/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: rms.jpg (2344x3046, 3.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.wallabag.org/en/admin/installation/requirements.html
the-eye.eu/public/Games/Linux/
gnu.org/doc/fsfs3-hardcover.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install GuixSD

think I'll get to it eventually. installed the package manager but haven't really touched it yet.

someone please

Attached: 1533680541216.jpg (730x500, 94K)

Getting sick of my old ass Compaq laptop that can only run lightweight distros. I'm going to get a Thinkpad eventually and use only Linux since I want to learn to use it better as I also want to start looking into Linux certifications. I'm leaning towards openSUSE, Fedora, or Debian. Any input?

sounds fine to me, do you want recommendation for thinkpads or distros or what?

If you're American, use Fedora and look towards RedHat certs. If you're European, Suse and look towards their certs.

Wouldn't bother with Debian in either case, because the other two are directly tied to relevant corporations for certifications, so honestly there's no reason not to become familiar with their distros and toolchains. CentOS would be even better for learning about RedHat's distro, but I can't honestly recommend that for desktop use.

Not Thinkpads, I watch that thread to get ideas on what I want I'm looking for opinions on distros

I am American. I had a sneaking suspicion that Fedora would *probably* be the best of what I had asked.

I'm the only one with tearing problems in Ubuntu 18.04 with nVidia Drivers and a GTX 1070? No gayming, just videos.

having a problem with writing to an existing hd that I've hooked up to my ubuntu box, I've tried
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/drivename
and it seems to work temporarily, but then it bugs out and I get error messages in deluge only associated with torrents being written to that drive.

What filesystem?

the hd says fuseblk
the ssd ubuntu is on says ext4

Finally got around to using stow, it's pretty neat.

How do I install php extensions on an ubuntu webserver?

I'm trying to install wallabag on my webserver. I'm following these instructions: doc.wallabag.org/en/admin/installation/requirements.html but when it says I should have these php extensions install, I don't know how to check if I have them/download them.

My external hard drive enclosure won't spin down. The "access" light is constantly lit. It wasn't always like this, I think. It still spins even when I unmount it. It only stops when I shutdown the computer. Using Debian. Please help.

iotop shows nothing but 'kworker'

Attached: cute insp.jpg (4096x2664, 1014K)

henlo frens,
I have ubuntu 18.04 installed on a 10GiB partition. But it is nearly full so I get error messages.
1. Why is my partition full, although I have almost nothing installed besides Chromium, emacs, sublime?
2. What can I do to solve it?
thanks in advance duds

$ php -m

what's the error messages

I downloaded a file from this link -> the-eye.eu/public/Games/Linux/
But it's a .tar file, how do I install it / run it ?

I'm running on Manjaro/cinnamon if that helps

Extract the archive baka

I did, and there are just these files inside

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-16 13-26-47.png (801x581, 41K)

Is it your first day using a computer?

Which distros have the best GNOME, XFCE and KDE set ups out of the box?

Attached: 1550106043504.jpg (256x256, 52K)

Can't extract the zip, it gives some error, one other file I downloaded has these within after extracting the .tar, I know extracting one should extract all maybe the utility I'm using is incapable of it, but I don't know what I'm doing to begin with.

Manjaro KDE is better than Kubuntu(Ubuntu KDE) I can tell you that much

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-16 13-30-11.png (761x581, 44K)

>gay
haha

[root@thecube ~]# mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
mke2fs 1.45.0 (6-Mar-2019)
Creating filesystem with 488378385 4k blocks and 122101760 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 5e476382-f4ca-40c5-b012-8349b4f95270
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,
4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968,
102400000, 214990848

Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (262144 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
[root@thecube ~]# mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sda
mdadm: Unrecognised md component device - /dev/sda

what am I doing wrong here?

They are like not enough storage, the thing I need is more space and I don't understand why it takes so much space. I mean the OS, why an ubuntu takes 8+GiB space? I only have some basic programs installed

can any of you insurrectional feminisists even run apt-get update?

Do dpi adjustments work in linux yet? I wanna get a T480 with the 1440p screen, but I'll go with the 1080p if that shit is still broken.

what program that produces the error messages? ubuntu installer?

