Why arent you using devuan linux yet in 2019?

why arent you using devuan linux yet in 2019?

>debian
>no systemd

literally the best OS after OpenBSD

Attached: fffox56linux413miyodevuan.png (1597x1060, 233K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Without_systemd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i need my wifi to work

Is it Debian based, how easy is it to install Nvidia drivers?

I use MX. No systemd

This
Also what's the best distro for a laptop with nvidia GPU and intel CPU?

>unironically fork a distro because muh pid 1
Its selling point is being autistic, so no doubt it's on par with obsd for you.

>apt
No.

Why aren't you using Parabola GNU/Linux-libre?

why arent you using artix?

>arch
>no systemd

>Kernel 4.13
>Bash 4.4
What year is it?

does it have kernel version 4.20?

Because I'm using opensuse and it's working well enough for me.
Although I do miss using arch in the days of SysVinit.

it clearly October 2017 user.

weed lol

>pid 1 implements dns resolving, logind, and sandwich making
>you're ok with that
Thou lend your woman out so she can have intercourse with men other than you

You mean GNU/Linux.

Why aren't you using OpenBSD in 2019?
>openbsd
>not nsa/linux

Literally the best OS period

You mean the NSA/Systemd Operating System, of which GNU plus Linux are the very important userland and kernel, although not the only necessary components

windows

>can't compile a kernel
are you 12?

Attached: screen_1.png (807x327, 63K)

Because most of the tutorials you can find are for debian/Ubuntu and I don't know if those will still produce working results 90% of the time. And I'm not great with computers so I don't know how to do things like set up a vm to just try it anyway.

If I wanted to compile everything I would use Gentoo

what if you just want to compile the kernel?

Then all my other software is still outdated

are you? I use debian because I don’t have time to maintain arch.

But why not Gentoo?

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Without_systemd

>Taking explicit measures to avoid installation of systemd
>Current profile settings are usually enough to avoid systemd on a Gentoo system installed from a sysvinit + OpenRC stage3 tarball, provided a non-systemd profile has been selected. However, the following explict measures can be easily taken by concerned administrators.
>Globally disabling and masking the systemd USE flag
>Package masking systemd

But I am, OP.

That's what you think.

Attached: Screenshot-7.png (1366x768, 272K)

>kernel 4.9

Attached: 1552216023157.gif (380x285, 1.97M)

Yep, I haven't updated.

>not using best kernel 4.20
>OR kernel 5

My wifi works fine owo

Because I use arch

You mean FBI/OpenBSD?

I just went with Manjaro this morning at like 5am.

Shits cash.

I do
Any beowulf users here?

Attached: 2019-03-16-213251_2560x1440_scrot.png (2560x1440, 1.02M)

autist distro

Because MX Linux is the most complete distro

Anyone who uses devuan because of "muh unix philosophy" should be drawn and quartered.

Wifi works fine on my T410, X220, and the USB wireless adapter I use on my desktop. All of them run Devuan.

support for Arch and Gentoo is spotty or nonexistent for much of the software I use. Debian (and therefore Devuan) is more widely supported. 2 weeks with pacman was enough for me to realize it was literally no better or worse than apt, and gentoo was very underwhelming given how much time and effort it takes to configure and maintain.

How is it? I use ascii on all my machines. Seems to be a little bit easier on laptop batteries than Debian. I just prefer having 100% consistency on all my systems so I also run Devuan on my desktop.

What software do you use? Most software not available with Pacman can be found in the AUR

Its great actually, was a little irritated they put an installation report and the excess bloat. To do a dist upgrade you get another 100 packages but its solid. I have had it freeze up a few times but nothing crazy, the the policykit issue is solved so if your thinking about trying it go for it.

>support for Arch and Gentoo is spotty or nonexistent for much of the software I use. Debian (and therefore Devuan) is more widely supported.
This sounds strange. It's totally contrary to my experience. AUR is updated ridiculously fast, and gentoo can run anything if you understand how it works. Debian in contrast is so slow/outdated in many cases that it can be horrible to work with if you're dealing with newer stuff. I feel like Debian is fine if you're doing very conventional things, but it's no good if you're pushing.

Firefox 56. Based af

I have it on my secondary computer. Works great

Because I'm not stuck in the 90s

too old for my recent hardware
too old for my recent softwares
also you can remove systemd from your debian system and use whatever you want, you can bl systemd-based packages too
devuan is wasted efforts

I just use DOS/W3.1
The botnet doesn't even know what that is anymore

does it use debian repo?

Because I'm using OpenBSD.

