Be honest, was he really that great a programmer?

Be honest, was he really that great a programmer?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(computing)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There are several "real reviews" of TempleOS online and they unanimously recognize the enormity of his accomplishment, but complain that it's not user friendly.

He probably had a 150+ IQ.

Honestly? Yeah.

To start an OS from a scratch is hard.

I believe he could see stuff like one else could

He was pretty good. He was not very fast though, it took him a very long time to get his OS to where it got. I suspect that's mostly because he kept getting sidetracked.

>Be honest, was he really that great a programmer?
no. Any average student could replicate what he did after taking an operating systems course in college.

Bullshit.

t. average cs student who took operating system course in college

Nice bait

>t. average cs student who took operating system course in college
got some bad news for you bub.

YES.
the real question are:
would he've been that great if he had taken his meds or his mental illness influenced his skills?
and:
if he was that great even while taking his meds, how much potential have the world lost with this great man?

>I believe he could see stuff like one else could
His OS and other creations was just like taking a peek into something from the early MS-DOS days
nothing he did was actually very original or special

Yes. Creating a useful OS by yourself is not easy. If he wasn't a good programmer when he was writing it, he became one halfway through it.

Here's your (You).

Attached: 1551300616081.png (1126x1900, 3.3M)

Hardly.
>[HolyC] is used to interact with the shell, and to write and execute entire applications from the shell. The IDE that comes with TempleOS supports several features, such as embedding images in code. It uses a non-standard text format (known as DolDoc) which has support for hypertext links, images and 3D meshes to be embedded into what are otherwise regular ASCII files.
He basically wrote a Lisp machine but with C. Merging the shell language and systems language is an amazing achievement. Compare this to Linux where you have to choose between C and Bash and waste time handling the interop between. HolyC doesn't require a main function because Unix/DOS style terminal arguments are retarded.

That's exactly what BASIC did in the early 80s

Yes, but TempleOS managed to pack in way more features without giving in to dumb distinctions.

Attached: 1552451611170.jpg (842x699, 61K)

>TempleOS managed to pack in way more features
did it?
TempleOS looks like something made in Basic in the 80s

>something must be bad because it looks bad aesthetically
You're a webmonkey aren't you?

>He basically wrote a Lisp machine but with C. Merging the shell language and systems language is an amazing achievement. Compare this to Linux where you have to choose between C and Bash and waste time handling the interop between. HolyC doesn't require a main function because Unix/DOS style terminal arguments are retarded.
It's not really something new or impossible to do, it's something nobody has tried because unix shit is good enough and nobody is interested in starting over at this point.

I wasn't talking about how it looked, its a very simple OS running even simpler programs
not that a simple OS isn't an achievement in itself

>It's not really something new or impossible to do, it's something nobody has tried because unix shit is good enough and nobody is interested in starting over at this point.
Everything is good enough if there's no better competition.

Attached: 1549836664621.jpg (238x250, 10K)

well the competition isn't gonna be able to defeat all the decades of software that Linux, Mac and Windows have. There is too much catching up to do.

your glowing user

Attached: FROGGY.png (1314x1222, 51K)

I didn't do that at college

Honestly? No.

Anyone who spends years of their life devoting themselves destructively to a single task can be great at something.

Does that make Terry a great programmer? Yes. Naturally gifted? ehh... Not exactly.

I took it once, completely lost it and dropped it at the task scheduler.

This is irrelevant to OP's question.
isn't something your average programmer could do, regardless of whether it was impactful or unique.

Yeah.
Normally I wouldn't reply to this bait, but the last 4 digits of your post line up with my CPU (A8-5557M).

>looks like
how about you use it
let me know when basic can output .bmp to a shell window

Based froggy.png poster
I saved it from that thread too. I nope'd out when he started posting the family pics from that PC though and the incest story.

>let me know when basic can output .bmp to a shell window
it can do it right now so consider this your notification

that's amazing, which shell? did terry write his own shell too?

same here, froggy.png is the best thing that came from that thread

He wrote a fucking compiler

Attached: 1503858785057.jpg (599x510, 26K)

pretty sure they make college students do that these days

python powered?

Everything in TempleOS was written by Terry and Terry alone. So yes

yeah no, i realized that's a stupid question you're talking about lisp
I can't get emacs to show pictures yet but ill figure it out

probably haskell

He was a great programmer, and inspired me to go back to school for computer engineering.