>what am I doing wrong here?
What are you even trying to do?

is it a bad thing to have superblock backups?
I'm trying to set up a mdadm raid array

Literally nothing you have written has anything vaguely to do with setting up an mdadm raid array. I have no fucking clue how what you are doing is supposed to have a relation to what you want to achieve. Either explain more, or read more.

I don't know for sure but it probably is the installer, the real problem I have is shortage of space.

>I have is shortage of space
Post your dicks
df -h

GNOME 3 is the best DE

be sure you have unzip and unrar installed
$ sudo pacman -S unzip unrar
change to the directory where Race_The_Sun_v1.455_LINUX-SPLATTER.tar is located
$ rm -rf Race_The_Sun_v1.455_LINUX-SPLATTER
$ tar xvf Race_The_Sun_v1.455_LINUX-SPLATTER.tar
$ cd Race_The_Sun_v1.455_LINUX-SPLATTER
$ for i in *.zip; do unzip -o "$i" -d ext && rm -f "$i"; done
$ (cd ext && unrar x *.rar ..)
$ rm -rf ext
$ chmod +x RaceTheSun.x86 RaceTheSun.x86_64
optional
$ rm -f file_id.diz splatter.nfo
to play the game, either run RaceTheSun.x86 (32-bit) or RaceTheSun.x86_64 (64-bit)
>pic related
pretty cool game
there's some kind of sci-fi vibe to it, I like it

Attached: 1532594405202.png (1366x768, 431K)

>adwaita icons apparently updated
>see this
No, thanks.

Attached: 2019-03-16-10:32:13.png (201x66, 17K)

My coworker had problems like this and he solved with loading a specific kernel module. But I don't which, sorry.

It's fucking garbage, but I'm still using it because the other DEs look like straight from 2010.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 3,9G 0 3,9G 0% /dev
tmpfs 786M 2,0M 784M 1% /run
/dev/sda5 9,1G 7,9G 753M 92% /
tmpfs 3,9G 12M 3,9G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5,0M 4,0K 5,0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 3,9G 0 3,9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/loop0 3,8M 3,8M 0 100% /snap/gnome-system-monitor/57
/dev/loop1 91M 91M 0 100% /snap/core/6350
/dev/loop2 15M 15M 0 100% /snap/gnome-logs/45
/dev/loop3 2,3M 2,3M 0 100% /snap/gnome-calculator/260
/dev/loop4 141M 141M 0 100% /snap/gnome-3-26-1604/82
/dev/loop5 35M 35M 0 100% /snap/gtk-common-themes/818
/dev/loop6 30M 30M 0 100% /snap/sublime-text/44
/dev/loop9 141M 141M 0 100% /snap/gnome-3-26-1604/78
/dev/loop8 141M 141M 0 100% /snap/gnome-3-26-1604/74
/dev/loop7 92M 92M 0 100% /snap/core/6531
/dev/loop10 35M 35M 0 100% /snap/gtk-common-themes/1122
/dev/loop11 13M 13M 0 100% /snap/gnome-characters/139
/dev/loop12 54M 54M 0 100% /snap/core18/731
/dev/loop13 36M 36M 0 100% /snap/gtk-common-themes/1198
/dev/loop14 91M 91M 0 100% /snap/core/6405
/dev/loop15 139M 139M 0 100% /snap/thunderbird/29
/dev/loop16 54M 54M 0 100% /snap/core18/719
/dev/sda2 96M 31M 66M 32% /boot/efi
tmpfs 786M 16K 786M 1% /run/user/121
tmpfs 786M 56K 786M 1% /run/user/1000
/dev/loop17 54M 54M 0 100% /snap/core18/782
/dev/loop18 68M 68M 0 100% /snap/sublime-text/51

Is i3 really the only tiling WM without autistic tier configuration? Things like having the statusbar on all monitors and only showing it when the mod key is pressed are hard as fuck to do in dwm/xmonad

You're an idiot. Statusbars have nothing to do with your window manager.

Where are we at with Wayland? Is it worth swithing over. I currently use i3 with Xorg, but Sway seems like an drop in replacement. Are there benefits in switching over? What about negatives?

dwm has its own statusbar without any third party program

Then use a different status bar.

Fedora KDE is Great but fucking HEAVY. This shit would take almost fucking 3 whole minutes to boot and open a browser, vs manjaro i3 takes about 30 seconds for me. On a thinkpad x201. Couldn’t tell ya about gnome because i hate it, and fuck XFCE because screen tearing is some literal 1990’s shit for your DE to be pulling.

