Anybody fell into DC power in home meme?

Anybody fell into DC power in home meme?
Was it worth it? How are your installations organised?
How are your PCs powered?

Attached: photo-main.jpg (640x480, 175K)

realistically impossible.

Why would anyone do that?

There are people who do it tho
Bcoz most consumer electronics and a lot of other stuff (like LED lamps) run on DC internally. And 1 big converter with many end devices has less losses in power than a lot of devices each with its own power brick.
Also UPSs work with virtually no losses in that config

>not knowing about wireless chargers
Tesla has always the last say.

Are they powered directly from 120v/230v AC? Or thru a AC-DC power brick?

I know Tesla is a winner. But on short distances I don't think I need to use AC when not necessary.
Solar panels produce DC and, if I recall correctly, wind turbines do too. Wouldn't it be stupid to convert solar power to AC just to turn it back to DC 30 meters down the line to power my tv/pc/network devices/led lights?

But why?
AC works just as fine and you don't have to mess around with it.

Wouldnt you still need lots of converters for everything?
5V USB
24V fans
15.5V laptop
230V coffee
Plus a frequency drive for every normal light bulb and motor (like washing machine).

How do people make this work?

I think his point is all the AC to DC power bricks are the mess.

They do waste a lot of energy and create a lot of clutter.
I would definitely prefer USB power sockets in the walls, powered by a single efficient converter.

DC can't produce shifting induced currents.
That is why Edison was BTFO.
>solar panels
They are a meme. You don't need them.
>wind turbines
They use alternators, so they produce AC (sometimes they convert it to DC and then back to AC though)

Not him but I think the idea is to run the washing machine, coffee maker, etc. off AC and only lower power devices off DC.

Changing voltage is easy and efficient.
And once USB power is the norm (which it already pretty much is) nearly every device will be designed to for either 5V or 20V.

>USB power sockets in the walls
There ARE already USB wall sockets, but I think they have the converter built in.
Now if there was a 5V dedicated DC line in the house, you would soon find yourself with another 3.3V line and another 12V line.

Less losses means lower power bill
In Europe they leave 230v as it is, then add one DC power network, eg 24V and wire DC things to it.
As in:
Fans, routers, PCs and lights thru 24v
Fridge, washing machine thru 230v
For USB, unfortunately you would need a brick

OP here. You are correct

>USB power is the norm
Just wait until Apple invents some new propietary connector and every gook maker follows suit.
What do, tear down the house and rewire it again?

>There are people who do it tho
as a proof of concept, or because they're morons with nothing better to waste their time and money on.

It's not REALISTICALLY something you should be doing.

>>As if installing Gentoo is

Looks like it's going the other way really. I think Apple will have to adopt USB-C soon, they've already done so on MacBooks.

>they've already done so on MacBooks.
They probaby did it only to be able to remove them in next year's macbook. Each new one has less ports.

Even if you find your secondary dc system obsolete, you can use old wires and just change the voltage, and maybe connectors

No but it sounds like a good idea for led bulbs. I imagine most of the failure is in the power handling circuitry and not the LED package itself.

Except for everyone using an RV that is nothing but 12vdc.

>Wouldn't it be stupid to convert solar power to AC just to turn it back to DC 30 meters down the line to power my tv/pc/network devices/led lights?

That is exactly what all your electronics already do. Well, 99% of them do. They either have a wall adapter or the "adapter" is inside the device (transformer and bridge rectifier to make it DC.) The DC-DC converters just adapter the power to whatever voltage is needed the internal adapters are just that instead of AC-DC. So, you can buy all the electronics you want in DC only versions in whatever voltage your power system uses (usually 12vdc, 48vdc, 96vdc.)

Any Apple user visiting me will just have to bring her wall socket to iToy power adapter dongle cable.

>Except for everyone using an RV that is nothing but 12vdc.
Yes, purpose built electronics. I thought we were talking about residential power.

All those devices can be bought for home use too. There's even companies selling devices for solar power systems. Normally, you need to search "off grid appliances" or whatever.

>Any Apple user visiting me will just have to bring her
Like any Apple user, let alone a female one, would ever visit your hovel.

Again, i'm not saying they don't exist, i'm saying it's a terrible idea.

>solar panels
>They are a meme. You don't need them

I paid about 3.5k for solar panels, I have literally not had to pay the electricity company a single penny. Solar panels are so cheap now you are retarded not to buy them.

>you are retarded not to buy them.
depending where you live.

Don't act like they're just as efficient wherever i live.

For your one specific location, maybe, for the vast majority of the planet the sunlight hours are well in excess of what you need.