What's the thread? I wanna see the incest story

kek, sometimes shitty bait can be funny.

a boy scout can build a pinewood derby car, therefor he should be able to change a transmission

Attached: 1551415014643.jpg (220x229, 4K)

Best thread

Does it really matter when what he made is completely useless?

>microkernels

ishygddt

Attached: 269.jpg (800x800, 112K)

use·less
/ˈyo͞osləs/

adjective: useless

not fulfilling or not expected to achieve the intended purpose or desired outcome.

What was the intended purpose , and how did it not achieve it ?

Attached: 1498244158420.png (727x682, 168K)

but there are many talented programmers far better than Terry, without the mental illness baggage

Attached: mqdefault.jpg (320x180, 6K)

Do the nand2tetris course. Writing a compiler isn’t shit. I’ve written one

Shell
TempleOS has its own programming language, HolyC. The whole operating system is written in it, except for x64 assembly in the lower-level parts. Perhaps unexpectedly, the same language is also used for the shell. That's right, you execute shell commands using a C-like language, and they go directly into the compiler.

Every filename printed in the shell is a hyperlink. You can right-click to get a context menu on each one.

There is no built-in calculator application, because the shell itself is one. Just enter 5+7 on the command line and you'll get the answer. You can even go further than this and use the shell as a REPL to build entire programs in.

You have a menu file which sits in your home directory, and it accessible at any time by hitting Ctrl-M. By editing this file, you can create any kind of launcher you wish. Most files auto-save on exit, but this one does not. This means you can also use it as a popup scratchpad.

TempleOS has system-wide autocomplete. You can hit Ctrl-F1 at any point and get a list of completable words. Not just filenames, but also symbol names. All source code is indexed and you can jump to any function from anywhere, even from the shell. The same system works in any program throughout the OS.

TempleOS's unified hypertext really shines when presented in the shell. From the command-line, you can call Uf("Foo") to disassemble a function, and each symbol printed will be hyperlinked in the shell window. Click on it to go to the source. objdump can't do that.

The Type() function is used to display files, like DOS's type or Unix's cat. Of course, hypertext is respected. You can even use Type to show .BMP files directly in the shell. It raises an interesting challenge for other OSs - why do shells have to be pure text? Why can't we have a multimedia shell?

Attached: templeshell.png (640x480, 16K)

God restricted him
parameters were enforced by his mental illness

great? nah. He was just obsessed.

Anyone could do what he did if given enough autism.

all this project was just like create a big castle of sand on the beach sad

>many talented programmers
True
>far better than Terry
False, Terry's achievements should not be understated, he can be easily placed among some of the most respected programmers of his time. Very few programmers have the ambition, knowledge and intellectual capability to match him, much less overshadow him.

>It raises an interesting challenge for other OSs - why do shells have to be pure text?
Have you heard about graphical user interfaces
you can move your mouse around and click on pictures and there's these things calls windows and icons, man it's amazing

>Very few programmers have the ambition, knowledge and intellectual capability to match him, much less overshadow him.
What he made was thorough but basic. He's not an amazing programmer. It's building a house out of popsicle sticks. Smart programmers work on difficult problems. He made something that was easy to do and didn't contain any unsolved problems

Have you heard of shells? They aren't bloated with icons, a myriad of toolbars and a button for each and every single function; meaningful content is at the forefront ready to be digested without having to wade through some hack designers appearance-over-function interface.

GUIs and CLIs are both shells, also you're a moron

that's pretty special

fuck off terry

What Terry did was not "easy to do" by any extent of the imagination. Not all good programmers work on hard, unsolved problems, optimization and redefinition of existing technologies and solutions is important and can present equally challenging problems to overcome. Problems that other developers in the past once failed to overcome themselves.

Optimization existing solutions is solving unsolved problems. Solving unsolved problems IS what makes a good programmer, treading ground other people have already treaded is meaningless. I'm sure he did have to do a significant amount of problem solving just to deal with all the specifics of making an OS, but overall it's not an amazing feat of programming or intelligence. The OS itself is very basic

This is not true, applications with GUIs are often not shells, rather than providing access to system services they provide access to services within a self-contained environment.

shell = interface to your operating system
GUIs and CLIs both qualify
has nothing to do with what they let you access

>It raises an interesting challenge for other OSs - why do shells have to be pure text? Why can't we have a multimedia shell?
Programs are built to run in their own memory spaces and take an array of strings as their only option. If the OS took care of this, then it would be possible to auto generate basic UIs for every programs. TempleOS doesn't have the dumb main function convention so it's possible to give functions a meaningful type signature. If TempleOS supports enough reflection to get the signature of a function, you could easily design an auto-gui tool. You could make an even better one if you added special hooks for custom objects.