>apt-get
Back to plebbit

If you don’t mind massive fucking bloat

Recent obongo uses a swapfile rather than a swap partition, I guess that takes up a lot of space.
I see you have no home partition. Data can accumulate in your home folder, especially in browser caches.

nah, I was just telling you about that doesn't mean I use dwm

What do you think is the icon theme with the best folder icon for viewing at large sizes?
For some reason I just can't be satisfied with any of the ones I've seen.
It's the 1 icon I see more than any other and I guess that makes me kind of picky about it.

It’s the only one who’s configuration file is written in plain text and requires no compilation. Even though compiling dwm takes like two seconds, still i3 is king of ease-of-use when it comes to tiling WM’s

Thanks user! currently ot's giving me 404 while installing unrar, pacman and gui package manager both, but I'll be sure to keep this and run it when I can,

Thanks again

/dev/sda5 9,1G 7,9G 753M 92% /

According to the machine you have just 753M free, which is quite unhealthy.

Attached: >18 loop mounts.jpg (420x374, 46K)

Use one with SVG icons.

>xhe hasn't moved to apt yet

>zer can’t pacman

gnu.org/doc/fsfs3-hardcover.pdf

>not portage
laughing_whores.jpeg

try running $ sudo pacman -Sy first

is Devuan a drop-in replacement for Deb or does it operate differently?

ok i give it another shot:
does someone know which service right before grub decides which Display to use? only have my second monitor working in docking mode and cant run xrandr to change it

it's basically debian without systemd

Guys, how do you pronounce WM? "wum"? "wee-em"? "double you em"?
How about dwm specifically? I'm at the point where I just say "dynamic window manager" because everything else sounds retarded

perfect, i'll give it a shot
thanks user

Basically debian where you need to use the traditional methods rather than the systemd methods for the few things not transparent.
Like the configuration of apache, postgres, npd etc are the same, but rather than using journalctl logs are in old text format you can read "normally" with grep, less, whatever you prefer.

Also, since the distro lacks systems it doesn't have things that hard depend on it.

vee-emm

I find it weird to pronunce
>double UU
but since English speakers do that all the time guess I'm the weird one.

i'm glad i'm not alone with this user.
i'm a kraut so i say wee-em, correct would be double u- em but it sounds kinda retardet

I want to make a productivity tracker for myself.
I was thinking I could keep a log of the current active window, then calculate how much I spend in each application.
Any ideas for how to make this decent?
Is there already something like it out there?

I have a debian server. I tried installing Wallabag and Nextcloud but I kept running into problems.

What's something that I can install that's easy. How can I learn more about databases?

So, what do I do in that case?
Is that a problem and how do I solve it?

Can I "grep" something that was already output on my console? For example I send apt list --upgradable

But then I realized that I forget to grep the output to find if one or another package is included. In this example I could easily resend the comment, but sometimes it is harder. There is any options besides copying the output manually and pasting somewhere else to check?

!! | grep pusy

this would need me to run the script again faget

vee-em means "virtual machine" though
Yeah, but wee-em sounds really retarded too. Or maybe that's because I'm French and saying W like "wee" is considered utter retardation in French, maybe it's not in English.

I was really hoping for some native English speakers to pitch in

if yo pipe grep it will redd std

Use tmux, then do [ to enter scrollback mode, then search with / (or ?) and use n (or N) as per usual. q to exit scrollback mode.

this is so autistic kek
i mean, just use double u when talking to native english speakers. we say w also like 'wee' too but a bit harder pronounced i guess.

as a native english speaker i can tell you that when we say "double u", only the letter comes to mind, not the fact that we're saying double and u, and so it's no stranger to say than any other letter

I don't think I've ever attempted to pronounce the initialism. I've always just said the full "Window Manager"

I'd use "Double-you Em" if I had to though.

dub-em

Attached: 1544471403285.png (500x500, 144K)

I recently reinstalled Kubuntu and I'm having issues with its DNS client. For whatever reason it doesn't receive the addresses of DNS servers from my DHCP server and tries to use 127.0.0.53 instead. After manually setting the DNS servers to /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/systemd/resolved.conf, it does query my internal DNS servers, but only gets servfail when I try to use nslookup. It's able to ping both servers though. Windows machines and Manjaro have no issues though. wat do?