>firefox 56
nice security risk

Attached: 1552770435926.jpg (334x334, 36K)

>using software so outdated it is even behind on CVE patches
this is the power of forktards, use an original distro faggot

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-17 07-43-52.png (1600x900, 1.77M)

>Debian
Although I will mention this is already not a good start, I will not go into further detail about it.
>no systemd
This is where the fun begins. Devuan has the most systemd of any non-systemd distro. It uses upstream Debian packages that are linked to libsystemd and such where applicable. The result is a horrible clusterfuck that includes having a shit ton of systemd disk bloat on your system on top of the other init system. If you don't want to use systemd, installing Gentoo is the only viable option nowadays. All other non-systemd distros are meme tier unsupported trash. Gentoo has at least some semblence of a maintainer and dev team behind it.
PID 1 does not do any of the things you listed.

you can, but you will run into some problems with the packages with systemd dependencies. Devuans repo is basically an exact mirror of debians minus those dependency issues.

>tutorials
just try things til it werks

yikes

Attached: oq3vr0j3psw01.png (480x854, 162K)

why would I use devuan when I can just do that:
>debootstrap --variant=minbase --arch=amd64 --include sysvinit-core stretch /mnt

and have miniman debian installed without all that systemd cancer?

Because by supporting systemd debian can never be part of the init freedom movement

I tried it a few months ago and a significant number of packages were still broken because they hadn't removed the systemd dependency yet.

>I just prefer having 100% consistency on all my systems so I also run Devuan on my desktop.

I find it's to do with hardware. I run Slackware on three machines but Slack will just not install on my converted Chromebook. Secondly, I'm putting together an 'academic laptop' for serious work which only has an SD card for a hard drive [which works seriously well with Devuan, one of the devs said I'm the first person he's known who's done it]. During the Slack install fdisk nor cfdisk detected the mmc so I couldn't use it. Still, that's not a big issue I think, since Devuan automates dependencies, I'll spend less time hunting them down when I should be doing some work.

The other big plus is that I can use a graphical equalizer for Pulse Audio in Devuan without having to mess around with alsamixer. in Slackware I had to disable Pulse to use alsamixer.

>Beowulf

Is just the coolest name ever for a Linux distro. Makes Debian's equivalent of Buster look rather pathetic by comparison.

what is slackware?
>never used systemd since the beginning of time

Because no systemd.

I did this and is fake

>debian
This is proble

then what it uses instead of systemd? system V init?
how long it takes to boot? 2 minutes?

Depends on your hardware, doesn't it. Even my netbook which runs Slackware on an Atom boots in less than a minute these days. Boot times are not really an argument anymore for not using SysV.

Follows the same package schedule as Debian so no.

yes they are
previously Debian booted for like 1m30s on a quite recent machine. After they switched to systemd it magically started to boot in 15s. I was totally shocked. Now using Ubuntu, same results.

does it have kernel version 5.0.1 then?

>hurr if what I want isn't provided by default then it isn't freedom
retard

>debian
Trash
>no systemd
Good

>gnome

1 - NetBSD >>> OpenBSD
2 - Because Void GNU/Linux exists. Its a standalone distro, doesnt have systemd, isnt based off of shitty outdated 'stable' debshit, and it doesnt use the shitty apt package manager.

Basically, because Im a fucking white man

>spotify
>kernel 4.9
>XFCE
>font: monospace
>google tab
This is a fucking horrible desktop. Go away.

/thread

Systemd is supreme!

Why do you care if your machine boots in 15s rather than 1m30s?

>spotify

Yes, it's convenient. I'm moving around a lot and don't have access to my vast mp3 collection. It's rather annoying.

>kernel 4.9

I haven't updated yet since I'm on a capped connection. Crazy I know that anyone is these days, but there you have it.

> Xfce

I fucking love Xfce, all my systems use it.

> monospace

I fucking love monospace fonts.

>google tab

I will agree with you on this one, I should use something better, but I'm just too used to Google.

>judging a distro for a GUI

>devuan unixtard
>reddit spacing out of habit

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Love Live! Sunshine!! - 07 [1080p]@00:07:35.664.jpg (1920x1080, 361K)

I was being sarcastic, nothing cracks me up like the cognitive dissonance that is the init "freedom" movement

Please tell me you're joking

No, I genuinely want to know. For what urgency is it that it boots 75 seconds faster?

Horrible package management system though.

Time spent waiting for boot up is time wasted, this has always been the case since the dawn of computing, you may act like this doesn't matter to you because of your irrational hatred towards systemd but if the speedup is true then there's no denying that it's impressive

twf when on void with a 4.19 kernel.

Attached: 2019-03-17-184907_654x338_scrot.png (654x338, 16K)

Isn't void up to like 4.27 or something

>vast mp3 collection
>mp3s
LMAO. what a shitty codec. Imagine not downloading all your music in FLAC
>i fucking love xfce
shitty bloat DE
>i fucking love monospace fonts
kill yourself

How's the A485?
Is linux support good?