How do I into embedded systems? Where do I start?

How do I into embedded systems? Where do I start?

Attached: 748577-636703545474260502-16x9.jpg (1920x1080, 300K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/504210
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Honestly probably Arduino or RPI

Embed a cock in your ass.

don't listen to webmonkeys, if you are not making your wafers from a bag of sand, you are holding it wrong

that would be an astable multivibrator

Here.
store.steampowered.com/app/504210

Attached: 1552146541495.jpg (550x850, 125K)

this or any other SoC like the Arduino. There are lots of options out there.

>bag of sand
so working embedded systems is equivalent to fondling boobers is what your saying?

Attached: 1552332676647.jpg (700x700, 128K)

Learn Javascript. You'll be working for Boeing quickly.

all I'm saying is, if you are going high level like these babbies you don't have the right to call yourself an embedded engineer. You have to hand pick your atoms and individually craft your transistors, otherwise just pay $$ to actual engineers to do the shit you can't.

Get an arduino, or even better just the atmega and an isp programmer. Screw around with fuses, timers and registers for simple projects.

Do you know any kind of programming?

(1/2)
My job is primarily embedded and systems R&D, here's some advice based on my observations:
Arduino is a really good way to get started. Play with it! They're super well-documented, and very fun to play with since the libraries are so intuitive and expansion boards are cheap.
Though Arduino is fun, it has a pretty low ceiling. If you're a collegefag, take an intro to microcontrollers class. Odds are, you'll be using a PIC24 microcontroller that, while no faster than the Arduino, is a lot more flexible and is 16-bit instead of 8-bit.
If you aren't a collegefag, Di Jasio's "Flying the PIC24" is the book that most burger universities use as the technical basis for their introductory microcontrollers classes. Just be prepared to read a book (god forbid).
This is where things get weird. There's not a lot of good hobbyist stuff more powerful than the PIC24. The arduino boards with ARM chips are gimped, and PIC32 is a hot mess architecturally and tries to lock you into their ecosystem. From here forward, look into microcontroller/small SBC demo boards, probably the former.

(2/2)
STMicroelectronics has a ton of demo boards for ARM Cortex-M3 and M4. I mentions STMicro specifically since their boards are popular among hobbyists (Personally, I like Infineon's XMC series more since they have better bang for your buck, but the community is pretty much nonexistent for them). These are the big(ish) boys- these chips (both the STMicro and Infineon ones) have insane IO capabilities, and are clocked way higher than anything I mentioned previously. This will also probably be your first time not using an IDE for a microcontroller. Makefiles, arm-none-eabi-gcc, and OpenOCD or Ozone (one of the two) will be your best friends from here on out. This hardware will give you a solid chance to write your first RTOS, learn how to implement things like file systems and task schedulers, and learn how to create systems that are highly fault tolerant. Go to /dpt/ for help with this stuff, I'm usually there. Best of luck!

Attached: 70354174_p0.jpg (564x800, 181K)

is that...

>while(1);

> This will also probably be your first time not using an IDE for a microcontroller

Mplabx (for pic) is a pretty good ide. sw4stm32 (stm32) is a eclipse based ide. All stm32 example projects are available as eclipse project (and 2 other IDEs I forgot the name of).

For learning the lowest level shit (no board support packages or hardware abstraction layers) I can recommend atmega 8 controllers. They have way lesser io/internal stuff and are easier to understand. I never worked with pic24 though.

Get an arduino and mess with the registers, program in pure c.

eclipse shit is pretty heavy.

It is, though imo it is easier to get started with the examples provided for it. Especially if you know how to eclipse (I don't)

not op but i appreciate this, thanks

Don't. It's a huge pain in the ass to program and even worse to debug.

I still remember using stupid LEDs and buzzers to debug my basic applications, needing to double check cables, pins, jumpers, when an unexpected mistake happened. Not to mention the platform that consisted on an old ass IDE, the countless user manuals (200+ pages PDFs), needing to look up what registers and bits to use...

When it finally worked it was really cool, but honestly, it's a mess.

Forgot to add - I used PICs as microcontrollers and MPLab as software. Never used Arduino, so I have no idea how that works.

OP here
Seems interesting, will check this out
Cool, I own an Arduino, never did anything with it though. Will start playing around with it.
>Di Jasio's "Flying the PIC24" is the book that most burger universities use as the technical basis for their introductory microcontrollers classes
Will definitely get that, does it teach general knowledge about embedded or is it really focused on the PIC24? Any book recs for Arduino?
>STMicroelectronics
Again, will check that out, thanks for the tip!
I know some JS but it seems to be somewhat marginalized in embedded development (correct me if I'm wrong), I'd rather work with C++ desu
Yeah, I know Java, lots of webshit, C++, rudimentary Python (I heard micropython isn't too bad, any opinions?) and UML

idk what's the deal with arduino
I went directly for Cortex-M0+ with STM32 board and it was good. Decent IDEs exist, e.g. TrueStudio (based on Eclipse, iirc recently bought by STMicrolectronics) which make it dead simple.

The roadmap:
C/ASM --> Arduino(-likes) --> building your own electronic cuircuits --> designing PCB's for specific tasks and programming their firmware.

riscv?