But it makes dwm really hard to pronounce, for example. "Dee double-u emm". Just gay
I guess I'll keep using the full name

bspwm here, i know
but i don't think it's as much of a problem for native speakers

So I'm trying to install a linux on a usb stick. I created 1 partition from 0% to 100%, giving me an aligned 32 GB partition. Then I ran mkfs.ext4 with journaling disabled. It was taking way too long so I tried to interrupt the process. Not even kill -9 worked for some reason, so I unplugged the usb drive. Now it doesn't work anymore. I can't even use parted on it:

parted /dev/sdb
Error: Error opening /dev/sdb: No medium found
Retry/Cancel?

How do I fix this

Even bess-pee-wumm sounds less retarded than deewum: it's clear you're pronouncing an acronym, whereas deewum just makes you sound like a sperg.
Maybe I'll just say "I use Linux" and pretend I'm an idiot and that's all I know.

when do you even need to say WM?
i use openbox, but now that you've made me think about it, i don't think i've ever actually spoken "WM"
i would say either double-you-em or simply window manager, depending on the context
attempting to pronounce it like wim/wam/wum/whatever just confuses things, unless you know ahead of time that the person you're talking to is familiar with such pronunciation

>pic related, thanks

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-16 18-50-50.png (1366x768, 252K)

Looks like your USB drive is kill. Try it in another computer, another ports etc. If it works nowhere then it's broken for good.

>when do you even need to say WM?
When I tell people I use dwm. Which isn't very often - I don't run up to people and say "I use dwm btw" - but it looks unusual enough that whenever someone new looks at my screen (which happens time to time) they ask me what OS I'm using, and when I say "Linux" they look at me with a blank expression because they're probably imagining either an Ubuntu desktop or a default GNOME installation. So sometimes I clarify, "the window manager is dwm" - even if they don't know what a window manager is, the name is pretty descriptive so they probably get the idea that that's why my panel and statusbar look all weird.

If I used openbox or i3 or something it wouldn't be a problem but the fags at suckless picked, like, the most uncreative and retarded name possible. Especially considering every window manager is fucking dynamic, and dwm.exe also exists. But, that's what I'm stuck with.

Yeah it doesn't work anywhere. RIP. Is this a normal occurrence or is it just cheap ass (probably chinese) usb sticks that have this problem?

Anyone? I'd really want to use internet with my laptop. Everything seems to work just fine when I'm tethered to my phone, so I guess the issue is due to mDNS/Avahi or there's some incompatability between ubuntu and windows DNS servers.

Happens sometimes, nothing is perfect especially mass produced cheap chinese semiconductor based devices.

>Is this a normal occurrence
Nigger everything dies eventually, if you're asking whether we've created eternal USB sticks yet then no we haven't.
You could specify how old it was and whether it went through any kind of abuse (washing machine, strong EM interference, idk). Even then because manufacturing defects tend to follow a gaussian, you can't really conclude anything with a sample size of one.

If you want some other anecdotal evidence, pretty much none of my USB sticks have died yet, including several which are like 4-5 year old pieces of chinkshit I got for free at some conference. But then again I don't use most of them too often, they tend to just sit in a box.

right, we're on the same page
if i were you i would also assume the answer they want to "what is that" is just linux (or perhaps your distro's name)
if i used dwm i would just say it's dee-double-you-em, saying "dynamic window manager" isn't helpful if they don't already know about dwm, since as you said, that string itself /describes/ most other WM's

>if i were you i would also assume the answer they want to "what is that" is just linux (or perhaps your distro's name)
While that might work with normies, most people at my uni have at least some experience with Linux. All the lab computers are running CentOS with a default-looking GNOME, for one.
I guess I could just say the distro, instead. Although "void" is also such an edgy name that sometimes I'm afraid it'll make me look like even more of a pretentious hackerman. It's also not entirely accurate but that probably doesn't matter.

Well it's not like my usb stick is old. I bought it months ago and the only thing I'd used it for is linux install media. I copied an iso to it to install linux on my laptop

So I checked this out and why the fuck is Antichamber a 470MB .sh script? Looks to be some sort of self-extracting tar archive, is that common practice? I've never seen it before