>amount of actually useful software

negligible :(

templeos.

braindead multitasking and no proper SMP support though
macintoshgarden.org

*QUACK*

no it was actually the 2nd worst operating system in widespread use in the 90s

Shit crashed all the time. Apple didn’t put out a good PS till10.4

You have to be joking. That piece of shit made Windows ME look stable.

I wish I could make my KDE setup look like this.

An OS is as good as the software it runs, and that thing didn't have shit.

Attached: 1550613031515.png (640x360, 100K)

>one app hangs
>whole OS hangs

>one app crashes
>whole OS crashes

MacOSX, (formally NeXTSTEP) is 100000x better than Classic Mac. Quite literally decades ahead of it's time.

>crashes for no reason whatsoever

It was shit

>*blocks your path*

Attached: arcaos.jpg (770x577, 26K)

Not how computers work, but whatever you say, retard.

>no bluetooth support
>no usb network interface support
>no terminal/shell
>no ntfs/ext support, only HFS
OH YES PLEASE BRING IT BACK

macintoshgarden.org

Mac OS classic was remarkably stable for one and very unstable for others. The extensions you had loaded pretty much determined stability. That said it did have the flaw that an app crash could crash the whole OS. (It's false that the OS had no memory protection. But it did not have robust MMU backed memory protection where a process has its own address space. So some memory errors would be caught and the app safely closed; others could bring everything down.)

It wasn't the best OS of all time but it was the best consumer OS for the time. Windows 3 and 9x were shit and systems like Amiga just weren't as comfy and didn't have the same level of support.

>Mac OS classic was remarkably stable for one
That should say "some".

Nothin personnel, kiddo.

Attached: Fsn_IRIX.png (1600x1024, 835K)

Duck that noise, OS7 was better

>Mac OS classic was remarkably stable
Lol na.
I've got a power Mac 6400/180 next to me that disagrees. Its a fun box+is to play with but its way WAY less stable then win9x, which is saying something.

Any problems you're having are the results of your own stupidity.
Stop using programs/extensions that were made by a 16 year old in their bedroom.

Both operating systems have literally the same problem when it comes to stability, aka the same reason for it.

>Any problems you're having are the results of your own stupidity.
>Stop using programs/extensions that were made by a 16 year old in their bedroom.
>Both operating systems have literally the same problem when it comes to stability, aka the same reason for it.
I'm using nothing but stock os 7.5.5 or is 9.1 (depending on which harddrive I boot from. No non-apple extensions, and all official apple updates installed. Still shit out the entire os running some games, especially ones for system 1-6. Actually had better luck with installing a 3rd party 86k emulator from Connectix.

is that based on OS/2?

Yes.

That sounds it might actually be a hardware issue, probably bad RAM.

>I've got a power Mac 6400/180 next to me that disagrees.
Sample size = 1.
Relevance = 0.
I've supported rooms full of these machines, while the Windows guys were tearing their hair out trying to keep 95/98 up.

I used Mac OS 9 back in the day (I'm 35) and it was shit. Cooperative multitasking. Need I say more?

Is there any good memory testing applications for PowerPC macs? I don't have any other x86 hardware that can take the 5v dimms I've got on the board, and the 6400/180 has 8mb of RAM built in to the motherboard as well.

I never cared much about that when I was using one as a general desktop where I was usually just focusing on one application at a time, but then when I tried using my G4/500 as a DJing box it was pretty painful to work with while I was loading playlists into it.

>I used Mac OS 9 back in the day (I'm 35) and it was shit.
You were 10 years old.
You only used it for Oregon Trail and dodgy .gifs.

I wish I knew about it decades ago