It's an amazing feat considering he had a severe and debilitating mental illness. It's an interesting OS because everything is run in kernelmode and there are no virtual memory addresses. That alone makes him more intelligent than your run of the mill nodejs retard CIA nigger.

>It's an interesting OS because everything is run in kernelmode and there are no virtual memory addresses. That alone makes him more intelligent
No, that's the simplest possible way to implement an operating system

>has nothing to do with what they let you access
Yes it does, shells can be wrappers a la email clients or web browsers, but an image manipulation program like GIMP isn't considered a shell. The definition does not apply in general to every single application with a GUI.

in the context of an operating system 'shell' is considered the interface, which can be graphical or command line

He's one of the best ever.

he was a schizo not a down

Yeah you can have a graphical shell for your OS, but why? Hotkeys are far more efficient, and to that end a GUI bloated with a button and icon for every function only ends up detracting from potential room for content. You can stick to navigating ten different menus just to perform a simple task, I'll stick with hotkeys and tab completion.

Using a GUI with a mouse when presented with a set of discrete options (especially ones you aren't yet familiar with) is significantly lower effort than using a CLI
This is common sense, you're just an idiot

you can type far far faster than you can point-and-click if you know what you're doing

yeah, it's just higher effort
and when you're presented with options you're unfamilar with, it's easier to navigate that with a GUI

I still haven't seen (you) fa/g/s take ownership of Terry's death...
>man up teddie
>or Lord woo lad will smite thee

i agree

If he were working at a silicon valley company, he'd easily pull $300K+ with his skill.

he made his own compiler, boot loader, graphics library, etc. you tell me, cia nigger.

>yeah, it's just higher effort
i understand what you mean but also at the same time lmao it's pressing a few buttons nigga

It's clear TempleOS wouldn't been as shilled if Terry only focused on tech instead of religion and politics.

it's a higher cognitive load

when did he say anything about politics? Is hating glowing CIA niggers political?

Yes, but with tools like bison and shit. Not from scratch, not as powerful and not even coming close to bootstrapping all of that.
Fuck you, nigger

Attached: clown.gif (511x512, 105K)

how do you know how powerful his compliler was

because i read quite a bit of its source

>I am a pedantic fucktard and also an idiot! Hurr durr dee durr durr!

A GUI is not a shell you shitfuck and no GUI is ever faster in the long run than a well tooled CLI. Theres a reason automating a huge variety of tasks in linux is done with bash scripts that chain cli tools rather than some bloated GUI monstrosity and thats simply because a GUI is a fixed operation. Its limited completely by how well one can describe its functionality in pictures and visual commands. Inlining visual information to a shell is incredibly valuable because you no longer limit functionality and extensibility by the whims or limits of the gui.

Plus: eventhough C is a small language, coding a compiler for it is pretty hard work. Also it is a fucking JIT compiler, not interpreter, which is quite impressive

He wrote a compiler for a no networking 640x480 OS. It's a unique novelty project, but nothing else and nothing more.

>solving unsolved problems is what makes a good programmer
Wasn't aware a good programmer had to be a published researcher.

yes built his own os from scratch not some gay fork

>A GUI is not a shell you shitfuck
google the term
>no GUI is ever faster in the long run than a well tooled CLI
For everyday desktop use, a GUI is faster

>researchers are the only people who solve problems

No he wrote a compiler for a JIT no-main c variant that he built an entire operating system on top of. The resolution limit and networking were arbitrary and forks of it included them almost immediately.

>Im not wrong cause I said so
Either argue your point or fuck off, a GUI is not a shell unless you want to be a pedantic retard.

>Either argue your point or fuck off
already did if you read the posts you linked to

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(computing)
>In computing, a shell is a user interface for access to an operating system's services. In general, operating system shells use either a command-line interface (CLI) or graphical user interface (GUI)

I don't know. I still admire his perseverance though.

Forgot to mention that it's well under 100k LoC with support both FAT32 and RedSea.

I was there

Attached: froggy.png (804x566, 27K)