends, though, and SM isn't there on those days. As long as one of my coworkers doesn't raise a stink, I should be fine.
I'm going to take a calculated risk, but man am I bad at math.

Attached: 1435180426880.gif (480x270, 1.35M)

>bought a used 1080ti w/ 2 year warranty for 4k gaming
>$600
did i fuck up

yes

Even with warranty I wouldn't have spent more than $500

will be entertaining to see all the resistors fly away

get a fucking can like everyone else

couldn't find anything under $550 that wasnt clearly a mining card with no warranty.

pcpartpicker.com/product/Vpdqqs/nzxt-case-cas340ww1

pcpartpicker.com/product/g9rcCJ/cooler-master-case-rc912kkn1gp

which case bros

>HAF 912
is this 2011

2060 or a 1660 TI for a 144hz monitor?
(will be paired with a ryzen 2600)

Going for a white themed setup cause my desk is white. Don't like LEDs so I'm avoiding them like the plague. Any advice

Attached: partlist.jpg (1145x891, 96K)

but my friend has that case

1: The 7700k is WAY outdated.
Switch to either an i7 8700k, or an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
2: get a motherboard to match the above CPU suggestions
Alright otherwise.

Quad cores are dead and Ryzen killed them.

The modern version of that case is called the Cooler Master H500P Mesh

>7700k

no

it's a real old case design with the price of much nicer cases. It's all metal but it has fuck all for any modern conveniences you might want, heavy guy as well. The Amazon page still has pics with an "ATI Radeon" card in it to explain how old it is.

well, it's better than my fx-6300. But the 8700k is only a little more pricey so I guess I'm opting for that.

go ryzen ya dweeb

shit
is the other one ok? just need a $70-$80 case

seriously go for the AMD Ryzen. ALl new architecture unrelated to FX. It has just been crushing Intel in price to performance.

Attached: 7700k vs 1700.webm (960x540, 2.2M)

The S340 is also outdated and was recently replaced. It's replacement is the NZXT H500
Still, the S340 or H500 are both great cases

I've just been using AMD for so long I figured I'd give intel a shot. But alright, if the performance is that good I guess I'll add that to my parts list.

for the first time in awhile AMD has the best price/performance outside of the low end, plus AM4 should stick around for a good long while

Ryzen is good price/performance. OC'd Intel CPUs perform best in games (8700K. 9700K, 9900K).

How does this look?

pcpartpicker.com/list/DZBhzY

well this is a gaming machine, if it was a work machine I would've picked ryzen without question.

Well, no matter what it is, if you can still wait a few months you probably should, since Ryzen 3000 is coming out and looks very promising. If not, that's how things are now. Ryzen 2000 has good price/performance, but Intel is fastest for games (and game emulators).

Looks good.
My only change would be changing the 970 Evo SSD to a Crucial MX500 500GB for about $69. You won't notice a difference between Sata and NVME SSDs in normal shit. So get the cheaper sata drive with more storage.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/DZBhzY
Get the 1Tb M2 from w2 and a cpu cooler if you plan on ocing the 2600 to 4ghz since the 2600 cpu cooler will go to 80c. If you want thermal compound, go with the grizz 1g
pcpartpicker.com/list/xV6pP3

Never done M.2, when getting a heatsink I just need to make sure it fits the same form factor as the drive right?

Attached: EKWB M.2 Heatsink.jpg (640x480, 19K)

a pal of mine wants a PC that's sub-$650 that's decent but I want to give him room to upgrade in the future. This is what I've assembled. Keep in mind he's upgrading from a core 2 duo laptop with integrated graphics. Where did I fuck up?

Attached: friendpc.jpg (701x627, 56K)

What's the cas latency on the ram?

15. This was an element I've never considered when buying RAM. It sounds important though.

I got a third fan, and I got 2 in my case already, one in the front and back. Should my third fan be out in my front too or on the top of my case? Which is best for airflow?

Put the third in front for intake, if you can balance out the airflow always have more intake than out otherwise you'll pull air from openings in your case where there isn't a filter

The lower it is the better. You might be able to get away with a 580 4gb and a cheapo 144hz monitor, but idk. it looks like you did pretty well

I was wondering if there was a better wireless solution I could've gone with. I'm assuming dedicated is better but it'd still be nice if I could find a cheapo motherboard with integrated for him.

Thanks user, I appreciate it

Based OP thanks to not being a retarded namefag.

You could futureproof and go with the msi gaming pro carbon since it has built in wifi. One of the best boards for high-end overclocking so he wouldn't have to buy a new mobo when he upgrades his cpu, but it would cost you more. Your build looks fine honestly

hmm i like that idea, thanks user.

Dude just go with a 2600 + cheap GPU. That CPU is going to hold him back if he decides to go big later. Also recommend getting 16 GB of 3000 MHZ CL16 RAM as the bare minimum.

