A Rubik's cube...

>a Rubik's cube, except all the squares consist of tiny displays instead of paper/plastic so that if you want to reset it you can just violently shake it or something and the colors revert to where they should be
>recharges wirelessly (or somehow derives power from usage/friction of the pieces moving around), so no ports
Would it be possible?
Is there a market for this?
Would anybody buy this?

Attached: 1454518261410.jpg (800x571, 230K)

sure if the price is somewhat reasonable and you could speedcube with it people would buy it.

I like solving Rubiks Cubes so yes, it would be nice to not have to mix it back up when practicing for speed. Could also download custom configurations for practicing certain algorithms. I could also see things like a sudoku challenge or custom puzzles. Probably quite a few neat things could be done it users share creations online.

That said, it's going to be a niche market so you won't make it on volume unless you market this like mad and it becomes a fad.

>>a Rubik's cube, except all the squares consist of tiny displays instead of paper/plastic
Yes
>>so that if you want to reset it you can just violently shake it or something and the colors revert to where they should be
Yes
>>recharges wirelessly
Yes, but probably easier to use magnets or metal for contact charging
>>(or somehow derives power from usage/friction of the pieces moving around), so no ports
No, nowhere near enough power for displays
>>Would it be possible?
Yes
>>Is there a market for this?
Barely
>>Would anybody buy this?
Some people

Bro, we can talk to programs and tell them to turn our AC on, of course it's possible. It actually sounds pretty cool. Can load faces, like anime waifus? Or scenery? It'd be like a Rubiks cube but with artistic pictures. Be expensive as fuck though, so I don't know if people would buy. I imagine it'd make a cool gift during christmas time though. Put this shit on shark tank wtf

Considering that solving them is something you can look up how to do if you can't figure it out, you're going to have to find a way to keep this under $100 each. Maybe even under $50.
Also how are you going to power the corner cubelets?

I thought he meant shake to scramble the cube, that'd actually be pretty cool

>Could also download custom configurations for practicing certain algorithms.
>I could also see things like a sudoku challenge or custom puzzles.
>Can load faces, like anime waifus? Or scenery? It'd be like a Rubiks cube but with artistic pictures.

I really like these ideas but would we even be able to fit the electronic parts inside the cube in order to get support these features? I'd imagine the inner parts would have to be tiny.

>I thought he meant shake to scramble the cube
That could happen. Shake to solve if it's not solved, shake to scramble if it is.

Also, how would implementing wireless charging on all six sides effect the product? I wouldn't want to make the user have to remember to put the cube down on a specific side or anything like that.
Maybe it could sit on its corners in a cradle?

I think so. Maybe it can just have one screen, in cube shape, if possible, or just 4 screens, and it can be swiped to solve (people love swiping shit anyway). OP are you here looking to expand on your device?

>and it can be swiped to solve
This could be a cool puzzle of it's own, but without the physical movement it's not really a Rubik's Cube anymore. It's a new kind of puzzle box. Which could have it's own really interesting permutation, but it a different animal.

Regarding powering the pieces, the moving ones would need either mini batteries or would flicker as a connection changes when it connect to a new circuit. If done right it could look cool doing that though. Might be other ways as well. Not an engineer.

>can't actually use it like a normal cube since it's one big screen
it's cool in theory tho

No, no no. I don't want it to be one big screen.
I want it to be 56 tiny screens where the regular cube's squares should be. Tiny black bezels and all.

>OP are you here looking to expand on your device?
I'm down. I really think having lots of tiny screens is better from a tactile standpoint, though.

Stop posting about it user. You have a good niche idea. It won't make you millions but it will open opportunities for you.

that sounds pretty hard to wire

I'm not OP, was just expanding on his idea. But yeah, OP shouldn't spill ideas online if he wants to make money on them.

I'm kind of OK with someone else making my idea a reality because I know nothing about cubing, or electronics, or how to run a business effectively anyway. I have now idea how I'd even get it off the ground. And I don't really have any other good ideas outside of that one product, so I'm fine with someone else bringing it to life as long as they do it right.

I think it is possible but it would be cutting-edge if someone managed to this and it wasn't shite

Also the wiring would get all messed up since you're constantly moving it around

The internal rotation mechanism is incompatible with electrical wiring.
The 20 cubes that aren't fixed in place need to be physically connected to the battery without any wires twisting over each other.

What if you try to avoid wires as much as possible? A Rubik's Cube sits around a cross-shaped axle; could you make that axle conductive and have the electronics (batteries, processors, etc) sit in a sphere at the center? The battery could power the edge screens through the axle, and the edge pieces could power the corner pieces.

If you want to communicate between the non-fixed cubes and the central processing cube, you need to transmit data between the two. Even if you were able to power the cube in the way you describe, it's impossible to efficiently transmit data over that conductive surface -- all points would have roughly the same voltage.

Literally already have one of those. All the squares light up brightly when turned on. It's shit and slow.

Attached: IMG_20190316_212544729.jpg (2340x4160, 1.9M)

do you like swipe it around

>do you like swipe it around
yeah you slide your finger across a row and it will cycle all the colors over by one. But it's sensitive and sometimes it will rotate layers that you didn't intend to rotate.

Have you seen how fucking slow and choppy and laggy phones with fucking like 8gb of RAM are running stock android or FagOS? How the fuck are you gonna get these dogshit touchscreen displays to function properly let alone quick enough to speedcube? It would be nice to just tell it "Ok cube, reset and shuffle" and have it just werk, but not at the cost of everything else retarded overpriced dogshit.

>How the fuck are you gonna get these dogshit touchscreen displays to function properly let alone quick enough to speedcube?
You're misunderstanding the idea. The screens wouldn't be touch-sensitive at all, and they would rarely do anything other than constantly show the same solid colors. It's still a cube that moves like a regular one would. When you're lost and want to reset, just shake the cube and it goes back to square one.
So there would be no lag because, for the most part, the squares would do the same thing they'd do on a regular Rubik's cube.

>t. the 8-year-old who just learned what swearwords are

Screens aren't even necessary. All this really would need to be is a microcontroller driving 54 RGB LEDs

Oh, yeah. Never considered that.
Guess I overcomplicated things. The screens aren't really necessary.