AHHHH should I wait or get this?? and if I were to get this, which motherboard would I pair it with?? already got th e ram covered, psu and gpu covered.

Attached: AGHAGHGA.png (537x175, 20K)

Wait for 3600

Yeah, most NVMe are 80mm. Get one for a “2280” form factor one.

Also:
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CVRTBVD?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

Here's' what I would do user unless you've already bought the 2070, this would be about the same price
pcpartpicker.com/list/zFZ9D2

recomend me a high quality 650w psu. It NEEDS to be atleast 80+ gold

Corsair
Evga
Seasonic

Just browse through the pcpartpicker list.

nigga that's 2,000 dollars

The 2070 didn't list a price and that costs $500 so it's the same price

did you send me the wrong link or something

Attached: mate.jpg (192x43, 2K)

seasonic 650 gold 80+

pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

in the original post, the gigabyte 2070 does not have a price. since it doesn't have a price, the $500 dollars isn't accounted for. 1500 + 500 is 2000

Poorfag here. Worth replacing my r9 390 yet? I don't really play any new games and the only up and coming games that interest me are halo games which I assume I can handle no problem

I've got this one. You can usually find it at a great price and its rock solid. Also has a hybrid mode which will operate fanless if it's not warm.

amazon.com/Winter-snow-Solid-Laptop-Memory-Cooling/dp/B07KQT3F4Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?keywords=white nvme heatsink&qid=1552703346&s=gateway&sr=8-11

wait for navi

Obv. It better have better performance for under 200 usd tho

>Worth replacing my r9 390 yet?
not quite. Wait for navi. R9 390 is still good for 1080p

The R9 390 is about on par with an RX 580, so even jumping to a $200 GPU won't get you any more performance, just less power consumption.

honest suggestion, use a single stick of 8gb, he can buy the other stick 2 months later or w/e

480w might not be able to run all that stuff, you absolutely positive it can?

honestly you should try getting a used GPU to fund a PSU that could handle next gen GPU

oh, god sorry user I was misreading you. I thought you were replying to this

No worries user

>better power use
Neet living with parents :')
Still tho it caps out on some games when I'm going fit 144fps

is sff a meme? i don't overclock, never have. have never had dual GPUs or a RAID setup. i would appreciate the desk space

So long as you pick a good case, an SFF build can be just as powerful as a full mid-tower build.
One of my favorites to recommend is the Silverstone RVZ03

Attached: 51LGuOYO1bL.jpg (500x500, 37K)

Beyond formfactor, do M.2 SSD's have any advantages over traditional 2.5" SSD? WHat about disadvantages?

Should I stick with using a sata-based drive?

>Beyond formfactor, do M.2 SSD's have any advantages over traditional 2.5" SSD? WHat about disadvantages?
There's 2 different kinds of m.2 SSDs, Sata, and NVME.
Sata drives offer no benefit over a traditional 2.5" beyond form factor.
NVME drives are NOTABLY faster though, and make for a great scratch disk for video editing. The're no difference between a Sata m.2 or an nvme m.2 if just using it for your OS though

i got a m.2 instead of a regular sata ssd
they are faster that a regular ssd, seem to consume less watts and for what i researched are niche enought that some sellers are trying to get rid of it, even tho they can be much better that regular ssd

just dont buy WD green. they dont list write speeds for a reason.

RV-?
>Can''t fit a traditiona 3.5" drive unless you get the special edition
>Requires a SFW PSU
>Requires a shitton a cable management
>Many, popular graphics cards don't fit
>FInding a decent CPU fan is a bitch

SFF are fun, but not as your main computer. You have been warned.

alright gentlemen, tell me something bad of the GPU brand "colorful" or i will drop 500 for a RTX card

Get a hard pad, Glorious have a good one, or a thick cloth pad like the Qck heavy

The RVZ03 doesn't require an SFX PSU, but it is recommended. an ATX PSU will fit, it just makes cable management a bitch. And it can fit an EVGA 1070 FTW. I'd say it does fairly well, as well as keeping things cool.
youtube.com/watch?v=ebFfH7LoiwE

They're Chinese and of questionable quality as a result.

lads i would like to improve my ram. i have one 8gb ram stick (G.SKILL Value DDR4 2133 C15 1x8GB). i was told it would be better to get rid of this one. so, i wanted to upgrade it to atleast 12gb (1x 8gb + 1x 4gb) or 16 (2x 8gb). can someone help me out with it? thanks

Attached: 3121331.png (380x289, 15K)

Are you happy with your RTX 2060, GTX 1660 Ti or GTX 1660 purchase, midrange gaymurz?

Does it really matter which 2060 card you get or do they all function roughly the same?

Should I take the AMDpill.

2700X vs 9700K. I'd save over a hundred...

get a 16GB kit (2x8), with 3000 mhz and CL15